The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Bagels

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 142
Author Message
Michael Hoffman

  • Total Posts: 17815
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 11:04 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

Now, Now. Some of the best New Yorker's are former New Havener's and remember the old greats like Olmer's, M&T, Zackeys and Crown(new Haven not W. Hartford). But even the loyal have to admit that a good bagel can be found in NYC.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I feel sorry for those who never had a Lender's bagel when the Lenders made their own on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut. Then, of course, there were the bagels from Olmer's Bagel Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven. New York bagels, indeed.


Then there was Tchicotsky's (although I'm sure I spelled it incorrectly), also on Legion Avenue. They made great corn rye, too.
 
#31
    i95

    • Total Posts: 2500
    • Joined: 7/14/2003
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 11:27 AM (permalink)
    BTW, what the heck happened to Bruegger's Bagels, anyway? Did they take a page out of Boston Chicken's playbook and expand too quickly?

     
    #32
      Grampy

      • Total Posts: 1559
      • Joined: 10/14/2002
      • Location: Greenfield, MA
      RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 11:47 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by i95

      BTW, what the heck happened to Bruegger's Bagels, anyway? Did they take a page out of Boston Chicken's playbook and expand too quickly?




      There is one in Northampton and another in Amherst, MA. Still, Senator, I knew New York Bagels, and they're no New York bagels.
       
      #33
        i95

        • Total Posts: 2500
        • Joined: 7/14/2003
        • Location: Sin City, VA
        RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 11:55 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Grampy

        Still, Senator, I knew New York Bagels, and they're no New York bagels.


        Alas, after waiting literally decades, someone has referenced both Lloyd Bentsen and bagels in the same sentence.

        Congratulations, Grampy, your prize is in the mail.


         
        #34
          Grampy

          • Total Posts: 1559
          • Joined: 10/14/2002
          • Location: Greenfield, MA
          RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 11:59 AM (permalink)
          Or, are they spelled bageles? Enquiring minds want to knowe....
           
          #35
            i95

            • Total Posts: 2500
            • Joined: 7/14/2003
            • Location: Sin City, VA
            RE: Bagels Thu, 03/18/04 12:45 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Grampy

            Or, are they spelled bageles? Enquiring minds want to knowe....


            All I know is that in Texas, I believe that they're called the worst, driest doughnuts they've ever had. (And THIS is the most unwelcoming board I've ever been on!)

             
            #36
              Argent

              • Total Posts: 125
              • Joined: 6/1/2003
              • Location: new market, MD
              RE: Bagels Fri, 03/19/04 9:19 AM (permalink)
              My fave is Bodos bagles in Charlottesville VA, I belive they have two locals,
              I think they are as good as any Ive had.
               
              #37
                marberthenad

                • Total Posts: 509
                • Joined: 2/19/2003
                • Location: Washington, DC
                RE: Bagels Fri, 03/19/04 9:05 PM (permalink)
                I was on Atkins, and then I visited Montreal on business and had Montreal style bagels. I then proceeded to eat seven of them. I have had trouble getting back on Atkins ever since.



                 
                #38
                  signman

                  • Total Posts: 1743
                  • Joined: 10/23/2000
                  • Location: Baltimore, MD
                  RE: Bagels Fri, 03/19/04 9:55 PM (permalink)
                  Argent, Where is Bodo's. When I went to school in C-ville in early '70's, there was no such thing as a bagel there. Once I brought back some bagels and lox, and my frat brothers took one look at it and said they weren't going to eat any fish and doughnuts.
                   
                  #39
                    Shara

                    • Total Posts: 123
                    • Joined: 8/25/2003
                    • Location: Asheville, NC
                    RE: Bagels Fri, 03/19/04 10:48 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by i95

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Grampy

                    Or, are they spelled bageles? Enquiring minds want to knowe....


                    All I know is that in Texas, I believe that they're called the worst, driest doughnuts they've ever had. (And THIS is the most unwelcoming board I've ever been on!)




                    I believe "bageles" refers to small bagels. You know--bagel-lehs.
                     
                    #40
                      Spudnut

                      • Total Posts: 655
                      • Joined: 6/30/2003
                      • Location: New York, NY
                      RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 10:58 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

                      I also live about 30 seconds from Tal (the one on 86) and I don't like them. They are way overcooked. They have the best appetizing on the east side, but their bagels don't do it for me. The Upper East side, in my opinion, has NO decent bagels. Pick-a-Bagel comes close.

                      Thankfully, I am moving downtown next month, and I will be seconds from Ess-A-Bagel, the greatest bagels on earth! Lucky me!!!



                      That's funny because, for my taste, Ess-A-Bagels are way too big and doughy. But I can't speak to the Upper East Side Tal's, because I live seconds from the one in the East 50s. I like their bagels just fine. Not the best, but more than good enough for 30 seconds away. I agree that their appetizing is really good.
                       
                      #41
                        Argent

                        • Total Posts: 125
                        • Joined: 6/1/2003
                        • Location: new market, MD
                        RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 11:24 AM (permalink)
                        Bodos has three locals in c-ville ,
                        505 preston ave
                        1609 university ave
                        1418 emmet st north
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by signman

                        Argent, Where is Bodo's. When I went to school in C-ville in early '70's, there was no such thing as a bagel there. Once I brought back some bagels and lox, and my frat brothers took one look at it and said they weren't going to eat any fish and doughnuts.
                         
                        #42
                          Grampy

                          • Total Posts: 1559
                          • Joined: 10/14/2002
                          • Location: Greenfield, MA
                          RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 1:26 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Phil J.

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

                          I also live about 30 seconds from Tal (the one on 86) and I don't like them. They are way overcooked. They have the best appetizing on the east side, but their bagels don't do it for me. The Upper East side, in my opinion, has NO decent bagels. Pick-a-Bagel comes close.

                          Thankfully, I am moving downtown next month, and I will be seconds from Ess-A-Bagel, the greatest bagels on earth! Lucky me!!!



                          That's funny because, for my taste, Ess-A-Bagels are way too big and doughy. But I can't speak to the Upper East Side Tal's, because I live seconds from the one in the East 50s. I like their bagels just fine. Not the best, but more than good enough for 30 seconds away. I agree that their appetizing is really good.


                          Oh, ye jaded New Yorkers! What I would not give for Tal, H&H, Pick-a-Bagel -- or any of the dozens of other places strewn across the tri-boro map. Fresh and warm, right out of the bag. Compared to the pathetic excuses we have for bagels we have up here, you have an embarrassment of riches. And what about a warm bialy with onions!?! Sigh. I think I shall open a vein in the bath -- if only my bath had veins.

                          Pining for the real thing in Western Mass.
                           
                          #43
                            Jellybeans

                            • Total Posts: 312
                            • Joined: 7/24/2003
                            • Location: Oxford, VA
                            RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 2:43 PM (permalink)
                            Ooooooo!!! I loved Bodo's when I went back to VA to visit old school friends! Being the non-purist that I am, I had a toasted poppyseed bagel with blueberry cream cheese.

                            My best friend was so pleased when she saw me grinning like crazy with every bite (this was my first bagel in America when I visited America for the first time in YEARS!!!!).
                             
                            #44
                              spaniel

                              • Total Posts: 99
                              • Joined: 2/7/2004
                              • Location: North Adams, MA
                              RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 2:51 PM (permalink)
                              Grampy, I feel your pain - I am in northwestern Mass. and pining for good bagels too. A local gourmet pizza place has sporadically offered its own freshly baked bagels, but now seems to have abandoned the venture.

                              Have any of you bagelphiles have tried Ray's bagels? This is a frozen product that claims to be as good as authentic NY bagels. I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if they are any good.
                               
                              #45
                                Grampy

                                • Total Posts: 1559
                                • Joined: 10/14/2002
                                • Location: Greenfield, MA
                                RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by spaniel

                                Grampy, I feel your pain - I am in northwestern Mass. and pining for good bagels too. A local gourmet pizza place has sporadically offered its own freshly baked bagels, but now seems to have abandoned the venture.

                                Have any of you bagelphiles have tried Ray's bagels? This is a frozen product that claims to be as good as authentic NY bagels. I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if they are any good.


                                Spaniel: Where is this gourmet pizza place?
                                 
                                #46
                                  spaniel

                                  • Total Posts: 99
                                  • Joined: 2/7/2004
                                  • Location: North Adams, MA
                                  RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                  Grampy- Hot Tomatoes in Williamstown, Mass. By "gourmet" I do not mean to imply snooty or swanky, just that they use high quality ingredients and offer some toppings, actually denoted on their menu as "gourmet toppings," that might be considered exotic, e.g. artichokes, chicken, breaded eggplant, caramelized onions, pesto, feta cheese. They have number of specialty pizzas on their menu but will also make just about anything you can dream up. One of my favorites is white pizza with pesto and feta. Anyway, they used to bake wonderful bagels, muffins, croissants and cookies as well as pizza, but I think now they do just pizza and some sandwiches.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Grampy

                                    • Total Posts: 1559
                                    • Joined: 10/14/2002
                                    • Location: Greenfield, MA
                                    RE: Bagels Sat, 03/20/04 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for the tip. I will try it next time I am out that way.
                                     
                                    #48
                                      emsmom

                                      • Total Posts: 955
                                      • Joined: 3/23/2004
                                      • Location: Gastonia, NC
                                      RE: Bagels Thu, 04/8/04 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                      I prefer my bagels from the bagel shop-I haven't found any at the grocery store that is up to par.

                                      My Favorites:

                                      All Toasted

                                      Poppy Seed Bagel with Garden Vegetable cream cheese
                                      Sesame seed Bagel with Sun Dried Tomato cream cheese
                                      Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with Pineapple cream Cheese
                                       
                                      #49
                                        LaurieGee52

                                        • Total Posts: 35
                                        • Joined: 7/30/2004
                                        • Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
                                        RE: Bagels Tue, 08/24/04 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                        Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

                                        By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

                                        LaurieGee52
                                         
                                        #50
                                          poundpod

                                          RE: Bagels Tue, 08/24/04 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Time for a Bagel on Speedwell Avenue in Morris Plains, New Jersey is at the top of the heap for bagels in the Metropolitan area. I don't concede an inch to H&H or Tal---Time for a Bagel is terrific.

                                          The owner, Steve B. used to be a butcher at Zayda's in South Orange, for deli experts out there---Zayda's still makes one of the leanest, largest, and most flavorful corned beef sandwiches out there.

                                           
                                          #51
                                            forurlungsonly

                                            • Total Posts: 92
                                            • Joined: 9/7/2003
                                            • Location: Albany, NY
                                            RE: Bagels Tue, 08/24/04 9:07 PM (permalink)
                                            Where is Brueggers, you ask? I guess no one's been to New York's Capital Region lately, because there's one on every corner here. I don't know how their bagels were, but now they're just average, not as good as you'd get in the city, or at a smaller, non-chain bagel shop. But they are alive and well in this area, anyway.
                                             
                                            #52
                                              danimal15

                                              • Total Posts: 1092
                                              • Joined: 8/7/2003
                                              • Location: Chicago, IL
                                              RE: Bagels Wed, 08/25/04 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                              Bagels are good in Chicago's north suburbs, especially New York Bagel and Bialy in Lincolnwood on Touhy. It's the closest to a New York bagel that I've ever found. No baking allowed - just boiling.

                                              Now a question: Why aren't there any decent bagel shops in the Loop? I imagine that NY Bagel and Bialy would make a killing if they opened one here. Even an Einstein's would be OK. There's no decent place to get a bagel near where I work on Wacker and Madison. Or is there? Let me know.

                                              Dan
                                               
                                              #53
                                                MikeS.

                                                • Total Posts: 5360
                                                • Joined: 7/1/2003
                                                • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 1:08 AM (permalink)
                                                What is Bialy???

                                                I have never heard of it.

                                                MikeS.
                                                 
                                                #54
                                                  BT

                                                  • Total Posts: 3589
                                                  • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                                  • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                  RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 2:28 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by MikeSh

                                                  What is Bialy???

                                                  I have never heard of it.

                                                  MikeS.


                                                  "Named for the Polish city of Bialystok, the 'bialy' of Jewish-Americans is descended from the ‘kuchen’ of Bialystok, Poland. A Bialy is a fairly large (about 6 inches across) chewy round yeast roll. Somewhat similar to a bagel, it has a depression rather than a hole in the center, and is sprinkled with chopped sauteed onion before baking."
                                                   
                                                  #55
                                                    BT

                                                    • Total Posts: 3589
                                                    • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                                    • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                    RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 2:53 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by LaurieGee52

                                                    Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

                                                    By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

                                                    LaurieGee52


                                                    If that is actually the case I would be very surprised. There are quite a variety of bagels available here in NoCal and, rather surprisingly, some of the best ones are available at Safeway (made by the Marin Bagel Company and sold in bulk). But every supermarket of my aquaintance has bulk bagels made by one or another local bagel bakers and all are better than the mass market/chain/packaged bagels.

                                                    Actually, one of my favorite quick lunches downtown is at Katz's Bagels (2nd and Mission) which puts out a very acceptable traditional lox/cream cheese/bermuda onion/tomato-topped bagel.

                                                    Bagels have, of course, gone cross-cultural but the best ones are still found in areas with substantial Jewish populations. San Francisco and surrounding burbs has a moderate Jewish community (e.g. both Senators Boxer and Feinstein) but LA's is (like everything in LA) much bigger and somebody there has got to be making bagels. I suspect the movie industry would have long since moved out otherwise.
                                                     
                                                    #56
                                                      Spudnut

                                                      • Total Posts: 655
                                                      • Joined: 6/30/2003
                                                      • Location: New York, NY
                                                      RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                      I don't believe this qualifies as hi-jacking the thread, but if the moderator disagrees I'll apologize in advance.

                                                      Several years ago, a friend of mine postulated the following: that your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both. His theory encompasses not only his belief that no place excels in both foods, but also extends to a somewhat philosophical contention that there's a "bagel sensibility" and "doughnut sensibility" that can be seen in the psyche of a community. My friend is a bagel guy, who admits he doesn't "get" doughnuts.

                                                      I live in New York City, which is clearly a bagel town, and a pathetic doughnut town. You can find a good doughnut here or there -- but even that wasn't truly the case until recently. More important, in my estimation, is that to lots of people here (the yuppified types, anyway) doughnuts have an element of kitsch to them; they're not taken seriously, and they're not a part of the framework of the city like bagels are. Having grown up in a doughnut town and being a "doughnut person" (who also happens to like bagels), that drives me nuts.

                                                      What do you think?
                                                       
                                                      #57
                                                        BT

                                                        • Total Posts: 3589
                                                        • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                                        • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                        RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Spudnut

                                                        your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both.
                                                        What do you think?


                                                        I'm trying to think of an exception--and can't. But it might just be that no place excels in everything and if it's really, really good at something, it kind of drives out the rest.

                                                        For example, my own town of SF has marginal doughnuts and decent but not great bagels. On the other hand, it has sourdough like no other. New Orleans, far as I know, is not known for either its bagels or doughnuts, but those beignets!
                                                         
                                                        #58
                                                          Michael Hoffman

                                                          • Total Posts: 17815
                                                          • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by BT

                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by MikeSh

                                                          What is Bialy???

                                                          I have never heard of it.

                                                          MikeS.


                                                          "Named for the Polish city of Bialystok, the 'bialy' of Jewish-Americans is descended from the ‘kuchen’ of Bialystok, Poland. A Bialy is a fairly large (about 6 inches across) chewy round yeast roll. Somewhat similar to a bagel, it has a depression rather than a hole in the center, and is sprinkled with chopped sauteed onion before baking."

                                                          And I love them. I prefer them to bagels.
                                                           
                                                          #59
                                                            Spudnut

                                                            • Total Posts: 655
                                                            • Joined: 6/30/2003
                                                            • Location: New York, NY
                                                            RE: Bagels Fri, 08/27/04 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by BT

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Spudnut

                                                            your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both.
                                                            What do you think?


                                                            I'm trying to think of an exception--and can't. But it might just be that no place excels in everything and if it's really, really good at something, it kind of drives out the rest.

                                                            For example, my own town of SF has marginal doughnuts and decent but not great bagels. On the other hand, it has sourdough like no other. New Orleans, far as I know, is not known for either its bagels or doughnuts, but those beignets!


                                                            Interesting point...perhaps I too narrowly defined the realm of "meal breads."
                                                             
                                                            #60
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 142

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com