Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca

Author
Jodyd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2007/08/07 22:11:42 (permalink)

Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca

Banana Dreams, the yellow cream filled brown colored cupcakes that used the same sort of cakes now used for when you make strawberry shortcakes. These were available in the 1970's and early 80's when I was a kid growing up in Northern California. I fondly remember eating many of these. I thought they were from Hostess or Dolly Madison, but later found something about Langendorf Bakery. I guess I sort of remember that name. The outer cake was brown in color and had a taste of like a spice cake from what I remember. I am surprised that I can't find anything on these as most nostalgic snacks, ect., can be found on the internet, at least pictures or something. Does anyone also remember that HOSTESS uses to make an official Dutch Chocolate Pie? I know that Albertson's now makes them, as well as a few other stores, but they are NOTHING like the one's Hostess used to make.

17 Replies Related Threads

Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2007/08/15 20:48:19 (permalink)
    These things sound pretty good, from what people have been saying about them. By "strawberry Shortcakes", do you mean those hollow cake "cups" Hostess and others make for filling with strawberries and whipped cream?

Langendorf was the American Bakeries operation over there. So that would have been Mickey Cakes. Others have mentioned these, and I think that's what they were. You did not really see Mickey Cakes in NY back then. I first noticed the brand down south, and then I began seeing them in the Taystee thrift stores in NY. But this was mid to late 80's already, so if this Banana Dream had been there, I missed it. They were replaced by the "flips" already. The rest of Mickey's stuff seemd to parallel Hostess, Dolly Madison and Flowers. If they had something as unique as this Banana Dream, I don't know why they would discontinue that and keep the other stuff.
    Jodyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2007/08/16 20:24:20 (permalink)
    Hi Eric, I've seen/heard the "Mickey Cakes" reference before. Yes, by
    "Strawberry Shortcakes" I did mean the hollow cake cups used for filling with strawberries and cream. The shapes were EXACTLY the same, only the ones for the Banana Dream were a deep brown, and they
    cake had a nice sort of spice taste. The cream was outstanding. I wish Hostess would bring back their original Dutch Chocolate Pies. Those too were outstanding!

quote:
    Originally posted by Eric B

These things sound pretty good, from what people have been saying about them. By "strawberry Shortcakes", do you mean those hollow cake "cups" Hostess and others make for filling with strawberries and whipped cream?

Langendorf was the American Bakeries operation over there. So that would have been Mickey Cakes. Others have mentioned these, and I think that's what they were. You did not really see Mickey Cakes in NY back then. I first noticed the brand down south, and then I began seeing them in the Taystee thrift stores in NY. But this was mid to late 80's already, so if this Banana Dream had been there, I missed it. They were replaced by the "flips" already. The rest of Mickey's stuff seemd to parallel Hostess, Dolly Madison and Flowers. If they had something as unique as this Banana Dream, I don't know why they would discontinue that and keep the other stuff.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2007/08/21 22:40:58 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's right, I remember someone saying they were spice cakes. Forgot about that part. So they would have been darker brown.

What was the banana filling like? The same as the present banana flip filling? Or was that better back then, perhaps with real banana or something? And how was this packaged? Two in a pack? Or one in a pack? Those sound like they would be kind of big for one serving, from the size of the cake cups I have seen.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/07/24 19:31:39 (permalink)
    Just saw this yesterday, and it reminded me of what these Banana Dreams you all are describing must have looked like:
    http://entenmanns.gwbakeries.com/product.cfm/upc/7203001893
    (This was the carrot cake with that cheese type creme that usually accompanies carrot cake, and there's also golden cake with vanilla creme). Inside the box , you have one in a regular plastic wrap. So
    I was wondering how the Banana Dreams would be two in a pack, with the creme exposed on top like that, but these seem to hold up pretty well. (Even with the swirl shape the creme takes).

All they would have to do is change the cake to spice, and the creme to banana, and they would apparently be identical to the Banana Dreams!
    Except for being so tiny. But then these are apart of the "Little Bites" line of mini snacks. These are usually smaller versions of regular sized snacks, but there doesn't seem to be a full sized version of these. But then they're new, so who knows.

But we can write ansd ask them to come out with banana& spice versions, and in full size!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/07/24 20:32:22 (permalink)
    Nobody with living tastebuds uses those little round indented grocery store cakes to make strawberry shortcake anymore - they went out with the Nixon administration. Make your own shortcake or buy a really dense poundcake or shortcakes wether they be strawberry or peach or gooseberry or whatever.

Cheers, John
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/07/26 14:45:17 (permalink)
    Well, we don't want the cake cups for strawberry shortcake; want them for new banana dreams! (but then they're supposed to be spice).
    Jodyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/07/26 15:58:45 (permalink)
    Hey, using the store bought cups for Strawberry Shortcake isn't bad at all, they are actually pretty good and I like them. But the discussion here isn't on those, but rather Banana Dreams of the 70's and early 80's. I'm sure many would like to see these come back, just like I'm hoping Dorito's get their act together and bring the Taco flavored chips back to ALL states, versus selective southern States. You can purchase the Taco Flavor/Ranch in their packaged "Collision" variety. What's that about??? It would be fine if I liked Ranch, but I don't. :( If they sell Taco/Ranch as a Collision package, and they sell Ranch by themself, WHY would they NOT sell Taco Flavor by themselves????? These Taco Flavor were well known in the 60's, 70,s and 80,s, and were known well before Nacho Cheese flavor EVER came to market. But back to Banana Dream by Langendorf bakery. Why can't I find a trace of their packaging when searching the net. It's like the product never existed...but I know very well it did.

Jodyd
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/07/26 21:32:06 (permalink)
    You should ask Langendorf-Barbara Ann, who was describing them to me in the The Snack Cake Heirarchy thread. She said her father kept a bunch of old labels and other stuff from Langendorf from when he worked for them.
    But the two posts she made in that thread are her only ones, and this was two years ago, so she may not be active anymore.

What do you think about the Entenmann's product I linked to? How would you like it if they made a banana creme/spice cup version of those?
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2008/08/10 23:06:10 (permalink)
    All this talk about the original Banana Dreams (using spice cake); I forgot all about Hostess' Apple Spice cakes!, now THOSE were good! As late as early last year, when I would go to another state like Massachusetts, they would still have them!
    So I guess replacing the vanilla creme with banaw would then be something like the banana dream?
    Jodyd
    Junior Burger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2010/10/26 18:57:38 (permalink)
    Eric and All,... It's been a while since I've been on this site, however I have NOT forgotten  about Banana Dreams. Check out the following below:

We ALL rememeber how absolutely wonderful the Banana Dreams of the 70's thru mid 80's were as we grew up in and around the San Francisco Bay Area. We ALL know that they were discontinued somewhere about the mid 1980's when Langendorf closed their doors. We will probably never see the actual Banana Dreams back again, however I found a delicious Banana flavored, cream filled cupcake that taste very close to that wonderful taste that we ALL enjoyed as kids back in yesteryear! The cupcakes I've found are Mrs. Freshley's. They are 6 Banana Pudding Cakes in a box. Natural Banana Flavored Creme-Filled Cupcakss. I found these in my local Walmart here in the State of Colorado. Try these and let me know. I think you will be impressed. Send me a personal email at if you'd like to send me a personal note on your thoughts about these delicious treats!

Eric B

All this talk about the original Banana Dreams (using spice cake); I forgot all about Hostess' Apple Spice cakes!, now THOSE were good! As late as early last year, when I would go to another state like Massachusetts, they would still have them!
    So I guess replacing the vanilla creme with banaw would then be something like the banana dream?

Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/01/24 18:59:42 (permalink)
    Oh wow; you mean these:

http://www.mrsfreshleys.com/mrs_about/News/release.cfm?ReleaseID=29

I didn't know anything about them! This is Flowers' third party distribution label. We get some of that here in NY, but not the whole line like that. 

I'll have to check when I go to VA, hopefully, later this year. I have a friend who is the manager of the Flowers thrift stores, and I always stop by. The first party label is Blue Bird, and I see from the Flowers/Bluebird site, they carry them as well. (They've also added stuff like a red velvet cake). Surprised, and they used to be mostly just copies of the standard Hostess stuff.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/01/24 19:22:45 (permalink)
    Little Debbie has some similar cakes and you may find them of interest.  Personally I have tried them and both shown here were pretty good but nothing like the old banana flip.
    http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/24/oprahs-big-announcement/?hpt=C2

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/24/oprahs-big-announcement/?hpt=C2

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/01/31 23:44:59 (permalink)
    The only banana thing I saw on Little Debbie shelves this past week was the banana twins, which go back to the beginning. But yes, those are good. Is that what the banana in the Dreams tasted like? (IIRC, it is similar in taste to the current flips).

Now, on the way to looking at the Little Debbies; what I did find, (and get), which I had never seen before, but used to imagine:

http://www.hostesscakes.com/Strawberry-CupCake.asp

Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/02/15 18:38:48 (permalink)
    OK; now I have found the Little Debbie Banana Pudding Rolls. It's basically a banana flavored version of the Boston Creme cakes.

Pretty good! (As I already loved the Boston Cremes, yet they seem to have stopped selling them individually). 
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/04/11 19:53:47 (permalink)
    And now, they've added blueberry creme rolls!
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/06/01 14:57:33 (permalink)
    The Hostess strawberry cupcakes have finally come out in the individual twin pack. Was wondering if they ever would. On Thursdays, when the stand is newly stocked, I would see the pink of the Sno-Balls and for an instant think it was the cupcakes. But now they really are out.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Banana Dreams not flips... like strawberry shortca 2011/10/18 21:34:30 (permalink)
    Went to Virginia last month and finally got to try both Mrs. Freshley's Banana Cupcakes, and the Red Velvet cakes shaped like Twinkies. (Walmart only had them in the boxes, so I took both home and finishedthen in a few days). Both were good, but especially the banana.

So this is really what the old Dreams tasted like? (though they couldn't completely, because the Dreams were spice cake, and this was regular yellow cake).

Also, I found this page, with an old ad for Langendorf Mickey cakes. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1948&dat=19840613&id=wSkuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2tQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3834,1049740
    However, it only advertises the Cupcakes, Choco's, and Creme Boats 
    '84, the Dreams should have still been around from the dates others are giving, though perhaps this is right after they discontinued them? (I began seeing the "Flip" version around '85-6).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1