Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
  • Roadfood Insider
Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Wed, 08/8/07 9:43 PM (permalink)
I had a great fun packed and busy weekend in Baltimore and DC this past weekend. The Washington Nationals were in town and I wanted a chance to see them before they moved into their brand new ballpark this year.

I flew into BWI Saturday Morning and met up with the Travelin' Man We decided to do lunch at The Seaside Restaurant in Glen Burnie MD and we were anticipating the Blue Crabs which the Sterns have praised in the most recent Roadfood book. We were dissapointed to find out that The Seaside doesn't start serving Blue Crabs until 4pm which guarantees their freshness. That meant I had to settle for the lunch sized portion of Crab Imperial. But I'll settle for that anyday. I started off with the Maryland Crab Soup which was a thick and zesty red broth chockfull of crab meat. The crab imperial was absolutely delicious laced with pimentos and a rich imperial sauce that did not detract from the flavor of the luscious crab meat. The Travelin' Man had the "Soup du Jour" which was Crab Gumbo Soup and the Skipper Joe's Seafood Pasta.

After lunch we took the Metro into DC- it was aHOT and humid 97 degrees. We checked out the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, The World War II and Vietnam Memorials and the White House Museum. We then took the Metro to Dupont Circle and walked around there a bit. The Travelin Man said he could really use some ice cream and we came across Larry's Ice Cream. Apparently "Larry" is known as the "Scoop Nazi" his counterhelp's notoriety of brusque and rude service contributes to his reputation. The counterhelp was kind of tame and with flavors like "Fred and Ginger" who can't resist the temptation of this ice cream parlour. I had a cup of the Cinamon Cookie Dough Ice Cream. It was delish.

We took a cab over to Ben's Chili Bowl. We were meeting up with The Travelin Man's friend who was going to join us for dinner and for the DC Nationals Baseball Game too

Ben's Chili Bowl is located in a neighborhood that still hasn't quite completed a revitilization. When we first arrived there was a long line but it moved quickly, once "Nate" arrived we placed our orders at the counter. I was dissapointed to find out that they did not have Sweet Potato Pie, so I compensated by ordering two Half Smokes with the works (chili-onions-mustard) The half smokes are basically hot dogs on steroids. They're a little thicker and pack a stronger punch but were not overwhelmingly spicy. I thought the chili was going to be "sweet" but it was actually rather mild. The three of us shared an order of fries. It was nothing special.

After dinner, we took the Metro to RFK Stadium. At the game, The Travelin' Man had a corned beef Sandwich from Baltimore's own Attman's Delicatessen which has a stand at the Park. The Nationals were playing St Louis that evening and to our surprise it was no contest. To the surprise of many visiting Cardinals fans, the Nationals basically wiped the floor with the Cardinals. When we left after the middle of the 8th inning the score was an embarrassing 12-1 Nationals. Hard to believe the this team won the World Series less than 2 years ago!

The next morning we drove to Baltimore and had a light Breakfast at the Daily Grind, a coffee house in the Fells Point Section of Baltimore. After breakfast we walked around the old cobblstoned, nautical neighborhood checking out the sites and stores as well as the Fells Point Maritime Museum.

For lunch we went to Chap's Pit Beef. Baltimore's version of the Roast Beef Sandwich. Pit Beef is actually not roasted, but is marinated on the grill. It is served on a kaiser roll or rye bread and condiments include Mayo, BBQ Sauce, Onions, Horseradish or Mustard. I forgot to order mine medium rare, so the meat, albeit good, was a little tough. The Fresh Cut fries loaded with old bay and dipped in cider vinegar is some of the best around.

After lunch we drove down to Annapolis and met up with LastStandChili at the Rams Head Tavern, a brewpub in Annapolis. After knocking down a couple of "Fruity" Summer Wheat Beers, we strolled around the Art Festival that was being held that weekend and headed towards Main Street. LastStandChili recommended Storm Brothers Ice Cream on Dock Street www.stormbros.com After waiting in the long line which moved fairly quickly, I decided on a cup of rum raisin. Another excellent choice.

The Travelin Man and I then headed back down to Baltimore and G & M Restaurant near the Airport. There we met up with Signman Because of the long wait for a table and the fact that The Travelin' Man and I had planes to catch, we decided to eat in the Lounge. We oogled an order of onion rings that went by and agreed unanimously that we would would share an order. Now these are onion rings- crispy-taugh n tasty.

I ordered the Crabcake Dinner. you have a choice of one crabcake or two. The Travelin Man and I ordered two each, Signman ordered one. I've heard rumors that the crabcakes have gotten smaller and/or have declined in quality- NOT TRUE!! They are better than ever. These cakes are JUMBO LUMP CRAB with little binder and I still say they definetely blow FAIDLEY'S away. I could only finish one. The waitress was kind enough to give us a gel-pack and a takeout container both of which managed to slip right through airport security on the way back home. The leftover crabcake tasted just as good after heating it up in the oven at home the next day per the instructions provided by G & M.

I finally arrived home at 3AM Monday Morning 3 hours later than expected. An exhausting, but fun Roadfood trip.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Wed, 08/8/07 11:20 PM (permalink)
    I have to admit, I've never heard of the Seaside in Glen Burnie, but that is one fine looking bowl of crab soup.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
      RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Thu, 08/9/07 8:16 AM (permalink)

Your baseball/food reports have been great reading. This one may be one of your best. Being from S.F., I really enjoyed that, but this one is among your top reports.
      The soup, pit beef sandwich, and especially the crab cake are excellent. I have been cooking for many, many years, but it wasn't until I went to Baltimore that I learned how they really should be made. Your photo of shows why. There is no filler in that cake.

mark

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Thu, 08/9/07 9:50 AM (permalink)
        Great report and photos Dale, thanks for them!

buffetbuster

RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/10/07 1:12 PM (permalink)
          WJ-
          Another excellent report! If I didn't already have plans to be in Detroit and see the Tigers, I would have loved to have been there with you guys. And I agree that G & M is as good as ever.

You didn't say too much about RFK stadium. I haven't been there....what did you think?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/10/07 1:32 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by buffetbuster

WJ-
            Another excellent report! If I didn't already have plans to be in Detroit and see the Tigers, I would have loved to have been there with you guys. And I agree that G & M is as good as ever.

You didn't say too much about RFK stadium. I haven't been there....what did you think?

Buffetbuster,

Seems like they "tried" to make RFK a baseball only park , however I'm really looking forward to the new ballpark which is supposed to open up next year. I didn't eat anything at RFJ, but The Travelin' Man liked the corned beef sandwich from Attman's which was probably the only decent thing they had besides the Lienenkugel Wheat Beer (from Wisconsin, no less)

Hope we're still on for meeting up the Tuesday after labor day in Pittsburgh

buffetbuster

RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/10/07 1:41 PM (permalink)
              WJ-
              Absolutely! You know the city...just let me know where and when.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/10/07 6:22 PM (permalink)
                quote:

WJ-
                Absolutely! You know the city...just let me know where and when.

Cool! I'll touch base with you when I'm "on the road"

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                  RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/10/07 6:29 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

WJ-

Buffetbuster,

Seems like they "tried" to make RFK a baseball only park , however I'm really looking forward to the new ballpark which is supposed to open up next year. I didn't eat anything at RFJ, but The Travelin' Man liked the corned beef sandwich from Attman's which was probably the only decent thing they had besides the Lienenkugel Wheat Beer (from Wisconsin, no less)

Hope we're still on for meeting up the Tuesday after labor day in Pittsburgh

they currently use the stadium for the DC United games as well. Originally the stadium was built to house baseball and football, so it was always intended as a multi-sport complex.
                  I'm glad a new stadium is being built, I just wish it was being built in the same area as RFK, instead of SW Washington, since I live near the current stadium.

although, I may be moving back to NY, so, it could be a moot point for me anyways. But if I don't move, I'm going to hate seeing the games not played in my neighborhood.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                    RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Sat, 08/11/07 11:40 AM (permalink)
                    RFK was the first of the intentionally multi-pupose stadiums when it was built in 1962. it isn't anything special as a ballparks but it is a major league facility and more than adequate as a temporary home for big-league baseball.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                      RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Mon, 08/13/07 8:58 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by mr chips

RFK was the first of the intentionally multi-pupose stadiums when it was built in 1962. it isn't anything special as a ballparks but it is a major league facility and more than adequate as a temporary home for big-league baseball.

RFK remains the greatest venue I've ever experienced when it comes to NFL football. About 15 years ago I watched a game there between the Redskins and the Giants. The atmosphere there was unrivaled. The new Fed Ex field is sterile in comparison.

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
                        RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Mon, 08/13/07 9:29 AM (permalink)
                        Thanks WJ. That looks like you had a great time. And I can see why you had to have an order of those onion rings. They look fantastic!

John

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                          RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Mon, 08/13/07 10:12 AM (permalink)
                          These were the most greaseless onion rings I've ever had, and they were a bargain, too, around $4.

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
                            RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/17/07 9:29 AM (permalink)
                            OK, completely off topic - what's up with the bear outside Ben's?

On topic - all of it looks delish! Especially those crabcakes!

Cathy

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
                              RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/17/07 9:46 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Williamsburger

Cathy
                              It was a project where a bunch of panda sculptures went up around DC. kind of like the pig project in Cincinnatti and the Blue Fish thing in Baltimore.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.pandamaniadc.org/

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
                                RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/17/07 10:28 AM (permalink)

Cathy

KOK

RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/17/07 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

Cathy
                                  It was a project where a bunch of panda sculptures went up around DC. kind of like the pig project in Cincinnatti and the Blue Fish thing in Baltimore.

Thanks,

Kevin

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                    RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Fri, 08/17/07 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by KOK

quote:

Cathy

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,
                                    Summer of '05, Baltimore's was actually the Blue Crab. Here are some shots of some of them. http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/446591390wDkowv

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                      RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Mon, 08/20/07 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                      Hello all ,

Excellent trip report .
                                      You really know how to find these interesting roadfood locations

Benzee

KOK

RE: Baltimore-DC Weekend & Baseball August 07 Mon, 08/20/07 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Beer&Snausages
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by KOK
                                        quote:

Cathy

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,
                                        Summer of '05, Baltimore's was actually the Blue Crab. Here are some shots of some of them. http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/446591390wDkowv
                                        I forgot about the blue crabs. I guess the blue fish were several more years ago. I rememebr there was one fish in the Inner Harbor with a hollowed out middle that had a bunch of tiny fish at little desks with a teacher fish at the front. It was a 'School of Fish'

Kevin

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com