Bagels

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 11:35:38 (permalink)
I don't know if my area excels in ANY round shaped bready products with holes in them!

Around here, we have a couple of bagel chains that are really mediocre, and we have donut chains that are OK, but predictable. Don't get me wrong, I love Krisy Kremes, but they are predictable. I would love to see an outstanding bagelry or donut shop open up; I think they'd do a great business. I, for one, am getting tired of all the chains here in Columbia!
Sasaku
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 16:13:40 (permalink)
Brugger's bagels claims to have authentic NY style waterbagels. My favorite breakfast bagel is a cinnamon raisen bagel toasted off course with a garden veggie cream cheese bread on then sandwiched together. Good egg/lunch bagel sandwiches too.
Wingster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 17:43:02 (permalink)
I myself love an herb cheese bagel with chive cream cheese, onions, tomato, and some lemon pepper on top. Scrumptious!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 18:10:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sasaku

Brugger's bagels claims to have authentic NY style waterbagels. My favorite breakfast bagel is a cinnamon raisen bagel toasted off course with a garden veggie cream cheese bread on then sandwiched together. Good egg/lunch bagel sandwiches too.

"Waterbagel" is a controversial term, you know. By definition, any bagel should be boiled before being baked and the term "waterbagel" apparently just implied that it contained little more than water, flour and yeast--no egg, in other words, which should also be true of any bagel not labeled an "egg bagel". So what really does "waterbagel" mean? The problem is complicated by the fact that I think I've read some of the bigger makers don't, in fact, boil their bagels. IMHO, this means what they are turning out aren't real bagels and may explain why they aren't very good. Bruggers may simply mean to imply that they do make theirs the traditional way. Or they may be trying to imply something special with a pretty meaningless term.
Sasaku
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 19:17:28 (permalink)
I enjoy their bagels even if they may not be athentic, best place to get them in minnesota.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Bagels 2004/09/03 21:50:39 (permalink)
We just got back fro Seattle and Vancouver, both home to some genuinely atrocius "bagels". In Seattle, we actually saw pepperoni and Asiago cheese bagels, which are simply an abomination.

Here on LI, the best local bagel place is House of Bagels, but their salads aren't great- it isn't a Jewish bagel shop so their appetizing leaves something to be desired. Bagel Boss has great appetizing, but their bagels are hard and overcooked- they need to be toasted, something that should not be necessary with a fresh bagel.

Of course, nothing is like the old days in Brooklyn, when Mr. Malinowski would come every Sunday morning, fresh from the bagel shop, with a big bag of hot bagels and bialys. He was a dear man, a family friend with a profoundly retarded son, who worked so incredibly hard to take care of his family. He baked a great bagel too.
flattop5
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 08:19:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

Now, Now. Some of the best New Yorker's are former New Havener's and remember the old greats like Olmer's, M&T, Zackeys and Crown(new Haven not W. Hartford). But even the loyal have to admit that a good bagel can be found in NYC.

I feel sorry for those who never had a Lender's bagel when the Lenders made their own on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut. Then, of course, there were the bagels from Olmer's Bagel Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven. New York bagels, indeed.

[url='http://wcbs880.com/connnews/CT--Obit-Lender-mn/resources_news_html']Sam Lender, R.I.P.[/url]
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 08:24:24 (permalink)
I prefer bagels from a bagel shop, someone experienced in making real bagels, not something that just looks like a bagel.

carl reitz
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 16:37:27 (permalink)
In Manhattan, fortunately, we can always get good bagels. There is a small local place here called the Bagelry at 30th Street and 3rd Avenue that now produces probably the best bagel in NY. Esse- bagel is also great, but Bagelry is now the new champ- as far as I am concerned.

Now.. if there were more good Bialy's in the city, I would love it. Kossar's on Grand Street here in NY still makes a mean hot Bialy.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7897
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 17:24:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Danmel

We just got back fro Seattle and Vancouver, both home to some genuinely atrocius "bagels". In Seattle, we actually saw pepperoni and Asiago cheese bagels, which are simply an abomination.

True, but try to find Outstanding Coffee, (and I don't mean Starbucks),refreshing craft microbrews, amazing alder smoked salmon, and Tantalizing Scones in Long Island...come on!!! I Dare Ya'!!
BaconBits
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 17:53:26 (permalink)
What makes a NY Bagel/Bialy so awesome is the flouride in the water, no? That's what I've always heard.

I agree with Verysleepy - there is no better bialy than a Kossar Bialy. I go down to Russ & Daughters about one Sunday a month and buy a whole bunch of fishes to take to Jersey for my family - they also carry Kossar bialys there - a perfect Sunday brunch one-stop shop.

I guess a conversation for the another thread would be best smoked fishes (by the way - I do realize that the word 'fishes' is not grammatically correct - i use it colloquially - as does the rest of the NYC Jewish population). Hands down - Russ & Daughters on Houston.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 18:16:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ejh1110

I guess a conversation for the another thread would be best smoked fishes (by the way - I do realize that the word 'fishes' is not grammatically correct - i use it colloquially - as does the rest of the NYC Jewish population). Hands down - Russ & Daughters on Houston.

Although smoked fish is fine and I definetely appreciate lox, novi and smoked sturgeon, as I indicated in my previous response, nothing, nothing, nothing compares to Seattle Style Alder Smoked White King Salmon.

11 years ago while living in Seattle, I returned to NY to attend my friend's wedding. I was staying with another friend's parents and as a token of thanks I brought back a pound of Smoked White King Salmon packed in ice. My friend's father, a typical NY Jewish Kvetcher not only ate up the whole thing (it was supposed to be for the entire family) but exclaimed that he never had smoked fish that tasted so good.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Bagels 2004/10/20 10:13:32 (permalink)
its not just the water, but also the malt added to the water. Really two levels then of inspection. Do they boil the bagels? And if so do the add malt to the water?

Also malt syrup should be used instead of sugar in the dough.
Bender
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Bagels 2004/10/23 18:01:54 (permalink)
I love my bagels with lots of cream cheese and freshly made bacon crumbled on top.
Jen_USMC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Bagels 2005/10/08 19:38:44 (permalink)

My all time favorite bagel is a Lender's onion w/ butter. Sometimes I like to switch it up & eat it with cream cheese. However I'm having a hard time finding them here in PA. And let me just say that the Thomas New York Style Onion Bagels don't do justice to the taste of a Lender's Onion Bagel. Does anyone know of a place in PA where I can get my Lender's Onion fix? Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have them. Thanks!

~* Jen *~
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Bagels 2005/10/17 20:25:59 (permalink)
Generally, I don't eat bagels. However, back in elementary school, I did enjoy stopping by The Great Canadian Bagel for a plain, toasted bagel with butter. They're delicious. They also have great chocolate chip bagels.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 16:19:43 (permalink)
[quote
'Waterbagel' is a controversial term,

I hear a war in Hell's Kitchen is brewing over the Waterbagel.

I guess it's big. The Long Islanders have said they have the best waterbagel,

But the Manhanttan islanders say they have the best waterbagel " 'cuz long island sucks!"

And the New Joisey people are saying..."hey...wears the fight?...'cuz if they'res a fight, I'm their!........and what the fuggetaboutit is a wata' bagel?"

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18642
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 16:45:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

"Waterbagel" is a controversial term, you know. By definition, any bagel should be boiled before being baked and the term "waterbagel" apparently just implied that it contained little more than water, flour and yeast--no egg, in other words, which should also be true of any bagel not labeled an "egg bagel". So what really does "waterbagel" mean? The problem is complicated by the fact that I think I've read some of the bigger makers don't, in fact, boil their bagels. IMHO, this means what they are turning out aren't real bagels and may explain why they aren't very good. Bruggers may simply mean to imply that they do make theirs the traditional way. Or they may be trying to imply something special with a pretty meaningless term.

Many of the bagel chains do not boil their product before baking.Prior to the advenbt of the popularity of bagels, all bagels were boiled firts, and they were never called waterbagels. The term came into use to differentiate real bagels from the imitations. It had, and has, nothing to do with water content.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 21:46:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BT

Prior to the advenbt of the popularity of bagels, all bagels were boiled firts,

What's a "boiled firts" are you insulting poor innocent defenseless little bagels, Mr Hoffman???" />
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18642
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 23:09:39 (permalink)
Sorry. Boiled first. I would never insult a bagel. I might insult a bialy, but never a bagel.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Bagels 2005/10/19 09:41:12 (permalink)
"Hey bagel!...your mother was a pretzel!"

Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 11:09:43 (permalink)
I think the best bagels I have ever had came from the Bagel Bar in North Miami Beach. It has to be toasted with a slice of onion and lox.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 11:37:53 (permalink)
Bagels should be savory, not sweet. No cinnamon apple raisin, blueberry, apple nut crunch, etc. Chocolate chip? Gag. All these other flavors have their place, but as coffee cakes, not bagels.

plain, egg, poppy seed, onion, sesame, garlic. Easy on the cutesy cream cheeses, too.

I guess you could say I'm a boring purist. So be it.

tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2011
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 13:52:24 (permalink)
So many bagel shops have closed around here, and many remaining stores get them shipped in stale. Dunkin Donuts makes a "bagel" from frozen that is actually better than a lot of places. My favorite local place is "Bagel Inn" in Holden Mass. They cook them right there behind a window "the same way it is done in New York". They have several branch locations, but so far as I know, the boiling/baking is all done in Holden. It is a sad state of affairs when frozen grocery store bagels are better than what is often found "fresh" at a store. Bagel Inn bucks that trend.
grampsof2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Bagels 2007/05/27 18:48:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Smith

Greetings to all!!
I've been lurking for a while and feel that it is time to jump in.
Isn't a toasted bagel the BEST!!!
Buttered or better yet my own homemade garlic cream cheese spread.(YUM!!)
Where do you find your favorites?
I know i'll be told that there are no bagels of worth outside of NYC but please humor me. (LOL)
The best I ever had were over 20 years ago when I worked near the U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor. There was a place just off campus. You could walk in and get the warmest, freshest, chewiest bagels. The garlic was great but the everything (all the seeds) was heaven!!! Now heres the problem....Does anyone know the name of the place?
The bagels around NE Indiana are ok. Not terrible but just ok.
Excuse me... I must leave now and find a toaster. I need a fix!!!!

grampsof2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Bagels 2007/05/27 19:19:09 (permalink)
Good evening to y'all on this Memorial Day weekend and MY birthday weekend. Sorry to disappoint everyone, however the best bagel is done the following way:
-everything bagel (if you need to ask what an everything bagel is, go to the next topic, (LOL)
-regular Phil cream cheese
-nova lox, the one without the salt
-slice of swiss cheese on each half
-oh, did I say a slice of vadalia onion
-slice of tomato
-put in microwave for 45-50 seconds
-enjoy with a great cup of Dunkin Donut coffee

phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Bagels 2007/05/28 18:53:03 (permalink)
i dont know about having to be in new york for a great bagel, i grew up in skokie illinois and could pretty much walk to a great bagel anywhere like kaufmans or buddys, the north side of chicago is loaded with authentic bagel places
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Bagels 2007/05/28 19:34:00 (permalink)
Although I haven't checked the last three pages, I'm sure I must have posted my 2 cents worth sometime ago regarding this topic.
However, to be current, I will offer my 2 cents worth-again. I was born and raised in the NYC area. Although I live in Dallas now, that doesn't mean I can't still have a decent bagel.
"Deli-News", where I brunch every Sunday for my Nova and smoked Sturgeon fix serves very good bagels. Not as good as NYC-but very good none the less.
I like whole wheat bagels "scooped" out and lightly toasted served with lite chive cream cheese.
That said, I think the very best NYC style bagels in Dallas are at, "Einsteins Bagels".
But, their Nova is probably canned or pre-frozen and Sturgeon, of course is non-existant.
Any bagel opinions from my fellow Dallasites?
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Bagels 2007/05/29 11:23:33 (permalink)
Einstein's Bros Bagels have (IMHO) the best sesame seed bagel I've tried. I eat mine toasted with a "schmear" of low-fat plain cream cheese, nothing else.

Where I live now, though, there aren't any authentic bagel shops, so Atlanta Bread Co's wheat bagel - more of a honey wheat than a whole wheat - is the best I've found. Again - toasted with lite cream cheese. Yum!
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 582
RE: Bagels 2007/06/03 05:40:49 (permalink)
Warm Bagels with Cream Cheese!!!!

Ah...........................
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1