Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
  • Roadfood Insider
Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 4:06 PM (permalink)
Not sure if this is really news, but NYC bagels (unadorned, of course) now cost a buck a piece. I think they passed the $1.00 mark at H&H a few months ago, but (in my opinion, of course) the greatest bagels on earth, ESS-A-BAGEL, offically hit the one buck mark this week. The rising costs of flour and fuel is to blame, according to the posted notice.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 4:47 PM (permalink)
    That is a significant jump. On my last visit to NYC, I loaded up on 18 bagels to bring home and freeze (well....freeze the ones that MADE it home!), and I am pretty sure they were $8 or $9 per dozen at the beloved Ess-a-Bagel. I do agree - they are the best I have ever had.

I keep telling my boss that a 3% raise just doesn't cover *MY* inflation! Now I have proof.

BTW...when I saw the headline, I was thinking that they were $1.15 when I last purchased them at H&H - which was earlier than my trip to Ess-a-Bagel.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 5:02 PM (permalink)
      Well, seems everything is going up. Even my el-cheapo brew went up 10 cents since yesterday. It's been several years since I've been to NY, and I have to agree, they do have the best bagels! I was staying in Manhattan, grabbing a bagel on the way to Grand Central.. Then once I made it up to Westport Conn. where I was working, there was this pastry bagel shop there.. Would grab a blueberry muffin every morning there. These things where huge, about the size of a softball, all for a mere $1.50.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
        RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 7:24 PM (permalink)
        I would have thought in NYC a bagel would go for something like 8 bucks. A dollar is not bad!

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
          RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 10:12 PM (permalink)
          Yes, I was at H&H recently and they have been over $1.00. I wonder about the Bakers Dozen. Murrays in the Village has it. There a bagel & (plain) cream cheese is $2.95, more with "fancy" flavors.

PS: Read NY Magazine this week "Is The Boom a Bust?"
          Great stories an how NY economy excess may be peaking....(finally)

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
            RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Thu, 02/7/08 10:59 PM (permalink)
            I blame the commodities traders and the media making big news out of possibilities for the uncalled for price climb.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 2:51 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by NYNM

Yes, I was at H&H recently and they have been over $1.00. I wonder about the Bakers Dozen. Murrays in the Village has it. There a bagel & (plain) cream cheese is $2.95, more with "fancy" flavors.

At Murray's Bagels on 8th Ave at 23rd, last month a bagel with cream cheese, nova lox and raw onion plus a glass of iced tea was $12. But it was good.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6082
                RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 5:30 AM (permalink)
                What doesn't go up. We have a bunch of great bagel places here in Brick...and they're all about 80 or 85 cents, and around $8 or $8.50 a dozen now...but for the real thing ,it's worth it!

DougH Nut

• Total Posts: 15
                  RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 6:05 AM (permalink)
                  To order 2 dozen bagels from H&H from where I am on the West coast (or anywhere else in the country for that matter) it's $69.95 which works out to just about $2.95 per bagel. It's a rare luxury I've had only once in the past 10 years since times have been tough. H&H are the best I've ever tasted though, and the case could be made that they are well worth it.

So, we'll have to look into checking out ESS-A-BAGEL one of these days. Could there really be a better bagel than H&H?

The Travelin Man

RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 10:42 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by leethebard

What doesn't go up. We have a bunch of great bagel places here in Brick...and they're all about 80 or 85 cents, and around $8 or $8.50 a dozen now...but for the real thing ,it's worth it!

The issue isn't that things all go up - it is how drastically things go up over a specified period of time. It wasn't THAT long ago that I recall buying bagels on Sunday mornings at a quarter a piece. More importantly, though, is the price hike of $8/doz to $12/doz in the course of just a couple of months. I know of few items that have had a 33% bump in price in the same time period.

It is possible, though, that Ess-a-Bagel has raised their price over the last few months and I just haven't seen it because I haven't been there.

quote:
                    Originally posted by DougH Nut

To order 2 dozen bagels from H&H from where I am on the West coast (or anywhere else in the country for that matter) it's $69.95 which works out to just about $2.95 per bagel. It's a rare luxury I've had only once in the past 10 years since times have been tough. H&H are the best I've ever tasted though, and the case could be made that they are well worth it.

So, we'll have to look into checking out ESS-A-BAGEL one of these days. Could there really be a better bagel than H&H?

Two things...(1) I have yet to meet the bagel that is worth $3/ea to me. Honestly, I didn't think they were worth $1.15 the last time I went. They were good...but (2) Ess-a-Bagel are, IMVHO, far superior.

I don't know if this gives the proper perspective, but that is a standard bread knife - and it is not as tall as 6 cinnamon raisin bagels from Ess-a-Bagel.

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
                      RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 10:50 AM (permalink)
                      I get my bagels from Ray's in New York, they're the best bagels I've ever had and they're 50 cents
                      a piece. Of course, since I am in Florida I go to Publix and get them there, where Ray sends them!
                      6 minutes in the oven (425 degrees) and then wow-whatta-bagel! Nothing like them DOWN HERE, especially when loaded with 1/3 of a big bar of Philly cream cheese.
                      http://www.raysnewyorkbagels.com/

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
                        They sure look good.

leethebard

RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
                          Hey, if you're on weight watchers,a few of those are equivalent to a loaf of bread!!!!

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                            RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 8:23 PM (permalink)
                            The NYC bagel for a $1-1.25 still seems like a good deal.I blame a weak dollar for many increases in the city. All our prices literally are a half price sale, for any shoppers flooding here with Euros.I'm not sure if we are close to a peak in prices yet. These bagels are still the best in the country and can't be beat anywhere, even at this price.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
                              try lenny's on 98th & Bway great bagels .65 each and great coffe $1.60 for a large.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I don't know if this gives the proper perspective, but that is a standard bread knife - and it is not as tall as 6 cinnamon raisin bagels from Ess-a-Bagel.

In bagels, I don't consider bigger necessarily better. And I don't much like fruit of any sort in my bagels (any more than I like it on pizza). Just thought I'd say. It's kind of a sore subject because I was shopping for bagels the other day in the supermarket, the only source here in southern AZ, and had trouble finding either onion or plain (along with garlic, the only flavors I ever buy or would consider).

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                  RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Fri, 02/8/08 11:43 PM (permalink)
                                  When I went to visit friends in Germany a few months ago I stuffed a dozen Murrays bagels in my suitcase. They were still pretty fresh when we got to Heidleberg and a great addition to the late German (buffet type, meats, cheeses, breads, rolls) breakfast we had the next day!!

leethebard

RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Sat, 02/9/08 4:51 AM (permalink)
                                    What did your German friends think of bagels, or had they had them before?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                      RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Sat, 02/9/08 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                      Yeah, that's always seemed a bit pricey to me, coming from upstate NY. Especially when I travel up there to see family and I can't believe how cheap everything is. Gradually though, not thinking about the costs of living in NYC has been becoming like second nature to me.

The Travelin Man

RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Sat, 02/9/08 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by BT

In bagels, I don't consider bigger necessarily better. And I don't much like fruit of any sort in my bagels (any more than I like it on pizza). Just thought I'd say. It's kind of a sore subject because I was shopping for bagels the other day in the supermarket, the only source here in southern AZ, and had trouble finding either onion or plain (along with garlic, the only flavors I ever buy or would consider).

Bigger, by itself, isn't necessarily better. But, for these bagels, the taste is what makes them better - and they just happen to be bigger.

As for personal preferences in the great bagel debate, we all know the mantra "to each his own." I brought back 18 bagels (which barely fit into my very normal sized duffel bag) - 6 CR, 6 plain, and 6 everything. I don't know what it is about cinnamon raisin bagels - I just like them. I don't fault others for not liking them, though.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                          RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Mon, 02/11/08 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                          For those of us who cannot get a legitimate NY bagel, Jimsock9 is right on the $$. Ray's Frozen NY Bagels are a godsend. You have to follow the directions though; never defrost them. Just place them in the oven at 425 for 5 minutes...Turn off the oven and let them sit another two minutes and you have the closest thing to a real NY bagel outside of NYC.

Porcelina

• Total Posts: 96
                                            RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Wed, 03/26/08 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                            Living in a town where every decent bagel store has died due to lack of interest...I would GLADLY fork over a dollar a piece if I had the chance to buy NY bagels everyday.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                              RE: Bagels hit the $1.00 mark in NYC Wed, 03/26/08 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by divefl

I blame the commodities traders and the media making big news out of possibilities for the uncalled for price climb.

Uncalled for?? From Wall Street Journal, today, in a story about British pork. ".......A British government scientist said earler this month that global grain stores are currently at lowest levels ever, just 40 days from running out". Flour costs more because wheat costs more. It is going to be interesting.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com