Bagels

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18628
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 11:04:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

Now, Now. Some of the best New Yorker's are former New Havener's and remember the old greats like Olmer's, M&T, Zackeys and Crown(new Haven not W. Hartford). But even the loyal have to admit that a good bagel can be found in NYC.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I feel sorry for those who never had a Lender's bagel when the Lenders made their own on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut. Then, of course, there were the bagels from Olmer's Bagel Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven. New York bagels, indeed.

Then there was Tchicotsky's (although I'm sure I spelled it incorrectly), also on Legion Avenue. They made great corn rye, too.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 11:27:28 (permalink)
BTW, what the heck happened to Bruegger's Bagels, anyway? Did they take a page out of Boston Chicken's playbook and expand too quickly?

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 11:47:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

BTW, what the heck happened to Bruegger's Bagels, anyway? Did they take a page out of Boston Chicken's playbook and expand too quickly?

There is one in Northampton and another in Amherst, MA. Still, Senator, I knew New York Bagels, and they're no New York bagels.
i95
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 11:55:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Still, Senator, I knew New York Bagels, and they're no New York bagels.

Alas, after waiting literally decades, someone has referenced both Lloyd Bentsen and bagels in the same sentence.

Congratulations, Grampy, your prize is in the mail.

Grampy
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 11:59:48 (permalink)
Or, are they spelled bageles? Enquiring minds want to knowe....
i95
RE: Bagels 2004/03/18 12:45:07 (permalink)
quote:

All I know is that in Texas, I believe that they're called the worst, driest doughnuts they've ever had. (And THIS is the most unwelcoming board I've ever been on!)

Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Bagels 2004/03/19 09:19:44 (permalink)
My fave is Bodos bagles in Charlottesville VA, I belive they have two locals,
I think they are as good as any Ive had.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Bagels 2004/03/19 21:05:47 (permalink)
I was on Atkins, and then I visited Montreal on business and had Montreal style bagels. I then proceeded to eat seven of them. I have had trouble getting back on Atkins ever since.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Bagels 2004/03/19 21:55:19 (permalink)
Argent, Where is Bodo's. When I went to school in C-ville in early '70's, there was no such thing as a bagel there. Once I brought back some bagels and lox, and my frat brothers took one look at it and said they weren't going to eat any fish and doughnuts.
Shara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Bagels 2004/03/19 22:48:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

All I know is that in Texas, I believe that they're called the worst, driest doughnuts they've ever had. (And THIS is the most unwelcoming board I've ever been on!)

I believe "bageles" refers to small bagels. You know--bagel-lehs.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 10:58:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

I also live about 30 seconds from Tal (the one on 86) and I don't like them. They are way overcooked. They have the best appetizing on the east side, but their bagels don't do it for me. The Upper East side, in my opinion, has NO decent bagels. Pick-a-Bagel comes close.

Thankfully, I am moving downtown next month, and I will be seconds from Ess-A-Bagel, the greatest bagels on earth! Lucky me!!!

That's funny because, for my taste, Ess-A-Bagels are way too big and doughy. But I can't speak to the Upper East Side Tal's, because I live seconds from the one in the East 50s. I like their bagels just fine. Not the best, but more than good enough for 30 seconds away. I agree that their appetizing is really good.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 11:24:56 (permalink)
Bodos has three locals in c-ville ,
505 preston ave
1609 university ave
1418 emmet st north
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Argent, Where is Bodo's. When I went to school in C-ville in early '70's, there was no such thing as a bagel there. Once I brought back some bagels and lox, and my frat brothers took one look at it and said they weren't going to eat any fish and doughnuts.
Grampy
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 13:26:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

quote:
Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

I also live about 30 seconds from Tal (the one on 86) and I don't like them. They are way overcooked. They have the best appetizing on the east side, but their bagels don't do it for me. The Upper East side, in my opinion, has NO decent bagels. Pick-a-Bagel comes close.

Thankfully, I am moving downtown next month, and I will be seconds from Ess-A-Bagel, the greatest bagels on earth! Lucky me!!!

That's funny because, for my taste, Ess-A-Bagels are way too big and doughy. But I can't speak to the Upper East Side Tal's, because I live seconds from the one in the East 50s. I like their bagels just fine. Not the best, but more than good enough for 30 seconds away. I agree that their appetizing is really good.

Oh, ye jaded New Yorkers! What I would not give for Tal, H&H, Pick-a-Bagel -- or any of the dozens of other places strewn across the tri-boro map. Fresh and warm, right out of the bag. Compared to the pathetic excuses we have for bagels we have up here, you have an embarrassment of riches. And what about a warm bialy with onions!?! Sigh. I think I shall open a vein in the bath -- if only my bath had veins.

Pining for the real thing in Western Mass.
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 14:43:23 (permalink)
Ooooooo!!! I loved Bodo's when I went back to VA to visit old school friends! Being the non-purist that I am, I had a toasted poppyseed bagel with blueberry cream cheese.

My best friend was so pleased when she saw me grinning like crazy with every bite (this was my first bagel in America when I visited America for the first time in YEARS!!!!).
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 14:51:40 (permalink)
Grampy, I feel your pain - I am in northwestern Mass. and pining for good bagels too. A local gourmet pizza place has sporadically offered its own freshly baked bagels, but now seems to have abandoned the venture.

Have any of you bagelphiles have tried Ray's bagels? This is a frozen product that claims to be as good as authentic NY bagels. I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if they are any good.
Grampy
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 15:29:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spaniel

Grampy, I feel your pain - I am in northwestern Mass. and pining for good bagels too. A local gourmet pizza place has sporadically offered its own freshly baked bagels, but now seems to have abandoned the venture.

Have any of you bagelphiles have tried Ray's bagels? This is a frozen product that claims to be as good as authentic NY bagels. I haven't tried them yet and was wondering if they are any good.

Spaniel: Where is this gourmet pizza place?
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 15:52:43 (permalink)
Grampy- Hot Tomatoes in Williamstown, Mass. By "gourmet" I do not mean to imply snooty or swanky, just that they use high quality ingredients and offer some toppings, actually denoted on their menu as "gourmet toppings," that might be considered exotic, e.g. artichokes, chicken, breaded eggplant, caramelized onions, pesto, feta cheese. They have number of specialty pizzas on their menu but will also make just about anything you can dream up. One of my favorites is white pizza with pesto and feta. Anyway, they used to bake wonderful bagels, muffins, croissants and cookies as well as pizza, but I think now they do just pizza and some sandwiches.
Grampy
RE: Bagels 2004/03/20 16:20:23 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip. I will try it next time I am out that way.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Bagels 2004/04/08 12:19:45 (permalink)
I prefer my bagels from the bagel shop-I haven't found any at the grocery store that is up to par.

My Favorites:

All Toasted

Poppy Seed Bagel with Garden Vegetable cream cheese
Sesame seed Bagel with Sun Dried Tomato cream cheese
Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with Pineapple cream Cheese
LaurieGee52
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Bagels 2004/08/24 14:42:11 (permalink)
Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

LaurieGee52
poundpod
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Bagels 2004/08/24 15:09:07 (permalink)
Time for a Bagel on Speedwell Avenue in Morris Plains, New Jersey is at the top of the heap for bagels in the Metropolitan area. I don't concede an inch to H&H or Tal---Time for a Bagel is terrific.

The owner, Steve B. used to be a butcher at Zayda's in South Orange, for deli experts out there---Zayda's still makes one of the leanest, largest, and most flavorful corned beef sandwiches out there.

forurlungsonly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Bagels 2004/08/24 21:07:55 (permalink)
Where is Brueggers, you ask? I guess no one's been to New York's Capital Region lately, because there's one on every corner here. I don't know how their bagels were, but now they're just average, not as good as you'd get in the city, or at a smaller, non-chain bagel shop. But they are alive and well in this area, anyway.
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Bagels 2004/08/25 12:12:51 (permalink)
Bagels are good in Chicago's north suburbs, especially New York Bagel and Bialy in Lincolnwood on Touhy. It's the closest to a New York bagel that I've ever found. No baking allowed - just boiling.

Now a question: Why aren't there any decent bagel shops in the Loop? I imagine that NY Bagel and Bialy would make a killing if they opened one here. Even an Einstein's would be OK. There's no decent place to get a bagel near where I work on Wacker and Madison. Or is there? Let me know.

Dan
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5463
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 01:08:38 (permalink)
What is Bialy???

I have never heard of it.

MikeS.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 02:28:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

What is Bialy???

MikeS.

"Named for the Polish city of Bialystok, the 'bialy' of Jewish-Americans is descended from the ‘kuchen’ of Bialystok, Poland. A Bialy is a fairly large (about 6 inches across) chewy round yeast roll. Somewhat similar to a bagel, it has a depression rather than a hole in the center, and is sprinkled with chopped sauteed onion before baking."
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 02:53:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieGee52

Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

LaurieGee52

If that is actually the case I would be very surprised. There are quite a variety of bagels available here in NoCal and, rather surprisingly, some of the best ones are available at Safeway (made by the Marin Bagel Company and sold in bulk). But every supermarket of my aquaintance has bulk bagels made by one or another local bagel bakers and all are better than the mass market/chain/packaged bagels.

Actually, one of my favorite quick lunches downtown is at Katz's Bagels (2nd and Mission) which puts out a very acceptable traditional lox/cream cheese/bermuda onion/tomato-topped bagel.

Bagels have, of course, gone cross-cultural but the best ones are still found in areas with substantial Jewish populations. San Francisco and surrounding burbs has a moderate Jewish community (e.g. both Senators Boxer and Feinstein) but LA's is (like everything in LA) much bigger and somebody there has got to be making bagels. I suspect the movie industry would have long since moved out otherwise.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 10:31:30 (permalink)
I don't believe this qualifies as hi-jacking the thread, but if the moderator disagrees I'll apologize in advance.

Several years ago, a friend of mine postulated the following: that your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both. His theory encompasses not only his belief that no place excels in both foods, but also extends to a somewhat philosophical contention that there's a "bagel sensibility" and "doughnut sensibility" that can be seen in the psyche of a community. My friend is a bagel guy, who admits he doesn't "get" doughnuts.

I live in New York City, which is clearly a bagel town, and a pathetic doughnut town. You can find a good doughnut here or there -- but even that wasn't truly the case until recently. More important, in my estimation, is that to lots of people here (the yuppified types, anyway) doughnuts have an element of kitsch to them; they're not taken seriously, and they're not a part of the framework of the city like bagels are. Having grown up in a doughnut town and being a "doughnut person" (who also happens to like bagels), that drives me nuts.

What do you think?
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 11:08:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both.
What do you think?

I'm trying to think of an exception--and can't. But it might just be that no place excels in everything and if it's really, really good at something, it kind of drives out the rest.

For example, my own town of SF has marginal doughnuts and decent but not great bagels. On the other hand, it has sourdough like no other. New Orleans, far as I know, is not known for either its bagels or doughnuts, but those beignets!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18628
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 11:28:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

What is Bialy???

MikeS.

"Named for the Polish city of Bialystok, the 'bialy' of Jewish-Americans is descended from the ‘kuchen’ of Bialystok, Poland. A Bialy is a fairly large (about 6 inches across) chewy round yeast roll. Somewhat similar to a bagel, it has a depression rather than a hole in the center, and is sprinkled with chopped sauteed onion before baking."

And I love them. I prefer them to bagels.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 11:29:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

your city or town can either be a "bagel" town or "doughnut" town, but not both.
What do you think?

I'm trying to think of an exception--and can't. But it might just be that no place excels in everything and if it's really, really good at something, it kind of drives out the rest.

For example, my own town of SF has marginal doughnuts and decent but not great bagels. On the other hand, it has sourdough like no other. New Orleans, far as I know, is not known for either its bagels or doughnuts, but those beignets!

Interesting point...perhaps I too narrowly defined the realm of "meal breads."
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1