Banana Snack

Author
Matchstick Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
2003/04/21 18:47:41 (permalink)

Banana Snack

One evening, I was in the mood for a snack, but couldn't really figure out what it was that I wanted. Well, I had a few bananas, started digging around in the fridge and the cupboard. What I ended up with was:

Slice a banana into disks
Put a glob of peanut butter in a bowl
Grab the squeeze bottle of chocolate syrup

I take a spoon and get a little dab of peanut butter on it, put a disk of banana on it, then pour some chocolate syrup on top. Eat!

Next thing I knew, I had eaten 4 (count 'em folks - FOUR) bananas in about 1/2 hour....

OBTW, does anyone else here put a tablespoon of peanut butter on their bowl of ice cream? For me, that little bit does last the whole bowl...I just wish someone would come up with peanut butter ice cream syrup.

18 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/04/21 18:55:08 (permalink)
    They have a great hot peanut butter topping at TCBY's which I suspect is nothing more than melted peanut butter. Haven't tried it at home yet, but I did try a combo of caramel sauce mixed with Peanut butter, which led me to start testing a peanutbutter/caramel fudge recipe. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/04/22 07:49:54 (permalink)
    I love peanut butter on banana's, but I have never tried the putting them in a bowl with peanut butter and chocolate syrup ! Sounds interesting, I might just have to give it a try. I love peanut butter, often just straight out of the jar with a spoon.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/04/30 23:55:47 (permalink)
    When I was little my mom would slice bananas into a bowl, cover them with brown sugar and pour milk on top. I ate it with a spoon like cereal. I loved it as a kid, but I once tried it for nostalgia and it just wasn't the same.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/05 17:38:27 (permalink)
    Lately I can't get enough of banana chips , dried and sweetened / I suppose i could be dipping them into the peanut butter , or chocolate syrup
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/05 19:47:23 (permalink)
    This is a thread Elvis would have loved!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/05 22:49:14 (permalink)
    EliseT, I grew up on the same thing! The only difference is my mom used white sugar. It was a good way to get me to eat fruit as a kid. I had it not too long ago. And like you, it wasn't quite the same, I guess it was missing the "love" mom put into it...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/05 23:21:11 (permalink)
    Michael; All Y'all,
    Or, as The King would interject about now, "Aw-HAW!!!"
    Nearly About Waist Deep In 45's At Home, The Ever-Spinning Ort.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/13 17:03:28 (permalink)
    Sliced bananas, a little maple syrup on top, a drizzle of coconut cream and some crushed pistacio nuts. Fed to me at a Vietnamese restaurant and I wanted to lick the plate.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/13 17:20:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

When I was little my mom would slice bananas into a bowl, cover them with brown sugar and pour milk on top. I ate it with a spoon like cereal. I loved it as a kid, but I once tried it for nostalgia and it just wasn't the same.

The last time I treated myself to a trip to Reno, I upgraded my room to a spa suite, ran a whirlpool bath and ordered room service, including a bowl of sliced bananas with cream, brown sugar, and walnuts...it was like heaven.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/13 23:33:00 (permalink)
    A Girl Scout camping trip treat was to peel back (but not detach) about a quarter of the banana peel and cut out a v-shaped notch of banana with your trusty penknife. Then fill the notch with a couple of quartered maraschino cherries and as many chocolate chips and mini-marshmallows as you could cram in there. Put the peel back and tie shut with a piece of string, showing those new knots you learned to tie that afternoon. Skewer the banana lengthwise on a peeled stick and toast over the campfire while telling ghost stories until the chips and marshmallows melt and turn into a gooey type of banana split.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/20 20:48:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

A Girl Scout camping trip treat was to peel back (but not detach) about a quarter of the banana peel and cut out a v-shaped notch of banana with your trusty penknife. Then fill the notch with a couple of quartered maraschino cherries and as many chocolate chips and mini-marshmallows as you could cram in there. Put the peel back and tie shut with a piece of string, showing those new knots you learned to tie that afternoon. Skewer the banana lengthwise on a peeled stick and toast over the campfire while telling ghost stories until the chips and marshmallows melt and turn into a gooey type of banana split.

That is a very creative campfire treat and it sounds good also.

This is not related but at the campfire, I would take KFC chicken and put it on a stick and toast it over the fire. Created a very unusual taste. I always added a little hot sauce first.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/27 11:35:45 (permalink)
    Nope. Y'all still don't have it right... Take a banana, cut in four pieces (peel 1st). Top liberally with peanut butter (I like chunky) AND with an equal amount of mayo. Now that's eatin'.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/27 12:18:00 (permalink)
    Interesting combo !!

I have had banana's with mayo and I have had peanut butter with mayo. Soooo, I might just like that combo !! I'll have to give it a try
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Banana Snack 2003/05/27 17:39:27 (permalink)
    There's the combo my dad would eat - & possibly the only meat-free sandwich he enjoyed. Sometimes he had it with pickles, sometime not.
    Cuisinarily,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. My youth banana fave: for regular bananas [especially when they weren't yet really ripe] OR sauteed plaintains [rarely], my aunt would top them with Mexican cream (crema in the old pyramidal boxes!) and a very light sprinkling of sugar. Talk about a potassium rush! (This was the same aunt that showed me to wait until the bananas looked like leopards [well-spotted] before eating them; she was convinced my dad was some sort of barbarian for not waiting - that he may as well have been eating a potato; in his defense, while other kids got banana bread from leftover overripe bananas, my dad [the former soda jerk] would go buy some ice milk {anyone remember THAT?} and would make us banana MALTS!)
    autumneyez04
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Banana Snack 2004/02/19 02:52:36 (permalink)
    Oh wow, I remember when I was younger my grandmother would slice a bananna in a bowl, put a glop of peanutbutter in there and sprinkle lots of sugar on top and then mash it up good with a fork. This was the best tasting pudding treat. Somtimes I'd eat it on bread!
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Banana Snack 2004/02/19 04:17:14 (permalink)
    When bananas are on sale, I usually buy too many. Long ago I learned what to do with over-ripe bananas from a health department nutritionist: make a banana shake with them!

Put two very ripe bananas in a blender, add one half to one teaspoon of vanilla extract, one Tablespoon of sugar and two cups of milk (16 ounces). Blend until smooth.

This is a delicous and refreshing drink that mimics milk shakes without all the sugar, fat, and calories. You can play with the ingredients, adding more sugar or milk.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Banana Snack 2004/02/19 06:24:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Nope. Y'all still don't have it right... Take a banana, cut in four pieces (peel 1st). Top liberally with peanut butter (I like chunky) AND with an equal amount of mayo. Now that's eatin'.

Nope--still not rightMayo and pb go with onion and sharp chedder either on wheatberry bread or ritz!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Banana Snack 2004/02/19 06:28:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by autumneyez04

Oh wow, I remember when I was younger my grandmother would slice a bananna in a bowl, put a glop of peanutbutter in there and sprinkle lots of sugar on top and then mash it up good with a fork. This was the best tasting pudding treat. Somtimes I'd eat it on bread!

My wife did that with the kids using honey instead of sugar. She would call it pnutbutter pudding!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1