Bacon-a wonderful thing

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/27 07:43:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Growing up I recall there was always an empty (cleaned) peaunt butter jar in the fridge full of bacon drippings. I'm guessing not many people do this anymore.

I have one with bacon drippings and one with the drippings leftover from the shoulder when I make BBQ. I also have one with duck fat in it but that's another thread.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/27 15:48:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Growing up I recall there was always an empty (cleaned) peaunt butter jar in the fridge full of bacon drippings. I'm guessing not many people do this anymore.

I'm betting that anyone who makes decent cornbread does....
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/27 16:22:45 (permalink)
And so do I. A little Rubbermaid container, and I use a little in fried potatoes and onions, baked beans, and vinegar based BBQ sauce for my pork. My mother, a Tennessee girl, had a peanut butter jar in the fridge too. Some things never change, thank goodness.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/27 16:46:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

My mother, a Tennessee girl, had a peanut butter jar in the fridge too. Some things never change, thank goodness.
This actually a question for everybody who mentioned keeping bacon drippings in the fridge: Why? I don't remember my mother's doing so, and for the 40 years of my ± adult life we've just kept them on the stove-top. They've never presented a problem of any kind--rancidity or anything.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/28 13:43:47 (permalink)
RickF, thanks for mentioning that. I also keep my bacon grease out on the counter...it's in one of those cans with a strainer and a lid that come with a big s&p set. I've never had a problem with it. Maybe I use it up so fast that it can't go bad.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/28 15:52:41 (permalink)
quote:
This actually a question for everybody who mentioned keeping bacon drippings in the fridge: Why? I don't remember my mother's doing so, and for the 40 years of my ± adult life we've just kept them on the stove-top. They've never presented a problem of any kind--rancidity or anything.

More homes had glass range sets (Sugar, flour, pepper, salt) that also including a drippings jar that did indeed sit on the stove. At our house this sits out as does the butter. No rancidity problem here either. I really haven't a clue as to why they don't make these anymore.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/28 16:45:54 (permalink)
Actually, my Mom also kept her bacon drippings on the counter/stovetop. Her container looked like a teapot, but had a strainer to catch 'chunks' of whatever had been cooked in the grease, with the good stuff draining through to be stored in the kettle part. When you needed some, it was 'tip me over, pour me out', just like pouring tea.
Now that it's just her and Dad, she keeps it in the fridge in a ceramic 'pig' that holds a soup can.
The only problem I have with leaving my butter dish out of the fridge is that the butter melts right off the dish in the 90+ degree heat we're having for the next several months...
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/28 22:21:42 (permalink)
quote:
The only problem I have with leaving my butter dish out of the fridge is that the butter melts right off the dish in the 90+ degree heat we're having for the next several months...

I've got what's called a French butter bell. It's a round ceramic container that allows you to load a 1/4 # in the cover which is then placed in a 1/2 inch of water in its base. The butter stays cool, fresh and soft and unless I drop it, it should last forever (the container that is; the butter would last at least a month if we were gone).

Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/28 23:14:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I've got what's called a French butter bell. It's a round ceramic container that allows you to load a 1/4 # in the cover which is then placed in a 1/2 inch of water in its base. The butter stays cool, fresh and soft and unless I drop it, it should last forever (the container that is; the butter would last at least a month if we were gone).

I bought one of those things a few months ago after reading a post about them by tiki. I LOVE it. I bought mine from:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/
caver
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/06/30 17:53:29 (permalink)
I like to take bacon and wrap it around small chunks of steak and grill it. Just a sprinkling of pepper and garlic powder. You can toothpick it, or skewer several toghether. Keeps the steak more tender and moist especially if you pound it a bit first. And you can use cheaper cuts of beef.

But really, if you wrap bacon around it what won't people eat? ;-)
alb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/12 00:32:23 (permalink)
Bacon, YUM! It's good in almost anything but IMHO, you just can't beat it loaded on a BLT or a cheeseburger. And when I'm having pancakes I like to dip it into the maple syrup. Thicker is better!
CasperImproved
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/13 19:27:57 (permalink)
I save bacon grease also... I am just not as "high quality" as some... When I'm done with cooking bacon, and "if" I don't have a plan for using the grease, I let it cool enough to put it in a one lb container that used to have margarine in it :-), put it in the fridge, then use it in the future for eggs, gravy, hash browns, etc. The bacon itself I normally use for breakfast, BLTs, or the meat add-in for a pasta dish.

I don't know why it "needs" to go in the fridge, but it seems to portion out better as a solid. Plus... I don't have to worry about spoilage.

Someone else mentioned.... everything is better with bacon.. other then in a few instances, I would have to agree with that.

I primarily use Olive Oil for cooking, but some things just *need* to have bacon grease to be at their peak ;-)

Casper
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/13 19:34:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by caver

I like to take bacon and wrap it around small chunks of steak and grill it. Just a sprinkling of pepper and garlic powder. You can toothpick it, or skewer several toghether. Keeps the steak more tender and moist especially if you pound it a bit first. And you can use cheaper cuts of beef.

But really, if you wrap bacon around it what won't people eat? ;-)

I agree. Bacon is also good wrapped around chicken livers. That's the only way I will eat that otherwise nasty meat. Don't forget the ABT's, though!
sinkiller
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/19 11:42:46 (permalink)
I don't believe I've ever met anyone who doesn't LOVE Bacon.

Raths Silver Lable best commercial brand IMHO.

Penrose, darn good also.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/19 11:52:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I bought one of those things a few months ago after reading a post about them by tiki. I LOVE it. I bought mine from:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

My Mother gave me one of these. The first time I used it my butter went PLOP right into the water. I'm assuming it's because I used whipped butter. I've yet to try it again as my daughter decided to use the base for a candle holder....." />
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Bacon-a wonderful thing 2006/07/19 12:19:58 (permalink)
I'm in my 70's and during WW11 we saved bacon and other grease to turn in for the war effort.
I believe it was used to make explosives
We also saved many things such as tin foil,old tires tin cans,ect
We had a pile at our grammar school that we added scrap iron old clothing and other such things
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1