Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book

Author
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2008/05/03 15:57:04 (permalink)

Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book

I picked up this book the other day at Barnes and Noble by George Motz....then realized one of the restaurants was only about 20 minutes away from our house. We tried it for lunch and VOILA!! A great local family place to take the kids out for lunch or dinner.

13 Replies Related Threads

shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 16:02:48 (permalink)
    So what's the name of the restaurant? That burger and onion rings really caught my attention.
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 16:21:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shortchef

So what's the name of the restaurant? That burger and onion rings really caught my attention.

Oh Dear, sorry about that!!
    The restaurant is called "Gahanna Grill" in Gahanna (a suburb of Columbus,Ohio)
    You have your choice of fries or onion rings and the plain cole slaw is meant to be put on your burger and eaten but I think many people prefer it separate.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 17:21:37 (permalink)
    Did someone say Gahanna?

RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 17:34:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mrs.Crunch

That's a nice looking burger and rings Mrs.Crunch..there's nothing better then a local find (local defined as 2 hours drive or less )
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 17:55:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

quote:
    Originally posted by Mrs.Crunch

That's a nice looking burger and rings Mrs.Crunch..there's nothing better then a local find (local defined as 2 hours drive or less )

Larry, indeed you are right on the money!
    I have been pondering a "trip report" of a report .... shall we say a hometown shout out of places w/ food pictures of my favorite places to take an out of town guest if they were to visit Columbus Ohio...ya know what they say..don't know where to eat?? Ask the locals!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 18:00:44 (permalink)
    Gahanna Grill in Columbus has Great Food!
    The Gahanna Grill in Columbus hasn't changed location since it opened and it was around during the time of horse drawn wagons.

This has all the small town charm and everyone knows everyone. You'll find sports jerseys (autographed) and the tables advertise for the local businesses.
    Well known for their hamburgers, their specialty is the "Beanie Burger." Some say it's named for the creator that cooked it. Then it was the Beanie Vesner "Boomer Burger" named back in the days of the Hoover Depression.

The Beanie Burger is loaded with fried onions, slaw and lettuce, pickles and tomatoes.

Word has it if you eat an entire double Beanie Burger, you'll get your picture taken in the Gahanna Grill t-shirt and be one of the famous faces on the Beanie Burger Hall of Fame.

They are known to have contests. And there have even been some that could eat three Beanie Burgers! Good luck, those burgers are gigantic!

Other specialty burgers are the Academy Burger that's loaded with Swiss cheese, grilled onions and bacon and the Patty Melt that's loaded with mushrooms, blue cheese and Swiss.

They do serve other food like yummy prime rib, chicken and pork chops along with great homemade desserts.

It's not a fancy place, but it's one of the friendliest places around, and they make you feel right at home.

And no doubt, you'll get plenty to eat and it's all homemade cooking! It's my kind of place!
    Review off of the web........
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18646
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 18:02:13 (permalink)
    The Gahanna Grill happens to be a bar that has pretty good hamburgers. That one is the Beanie Burger. I prefer just a regular cheeseburger with grilled onions. It's the same size burger, but it doesn't have all the other junk on it. Also, the Beanie Burger does not have raw onions. It has grilled onions, slaw, bacon, cheese, pickles, lettuce and tomato.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 18:12:21 (permalink)
    This is weird. I had a "Beanie Burger" at Gahanna Grill last summer and the onions were grilled and the slaw was on the sandwich. Have they changed the way they make them? Or did you dig up a picture that looked like what you might have had?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 18:47:21 (permalink)
    There are a number of threads on Roadfood that have mentioned the Gahanna Grill.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5558&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11352&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2783&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21754&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7288&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7574&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=gahanna%20grill

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13660&SearchTerms=gahanna+grill

Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 19:16:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

This is weird. I had a "Beanie Burger" at Gahanna Grill last summer and the onions were grilled and the slaw was on the sandwich. Have they changed the way they make them? Or did you dig up a picture that looked like what you might have had?

Hi there, this is actually just their Bacon Cheeseburger, not their signature "Beanie Burger". I do like cole slaw but just not literally on my burger. Happy Hamburger hunting!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 19:37:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

The Gahanna Grill in Columbus hasn't changed location since it opened and it was around during the time of horse drawn wagons.

The Gahanna Grill wasn't around when there were horse drawn wagons. It first opened in 1939, according to the owners.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 21:11:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

The Gahanna Grill wasn't around when there were horse drawn wagons. It first opened in 1939, according to the owners.

Some might think 1939 was horse drawn wagon times. No Amish nearby?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Bacon ch.Burger out of "Hamburger America" Book 2008/05/03 22:02:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Some might think 1939 was horse drawn wagon times. No Amish nearby?

No Amish within horse-drawn wagon range of Gahanna. And, as someone who was around in 1939, the only horse-drawn wagons in use where I lived were ice wagons and rag wagons.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1