The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Bacon-a wonderful thing

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76
Author Message
Davwud

  • Total Posts: 503
  • Joined: 6/25/2006
  • Location: Toronto, On/Huntsville, AL
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Tue, 06/27/06 7:43 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Growing up I recall there was always an empty (cleaned) peaunt butter jar in the fridge full of bacon drippings. I'm guessing not many people do this anymore.


I have one with bacon drippings and one with the drippings leftover from the shoulder when I make BBQ. I also have one with duck fat in it but that's another thread.
 
#61
    Salustra

    • Total Posts: 510
    • Joined: 12/17/2004
    • Location: Escondido, CA
    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Tue, 06/27/06 3:48 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

    Growing up I recall there was always an empty (cleaned) peaunt butter jar in the fridge full of bacon drippings. I'm guessing not many people do this anymore.

    I'm betting that anyone who makes decent cornbread does....
     
    #62
      shortchef

      • Total Posts: 624
      • Joined: 1/28/2004
      • Location: Nokomis, FL
      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Tue, 06/27/06 4:22 PM (permalink)
      And so do I. A little Rubbermaid container, and I use a little in fried potatoes and onions, baked beans, and vinegar based BBQ sauce for my pork. My mother, a Tennessee girl, had a peanut butter jar in the fridge too. Some things never change, thank goodness.
       
      #63
        Rick F.

        • Total Posts: 1736
        • Joined: 8/16/2002
        • Location: Natchitoches, LA
        RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Tue, 06/27/06 4:46 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by shortchef

        My mother, a Tennessee girl, had a peanut butter jar in the fridge too. Some things never change, thank goodness.
        This actually a question for everybody who mentioned keeping bacon drippings in the fridge: Why? I don't remember my mother's doing so, and for the 40 years of my ± adult life we've just kept them on the stove-top. They've never presented a problem of any kind--rancidity or anything.
         
        #64
          mbrookes

          • Total Posts: 1350
          • Joined: 10/8/2004
          • Location: Jackson, MS
          RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/28/06 1:43 PM (permalink)
          RickF, thanks for mentioning that. I also keep my bacon grease out on the counter...it's in one of those cans with a strainer and a lid that come with a big s&p set. I've never had a problem with it. Maybe I use it up so fast that it can't go bad.
           
          #65
            Catracks

            • Total Posts: 196
            • Joined: 6/24/2003
            • Location: Southern, CA
            RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/28/06 3:52 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            This actually a question for everybody who mentioned keeping bacon drippings in the fridge: Why? I don't remember my mother's doing so, and for the 40 years of my ± adult life we've just kept them on the stove-top. They've never presented a problem of any kind--rancidity or anything.


            More homes had glass range sets (Sugar, flour, pepper, salt) that also including a drippings jar that did indeed sit on the stove. At our house this sits out as does the butter. No rancidity problem here either. I really haven't a clue as to why they don't make these anymore.
             
            #66
              Salustra

              • Total Posts: 510
              • Joined: 12/17/2004
              • Location: Escondido, CA
              RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/28/06 4:45 PM (permalink)
              Actually, my Mom also kept her bacon drippings on the counter/stovetop. Her container looked like a teapot, but had a strainer to catch 'chunks' of whatever had been cooked in the grease, with the good stuff draining through to be stored in the kettle part. When you needed some, it was 'tip me over, pour me out', just like pouring tea.
              Now that it's just her and Dad, she keeps it in the fridge in a ceramic 'pig' that holds a soup can.
              The only problem I have with leaving my butter dish out of the fridge is that the butter melts right off the dish in the 90+ degree heat we're having for the next several months...
               
              #67
                MilwFoodlovers

                • Total Posts: 3090
                • Joined: 3/31/2001
                • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/28/06 10:21 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                The only problem I have with leaving my butter dish out of the fridge is that the butter melts right off the dish in the 90+ degree heat we're having for the next several months...


                I've got what's called a French butter bell. It's a round ceramic container that allows you to load a 1/4 # in the cover which is then placed in a 1/2 inch of water in its base. The butter stays cool, fresh and soft and unless I drop it, it should last forever (the container that is; the butter would last at least a month if we were gone).

                 
                #68
                  Bushie

                  • Total Posts: 2902
                  • Joined: 4/21/2001
                  • Location: Round Rock, TX
                  RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 06/28/06 11:14 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

                  I've got what's called a French butter bell. It's a round ceramic container that allows you to load a 1/4 # in the cover which is then placed in a 1/2 inch of water in its base. The butter stays cool, fresh and soft and unless I drop it, it should last forever (the container that is; the butter would last at least a month if we were gone).



                  I bought one of those things a few months ago after reading a post about them by tiki. I LOVE it. I bought mine from:
                  http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/
                   
                  #69
                    caver

                    • Total Posts: 104
                    • Joined: 11/5/2004
                    • Location: Murfreesboro, TN
                    RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Fri, 06/30/06 5:53 PM (permalink)
                    I like to take bacon and wrap it around small chunks of steak and grill it. Just a sprinkling of pepper and garlic powder. You can toothpick it, or skewer several toghether. Keeps the steak more tender and moist especially if you pound it a bit first. And you can use cheaper cuts of beef.

                    But really, if you wrap bacon around it what won't people eat? ;-)
                     
                    #70
                      alb

                      • Total Posts: 47
                      • Joined: 7/27/2004
                      • Location: Dayton, OH
                      RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 07/12/06 12:32 AM (permalink)
                      Bacon, YUM! It's good in almost anything but IMHO, you just can't beat it loaded on a BLT or a cheeseburger. And when I'm having pancakes I like to dip it into the maple syrup. Thicker is better!
                       
                      #71
                        CasperImproved

                        • Total Posts: 59
                        • Joined: 12/14/2005
                        • Location: MI, USA
                        RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Thu, 07/13/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
                        I save bacon grease also... I am just not as "high quality" as some... When I'm done with cooking bacon, and "if" I don't have a plan for using the grease, I let it cool enough to put it in a one lb container that used to have margarine in it :-), put it in the fridge, then use it in the future for eggs, gravy, hash browns, etc. The bacon itself I normally use for breakfast, BLTs, or the meat add-in for a pasta dish.

                        I don't know why it "needs" to go in the fridge, but it seems to portion out better as a solid. Plus... I don't have to worry about spoilage.

                        Someone else mentioned.... everything is better with bacon.. other then in a few instances, I would have to agree with that.

                        I primarily use Olive Oil for cooking, but some things just *need* to have bacon grease to be at their peak ;-)

                        Casper
                         
                        #72
                          Adjudicator

                          • Total Posts: 5057
                          • Joined: 5/20/2003
                          • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                          RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Thu, 07/13/06 7:34 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by caver

                          I like to take bacon and wrap it around small chunks of steak and grill it. Just a sprinkling of pepper and garlic powder. You can toothpick it, or skewer several toghether. Keeps the steak more tender and moist especially if you pound it a bit first. And you can use cheaper cuts of beef.

                          But really, if you wrap bacon around it what won't people eat? ;-)


                          I agree. Bacon is also good wrapped around chicken livers. That's the only way I will eat that otherwise nasty meat. Don't forget the ABT's, though!
                           
                          #73
                            sinkiller

                            • Total Posts: 57
                            • Joined: 6/26/2006
                            • Location: venice, CA
                            RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 07/19/06 11:42 AM (permalink)
                            I don't believe I've ever met anyone who doesn't LOVE Bacon.

                            Raths Silver Lable best commercial brand IMHO.

                            Penrose, darn good also.
                             
                            #74
                              Rusty246

                              • Total Posts: 2413
                              • Joined: 7/15/2003
                              • Location: Newberry, FL
                              RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 07/19/06 11:52 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Bushie

                              quote:
                              Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

                              I've got what's called a French butter bell. It's a round ceramic container that allows you to load a 1/4 # in the cover which is then placed in a 1/2 inch of water in its base. The butter stays cool, fresh and soft and unless I drop it, it should last forever (the container that is; the butter would last at least a month if we were gone).



                              I bought one of those things a few months ago after reading a post about them by tiki. I LOVE it. I bought mine from:
                              http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

                              My Mother gave me one of these. The first time I used it my butter went PLOP right into the water. I'm assuming it's because I used whipped butter. I've yet to try it again as my daughter decided to use the base for a candle holder.....
                               
                              #75
                                Heartburn

                                RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing Wed, 07/19/06 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                I'm in my 70's and during WW11 we saved bacon and other grease to turn in for the war effort.
                                I believe it was used to make explosives
                                We also saved many things such as tin foil,old tires tin cans,ect
                                We had a pile at our grammar school that we added scrap iron old clothing and other such things
                                 
                                #76
                                  Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 76 of 76

                                  Jump to:

                                  Current active users

                                  There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                  Icon Legend and Permission

                                  • New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

                                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com