Baltimore Crab Cakes

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
salembrewer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2003/03/02 23:04:46 (permalink)

Baltimore Crab Cakes

One place stands out, Faidley's in the Lexington Market (I think) in Baltimore Maryland. The softball sized thing will cost you $12.95 but will be LOADED with backfin blue crabmeat on a forgettable hamburger bun with some lettuce and tomato. Holy Cow, this is the FOOD of the GODS!

79 Replies Related Threads

joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/03/03 22:22:45 (permalink)
    That sounds great. I go to school right up the street from Lex Market (I'm at the pharmacy school)..I'll have to check it out one of these days!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 07:14:04 (permalink)
    Faidley's serve absolutely the best Crab Cakes anywhere. I keep trying to re-create the Faidley's experience but no other place stacks up.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 08:47:18 (permalink)
    I haven't tried Faidley's, but I do love Angelina's crab cakes up in Parkville. They used to win awards...not sure if they have lately, though.

Meowzart
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 12:42:37 (permalink)
    I've never had a great crabcake except along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay - the rest of the nation should be prohibited from producing their poor imitations of the real thing. The best I've found were in Cambridge in the Robert Morris Inn?, in Kent Island in the Jetty, and Fisherman's Inn, and someplace in Ocean City that I forget the name, and someplace in Crisfield a lot of years ago...
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 13:28:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I've never had a great crabcake except along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay - the rest of the nation should be prohibited from producing their poor imitations of the real thing.

Amen, whenever I hear of one of these up & coming new chefs trying to improve on the crabcake I want to take away their toque. They are always putting strange things in the cakes. With crab, the number one rule is the simpler the better, let the crab shine. Here in Maryland everybody has their special cake recipe but truth be told they are all just variations on the same basic things - egg,mayo,mustard,filler(crackers or bread), seasonings and most import quality meat.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 17:18:58 (permalink)
    And the less "filler" ( bread, crackers) the better.

I must add that I have made a pretty damn good crab cake at home using Maine "Jonah Crab" meat which is regurally available here at half the price of Chesapeake Blue crab. But it still aint like the real thing eaten in any kind of place along the shores of Chesapeake.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 18:12:24 (permalink)
    John,
    I think you just expressed the reason why regional foods are so popular. Using the same exact recipe for crab cakes that are produced at one of your favorite Chesapeake locations, you can make a reasonable substitute...but it still isn't quite the same. I make a good, sometimes great, Pork Shoulder on the BBQ Smoker...but no matter how good the final results are, it is not the same as the one I would find at a bunch of 'primitive' BBQ shacks spread thruout the South. Some of you commented about the horror of what Mexicans do to Lobster (fry/grilling it) It may be tasty , but it is nothing like the one you get sitting harborside at a Shanty in Rockport Maine.
    Roadfood is more than a tasting experience. It is a combination of the senses in an ambience that blends the whole thing into a positive event !!
    And I wouldn't have it anyother way. Why go to the shore, if you can get all the benefits with your microwave and some paper plates?? Look at all you would miss!
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/06/21 21:56:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

John,
    Roadfood is more than a tasting experience. It is a combination of the senses in an ambience that blends the whole thing into a positive event !!
    And I wouldn't have it anyother way. Why go to the shore, if you can get all the benefits with your microwave and some paper plates?? Look at all you would miss!

Amen!!!
    charmaine_go
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/03 10:19:47 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if Maryland has an annual crab festival. I imagine that they probably have several, if so, which ones are the best to attend? My husband and I just moved to New Jersey and would like to take a day trip to Maryland for a festival.

Thanks.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/03 11:28:51 (permalink)
    Here is another vote for Faidley's / with all the geat and wonderful food to try at the Lexington market , I always ahve room for a Faidley's crab cake because that is the first item I have.
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/03 21:46:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by charmaine_go

Hi,
    Does anyone know if Maryland has an annual crab festival. I imagine that they probably have several, if so, which ones are the best to attend? My husband and I just moved to New Jersey and would like to take a day trip to Maryland for a festival.

Thanks.

I know there is a crab oriented weekend in St Michael's at the Maritime Museum the weekend of 7/26-7/27. There is also the big crab festival in Crisfield it's at the end of August, both are on the Eastern shore. Here's a link to the Crisfield festival http://www.crisfield.org/crabderby.cfm
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/03 21:53:19 (permalink)
    They do a big oyster festival in St. Mary's County every year. October, I think. Not crabs, but still good for a day trip...
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/03 22:18:30 (permalink)
    I guess I'll have to try Faidleys crab cake. Have heard several sources proclaim it the best recently. Was last at Angelinas almost 2 years ago and they were still big and good.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/20 05:01:06 (permalink)
    I too like Faidley's but last time I was there, end of April, my buddy and I made the mistake of walking through the Lex. market first. I have done this several times before but this time the market area smelled, and I don't mean in a good way. Kinda ruined the experience.

I did have a crabcake though and it was still great. Afterwards we headed down to the ballpark for a Orioles game. On the way in we picked up several different hotdog and sausage sandwiches to enjoy during the game. W/O paying the high prices of inside the park.

Boy do I hate getting ripped off by concessionaires. Usury, shear usury.

While in Cincy this last week I drove by the new park a couple nights during the game and didn't see any vendors outside. Too bad, I would have stopped and tried some.

Mike
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/07/20 08:40:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salembrewer

One place stands out, Faidley's in the Lexington Market (I think) in Baltimore Maryland. The softball sized thing will cost you $12.95 but will be LOADED with backfin blue crabmeat on a forgettable hamburger bun with some lettuce and tomato. Holy Cow, this is the FOOD of the GODS!

I believe that you ordered and ate the crabcake with with lump crabmeat. They also have the ones made with backfin crabmeat which are not as sweet and lucious. In order for a crabcake to be outstanding, it should be made with lump crabmeat with a mere smidgeon of cracker crumbs and just enough mayo to hold it together. My son declares that mine are second best to Faidley's!
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/15 16:00:45 (permalink)
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by meowzart

I haven't tried Faidley's, but I do love Angelina's crab cakes up in Parkville. They used to win awards...not sure if they have lately, though.

Meowzart

I've never been to Faidley's, either, but if any of you are ever in Calvert County (in southern Maryland), you've got to try Stoney's Seafood Restaurant. There are two of them (in Broomes Island and Solomons Island), and their crabcakes are as good as I have had anywhere. They also have very good steamed crabs, tremendous appetizers of steamed oysters on the half shell topped with crab imperial and mushroom caps stuffed with crab imperial, and a delicious key lime pie for dessert. I also agree that ordering crabcakes anywhere outside of the bay area is asking for disappointment. I once made the mistake of ordering them at a restaurant in Ohio and got a couple of heavily breaded cakes that tasted like something that you'd find in the frozen foods section of your local supermarket (which may be where they got them!).
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/15 20:12:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

John,

Amen!!!

Amen!!! Amen!!!
    suzym13
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/16 12:52:29 (permalink)
    My favorite crabcake ever is at Duchess Daughter in Frederick, MD.
    Good second runner up is at Koko's in Baltimore, either on Belair or Harford Rd.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/16 15:46:01 (permalink)
    Can anyone tell me how to make crab cakes(chezkatie)? I've never been real fond of them. The only one's I tried years ago were loaded with sage. TOO STRONG. My Mom has been purchasing some from HSN, yes Home Shopping Network that she said are delicious! Well, I went by and she fried me one, it was pretty darn tasty had had a good amount of crab. She kept going on about how expensive they were so I didn't ask for another. I've asked her to get me the brand name to see if any of you have heard of them. I would like to try to make them myself though.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/16 20:28:25 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    What a great excuse for me to get in a plug for my favorite all-purpose seasoning, Old Bay, straight from lovely Baltimore. It tastes wonderful on omelettes. Bear in mind, though... a little goes a long way.
    Eggceptionally, Ort. Carlton in Crabless (Except For A Couple Of Sourpusses) Athens, Georgia.
    Rusty246
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 08:54:35 (permalink)
    Mom tells me the crab cakes she purchases are from QVC, NOT HSN and they are on the QVC website. The brand is Chesapeake Bay Gourmet. Anyone ever had these?
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 09:08:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

Can anyone tell me how to make crab cakes(chezkatie)? I've never been real fond of them. The only one's I tried years ago were loaded with sage. TOO STRONG. My Mom has been purchasing some from HSN, yes Home Shopping Network that she said are delicious! Well, I went by and she fried me one, it was pretty darn tasty had had a good amount of crab. She kept going on about how expensive they were so I didn't ask for another. I've asked her to get me the brand name to see if any of you have heard of them. I would like to try to make them myself though.

Rusty,
    Here is the recipe I use. It makes truely wonder cakes. Before I found this recipe my crab cakes were athing of shame!But now they disappear faster than I can put them on a plate.

Crab Cakes
    1 egg beaten 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup mayo 1/2 tsp grnd blk pepper
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 TBSP parsely flakes 6 finely crumbled saltine crackers
    1Tsp Old Bay Seasoning
    1 pound crabmeat (backfin preferred)

Pick through crab meat to remove any shell, mix igrediants lightly using hands. (I mix everthing but the crab & crumbs together first to make sure it's well blended) Make into cakes about 2 - 3 inches accross, don't make them too big, they will be harder to handle & don't compress too tightly. Now is the most important step, put the uncooked plastic wrapped cakes on a plate in the fridge for several hours, the chilling will help to hold them together. Brown cakes in fry pan about 4 minutes per side. What you fry them in is your choice. One school uses butter and the other school uses crisco (I use butter flavored crisco!)
    Rusty246
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 10:47:40 (permalink)
    Pardon my ignorance, but where the recipe calls for Old Bay....crackers is a mistake right? Just checking. I know what Old Bay is though! Also, I saw on one recipe where they suggest dusting the final product with flour to help hold mixture together. What do you think about that? I'm not go to tamper with your recipe by all means I'd just like your opinion. I can't wait to try these, and, with a big ballgame on this weekend and company coming sounds like an excellent time! Oh wait, do I dare try a new recipe on compnay??? What the hey, it's family. Thanks a bunch!
    Rusty246
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 10:53:37 (permalink)
    What an idiot.
    Nevermind the question regarding Old Bay, it's been quite the a.m. here. However, do you wrap the cakes individually, or cover all?
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 11:30:15 (permalink)
    quote:

Sorry that I did not answer sooner on the recipe. (We are preparing to evacuate) My recipe is basically the same as the one that ocdreamer posted except I use jumbo lumb crap and only 1/4 cup mayo and 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning......I use no salt or pepper. When my daughter in law makes it, she omits the Old Bay (sorry, Marylander's) and put in 1 tsp of worchestire sauce instead. It is great either way. The important part is to chill them and you do not have to wrap individually. Slide them into the fat very carefully as they can fall apart.......also the proper ones are more ball than patty shaped! (maybe because they hold together better shaped that way.)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 11:39:10 (permalink)
    Another take on any crabcake: (up here we use king crab, in New England, Jonah crab) after forming the cakes, lightly dredge in panko and then fry. Provides a delicate, crispy coat for all that luscious crabmeat.
    Rusty246
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 11:59:26 (permalink)
    "Panko" I remember another poster mention that product quite awhile back. Would I find it on the asian isle? Thanks, and I'll drop the crab cake subject!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 12:03:50 (permalink)
    Rusty,
    Panko is Japanese bread crumbs, they're shredded, not ground like the conventional style crumbs which gives them more texture, more crunch, less oil retention. And yes, you'll probably find them in the Asian isle of your groceria.
    ocdreamr
    RE: Baltimore Crab Cakes 2003/09/17 12:49:59 (permalink)
    quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but where the recipe calls for Old Bay....crackers is a mistake right? Just checking. I know what Old Bay is though! Also, I saw on one recipe where they suggest dusting the final product with flour to help hold mixture together. What do you think about that? I'm not go to tamper with your recipe by all means I'd just like your opinion. I can't wait to try these, and, with a big ballgame on this weekend and company coming sounds like an excellent time! Oh wait, do I dare try a new recipe on compnay??? What the hey, it's family. Thanks a bunch!

Yes it was saltine crackers & Old Bay seasoning, when I typed it, it was in two columns but it shows up here running together! I've never coated my cakes with anything but you will find them coated on The Eastern Shore, it's one of the differences between shore cakes & Baltimore cakes. As to Chezkatie's suggestion to make them in the shape of a ball. Well, my family has been in Maryland since the 1600's and we have never made them as balls, that is actually a fairly rescent thing. The only way you can cook balls easily is by deep frying or broiling, turning over a ball just doesn't work well. Little Balls for appetizers are a different thing.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1