Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
  • Roadfood Insider
Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 1:18 PM (permalink)
As I indicated a couple of weeks ago, I'm planning a mini labor day weekend ballpark trip to Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. I will be seeing the Wilmington DE Blue Rocks, The Norfolk VA Tides and The Bowie MD Baysox in that order. Thought I would share my preliminary culinary itinerary and I also invite suggestions or critiques.

Friday August 29th.
Lunch: Jack Coopers Celebrity Deli or Harold's NY Deli Edison NJ
Dinner: The Dog House in New Castle DE or the The Charcoal Pit in Wilmington DE (whichever has the better cheesesteak) Any suggestions would be Helpful

Saturday August 30th
Breakfast: The Post House in Wilmington DE
Lunch: The Virginia Diner in Wakefield VA
Dinner: Lockhart's in Norfolk VA

Sunday August 30th
Breakfast: Mc Cleans in Richmond VA
Lunch: Most Likely at the Ballpark in Bowie
Dinner: St Mary's in Charlotte Hall MD

Monday: September 1st
Breakfast: Toss up Between Cafe Hon, Jimmy's and The Blue Moon Cafe in Baltimore MD. Any suggestions would be helpful!

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
    RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:05 PM (permalink)
    Depending on what time you are planning on breakfast on Monday you might want to keep in mind that one of the local TV stations does a thing called "Manic Monday Morning" from the square outside Jimmy's. iT'S around 6AM and all cleared up by 8. It's really kind of fun & not necessarily a large crowd, could be a bit of fun to catch really. Other than that I would definitely say go with Jimmy's.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
      RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:15 PM (permalink)
      Hey Wandering, I can't vouch for the cheesesteaks at the Charcoal Pit because I thought everyone only got the burgers and fries there, but if you're going thru Philly stop somewhere else for a cheesesteak if that's what you want. Also, stay away from the ballpark food and go to some of the local joints for lunch instead. There are some good neighborhood bars (hotels, they call them) that have great food, particularly crab cake sandwiches and other sandwiches.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
        RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:27 PM (permalink)
        Dog House is extremely convenient to I-95, so you might want to let that be your guide. If holiday weekend traffic is maddening, as it likely will be, an easy-on easy-off stop might be the ticket. On the other hand, why not do both? Charcoal Pit on the way down and Dog House on the return trip.

Curious about 2 things. Why settle for lunch at the ballpark, and why backtrack to Charlotte Hall rather than stop there on the way to the game?

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:49 PM (permalink)
          Suggestions for your Friday Aug. 29: Go to Jack Cooper's Celebrity Deli and don't go to The Dog House or The Charcoal Pit for cheesesteaks (Charcoal Pit doesn't have them); go for the house specialties. Hot Dogs at The Dog House and Burgers and ice cream sundaes at Charcoal Pit.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:53 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by jpatweb

Curious about 2 things. Why settle for lunch at the ballpark, and why backtrack to Charlotte Hall rather than stop there on the way to the game?

It's going to be a Sunday Afternoon game @ 1PM. It will be too early to head to Charlotte Hall before the game and since I'll be heading up to Bowie from Norfolk I really won't have any time to get lunch along the way, besides McCleans in Richmond serves a very traditional southern breakfast, so that will probably hold me over until dinner. Also Charlotte Hall is only 30 miles from my hotel. I'm staying in Upper Marlboro, so I won't be back tracking too badly.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
              RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 2:55 PM (permalink)
              Dale, Saturday, It's about 6 hours from Wilmington to Wakefield. You're going to be awfully hungry by then. I'll be in Williamsburg for the weekend, how about a stop at Pierces Pitt BBQ instead.

In Wilmington, I'd do a foot long at the Dog House for an appetizer and then the burger and rings at Charcoal Pit. Are you heading for the original on 202? Have you tried the turkey dinner sub at Capriottis? or one from Casapullas?

On the way to Bowie, take 301 and stop at Johnny Boy Ribs in La Plata, and wash it down with a homemade rootbeer at Twin Kiss just across and up the road. There's also Rips near the ballpark.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 3:32 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by signman

Dale, Saturday, It's about 6 hours from Wilmington to Wakefield. You're going to be awfully hungry by then. I'll be in Williamsburg for the weekend, how about a stop at Pierces Pitt BBQ instead.

In Wilmington, I'd do a foot long at the Dog House for an appetizer and then the burger and rings at Charcoal Pit. Are you heading for the original on 202? Have you tried the turkey dinner sub at Capriottis? or one from Casapullas?

On the way to Bowie, take 301 and stop at Johnny Boy Ribs in La Plata, and wash it down with a homemade rootbeer at Twin Kiss just across and up the road. There's also Rips near the ballpark.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard great things about the Virginia Diner and always wanted to check it out. Especially their Peanut Pie and Peanut Soup. I also heard the serve up some pretty good spoonbread. don't know if I'll have a chance for bbq on this trip, although I've never been to Pierce's.

I still consider Wilmington "cheesesteak territory" so I'm probably going to stick to that. If you know where I can get the best cheesesteak in Wilmington by all means let me know!

Tell me more about Rips near the ball park. Thanks

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Thu, 07/31/03 4:58 PM (permalink)
                  In Wilmington, definitely go to Casapulla's North Steak & Sub Shop. It's at 2702 Concord Pike (Rt. 202). Great cheesesteaks and subs! It's about ten minutes from Frawley Stadium where the Blue Rocks play.

signman

RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Fri, 08/1/03 5:49 AM (permalink)
                    OK, so you've got your heart set on Virginia Diner. I still say you'll be hungry before you get there, so I'll throw out a few more suggestions. In Fredericksburg, Carl's Custard, been there forever. Or a quick barbeque with slaw and real limeaid at Bill's BBQ just off the Boulevard exit of 95 as you go thru Richmond (not around it) Easy return and it's just across the street from the Brave's ballpark which used to be called Parker Field, but now is just known as the Ballpark, I think.

In Baltimore, I like Jimmy's Pancake Special with a side of good home fries. It's a scene there. I guess they'll be open on Labor Day.

Rips is just a local place that has been there for decades, and sticks out now amidst all of the development that has taken place around the ballpark on 301. Passed it many times, but have never stopped. It's within the first hour heading south from Baltimore.

Back to Wilmington, you will find Casapulla's just across the street from Charcoal Pit on 202. It's in a house. Most sub shops in Wilmington are carry out, no tables inside. I personally do not like to eat something messy in my car.

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Fri, 08/1/03 8:15 AM (permalink)
                      Go to Casapulla's before the game and take the sandwich to the game. You can eat it there if you don't want to eat it in your car. If food's good, I'll eat it anywhere.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 08/27/03 8:21 AM (permalink)
                        Here is the final draft for my final baseball trip of the season which begins Friday. I will provide a complete report upon my return.

Friday August 29th.
                        Lunch: Jack Coopers Celebrity Deli or Harold's NY Deli Edison NJ (still a tossup) probably won't decide until I take the exit
                        Dinner: Casapulla's North Steaks and Subs in Wilmington DE

Saturday August 30th
                        Breakfast: The Post House in Wilmington DE
                        Lunch: The Virginia Diner in Wakefield VA
                        Dinner: Lockhart's in Norfolk VA

Sunday August 30th
                        Breakfast: Mc Cleans in Richmond VA
                        Lunch: Rip's Country Inn in Bowie
                        Dinner: St Mary's in Charlotte Hall MD

Monday: September 1st
                        Breakfast: Jimmy's in Baltimore MD.
                        lunch: either Walter's in Mamaroneck NY or Swanky Franks in Norwalk CT

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
                          RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 08/27/03 9:03 AM (permalink)
                          I haven't been to Harold's, but I can vouch for Jack Cooper's. If you do go there, note that it is inside a shopping center. I drove up and down its street a couple times looking for a stand-alone building and wasted a lot of time.

Overall, it looks like an ambitious agenda. Enjoy. I'm making a short trip as well--a long-awaited first-time visit to Kansas City.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 1:45 PM (permalink)
                            Ok, back from the final baseball trip of the season and no rain!I started out on friday morning after a breakfast of Jonnycakes and Canadian Bacon right here at Jiggers Diner in East Greenwich RI. The Jonnycakes are South County style. Thick and substantial with that "cornmeally" bite. Then I continued on to Edison NJ and decided on Jack Cooper's Celebrity Deli only because the directions seemed easier. As it turns out Jack Cooper just retired and sold his deli to a Korean American however they are keeping the Jack Cooper name and leaving the deli as is. I ordered the Pastrami & Corned Beef on Rye. I thought the meat was a little too lean but the sandwich overall wasn't bad, but not as good as the Carnegie or 2nd Avenue Deli. Of course I had a Dr Browns Cel-Ray soda to wash it all down. I arrived in Wilmington DE in the afternoon and passed the Charcoal Pit and Capasulla's on the way to my hotel. I noticed the "steaks" sign underneath the Charcoal Pit sign, so curiousity got the best of me. I decided on a mid afternoon cheesesteak snack at the Charcoal Pit. It was surprisingly good, and came with hot pepper relish on the side, although the bread could have been a little chewier. Before heading to the ballpark, I stopped at Capasulla's and got the "baby" cheesesteak. The bread was great, a good chewy philly style roll, however I prefer cheesesteaks where the onions sit on the grill for a while and are more limp, at Capasulla's the sandwich is made to order and the fried onions are relatively "fresh" and have a "snap" to them. Anyway I headed to the ballpark and saw the Wilmington Blue Rocks beat the Potomac cannons 1-0. On Saturday I headed to the Post House in Wilmington for breakfast, of course I had scrapple, that was the most notable item on the breakfast menu. Everything else was ok. I then headed down to Peanut Country in Wakefield Virginia and went to the Virginia Diner for Lunch. Had the Fried Chicken and BBQ pork platter along with spoon bread, mac n cheese, collards and stewed tomatos over black eyed peas. Unfortunately they did not have peanut soup available on the menu that day The piece de restistance was the Peanut Butter Silk pie. Absolutely decadent! I drove to Norfolk and headed to Lockharts for dinner. I had the crab norfolk, but was somewhat dissappointed. Not that it wasn't good, but I guess I was expecting to hear gregorian chants and see angels dancing around my head, oh well, the corn bread was delicious though as well as the steamed cabbage. I then went to see the Norfolk tides lose to the Richmond Braves. The next day I drove to Richmond for an artery clogging breakfast at McLeans. Had their big breakfast which consists of 3 Eggs, Cheese, Fried Apples, Grits, Biscuits, Juice and Choice of meat, in my case, fried bologna. I've been there 1/2 dozen times and have never been dissappointed. I continued on to Bowie MD and noticed that Rips Country Inn was practically right across the street from the Ballpark. I parked my car at the ball park and walked to the restaurant and had a good (not great) Crabcake Sandwich. Fries were served on the side, which I decided to transform into Chesapeake Style fries by adding vinegar and old bay seasoning. After the ball game between the Baysox and the Reading Phillies, I drove down to St Mary's Landing in Charlotte Hall and had the Stuffed Ham which I understand is traditionally served cold. It was delicious, had a tangy bite to it, almost like pastrami. On Labor day, I decided to skip Baltimore altogether, in attemtp to avoid traffic, I found a place in Jessup MD called Frank's Diner, an old fashioned diner out of the 50's and had their chipped beef on a biscuit. I was surprised to see that biscuits are still served as far north as Baltimore. My final stop was at Swanky Franks in Norwalk CT for lunch. The place was packed! Their hot dogs do snap when you bite into them, so do their onion rings. A great way to end a good culinary and baseball trip!

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 2:03 PM (permalink)
                              Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for posting your summary of the trip.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks for the write-up wanderingjew! Sounds like a great trip with great food.

I have never heard of stuffed ham before.

ocdreamr

RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Lone Star

Thanks for the write-up wanderingjew! Sounds like a great trip with great food.

I have never heard of stuffed ham before.

Stuffed Ham is a Southern Maryland tradition. The ham is not smoked or dry cured in the manner most people think of as ham, it is corned (hence Wanderinjew's likening it to pastrami) The ham has slits cut into it that are stuffed with seasoned greens, any extra greens are placed over the top. The ham is then tied up in a clean cloth (a clean white t-shirt works well) & simmered until done.

By the way Wandering, do you have an address for the diner in Jessup? I might have to give it a try.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ocdreamr

By the way Wandering, do you have an address for the diner in Jessup? I might have to give it a try.

Take exit 41 on I-95 to route one heading south and it's about a 1/4 mile down on your right.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                      RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for your trip report, wanderingjew. I always enjoy reading them.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                        RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 10:35 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by wanderingjew

Fries were served on the side, which I decided to transform into Chesapeake Style fries by adding vinegar and old bay seasoning...

WJ, someone mentioned the "Chesapeake Style" fries on another thread; it may have been you. I LOVE malt vinegar on fries (I always use that instead of catsup on my homemade fries), but I've never tried Old Bay on them. I keep Old Bay in my cabinet for shrimp/crawfish boils, so I'm going to season my next batch of fries with it.

I'll add my "thanks" for posting your trip details. You always come up with some of the best places...

signman

RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Tue, 09/2/03 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Franks Diner is on Route 1, just south of the Rt. 175 interchange. Right side of the road as you head south towards Laurel.

mek

• Total Posts: 123
                                            RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                            wanderingjew-
                                            Thanks for the recap. I will definitely try some of the places you visited.
                                            Biscuits are definitely an item here in Maryland. We are,after all, the northernmost southern state. That's one thing that I like about Maryland- we have the influences of both the North and South.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by mek

wanderingjew-
                                              Thanks for the recap. I will definitely try some of the places you visited.
                                              Biscuits are definitely an item here in Maryland. We are,after all, the northernmost southern state. That's one thing that I like about Maryland- we have the influences of both the North and South.

See, now I always thought Maryland was the Southernmost Northern State. Baltimore seems to have more in common with Philadelphia than Richmond. Even the accents (Philly and Baltimore) are not too different from eachother. To me the south begins in Virginia, but only after the HOV lanes for DC end

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

WJ, someone mentioned the "Chesapeake Style" fries on another thread; it may have been you. I LOVE malt vinegar on fries (I always use that instead of catsup on my homemade fries), but I've never tried Old Bay on them. I keep Old Bay in my cabinet for shrimp/crawfish boils, so I'm going to season my next batch of fries with it.

I'll add my "thanks" for posting your trip details. You always come up with some of the best places...

Bushie,

I believe cider vinegar is traditionally used, however many restaurants in Maryland only have malt vinegar available, both are good, however malt vinegar is a little stronger and may take away some of the flavor of the old bay seasoning.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                                  RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by wanderingjew

Bushie,

I believe cider vinegar is traditionally used, however many restaurants in Maryland only have malt vinegar available, both are good, however malt vinegar is a little stronger and may take away some of the flavor of the old bay seasoning.

Thanks for the tip, WJ! I'll try the cider vinegar instead.

mek

• Total Posts: 123
                                                    RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                                    wanderingjew,
                                                    We are below the Mason-Dixon line, so, geographically, we are southern.
                                                    Historically- Lincoln only receved 4% of the votes in Maryland during the election of 1860.
                                                    South of Baltimore and on the Eastern Shore, the influence is definitely more Southern. But, back to the future! I agree with your thoughts on Balto.-Philly. In fact, I LOVE Philly. My Dad took me to my first Mummer's parade when I was five years old. Anumber of my university friends grew up there. I love to eat in Philly!

ocdreamr

• Location: Wilmington, NC
                                                      RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      How Southern is Maryland? Just remember that John Wlkes Booth was a Marylander, born & bred. Baltimore was kept under Marshal Law during the Civil War to keep it from suceeding from the Union. One of the deepest Southern accents I ever heard belonged to a lady I worked with back in the early 70's. She was a native of Maryland's Eastern shore. Baltimore's affinity with Philadelphia comes from it's having been a major port of entry for the German immigrant in the last century, many of whom went on to Pennsylvania but just as many stayed here. My own ancestors on my father's side are Pennsylvania Deutch.
                                                      Well, I'd better stop, I'm starting to digress, those of us into genealogy have a tendency to to that!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Ballpark Trip Labor Day Weekend Wed, 09/3/03 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by ocdreamr

One of the deepest Southern accents I ever heard belonged to a lady I worked with back in the early 70's. She was a native of Maryland's Eastern shore.

When I was in Hagerstown back in July I was amazed at how the people there sounded like they were from West Virginia. Then I looked at a map and noticed Hagerstown is only about 5 miles away from the West Virginia Border! I've never been to the Eastern Shore, so most of my Maryland experiences have been in the Baltimore and DC areas which of course have a more Northern feel. I too have always found history and geneology fascinating. Regional dialects and accents have also been interesting.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com