Baking like crazy

Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2003/09/01 08:50:15 (permalink)

Baking like crazy

Tomorrow is the entry day for baked goods at our local fair. So today I will be baking like crazy! Thank goodness it isn't too hot today! Before I get started, I thought I would tempt you all with what I am entering. Ginger Spice Cookies (with chips of crystallized ginger), Pumpkin Bread (with currants), Corn Muffins, and Maple Syrup Muffins. No pies, because I am still not happy with my attempts at pie crust. No cakes, because the thought of baking AND decorating just about makes me give up right there.

Here's to spending the day with flour on your butt!!

Meowzart

22 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 11:55:05 (permalink)
    Yum! Let us know how many Blue Ribbons you win!
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 16:00:28 (permalink)
    Meowzart, good luck! I would appreciate the recipe for those cookies, they sound great.

Karen the OCdreamr who hasn't entered a fair in a long time
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 16:15:44 (permalink)
    OC...you ever get a ribbon for any of your stuff? I've judged but never entered before. I figured it was about time I learned what it was like on the flip side.

I'll report back after judging, and let everybody know how my stuff did. Cookie recipe to follow.
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 17:14:38 (permalink)
    Only cooking item I got a ribbon for was for fudge, that one from the state fair. Other ribbons for photos & needlework, from state & Howard County
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 19:49:05 (permalink)
    I'd love to see the recipe for the Maple Syrup Muffins. Care to share...or trade for one of my recipes?
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 23:45:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

Only cooking item I got a ribbon for was for fudge, that one from the state fair.

Your not getting away until you post the recipe for your Fudge...
    Please?????????????????????????????????
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/01 23:46:59 (permalink)
    That must be a dream job............Judging the food entrys at the State Fair. Where do I sign up at?????
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/02 21:48:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:

Only cooking item I got a ribbon for was for fudge, that one from the state fair.

Your not getting away until you post the recipe for your Fudge...
    Please?????????????????????????????????

Okay Big Glenn, Here's the recipe. It originally came from a book put out by Carnation back in 1970

1/4 cup butter 2 cups semisweet
    1/2 cup liquid coffee-mate chocolat chips
    2 cups sugar 1/2 cup chopped nuts
    1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup marshmellow creme

combine first 4 ingrediants in pot & bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes, stirring the entire time. (timing starts as the first bubbles form) Remove from heat, add the rest of the ingrediants. Stir vigorously for 1 minute until chocolat & marshmellow are melted. Pour into 8inch square buttered pan. Put in fridge to chill. Cut into squares when ready.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/02 22:28:45 (permalink)
    quote:

Okay Big Glenn, Here's the recipe. It originally came from a book put out by Carnation back in 1970

Thanks, OC! This is the first recipe I'll be trying next Christmas. (I'll be using the 2003 crop of Texas pecans!)
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/02 23:03:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Thanks, OC! This is the first recipe I'll be trying next Christmas. (I'll be using the 2003 crop of Texas pecans!)

I'll tell ya Bushie, I haven't made this in a while & when I was typing it in I got to thinking about the Coffeemates that are flavored & wondered how they might work. Gonna have to make some fudge soon!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 09:24:45 (permalink)
    OK...finally made it to the fair last night to see how I did. Corn muffins...nuthin. Maple syrup muffins: second place in the "Muffins-Other" category. Pumpkin bread: first place in the "Quick breads-other" category. And....drum roll please....Best In Show for my Ginger Spice Cookies. As my British friend would say, I was totally gobsmacked. I never thought my first time out I would do so well. And I can't tell you what a rush it is to see a ribbon on your work...validation for your efforts. Just wonderful. If you have ever thought of entering something in your state or local fair, I encourage you to do so. It is a real rush. AND, most importantly, you would be supporting an institution that seems to be dying as quickly as some of our favorite mom and pop establishments--the agricultural fair. As we lose more and more of our farms to suburbs and sprawl, entries and exhibits are dwindling at almost every fair (at least in our area). Even though we live in a 'burb or what was once farmland, we can still uphold the home arts the were born on the farm. And don't even try to tell me that baking or canning isn't an art!! It is beauty and science mixed for something delicious and nourishing for body and soul. I'd call that art!

OK...enough preaching. Now for the recipes people asked for...

GINGER SPICE COOKIES (cut from an issue of Bon Appetit and modified by me...must give credit where credit is due)

2 cups all purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsps. ground ginger
    2 tsps. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (aka candied ginger)
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup shortening
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup molasses (anything but black strap)

Sift together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and salt. Mix in crystallized ginger. In a separate bowl using electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter until fluffy. And the egg and molasses and beat until well blended. Add the flour mixture in two batches and mix until just blended. Refrigerate cookie dough for at least one hour. Overnight is fine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray two cookie sheets. Place some white sugar in a thin layer on a plate. Take some dough and form into about 1-inch diameter balls. Roll in sugar and place on prepared cookie sheets, leaving lots of room for spreading. Bake until they are beautifullly cracked on the top, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Makes 2-3 dozen depending on the size of your balls!

MAPLE SYRUP MUFFINS (from my mom)

Start with one egg, beaten slightly. Stir in 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of maple syrup, and 1/4 cup oil. Sift together and add to wet mixture: 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tsp. baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt. Stir until just moist. OK for batter to be lumpy. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!
    Meowzart
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 09:52:10 (permalink)
    Let me be the first to congratulate you. I know I won't be the last. Well done!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 11:26:05 (permalink)
    You go,Girl!!! Congrats!!! and thanks for the recipes!!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 11:47:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Let me be the first to congratulate you. I know I won't be the last. Well done!

I also would like to congratulate you and I will be baking those cookies this week...........anything with candied ginger floats my boat!
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 20:19:28 (permalink)
    way to go Meowzart!! Thanks for the recipes, will be trying them soon.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 21:25:20 (permalink)
    Congrats! That's quite an achievement. I brought some candied ginger this summer at a sweets shop in Maine but it was quite expensive and I only got a little. What is your source? I want to try those cookies!! Great job!!!
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/07 22:34:07 (permalink)
    Congratulations! What wonderful news! And many thanks for the recipes.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/08 00:32:40 (permalink)
    First off, congrats to Meowzart!

This year, with business being what it is (chaotic and marginally profitable, yet still a total time sink), I didn't get to enter anything, but we did attend the fair, and it's always fun to see what people are up to in the baking department. Perhaps most bizarre of all, our county fair's Best In Show was a ginger-spice cookie as well, and the best-looking entries in all of the cookie classes (4H youth, non-4H youth, adult, seniot) were spice cookies of some sort. I think there's a fix in.

As for sources for inexpensive crystallized ginger, the best bet is probably from Frontier Natural Products Co-Op, packagers of fine herbs and spices. Most natural food stores carry their bulk herbs, as well as some better supermarkets. I love all of their products, and have used their crystalized ginger to much success. Not a ribbon, but certainly a darned good looed chicken.

Eric
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/08 07:05:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

First off, congrats to Meowzart!

carry their bulk herbs, as well as some better supermarkets. I love all of their products, and have used their crystalized ginger to much success. Not a ribbon, but certainly a darned good looed chicken.

Eric

youve peaked my interest-----looed chicken???--tell me more,please--i hate it when someone is talking about a food and i have no idea what their talking about!!!but chicken and ginger---sounds worth investigating!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/08 08:03:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LizzieR

Congrats! That's quite an achievement. I brought some candied ginger this summer at a sweets shop in Maine but it was quite expensive and I only got a little. What is your source? I want to try those cookies!! Great job!!!

I have found the best place to buy the ginger at a most reasonable price is an Asian food market. I just checked the container that I now have on hand and I paid $2.99 for 12 oz. It sure beats supermarket prices!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/08 09:05:08 (permalink)
    I second chezkatie. Asian groceries are the best bet for lower priced crystallized ginger. I have also seen it available in bulk at upper end organic groceries (such as Whole Foods). I have also had some luck at regular supermarkets in areas with a more ethnic demographic.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baking like crazy 2003/09/08 09:16:32 (permalink)
    Congratulations, meowzart!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1