Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 384
Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/17/09 10:01 AM (permalink)
  I'm kinda surprised that a search for banh mi here turns up nothing.  So thought I'd see if anyone out there in the northern half the world has tried these amazing sandwiches in any or all of its variations.  

Here's a couple links:

See bourdains vid at the search below for a basic description

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=banh+mi&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=I6e_Sa6jKMnUkAXs17Ux&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

(I'm with Bourdain, the egg is over the top)

Or here for Lee's a chain, I think mainly on the west coast.

http://www.leesandwiches.com/

Heard of them...like them...or not any reasons?

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
    Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/17/09 10:30 AM (permalink)
    It may be my fault that there is not more about Bahn Mi sandwiches. My hometown of Portland, Oregon has a large Vietnamese population and at last three sandwich shops -bakeries that I believe are roadfood worthy. They are a great lunch bargain(usually about $2.25) with a a wide variety of fillings including pork, barbecue, tofu and eggs. The places have adapted to American and mexican tastes and are one of Portland's outstanding food experiences.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
      Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/17/09 10:47 AM (permalink)

Funny that you mention it. Someone from this site wants to meet up with me for a meal, and am trying to come up with a idea for something unique. I was thinking pho.  There is a great restaurant that is in a little Asian strip mall. The attached and main grocery store is -outstanding!!
      There is Thai restaurant along with the Vietnamese one located there, and this strip mall is as dumpy as one would expect to find through Roadfood.

But those sandwiches are excellent, with the bread having a crispy but light texture that can only be found maybe in New Orleans...

My favorite story was about the first time I tried one. This story made headlines about ten years ago. It happened in Little Vietnam, in Orange Co., CA.  The owner of a video store posted a large picture of Ho Chi Minh prominently in he store and the other Vietnamese locals went nuts. Not one to miss a good protest or riot, I had to check it out.
      To make this story short, there was  guy pushing around a shopping cart loaded with those sandwiches, and I can still taste then now. I had three.....

Now Rod, onto something else. I am getting pissed with you.....  There you are in Bangkok, eating all this great food in such unusual surroundings. It is about time you start taking photos and posting some so we can see how the other half lives.
      You're a lucky guy and your pictures and descriptions of the region would make many of us very envious.  Start with noodles.......

mark

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
        Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/17/09 12:18 PM (permalink)
        http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/search.aspx?searchid=23965&high=bahn+mi

I sometimes spell it wrong banh/bahn. I get confused with foreign language phonetic spelling. Since we are using our language, why isn't it Bahn Me and why isn't Pho, Fa?

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
          Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/17/09 6:47 PM (permalink)
          Wonder if someone familiar with Atlanta can help me? When I worked near Doraville/Tucker I was close enough to the Buford Hwy to get my banh mi fix (among other great cheap eats) at the Pho Bac (Buford at Chamblee-Dunwoody). Now I'm working further up I-85 around Pleasant Hill Road, and the local Vietnamese places I've hit don't serve them - they say there's no place around that does. These spots seem more upscale and maybe banh mi is more of a fast food thing. Anybody have an in on a place that might have what I'm looking for? I don't want to resort to racking up miles and taking long lunch hours...

MiamiDon

Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 03/18/09 5:09 AM (permalink)
            MilwFoodlovers

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/search.aspx?searchid=23965&high=bahn+mi

I sometimes spell it wrong banh/bahn. I get confused with foreign language phonetic spelling. Since we are using our language, why isn't it Bahn Me and why isn't Pho, Fa?

Because you are making the incorrect assumption that it has been translated into American phonetic spelling.

This is the Vietnamese:  bánh mì thit

We just strip the diacritical marks.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 384
              Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 03/18/09 6:33 AM (permalink)
              doggydaddy

Now Rod, onto something else. I am getting pissed with you.....  There you are in Bangkok, eating all this great food in such unusual surroundings. It is about time you start taking photos and posting some so we can see how the other half lives.
              You're a lucky guy and your pictures and descriptions of the region would make many of us very envious.  Start with noodles.......

mark

Message heard, will try and take the camera out more often, I have some real favorite spots after being here for more than two decades, so will see what I can come up with.  

Just one recomendation, you should try a traditional Banh Mi one time just to say you've had one, its a combination of tastes that really comes thru.  I know a lot of Asian food has to be localized for the purveyors to stay in business, but if its not on their menu, you may ask if they can make you one.  I remember eating in Las Vegas during the now defunct Comdex show, which we attended every year, and found a small store front Thai resto one day, it was after lunch rush about 1:45pm, went in the door and heard a mortar and pestle pounding away in the back, with the sound of a Thai TV soap opera coming from the kitchen.  I spoke to the person in Thai as I sat down and asked what they were having for lunch, and if they had enough for me, so went back in the kitchen, ate with them.  What they were making was not on the menu, as was too Thai for most.  I would come back every year a few times just to get my Thai food fix.  

Will be putting my camera in my pocket from now one.

cheers

Rod

dexmat

• Total Posts: 113
                Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 03/18/09 7:16 AM (permalink)
                They're very popular in Houston.  There are probably more Vietnamese restaurants in Houston than any other nationality than Mexican and that's a lot.

The best I think are Les Givral's, Thiem Hung and Hoang.  Yes the bread is very good.  Po'boy shops around here use inferior sandwich rolls typically which just increases the appeal of the Viet places for me.

We have a couple of Lee's here, one of them highly visible right on the Beltway.  I think they're inferior to the local places (well it is a chain after all).  Their warm sandwiches aren't that bad but the cold ones are pre-made I think.  They also tend to be pretty skimpy on the fillings compared to the local shops. 

All are around $2-$2.50 per sandwich.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                  Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 03/18/09 8:39 AM (permalink)
                  Great links!!  Terrific!!  Thanks!!

MiamiDon

Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 03/18/09 9:17 AM (permalink)
                    Rod, I don't know where to find them.  There is a Vietnamese-run, pan-asian grocery near me that used to make them, on weekends only, but now they have stopped.  I read online about a place about 30 miles away that sold them, but when I stopped by they were out of business.

I think that they are great.  When I would bring one home, I would sprinkle a little Nuoc Cham on it.

Maybe I'll find another place making them.

MsDiPesto

• Total Posts: 31
                      Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Fri, 05/15/09 11:29 AM (permalink)
                      I love Bahn mi! They are delicious and a bargain to boot! I'm lucky that the No VA burbs have several sources for these sandwiches that are pretty convenient to get to. The variety offered is amazing. And they're just the right size. 

While the friendly staff makes my sandwich, I enjoy looking at all the other stuff in the store, wondering what it is?

Ivyhouse

• Total Posts: 328
                        Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Fri, 05/15/09 11:53 AM (permalink)
                        RodBangkok

...Just one recomendation, you should try a traditional Banh Mi one time just to say you've had one, its a combination of tastes that really comes thru.  I know a lot of Asian food has to be localized for the purveyors to stay in business, but if its not on their menu, you may ask if they can make you one....  

Rod,

There seem to be so many options, what does a traditional Banh Mi consist of?

Ivyhouse

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                          Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Fri, 05/15/09 1:18 PM (permalink)
                          Another Bánh Mì in the Oven Is the humble Vietnamese hoagie poised to become New York’s No. 1 sandwich? Add a Comment
                          1 Comment | Add Yours
                          13Comments | Add Yours

By Robin Raisfeld & Rob Patronite Published Apr 5, 2009

(Photo: Hannah Whitaker/New York Magazine)

No one knows precisely when the first bánh mì hit New York, although historians of that ingenious Vietnamese delicacy estimate that it was sometime during the Koch administration, back when there wasn’t such a huge market for crackly demi-baguettes, warmed in the oven, slicked with mayo and pâté, then layered meticulously with a variety of cold cuts and a thatch of pickled and fresh vegetables. One thing is certain: Since that fateful day, the bánh mì (pronounced bun me) has come into its own, transcending its humble Chinatown origins to infiltrate not only hipster enclaves like Williamsburg, which, in the two years since Silent H opened, has become a bánh mì hub, but also the menus of cocktail lounges (Pegu Club, which serves a fried-oyster bánh mì), coffee shops (Roots & Vines, where you can have a bánh mì with your Counter Culture latte), and even wine bars (Terroir offers a mortadella-stuffed bánh mì Italiano). It’s fair to say, in fact, that the bánh mì is the new panino, and the toaster oven (found wherever bánh mì are made, including a new financial-district street cart) the new panini press.

It’s easy to understand the Saigon sub’s appeal. It’s got flavor and textural contrasts that elude most others in its category. It’s got a roll that traditionally incorporates rice flour to make it extra-light and crackly, especially when toasted. It’s got fatty meats, pickled carrots and daikon, fragrant cilantro, cool cucumber, and hot sauce or hot peppers or both. It’s usually got a cheap price tag, too. That’s probably why new bánh mì shops have been popping up like spring crocuses of late. There’s Baogette in Curry Hill (with two more branches on the way), An Choi on Orchard Street, Nha Toi in Williamsburg, and a new Park Slope outpost of Hanco’s. And then there’s Num Pang, which claims not to serve bánh mì at all, but their Cambodian cousin, stuffed with things like tiger shrimp and veal meatballs.

Still, for most aficionados, the classic bánh mì is the one most menus call No. 1, typically layered with varying combinations of a beige-colored, bologna-like pork roll, head cheese, a red-rimmed lardo-like substance, and often sweetish, pinkish barbecued pork. To honor that archetype, we went on a bánh mì binge, eating our way through the stalwart veterans and the new wave alike, judging their No. 1’s on construction, balance, and overall flavor. Here are our favorites.

1. Ba Xuyen’s Pâté Thit Nguôi
                          New York’s best bánh mì is well lubed and generously stuffed with four takes on Vietnamese pork product, plus a judicious smear of pork-liver pâté. The key, though, is that every ingredient lives in perfect harmony within its crackly crusted baguette. And they don’t stint on the cilantro. $3.75; 4222 Eighth Ave., nr. 42nd St., Sunset Park; 718-633-6601.

2. Baogette’s Baogette
                          This is a bold, juicy flavor bomb of a bánh mì. Ask for it spicy and that’s what you get. All the meats are made in-house. The jury is out, though, on the correctness of the par-baked baguettes that emerge hot from the oven—but with a slightly doughy crumb. $5; 61 Lexington Ave., nr. 25th St.; 212-518-4089.

3. Bánh Mì Saigon Bakery’s Bánh Mì Saigon
                          The frenzied crowd at this sandwich counter in the back of a Chinatown jewelry store is of such a magnitude that the kitchen crew is forced to make some sandwiches in advance. That’s not ideal, of course, but the sweet, peppery barbecued pork is so good, you won’t mind. $3.75; 138-01 Mott St., nr. Grand St.; 212-941-1541.

4. Num Pang’s Pulled Duroc Pork
                          We’re talking apples and oranges here because a bánh mì is not a num pang, according to chef-owner Ratha Chau, who doesn’t offer anything resembling the cold-cut special. But his slow-roasted Duroc pulled pork on a butter-toasted Parisi roll is too good not to include in a list like this. $7.50; 21 E. 12th St., nr. University Pl.; 212-255-3273.

5. Sáu Voi Corp’s Bánh Mì Dac Biêt
                          This ramshackle Lotto-ticket-and-cigarette shack doubles as a sandwich counter and claims to have introduced bánh mì to New York in 1987. That it’s still around is a testament to the classic minimalist construction of its house special (ham, pâté, turkey, and pork roll on good bread shipped in from Jersey). $3.75; 101–105 Lafayette St., at Walker St.; 212-226-8184.

6. Paris Sandwich’s Bánh Mì Dac Biêt
                          Everyone knows it takes a good baguette to make a good bánh mì. That’s why the folks at Paris Sandwich—leaving nothing to chance—bake their own baguettes throughout the day. It’s great bánh mì bread: thin-skinned with a delicate crackle but sturdy enough to handily contain a multitude of the usual dac biêt suspects. Too bad the overall sandwich balance is slightly off with bland pork roll leading the flavor parade. $4; 113 Mott St., nr. Hester St.; 212-226-7221.
                          There Ya Go!!!!!!            Russ

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                            Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Fri, 05/15/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                            RodBangkok

Or here for Lee's a chain, I think mainly on the west coast.

http://www.leesandwiches.com/

Heard of them...like them...or not any reasons?

We have a Lees Sandwiches in Chandler AZ. It's Very good. Especially their Baguettes--Best I've ever eaten

accent

• Total Posts: 18
                              Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 07/29/09 8:44 PM (permalink)
                              If any of you ever get to Toronto, dont miss going to China Town (Dundas and Spadina Ave). There are a number of Vietnamese stores serving the subs. The bread is fantastic, the fillings are always great (usually fresh cliantro is included) and the price is $1.50. The buns are piled up at least three feet high right in the window of some of the shops so you know they sell a ton of them. It was not too long ago they sold for a dollar, the best bargain in all
                              Toronto I think.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 07/29/09 8:49 PM (permalink)
                                I sure hope we get something like this in SW Ohio soon.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 07/29/09 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                  I stop at Baogette on Lex and 26th about once a week.  Absolutely addicting. 

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
                                    Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 07/29/09 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                    there are many really good Vietnamese sandwich shops in and around the Dallas area. And the price is only about $3.00. A really good deal. Usually they have the bologna, pork, cilantro, hot pepper. and the spicy fish sauce to dunk in or drizzle on. For some who prefer to eat no bread(can't imagine that) they offer a rice vermicelli with all those good things, plus lettuces and again for very little $$$.

TorontoTips

• Total Posts: 33
                                      Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 11/17/09 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                      Earlier this year we did a mini-tour of Toronto banh-mi joints to determine the best of the bunch.
                                      Taking advice from online sources we selected Nguyen Huong, perennial fave Rose Cafe, and decided we'd visit the Spadina Rd. strip and just 'pick one'.

Long story short - Nguyen Huong was the best (the north Scarborough location at Steeles & Middlefield in the T&T plaza) - big, crusty, chewy fresh rolls, lots of flavour from the combo of spreads on the bread, (some sort of pate and a mayo-like substance) and a nice balance of meat, pickled carrot & radish, and cilantro.  Definitely a home run!

We were eating in the car, and the bread was so fresh and crispy-crunchy on the outside that my shirt and lap were covered in breadcrumb confetti. I could eat this gorgeous bun empty and be a very happy guy.  I've become addicted to these yummy little bargains!

If you're ever in Toronto, check them out!  (and feel free to message me for any type of foodie or touristy TorontoTips )

.James.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                        Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 11/17/09 8:23 PM (permalink)
                                        TorontoTips

Earlier this year we did a mini-tour of Toronto banh-mi joints to determine the best of the bunch.
                                        Taking advice from online sources we selected Nguyen Huong, perennial fave Rose Cafe, and decided we'd visit the Spadina Rd. strip and just 'pick one'.

Long story short - Nguyen Huong was the best (the north Scarborough location at Steeles & Middlefield in the T&T plaza) - big, crusty, chewy fresh rolls, lots of flavour from the combo of spreads on the bread, (some sort of pate and a mayo-like substance) and a nice balance of meat, pickled carrot & radish, and cilantro.  Definitely a home run!

We were eating in the car, and the bread was so fresh and crispy-crunchy on the outside that my shirt and lap were covered in breadcrumb confetti. I could eat this gorgeous bun empty and be a very happy guy.  I've become addicted to these yummy little bargains!

If you're ever in Toronto, check them out!  (and feel free to message me for any type of foodie or touristy TorontoTips )

.James.
                                        Sure hope we get something akin to this in Southwest Ohio sometime soon ! ! !

Extreme Glow

Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 11/18/09 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                          When in St. Louis, it's Banh Mi So #1.

http://banhmiso1.com/sandwich.html

I get the #32 but with chicken, double meat!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 966
                                            Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 11/18/09 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                            I'd never seen these until I watched WQED's great show, "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS some years ago.  Lots of other roadfood favorites featured on that program, by the way.

Here in the Twin Cities, these sandwiches are available in many Vietnamese places, and they are usually both good and cheap.  

Earlier this year, a chain called "Bun Mi" opened a shop on Washington Avenue on the U of Minnesota Minneapolis campus.  It's just a few blocks from my office, but I haven't tried it yet.  Reportedly, the sandwiches are OK, but overpriced.   http://www.bunmisandwiches.com/

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                              Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 11/18/09 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                              Extreme Glow

When in St. Louis, it's Banh Mi So #1.

http://banhmiso1.com/sandwich.html

I get the #32 but with chicken, double meat!

Great menu and the prices are nice too. If they only had gooey cake for dessert.

sop that

• Total Posts: 155
                                                • Location: Huntington Beach, CA
                                                Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Wed, 11/18/09 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                We love Lee's Sandwiches, and wish there was one closer to home and work! 

Subway makes a big deal about their $5 footlong, well at Lee's I can get 2 for $5!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                  Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Thu, 11/19/09 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                                  See my previous post several posts above. This chain - Lee's Sandwiches - is Fabulous! The location in Chandler is sparkling clean. They need to do a better job of Marketing their Company in AZ  I guess they are primarily a CA chain, haven't looked for their web site, but will do so now!
                                                  <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 11/19/09 12:12 AM>

MiamiDon

Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Thu, 11/19/09 7:16 AM (permalink)

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                                                      Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Thu, 11/19/09 7:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      Ba Le in Chicago  at Argyle and Broadway makes these sandwiches... around $3.50 and they are great!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                                        Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Thu, 11/19/09 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                        We are blessed here in the Fresno/Clovis area of California to have pho/sandwich shops on nearly every corner (that isn't occupied by an authentic Mexican food place).  The first one I had that a co-worker brought, got me hooked!  It's hard to get a bad one in  this town.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                          • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                          Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/4/14 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                                          Finally had a Bahn Mi and dug this old thread up to tell about it..I have read of the virtues of the mighty Bahn Mi for years but had not had one until last week. There is a Vietnamese cafe down the block from my office. I had read a year or so ago they made good Bahn Mi, as far as I know, the only authentic Bahn Mi in Syracuse...but the place had no sign and it looked a little sketchy. In the last few months they put some money in the place, sprung for a couple signs and put a poster of the sandwich in the window..so I thought I'd give it a try and maybe it would help me escape the mid-winter doldrums.

Its kind of a social club that serves coffee...at lunch time they have a cart by the door staffed by a nice lady who puts the sandwiches together. I had the Bahn Mi Thit which was carefully assembled on a brilliantly crusty roll; the special mayonnaise, chopped pork BBQ, sliced roast pork and pork pate', a special sauce, pickled daikon and carrots, a cucumber and a fist full of cilantro...I asked her to hold on to the peppers. I handed her a 10, she gave me back 5 and stuffed the sandwich in a brown paper bag...no additional wrapping.

Wow, what a combination of flavors. I am hooked and will be a regular.
                                                          <message edited by Cosmos on Tue, 03/4/14 10:46 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                                            Re:Banh Mi Sandwich (Vietnam) Tue, 03/4/14 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            Fortunately, Dallas has a huge Vietnamese population. Banh Mi sandwiches are as common as hamburgers.
                                                            The best can be had at La' Me.
                                                            http://www.dallasnews.com...estaurant-3-stars-.ece
                                                            https://www.facebook.com/lame.restaurant

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com