Baked Stuffed Peppers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2458
2011/08/25 09:31:18 (permalink)

Baked Stuffed Peppers

I haven't made Baked Stuffed Peppers in years, I tried them in one of our Cafes in the 90's they didn't go over that well. One of my cooks asked if we could serve them as a Special, my answer was, I made them once they don't know what good food is out here, I'm not going to make it and no have it sell. I gave into the idea, I told my cook just don't make a lot of them, lets see how it goes. Well, it goes to show ya "I don't know everything", we made 36 orders, with Mashed potatoes and hot vegetable and sold them all during the lunch hour. I haven't made them at my home in over 20 yrs, My wife said, why the heck haven't we had these in a long time. The only twist I made in the recipe is I used a homemade Mexican Rice that one of my Mexican cooks made, it was full of flavor and worked out well.

Before baked:

after Baked:

46 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 10:13:39 (permalink)
    We, too, havent had them in years!! Thanks for the inspiration, and yours look awesome!
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 10:17:16 (permalink)
    Back in the Navy we used to call these thing sea-bags, and they were right up there on our list of all time favorites like s-o-s and spam sandwiches. Although I will say they looked nothing like yours. I might actually be willing to try one of them.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 10:18:00 (permalink)
    Those look good,  but I've gotten tired of bell pepper stuffed with 'meatloaf' type mix.    ... How can we make a chili relleno like this?   I know rellenos are normally battered & deep fried.   Can you email me a taste of those???   ...

A couple weeks ago at a Mexican restaurant, my order of chili rellenos had a 'refrigerator' taste.  And the bottom was brown. It was either paper or old pepper (dry pepper)????  I still don't know what I saw.   There was a small (3/4-inch) of green pepper at one end. I sent it back and canceled my relleno order.  I has a large severing of nachos.   The waitress claim they made all rellenos fresh to order.   That one was not. This was the first time I've ever sent a Mexican dish back.
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/08/25 10:20:02
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 10:31:31 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF, I've been thinking about making these, for the last couple weeks! Would you mind giving an idea of how you put the dish together? I think I could just eyeball it up, but sometimes it's nice to have an idea. There are hundreds of ideas online, of course, but there's nothing like getting them from someone you trust.
    pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 12:26:31 (permalink)
    Hi Mosca, for you I will. The problem I have giving people recipes is, I do all my cooking by Touch, feel, smell and taste.
    2lbs of my Black Angus ground Chuck made (10- 1/2 stuffed peppers)
    3 eggs
    White rice ( cooked and cooled)
    Dried parsley
    Italian seasoning
    salt & Pepper
    Granulated Garlic
    few squirts of ketchup
    small chopped onions
    if the mixture is to wet, put in some seasoned bread crumbs to tighten it up a bit, s/b like meatballs or meatloaf. Put a can of diced tomatoes in a baking dish, "loosely" pack the one half pepper and top with some ketchup place on top of the diced tomatoes in the baking dish. I cook covered until the internal temp is about 130, uncover to brown and cook to about 165 to 170 degrees.............I cook these at 375 degrees, they cook faster if your not making as many. I made 10, they freeze real nice. If you have any problems I would be happy to call you, or I could send over "Chewingthefat" to do the dishes...............take care......Bill

P.S.  When you cook them covered, they cook/steam the pepper so they get nice and tender, sometimes the peppers are thick and stay hard/undercooked.

pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 12:45:20 (permalink)
    edwmax

Those look good,  but I've gotten tired of bell pepper stuffed with 'meatloaf' type mix.    ... How can we make a chili relleno like this?   I know rellenos are normally battered & deep fried.   Can you email me a taste of those???   ...

A couple weeks ago at a Mexican restaurant, my order of chili rellenos had a 'refrigerator' taste.  And the bottom was brown. It was either paper or old pepper (dry pepper)????  I still don't know what I saw.   There was a small (3/4-inch) of green pepper at one end. I sent it back and canceled my relleno order.  I has a large severing of nachos.   The waitress claim they made all rellenos fresh to order.   That one was not. This was the first time I've ever sent a Mexican dish back.

Hi Ed, I stopped ordering Rellenos in Restaurants, I have seen them premade, Prefried and held in the refer until ordered. I don't want a TV dinner when I go to a Restaurant, I know you don't either. I had a hard time E-mailing a taste of the Stuffed pepper, I Texted it instead...........take care.........Bill
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 13:10:12 (permalink)
    I couldn't wait for this thread to open.... to see your pictures!

Outstanding.

I, also haven't made stuffed peppers in years. 

You are an inspriation!
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 14:00:18 (permalink)
    I can't eat eggs or rice, so leave the eggs out and substitute orzo for the rice, and I'm there!
    edwmax
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 14:12:52 (permalink)
    Hummm ... If I knew the Rellenos were pre-cooked frozen, i sure as heck wouldn't order them.

I think I will try your above recipe with roasted Anaheim/poblano pepper; and switch the Italian seasoning for Mexican, Cajun & chili pepper; ketchup to pureed salsa;  top with salsa, then cheese when browning.    ... And, not use the egg batter usually on Rellenos.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 15:28:10 (permalink)
    I do similar stuffed peppers using large sweet banana peppers. The bell pepper taste to so strong it over-shadows the stuffing, but the bananas have just enough pepper taste.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 15:44:41 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF, They look excellent.  What are you, some kind of chef?

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 16:31:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bill! It's ok on the recipe, I'm going to riff off it. I can see where it goes. My plan is to use a dutch oven, in the oven, or I might smoke-bake them in the egg.
    pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 16:33:54 (permalink)
    Ed: I think that would work just fine, Mexican rice along with Mexican spices would make this full of flavor............

Joerogo: I'm still working my way up to your Lasagna Quality.

Mosca: Let me know how they come out, good luck
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/08/25 16:35:52
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 16:40:43 (permalink)

I used to hate these things. My grandmother used to make a huge porcelain stock/canning bath type of these or pigs in blankets and they were horrible, always burned on the bottom, and I think it was an exercise to see how far you could stretch a pound of ground meat with rice. Absolutely tasteless and the only thing she poured over them was tomato juice. The cafeteria ones weren't much better, so I grew to hate the thought of them.

I used to meet up with a friend of mine at an Italian Cafeteria in Downtown Miami that was sort of similar to Sbarro or Cozzoli's up front , but all enclosed and full serving line with Italian entrees like a regular cafeteria with table seating. Wish I could remember the name of the place, they were popular around here back during the late 70's early 80's. Joan got me to try hers, insisting how good it was...wow! I never tasted anything like this. They were small and used red bell peppers, but covered in a tasty red sauce and stuffed with a very heavily seasoned rice/meat mixture. The chain folded not long afterwards and I sure missed them.  Fast forward a few years later around the mid 80's while I was in grad school and we were at an a going-out-of-business closing sale at Montgomery-Ward's late one evening. Turns out the closeout manager I remembered as the serving line supervisor. I had to ask and sure got an answer what was in them. They used to make an Italian Dirty Rice using Italian Sausage as a steam table entree. That was mixed together with lots of fresh, chopped Italian parsley, and some crushed fennel seed mixed into their marinara sauce until it almost looked black he told me. They added dry, grated parmesan to the rice and mixed the sauce and meat/rice together as a filling IIRC. They finished these with mozzarella and pine nuts, drenched in their red sauce. I've been making a variation on this using turkey sausage and leftover spaghetti sauce for years using green peppers.
    edwmax
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 18:36:34 (permalink)
    Ok  ... I did it.

Oh well ... too much in the pan to see the peppers.  There is 5 over stuffed poblanos and 3 stuff jalapenos, all roasted.

Plated 1 poblano and 2 of the jalapenos.

My in pan presentation is not as pretty as yours PNWChef.  I'll work on that next time.
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/08/25 18:41:26
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 18:51:24 (permalink)
    They look good to me, edwmax!
    pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 19:00:57 (permalink)
    Ed, I bet the flavor was great, I think your right, this is a perfect match as a Mexican or Southwestern Stuffed pepper..............Great job Buddy.............
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 19:21:25 (permalink)
    edwmax

Darn You!!! i am stuck here for another hour and a half and no access to food (ice chips don't count). 

Did the Jalapenos mellow as you baked them??
    edwmax
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/25 19:55:14 (permalink)
    PNWChef   ... the flavor was great, ... I just got the stuffing a little spicy.  It was from the cayenne pepper or the Crystal sauce i added.  I'll get this recipe worked out yet, or get fat doing it.

CajunKing   ... I roasted the peppers and slipped the skin off.  Jalapeno have a great mild & mellow flavor roasted.
    I cooked the stuffing on the stove top so I could adjust flavor to my taste and as needed.     ... This was a first time recipe to me modifying PNWChef's recipe above.   So the pan only need 20 to 30 minutes in the oven @ 350 to finish.

Oh ... I used crushed saltine crackers in the bottom of the pan and then poured the diced tomato over the bottom.   I also, used some crushed crackers instead of bread crumbs in the stuffing.
    edwmax
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/26 18:21:07 (permalink)
    Hymmm ... they were just as good reheated for supper tonight!

PNWChef  ... see what happens when you don't email a taste!  ...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/27 12:43:52 (permalink)
    I was making stuffed peppers for my parents about once a month because they really like them.  I use both red and green peppers ( red for mom, green for my dad and me).  I use a combination of beef and ground pork along with the usual stuff in addition to 1T of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water.  My mom taught me that one, makes the meat super tender.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/28 13:50:12 (permalink)
    Growing up I didn't like my mother's - she overcooked the peppers, and used a standard meatloaf mix with too much rice - but I do like trying them different ways and here are a few variations that are good: 

Instead of canned, diced tomatoes, try a can of Rotel

Use half ground chuck, and mild Italian sausage removed from the casing.  

I like grated cheddar in the filling mixture, and on top

Add a few shrimp to the meat mixture

I'll add a small amount of both rice and bread crumbs together in the mixture.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/28 17:37:13 (permalink)
    PNWChef, gonna git me a camera, camera and internet picture savy, then challenge you to throwdowns, your grub looks great!
    pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/28 19:11:04 (permalink)
    Hey Tom, If I have to wait for you to buy a Camera, learn how to use it with one hand ( Beer in the other) I'll be to old for a throwdown...........
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/28 21:59:25 (permalink)
    Chewy

I should buy you that camera so I can see some more of your awesome food!!! 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/29 11:43:52 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Chewy

I should buy you that camera so I can see some more of your awesome food!!! 

CajunKing, if you could buy me Internet smarts, I'd be up fot that!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/29 11:47:51 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Hey Tom, If I have to wait for you to buy a Camera, learn how to use it with one hand ( Beer in the other) I'll be to old for a throwdown...........

Bill, I just got one of those hats that holds a beer and has a straw you chug from. Wait till you see my smoked corned beef, it's yeow good!

pnwchef
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/08/29 13:26:18 (permalink)
    Tom, everyone is waiting for Chubby's new menu items. I would like to see the Corned beef, it sounds great. You do a great job with all your food, it's all heart, and it shows Tom................The Best.................Bill
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Baked Stuffed Peppers 2011/09/01 17:34:37 (permalink)
    OK, the peppers are on. I did mine more like Ed's. I got 3 green peppers, 3 red peppers because they were on sale with a club card for the same price as the green peppers, and only one yellow and one orange pepper, because they weren't on sale.

I used about 2 1/2 lbs ground beef, enough rice to make it look proportionate (maybe 3:2 beef:rice), one large sweet onion, two cloves garlic, 2 packs of Goya sazon sin aciote, about 1/4 cup chili powder, and about a quart of mild bottled salsa. No eggs, no bread crumbs, it looked and tasted pretty good just like that, and had a nice consistency. This made enough stuffing for probably 10-12 peppers; I only had 8, so I added the leftover to the sauce (see below).

For the sauce around the outside, I cut up and sauteed the tops of the peppers, then added a 32 oz can of diced tomatoes, a packet of the Goya, about 2T chile powder, and about a pint of the salsa. it looked like it could be a little thinner, so I added a can of V8 juice. I tossed in about a cup of leftover rice, and what was left of the topping that didn't fit in the peppers.

Then I topped everything with about a pound of grated mixed Mexican cheese, put it in the big cast iron kettle, and put it on the egg @ 350º.! (I don't have a top for this beast, so I covered it with foil. I could probably get a top on ebay, or new through Amazon, but whatever.) I'll put up the picture when it's done.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1