Baltimore/DC again Part 2

Author
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
2009/03/25 19:08:40 (permalink)

Baltimore/DC again Part 2

My brother has business in Baltimore (3-13 to 3-16) and I tagged along for a long weekend.
We got a very good deal on hotels thru priceline right beside Oriole Park at Camden Yards and in downtown DC. Friday while he was at the Coast Guard Office I went to the ESPN Zone to watch some ACC hoops.

That evening we did some bar-hopping at the Inner Harbor and Fells Point. Fells Point is a great area for walking from pub to pub and has some nice looking restaurants. Last year I ate at One-Eyed Mikes. We went by and the bar was so crowded we moved on.

We ended up at a couple of bars but this was our favorite....The Cat's Eye.

Later we walked toward the water and ended  up at Shuckers for dinner because the bar was fun and they had plenty of TVs showing the conference tournament games. Our server was great and the drinks were good. We really enjoyed Shuckers.

We started with some oysters rockafeller. They were good but not great.

The dinners on the other hand were outstanding. I had the crab stuffed shrimp. I was more of a shrimp covered in crab dip. It was delicious.

My brother had blackened tuna topped with crab meat. It was excellent also.

Saturday morning before leaving for DC I told him we had to have brunch/lunch at Lexington Market. I love this place.

My brother is a fishing addict and loved looking at all the seafood displys.

We ended up at Faidley's. All the pictures were from Faidley's but you can get just about anything to eat (cooked or not) at Lexington Market. It's a very cool place. Some people are a little leary of the neighborhood but I've never had any problems.

We started off with some oysters. They were large, cold, salty and tasty.

Actually while I was getting these my brother ordered the other food and started eating his fish sandwich before I could get a picture. I got the crabcake which was as delicious as I remembered.

Later after walking around some we went back to Faidley's. We kept seeing steakfish. Since neither of us had ever heard about a steakfish we had to try one. Google later taught me that steakfish is white hake. Either way it was delicious. Very white meat and cooked perfectly.

After Lexington Market we set off for Saturday night in DC. Monuments, Museums and Meat coming.....

Right now my Carolina Hurricanes are getting ready to play so I'll finish later..

GO CANES!

post edited by mikeam - 2009/04/27 12:27:50

11 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 19:33:44 (permalink)
    Ohhhhh, lovely lovely fish.  So were the crab-topped things good?  I sometimes think the crab is a distraction from something that's not so fresh.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 21:00:29 (permalink)
    Fantastic pics! And a great report.  I need to get down that way soon and the Fells Point area looks like a good place to be!
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 21:04:15 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Ohhhhh, lovely lovely fish.  So were the crab-topped things good?  I sometimes think the crab is a distraction from something that's not so fresh.

Yes the crab topped tuna was very good. It was a basil sauce (hence the green) and was delicious.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7679
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 21:28:37 (permalink)
    If you think the crabcakes at Faidley's are good, then you need to check out G & M's. They're even better.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 21:40:46 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

If you think the crabcakes at Faidley's are good, then you need to check out G & M's. They're even better.

I have heard about G & M's just haven't had the chance to get there. If it's better than Faidley's I want to go.

FYI the Carolina Hurricanes beat Ottawa to night 2-1. GO CANES!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 22:16:02 (permalink)
    Great pictures, especially those of the steakfish sandwich.  Looks like a great time.

Not sure which ACC team you follow, but I can only hope that you are a Heels fan (State would be OK; Duke, well, Roadfood covers a multitude of differences).  Of course it could be any of the other teams.

Thanks for the nice report.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 22:24:48 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel

Great pictures, especially those of the steakfish sandwich.  Looks like a great time.

Not sure which ACC team you follow, but I can only hope that you are a Heels fan (State would be OK; Duke, well, Roadfood covers a multitude of differences).  Of course it could be any of the other teams.

Thanks for the nice report.

GO WOLFPACK!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Baltimore/DC again 2009/03/25 22:40:23 (permalink)

Thanks, Mike.  I think I got a bit off track from the food by talking about the ACC.  The food pictures are still very good.

mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Baltimore/DC again Part 2 2009/04/27 12:26:44 (permalink)
    After Lexington Market we took off for DC. The weather was kinda dreary but we were able to get in some sight seeing. We went up in the post office tower for some good views of DC

Went to Ford's Theater to see where Lincoln was shot and then spent a little time in a way too crowded Museum of American History.

After fighting the crowds in the museum we were ready for beers and to watch a little basketball. The DC ESPNZone was a madhouse. We ended up going across the street to Harry's. This turned out to be a great decision. While still crowded we were able to get seats at the bar, the service was excellent, the beers were cold and the wings were delicious.

That evening we took a cab to Georgetown and ate dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in the area, Old Glory BBQ. I had the combo of ribs and brisquet. The ribs and the sides were delicious. The brisquet was a little dry and just not that good. The cornbread was probably the best thing of the entire dinner (sorry no pictures).

After dinner I led my brother around a drizzly Georgetown looking for the Exorcist steps. We finally found them.

Sunday morning we had a little time to kill before heading back to Raleigh so we went to the Smithsonian Native American Museum. A really cool looking museum outside. Interesting inside but not one of my Smithsonian favorites.

What was really cool was their cafeteria/food court specializing in native american foods. Each station represented a food group from a different area of the country. Much better than the other museum food offerings.

I had the buffalo sirloin with a purple potato salad and a mushroom dish. This was not a cheap lunch (about $20) but it was very good. I will go back here again.

After lunch we headed back to Raleigh. I am already thinking about a summer baseball trip back up to Baltimore/DC. It's a great area to visit.

post edited by mikeam - 2009/04/27 15:08:36
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    Re:Baltimore/DC again Part 2 2009/04/27 13:34:01 (permalink)
    great trip report.

I'm glad you found Harry's. I've mentioned that place a couple times on this site. The menu is short, and not everything is great, but the burgers and wings are quite good...and for me to give them a nod on the wings is a big deal - I don't do that often. It does get some tourists who are unable to get into ESPN Zone, but it's also a local hangout. Happy Hours are filled with an assortment of downtown workers and the evening are filled with DC residents - or workers from K Street late, who worked a little later into the night.

The brother of Harry opened a restaurant/bar on Cap Hill called Marty's. Unfortunately, it recently closed. They, too, had good wings and burgers. But, Harry's gets more foot traffic. And Cap Hill already had and array of local hangouts - with better menus. Downtown, however, there's really only a couple local hangouts. Harry's is one of them.

As per Old Glory, another place I've mentioned numerous times, I agree the brisket is not the #1 item. However, they do a great job with Eastern NC style and Lexington (NC) style pulled pork. I'm sure, living in Raliegh, you get your fill of both these styles, but this is where Old Glory shines.

For Texas style BBQ, next time, go to Capital Q on H St. Or, for a BBQ flavor that is unique to DC, head to Rocklands on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park. They use wood (hickory and red oak) and their original sauce, while strong on onion, is a really nice compliment to the wood smoked meat. 

For me, the museum aspect of the National Museum of the American Indian was a downer. It focused on maybe three major tribes, but practically ignored some other highly important tribes. But, their cafe is really the hidden gem. While the prices are a bit steep (which is true for ALL Smithsonian museum eateries), the food at this museum is among the best and most unique of the museums.

Finally, your pic of The Exorcist stairs is fantastic. The best I've seen. The rain really helped set the dark and creepy feel, as seen in the movie. The stairs are tough to find from the top, as the opening is very thin. But from M Street, it's real easy. The only problem with finding the stairs at M Street, is that you'd be at the bottom of the stairs.

Really nice reporting. You've put a bug in my shorts to head up to Baltimore real soon. When my friend lived in Fells Point, we went all the time. Now that she moved to Bethesda, we hardly ever get up there. But, it's back on my "to do list," thanks to your report.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Baltimore/DC again Part 2 2009/04/27 15:06:44 (permalink)
    Scorereader

great trip report.

I'm glad you found Harry's. I've mentioned that place a couple times on this site. The menu is short, and not everything is great, but the burgers and wings are quite good...and for me to give them a nod on the wings is a big deal - I don't do that often. It does get some tourists who are unable to get into ESPN Zone, but it's also a local hangout. Happy Hours are filled with an assortment of downtown workers and the evening are filled with DC residents - or workers from K Street late, who worked a little later into the night.

The brother of Harry opened a restaurant/bar on Cap Hill called Marty's. Unfortunately, it recently closed. They, too, had good wings and burgers. But, Harry's gets more foot traffic. And Cap Hill already had and array of local hangouts - with better menus. Downtown, however, there's really only a couple local hangouts. Harry's is one of them.

As per Old Glory, another place I've mentioned numerous times, I agree the brisket is not the #1 item. However, they do a great job with Eastern NC style and Lexington (NC) style pulled pork. I'm sure, living in Raliegh, you get your fill of both these styles, but this is where Old Glory shines.

For Texas style BBQ, next time, go to Capital Q on H St. Or, for a BBQ flavor that is unique to DC, head to Rocklands on Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park. They use wood (hickory and red oak) and their original sauce, while strong on onion, is a really nice compliment to the wood smoked meat. 

For me, the museum aspect of the National Museum of the American Indian was a downer. It focused on maybe three major tribes, but practically ignored some other highly important tribes. But, their cafe is really the hidden gem. While the prices are a bit steep (which is true for ALL Smithsonian museum eateries), the food at this museum is among the best and most unique of the museums.

Finally, your pic of The Exorcist stairs is fantastic. The best I've seen. The rain really helped set the dark and creepy feel, as seen in the movie. The stairs are tough to find from the top, as the opening is very thin. But from M Street, it's real easy. The only problem with finding the stairs at M Street, is that you'd be at the bottom of the stairs.

Really nice reporting. You've put a bug in my shorts to head up to Baltimore real soon. When my friend lived in Fells Point, we went all the time. Now that she moved to Bethesda, we hardly ever get up there. But, it's back on my "to do list," thanks to your report.

I have been to Harry's a couple of times and have always enjoyed it. I will definitely try Capital Q on my next visit.

I agree with you on the National Museum of the American Indian. I was also disappointed. I did really enjoy the cafe and look forward to going back.

post edited by mikeam - 2009/04/27 15:10:49
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1