Bangladesh buffet

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/02/10 23:35:45 (permalink)

Bangladesh buffet

I was in a real multculti neighborhood in Queens, NY today and we passed an Indian (really Bangladesh) buffet around lunchtime. It was pretty crowded with locals so we tried it. The food was OK, a bit greasy, but the price was right (6.99).
More interesting was the regular lunch menue: Tandoori Chicken $2.99, vegetable curries $1.99, nothing over $4.99. These were Bangladesh prices!

9 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2008/02/11 01:03:33 (permalink)
    When I said these were Bangladesh prices, I meant it as a joke. But I am curious about these Indian buffets. We have some nice ones in, or all places, Santa Fe. Who else enjoys them?
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2008/02/11 07:48:26 (permalink)
    Indian buffets are about the only buffets I like. I like the opportunity to try small amounts of several different things. I am amazed at how much some people eat, though! Our favorite Indian place in KC is Korma Sutra, about 5 minutes from our house. They have a lot more vegetable dishes than many places. And great salads and chaat, which are little snack type items.

The tradition of buffets in Indian restaurants goes back several hundred years in India. It isn't done because it's cheaper, in fact a guy I know who owns a restaurant said it is rather costly for them, but it is an old tradition of offering your guests a lavish variety of food. Saveur Magazine had an article about the history of the Indian buffet a couple of years ago. It was very interesting.

Years ago I went to a Bangladeshi Restaurant in NY, sort of close to St. Mark's Place. It was great! I think the name was Sonali. It was night time and there wasn't a buffet, but the food was fantastic.

Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2008/02/13 13:15:59 (permalink)
    the Jackson diner off Roosevelt Ave. in Elmhurst, Queens was a favorite for years,$5.99...no buffet, but still enjoy bargain Curry In A Hurry, 119 Lexington Ave. NYC after shopping around the corner at Kalustyans for spices and other high quality ingredients...now here in NJ i've been blabbing about how much i love the buffet at Rajpoot in Sayerville for acouple of years - however, the quality of the food has been changing recently in a not-too-positive way...(hope it's just a bad day or two...)
    sp2ekram
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2011/06/09 08:10:33 (permalink)
    Food of Bangladesh is really so testy and I am Bangladeshi and proud for our food.
    Now see a classified website link, this website is for online shopping , buy and sell products, the link is : www .dreamtouch.biz
    post edited by sp2ekram - 2011/06/09 08:12:38
    pimple2
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2011/07/02 00:20:19 (permalink)
    Sneetch,
    There is a difference between restaurants (1) OWNED by people from Bangladesh and (2) restaurants SERVING Food OF Bangladesh to NON-Bangladeshis, i.e. anyone who cannot speak Bangla, regardless of skin color!

The # of category (1) is huge and at one time included >80% of all "Indian" joints [emphasis on joints] in the USA & UK. This is where you get the "buffets" with the foods familiar to the US public as "Indian", i.e.  type of Restaurant Punjabi much as Restaurant Cantonese became the face of  "Chinese" cuisine here.

#2 is vanishingly small! In NYC, around McDonald Ave in Brooklyn, there is a concentration of TRUE BANGLADESHI restaurants that would serve TRUE Bangladeshi Food: fish with bones in that you would need to eat with your hands! Ditto for meat! All of these have thin gravies that need to be mixed with a LOT of rice, NOT SPOONED UP NEAT!!

SAGAR is one of such restaurants. There are many more. You can go to the area & ask, and will be rewarded IF you are willing to jettison your pre-conceived notions of what food should be.

The people who own Kalustyan's are from B'desh. Across the street, is an Indian vegetarian restaurant named PONGAL. The Kalustyan owners had opened a true B'deshi restaurant called SWAGAT right next to PONGAL, in the early 90s. Absolutely authentic, truly excellent home-style B'deshi food, which is EXACTLY the reason it could not survive! Not a single rubbish Indian resto item on the menu!

Edison, NJ is the heart of the Indian ghetto & eateries abound!! The best place to find Indian food! Some examples follow, by no means an exhaustive list.

Bengali Sweets, Jalaram, Chowpatty & Jassi are 4 names that stand out for Indian sweets & savory snacks including the composed items called "chaats". These are to be eaten quickly on site, and the rest can be carried home.

Good reports about SWAGATH at Sugartree Plaza; this is a South Indian vegetarian place without a buffet. Ditto SAPTHGIRI. HOYSALA serves the food of Karnataka.

SIGIRI is a branch of the Manhattan Sri Lankan restaurant, in Edison,  reputed for good food. No buffet, but prices very reasonable.
    jeniferroselyn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Bangladesh buffet 2013/08/13 09:00:58 (permalink)
    this is just hilarious! 
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Bangladesh buffet 2013/08/14 16:09:54 (permalink)
    NYNM I was in a real multculti neighborhood in Queens, NY today and we passed an Indian (really Bangladesh) buffet around lunchtime. It was pretty crowded with locals so we tried it. The food was OK, a bit greasy, but the price was right (6.99).
    More interesting was the regular lunch menue: Tandoori Chicken $2.99, vegetable curries $1.99, nothing over $4.99. These were Bangladesh prices!

The Jackson Diner? (Ah, I see someone else has already mentioned it. In terms of inexpensive Indian restaurants in New York, I'd say that it ties with Curry in a Hurry in the East 20's in Manhattan for the most popular).

Bart
    post edited by bartl - 2013/08/14 16:12:15
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 850
    Re:Bangladesh buffet 2013/08/14 17:12:25 (permalink)
    NYNM
    I was in a real multculti neighborhood in Queens, NY today

You're one brave guy.  He's not kidding about Queens being multicultural. Anyone for roasted cuy? I went to high school in this neighborhood in the 60's.

http://newyork.seriouseat...eights-queens-nyc.html
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    Re:Bangladesh buffet 2013/08/15 11:22:57 (permalink)
    Cuy is a local dish served all over Peru and it's possible in other SA countries.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1