The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bacon-a wonderful thing

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76
Sundancer7

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Sun, 06/4/06 7:47 PM (permalink)
They did not do that in Knoxville, but there is a lot of stuff they do not do in Knoxville.

We are such a behind the time town.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 9:59 AM (permalink)
    You sold baacon gease back to the grocery store? Not in NC. Of coursee my Mother used to tell me about harvesting asparagus from the road side ditches around Miramar each spring.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 10:14 AM (permalink)
      My Dad told me about radio ads telling ladies to return their fat cans to the butcher for the War Effort. Problem was ladies don't have fat cans (ba-dum-bum!).

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
        I thought it might have to do with WWII but I was only 3 yrs old at the end of the war so I really don't think I had the recall of those years. Did the 'recycling' of bacon fats continue after the war?
        This was in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. We moved there in 1944 (I was two at the time). I do recall the Horse Meat section of our local supermarket Butcher counter selling both roasts and ground Horse Meat at one end of the glass-cased meat counter. That was in the late 40's, but before the start of the Korean Conflict(1950). I cannot place the timing of the grease collection except that it fell into that basic period of time. I also have no knowledge as to WHY the grease was being collected.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
          RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 10:41 AM (permalink)
          I am one of the older "gentlemen" here and I worked in the A&P during the summer of 46---we didn't take in any bacon drippings that I recall. But my Mom had a can of bacon fat in the fridge all the time and because I always did what Mother told me --- as far as she knew----- I have one in my fridge all the time. Also, I was around before, during, and after WW2 and don't remember any money being laid out for the bacon drippings, but it could have happened. During the war we had ration cars and bacon was one of the things that was difficult to buy. Butter, bacon, and coffee were all rationed so Sunday Breakfast was not nearly as good as it is now. Oatmeal, eggs and milk were not rationed so "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer cherce".

Ashphalt

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 10:58 AM (permalink)
            According to the Straight Dope, used fat was used to make glycerine! (And presumably from there, such things as Nitroglycerine, then dynamite?)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020531.html

V960

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
              This will wander a bit from the topic but I was a "surprise" to two folks who went through WWII and were much older than they should have been to have a child. My Father was a Navy Commander during the war and served at P'cola at the beginning. They had most of the second level officers renting in a huge house at Verdido Bay. They had all the bacon, butter , steaks and bread they could handle. They would simply toss out everything on Friday afternoon and replenish it. This was during the rationing.

The mess XO was one of the residents. They basically partied every weekend for a year. They all got sent to the Pacific area later and only 1/3 came back.

My Father, who was born on the east side of NYC, always wanted his bacon as limp as possible and my Mother, being from E. Tn. fried it as crisp as fat back. I like it both ways. Limp and chewy or crisp and crunchy...both work for me.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 11:50 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by V960

Pepper poppers can be wonderful or fast food junk. Jack in the Box sells what the call a popper but it is only so-so. I make mine to easy way.

Split the jalapeno length wise, remove the seeds and membranes, fill w/ cream cheese mixed w/ a spicy rub (I use recipe from Emeril's), place a short piece of bacon on top, place on a sheet pan and bake at 350F for about twenty minutes.

If you want to do it the traditional way go to the website below.

http://leos.zoovy.com/category/chile_grills/

That sounds good. Thanks.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                  RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 12:35 PM (permalink)
                  Pepper Bacon on meat loaf with B.B.Q. glaze, cooked for one hour at a 375 degree oven. Nothing like it.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 1:03 PM (permalink)
                    Michael,
                    A lot of places list Poppers or something very close to that on their appetizer menu. Most of them are Jalapenos stuffed with Cream cheese, then batter dipped and deep-fried. Some like the ones described by V960, are baked with the cream cheese melting a bit.
                    My neighbors in SoCal taught me that using the Jalapeno to hold either tuna'salad' or Guacamole(sp) was a real treat too, but it wasn't referred to as a Popper, rather a 'Stuffed Pepper'.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 7:12 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

You sold baacon gease back to the grocery store? Not in NC. Of coursee my Mother used to tell me about harvesting asparagus from the road side ditches around Miramar each spring.

We also used to go out Miramar Rd. to get asparagus. It was the late fifties, Miramar Rd. was dirt, and the only business was a produce stand where the guy used to give us kids sticks of sugar cane.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                        RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 7:37 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Michael,
                        A lot of places list Poppers or something very close to that on their appetizer menu. Most of them are Jalapenos stuffed with Cream cheese, then batter dipped and deep-fried. Some like the ones described by V960, are baked with the cream cheese melting a bit.
                        My neighbors in SoCal taught me that using the Jalapeno to hold either tuna'salad' or Guacamole(sp) was a real treat too, but it wasn't referred to as a Popper, rather a 'Stuffed Pepper'.

Important to notice is that the ABT recipe I posted is grilled/broiled. No deep fried crapola here. I have prepared this several times now; the results being always excellent, but not hot enough for me. The jalapeno's I get are always almost always wimpy. The next time I do this I will stuff with hot chorizo. Cream cheese is too bland for me, also. I have tried alternative of stuffing with pimento cheese spread; still to bland. My next venture will use the chorizo along with some shredded pepperjack cheese mixed with cream cheese. I am also wanting to do a total habernero version but I have yet to find some good peppers locally.

Adjudicator

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 7:51 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

Michael,

Important to notice is that the ABT recipe I posted is grilled/broiled. No deep fried crapola here. I have prepared this several times now; the results being always excellent, but not hot enough for me. The jalapeno's I get are always almost always wimpy. The next time I do this I will stuff with hot chorizo. Cream cheese is too bland for me, also. I have tried alternative of stuffing with pimento cheese spread; still to bland. My next venture will use the chorizo along with some shredded pepperjack cheese mixed with cream cheese. I am also wanting to do a total habernero version but I have yet to find some good peppers locally.

V960

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/5/06 8:37 PM (permalink)
                            Adjudicator,
                            Try this before you go full bore scotch bonnet. Mix some very finely chopped habs/scotch bonnets into the cream cheese before stuffing a jalapenos. I tried this once for a friend who is of your bent...hotter the better. He was quite happy but the other chap whopo stole one off his plate was not. The burn sneaks up on you since it is in the crean cheese.

Adjudicator

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Tue, 06/6/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

Adjudicator,
                              Try this before you go full bore scotch bonnet. Mix some very finely chopped habs/scotch bonnets into the cream cheese before stuffing a jalapenos. I tried this once for a friend who is of your bent...hotter the better. He was quite happy but the other chap whopo stole one off his plate was not. The burn sneaks up on you since it is in the crean cheese.

Notice I didn't say that I would make the whole BATCH habenero. One or two or four of my next batch will be of the habenero variety. Scoville units or not -- yum-yum. Of note I have done this before, actually.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Fri, 06/9/06 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                I always keep a small jar of bacon grease in the frig. Put a dollop in my pinto beans, green beans, and gravy.

A good way to fix bacon for parties is to cut a pound of bacon in half, twist the slices and roll in brown sugar and cin. mixture. Bake in the oven. Store in tight container. These are very good and tasty.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                  RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Fri, 06/9/06 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

I always keep a small jar of bacon grease in the frig. Put a dollop in my pinto beans, green beans, and gravy.

A good way to fix bacon for parties is to cut a pound of bacon in half, twist the slices and roll in brown sugar and cin. mixture. Bake in the oven. Store in tight container. These are very good and tasty.

Sounds great, 50/50 on the brown sugar and cin, bake at what temp?

Thanks,

John

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Fri, 06/9/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                    I like to cook little potatoes with the skins on until they're just barely done. I chill them overnight, wrap each in 1/2 slice of bacon, stick on skewers (going through the bacon) and grill until the bacon is done, brushing with BBQ sauce. Those potatoes with some fresh ears of corn and sliced tomatoes are one of our favorite summer meals.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/12/06 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                      Sorry John A - up to you on how much cin./brown sug. combo. I like more bs less cin. Bake at 350 deg. for about 15-20 min. Watch, don't let them burn but make sure they are brown and crisp.

John A

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/12/06 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

Sorry John A - up to you on how much cin./brown sug. combo. I like more bs less cin. Bake at 350 deg. for about 15-20 min. Watch, don't let them burn but make sure they are brown and crisp.

Thank you, they sure sound good. Bet my grandchildren will love them, let you know.

John

Sundancer7

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Mon, 06/12/06 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Michael,

ADJ: grow your own habaneros. They ain't difficult. I had three plants two years ago and I had a bushel. Beautiful peppers but way to hot for me. I bought them at Walmart and they had mislabeled them. I thought I was getting jalapenos.

I let the habaneros dry, ground them up and put them in my bird feed. It was fun to watch the squirrels froth at the mouth.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                            RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/14/06 2:25 AM (permalink)
                                            Love bacon.

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                                              RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/14/06 3:03 AM (permalink)
                                              Paul:
                                              That's fascinating! I always thought that habaneros were a tropical plant. Can you actually grow them outdoors in a temperate climate?

I absolutely love them. I will have to check the next time I am in a plant store.

Ashphalt

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/14/06 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                In my experience, most hot peppers will grow in a temperate climate, but tend to need long hours of daylight to produce a crop of mature fruit. Here in New England it can be pretty tough, and a cold rainy start like this year is a pretty good indicator of low/poor quality yield.

Sundancer7

RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/14/06 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  All peppers grow well in Tennessee. I usually raise bell, jalapeno and banana peppers. What I do not use, I chop up and freeze along with some of my onions. They freeze elcellent and are handy during the winter when I need the combination. Open a freezer bag and use.

I do not raise cayenne cause they are way to hot for me. The habanero's were a mistake but I used them in the bird feed.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

John A

• Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/14/06 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    We usually fry up 1/2 pound of bacon to make a couple of BLT's. Wife is out of town so I had to eat the whole thing by myself this morning, stuffed as much as I could on the bread with lettuce, tomato and Heinz mayo. Ate the rest on the side, man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

John

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                                      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Sat, 06/24/06 2:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      The bacon from the meat market is so good. It isnt nearly as salty as the store bought stuff and is doesnt have a lot of fat. It is pricey though.

Adjudicator

• Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Sat, 06/24/06 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by John A

We usually fry up 1/2 pound of bacon to make a couple of BLT's. Wife is out of town so I had to eat the whole thing by myself this morning, stuffed as much as I could on the bread with lettuce, tomato and Heinz mayo. Ate the rest on the side, man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

John

Bummer...

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                                          • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                          RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Sat, 06/24/06 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

I will dice the bacon and render the fat off in a pot. As they become translucent, I will add onions. This is my technique for canned beans enhancement. Brown sugar and molasses will be added too.

I prepare my my bacon in the same way you do, except I have never tried cinnamon. Sounds good. I do coat the pieces with crushed black peppercorns from my spice mill. This creates a great caramelized peppercorn bacon.

mark

Adjudicator

• Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                            RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Sat, 06/24/06 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Michael,

ADJ: grow your own habaneros. They ain't difficult. I had three plants two years ago and I had a bushel. Beautiful peppers but way to hot for me. I bought them at Walmart and they had mislabeled them. I thought I was getting jalapenos.

I let the habaneros dry, ground them up and put them in my bird feed. It was fun to watch the squirrels froth at the mouth.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Have grown hot peppers in past; habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne, bananna, et.al. They grow WAY to well in my area. The last time I grew them I had so many that most were wasted due to abundance. The only pepper I have grown that did not fare well was the common bell pepper. Strange.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com