Bagels

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Fajuea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Bagels 2007/06/03 17:57:39 (permalink)
I'd go for a toasted bagel with cream cheese any day.
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 582
RE: Bagels 2007/07/08 10:32:46 (permalink)
I love Breuggers Bagels!!!!! (Plain)

LOADED WITH CREAM CHEESE (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Bagels 2007/07/16 10:15:47 (permalink)
Here in CT the best bagels can be found at Patty Cakes in Rocky Hill! My favorite is the pumpernickel variety with veggie cream cheese!
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Bagels 2007/07/16 10:31:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15 Bagels are good in Chicago's north suburbs, especially New York Bagel and Bialy in Lincolnwood on Touhy. It's the closest to a New York bagel that I've ever found. No baking allowed - just boiling.

Now a question: Why aren't there any decent bagel shops in the Loop? I imagine that NY Bagel and Bialy would make a killing if they opened one here. Even an Einstein's would be OK. There's no decent place to get a bagel near where I work on Wacker and Madison. Or is there? Let me know.
I'm guessing it's because the Jews, who are the bagel addicts, live in Lake County, or at least northern Cook County, so that's where the bagel shops are. I'd suggest going to your favorite place and telling them what you told us, armed with a petition.

Here in Wisconsin, I'm stuck with Bruegger's. At least they know what lox and capers are. Whole grain with lox and capers and tomato and onion and lettuce and the whole salad bar for me! No cream cheese (say "C C, please"), but a slice of swiss or cheddar would be awesome.
Msradell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Bagels 2007/07/20 21:22:39 (permalink)
I'm new to this forum and just thought I'd write a quick comment on bagels. I grew up in Rochester New York (large Jewish population) and was spoiled by several local bagel shops. I've since lived in South Carolina, France and now Kentucky and I have visited all over the United States. I have found no place with a good bagel outside of New York.

A couple of a national chains have an OK bagel, a few small local bakeries have an idea what to make but their execution always falls short and non of the frozen bagels are even worth talking about.

Here in Louisville Kentucky it's impossible to get a good bagel. We have two chains that sell them (Dooley's and Panera Bread) neither of which make a bagel that's worth much.

As far as toppings nothing beats cream cheese and lox, although butter on a salt bagel comes close.
Luvstoeat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Bagels 2007/07/22 00:05:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Msradell

I have found no place with a good bagel outside of New York.

Spoken like a true New Yorker........
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 02:24:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat Spoken like a true New Yorker........
You mean like people who think that Chicago Style Pizza is deep dish?

Thanks for Lou "THROW THE (**&% BALL OVER THE )(*&(*&^ PLATE! Pinella. FINALLY I don't miss Don Baylor so much.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 07:34:19 (permalink)
The first time he had a bagel Bill Monroe said it was the toughest doughnut he ever ate, and it didn't have much sweet to it either.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7920
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 08:12:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat

quote:

He's not a true New Yorker, he's from Rochester, that's like saying someone from effingham Illinois is a true Chicogoan.

Oh, and and there are no Jewish people in Rochester, trust me on that one!
Luvstoeat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 08:39:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

He's not a true New Yorker, he's from Rochester, that's like saying someone from effingham Illinois is a true Chicogoan.

I stand corrected. My humble apologies!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 09:11:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat

quote:

In any case, GEORGETOWN BAGELS in DC are as goos as most NYC bagels.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 09:30:55 (permalink)
I'm originally from NYC and, except for 8 years in NJ, have lived in CT all my life. Bagels? When they're done right (boiled then baked) are wonderful...but then, I'm preaching to the choir on this thread.

Mr. Hoffman: I do remember eating bagels at Lenders on Rt. 1 (West Haven, right?) and they were terrific. The place was called "The Bagel Board" I think.

A warm, freshly-baked bagel needs no toasting. It's crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside and altogether fantastic with a schmear. Not all that long ago, I feasted on H & H bagels with nova from Zabars (cut from the fish as I watched). That and a good cup of coffee...wow!
Charles Cramer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 10:28:06 (permalink)
Although I live in New England and have also traveled far and wide, I'd essentially have to agree with Msradell. It's difficult at BEST to find a decent bagel outside of NY. A few exceptions and notes however are in order.

First off, wanderingjew, I went to college in Rochester in the late 80's and I can tell you decisively that there is, indeed, a LARGE (and active) Jewish population there, So I'm puzzled as the where your remark came from.

As somewhat of a bagel purist, I have fond memories of my grandmother arriving by train in northwest CT from NYC, with a dozen NY bagel in her suitcase. YUMMMM!! There simply is NOTHING - ANYWHERE - like a NYC water bagel. PERIOD! Some reasonable facsimiles are (as likely have been mentioned before...) Bloch's Bagel in Columbus OH, for a local store/chain (EXCELLENT bakery as well and superb sandwich/bagel bar - my vote for best bagel outside of NYC) and the Einstein's chain, which more or less gets it right.

For those who have become accustomed to some of the other chains, please know that bagel weren't always (and shouldn't be) the size of a space-saver spare tire. And as far as I'm personally concerned, strawberry and maple walnut cream cheese et-al should be permanently exiled, along with the some of the more bizarre bagel offerings (blueberry, green bagel, jalapeno, ). Yes, I'm even a cinnamon-raisin frowner. ;)

Michael Stern had made a comment at one point about the old Lender's bagel factory in New Haven, CT. I, too, can vouch for the (then...) exceptionally good bagel offered there. I went on a personal guided tour (as a kid) with my aunt and cousin, and was taken around by one of the Lender brothers. What they've degenerated into to now bears little resemblance to that once noble example.

Boston offers a good bagel bakery, located in Brookline - Kupel's (Harvard St). It's a righteous bagel, perhaps slightly larger than they should be (but 'tis the trend nationally), but with the right taste, texture and "chew". Bruegger's and the rest of the chain's don't merit a serious look (or for that matter a visit, even if you were right outside their door). Their "bagel" are hideous (and I think I'm actually being nice ;) ).

We do have a couple decent bagel places here in southern New Hampshire - Hot Rise in Merrimack (exit 12 off the Everett Tpke, on the DW Highway), which although they stray from the more traditional toppings, have a good bagel. the secret? It's and H&H bagel from NYC shipped in parboiled and frozen and finished/baked on premises.

- Bagel Alley, 1 Eldridge St., Nashua. Made from scratch, they even have a steam injection oven, which yields a really nice outer crust.

That being said... now it's time for bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers and onions ;) oh.. and for EXCELLENT lox, the Kirkland signature at Costco is a great deal (around $11/lb at my local warehouse).
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7920
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 10:56:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Cramer

First off, wanderingjew, I went to college in Rochester in the late 80's and I can tell you decisively that there is, indeed, a LARGE (and active) Jewish population there, So I'm puzzled as the where your remark came from.

My remarks came from facts
[url]www.fmams.org.il/9e_communityspotlights/rochesterny.htm[/url]
22,000 jews out of a metro population of just over one million is nominal. This is actually and average representation for most medium- large sized US cities.
As you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Jews
Monroe County is ranked 69 out of 100 as far as the distribution of the Jewish Population in American Cities and Counties
Charles Cramer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 11:23:51 (permalink)
I'll keep this brief as I replied off list but... the fact that they made it on to the list of 100 AT ALL says a LOT! Considering the size of Jewish populations in towns and cities across the USA, Rochester HARDLY would be categorized as being insignificant.

And I hope that this puts an end to this tangential discussion...

Let's get back to BAGEL (and perhaps Bialy's too..?) .

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Bagels 2007/07/24 08:02:31 (permalink)
Originally posted by Charles Cramer

and the Einstein's chain, which more or less gets it right.

Thanks for the post..it reminded me that the last decent bagel I had was at an Einsteins.

So, yesterday I went to their website to see where the nearest location was to be found...lo and behold there was one right here in my city! I've been here 2 years and thought it odd that I've never seen the place or viewed any advertising for them.

The website said the location was inside a local hospital so I drove around the hospital yesterday looking for any signs and found none.

Called their phone number and was sent straight to an individuals voicemail.

This morning I did a search on the einstein name and the hospital name ...found a press release saying they put an einstein in the new wing of the hospital. Drove over, walked in...tada! Signs pointing to Einsteins! (they have been open 3 months and since they don't have their own parking have been limited on their advertising to date).

They do not have bagel dogs (yet) but I'm sitting here enjoying an everything with a chive and onion shmear. It may fall short of a NY bagel but it's a lot closer then the panera/atlanta bread we have been relegated to in this town.

Thanks for the memory-jogger Charles!

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Bagels 2007/07/24 09:14:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

My remarks came from facts
22,000 jews out of a metro population of just over one million is nominal. This is actually and average representation for most medium- large sized US cities.
As you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Jews
Monroe County is ranked 69 out of 100 as far as the distribution of the Jewish Population in American Cities and Counties

Rochester has like 4 or 5 synnagogues, indicating a very strong population. Even with "only" 22,000 jews you can support a good jewish bakery with bagels, a deli, a judaica shop...etc.

I am spoiled by bagels, having grown up in the NJ/NYC region. And most people will tell you: the bagels in NYC, with the exception of one or two joints, are overrated. NJ bagels are oftentimes much better!
Beach Kim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Bagels 2007/07/25 13:05:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieGee52

Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

LaurieGee52

Noah's don't do it for me. In LA area I like the bagels at Manhattan Beach Bread and Bagel Company. I usually get the jalapeno (sorry--it is California) with plain cream cheese. My daughter (8 yrs) goes for the cinnamon sugar with cream cheese, son (6 yrs) like blue berry and son (3 yrs) is a purist-plain with cream cheese.
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2007/07/26 13:34:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew My remarks came from facts
Is it nominal or is it average? I'm confused.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3309
RE: Bagels 2007/07/27 00:43:23 (permalink)
I've been searching for the perfect bagel(one that's boiled) since moving to Wisconsin in 1990. I still haven't found it, so I return to my roots in Lincolnwood-NY Bagel & Bialy. However, I've discovered the best rye for a corned beef sandwich from Miller's Bakery in Milwaukee(a much better rye than anything Chicago has to offer, with the exception of the Baltic Bakery).

CSD
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
RE: Bagels 2007/07/27 12:06:38 (permalink)
In the Phoenix AZ area we have Chompies. It was started by the Borensteins - Lou, Lovey, Mark, Neal & Wendy who came to the Valley from Queens, NYC in 1979. Their Bagels & Bialy's are about as close to real NYC Bagels that we can get out here.
ticohoops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Bagels 2008/01/16 00:44:11 (permalink)
My grandparents owned Ticotsky's Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven, CT. The bakery opened in 1907 and was sold in 1945; it operated under the Ticotsky name until the early 1970's.

According to my father (who is now 89 and in a nursing home), Lender's originally started selling bagels from a push cart in New Haven. They operated restaurants in Orange and Hamden.

Other thoughts from my father:

*** Today's bagels aren't as good due to mass production; in "the old days", they were all made by hand.

*** Today's bagels are too sweet. The best kind are plain with butter or cream cheese. His parents would turn over in their graves if they heard people ate blueberry bagels with sun dried tomato cream cheese!

*** Steam was the prime requisite for baking crusty bread; the quality was high due to no production goals needing to be met.

BTW, I just found this forum while doing a Google search. Great stuff!
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Bagels 2008/01/16 19:29:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

If you can't do the H&H Bagel thing 'cause you're trapped in the mid-Atlantic area (although NYC's H&H does ship frozen bagels to places like Richmond, Virginia's Padow's Deli [http://www.padows.com/index.cfm?redirect=true] and commercial bagel dough to places like Leesburg, Virginia's Deli South), I've found that the best bagels available can be found at both the:

Georgetown Bagelry
(
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1026132&typeId=2) -- both the Georgetown and Bethesda [River Road] locations produce good size, chewy bagels and an even better bialy.

Bagels And...
Just before Annapolis' historic district off of Rowe Boulevard (2019 West Street -- across from the State Police barracks) where my favorite product is their limited production of what they call their Super Egg Bagel -- an egg bagel with both onions and poppy seeds.

FYI, mid-Atlantic RoadFooders.

Since this thread was resurrected by the above 2008 post, allow me to also update the new name of the above Annapolis, Maryland bagel shop as[url='http://www.whatsupmag.com/june07/boa.shtml']Naval Bagels[/url] AND correct address as 609 Taylor Avenue in Annapolis (although still across from the state police barracks and next to the equally great Graul's grocery store (think Otterbein's and Berger cookies ).

I was just there today and they're still cranking out some of the best bagels around.

I'd (still) highly recommend.

angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:38:27 (permalink)
I've not had the honor of traveling and sampling local bagels... so from my experience, Einstein Bros. is probably the best bagel place I've been to. Atlanta Bread and Panera have pretty decent ones as well... but of course, they are chains and thus don't have that "hand made" touch. As far as flavor... I LOVE a toasted sesame-seed or honey wheat bagel with low-fat plain cream cheese. I'm not much on the flavored ones - bagel or cream cheese.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:54:25 (permalink)
I don't like bagels any more---grew up in a Jewish neighborhood on Long Island and loved bagels with cream cheese----only one type then and that was plain. But they are not the same any more.

Some baker on Long Island is baking NY Giant Blue bagels this week---if the Packers beat the Giants he will have to go back to regular old ordinary brown I guess. But I hope he has to keep it up for another few weeks---GO GIANTS !!!
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:59:29 (permalink)
Rolings Bakery in Elkins Park, PA at 7848 Montgomery Ave. Crisp outside,soft inside and all hand made. None of the chain stuff for me.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 21:17:39 (permalink)
I no longer have access to NY bagels here in Florida. But, there are several places that make a bagel close to or equal to NY's. One is the Sage in Hallendale, FL. There is another place in Pompano and a few others, too. Lake Worth, I believe.

However, for those who are not near a fresh bagel store, there is a terrific option. Ray's Frozen NY Bagels. They wonderful and can be found in places like Publix and I'm sure other supermarkets. All you do is take them while frozen(do not defrost them!) and put them in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Shut off the oven and let it sit another minute.

Let them cool off enough so you can cut them. Enjoy!
JoeDunbar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 21:31:43 (permalink)
Montreal's St.Viateur Bagels (open 24 hours) have phenomenal bagels baked fresh all day and night. They are ordered by seed: white (sesame) and black (poppy). Get some Astro cream cheese (like Ben's in NYC).
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2008/01/18 13:13:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner Some baker on Long Island is baking NY Giant Blue bagels this week---if the Packers beat the Giants he will have to go back to regular old ordinary brown I guess. But I hope he has to keep it up for another few weeks---GO GIANTS !!!
Why not green ones, assuming the Packers win. I'm looking forward to seeing the Pack play another original NFL franchise. We got our heads handed to us by the Bears twice already.

Prediction: Let's just say it's no coincidence that the Cardinals won their sole NFL championship in Chicago.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6474
RE: Bagels 2008/01/18 17:27:35 (permalink)
There is just something wrong about coloring food an abnormal color.

Blue bagel could = blueberries
Green bagel = ?????????

B.U.M. - I do hope the pack wins, but I will stick with blueberry bagels
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1