Banh Mi Sandwiches.

Author
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2005/01/28 23:12:54 (permalink)

Banh Mi Sandwiches.

Is anyone familiar with Banh Mi sandwiches? I am looking for recipes/ingredients, etc. especially the bread that is used in making them. I think they use a lot of cilantro, jalopeno's and daikon alng with some kind of a pork pate. Any info is appreciated. I live in the Tampa area. If there are any Vietnamese food places that serve them in the Tampa area, I'd like to know where they are. Thanks! chef joe

4 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Banh Mi Sandwiches. 2005/01/29 01:47:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chef joe

Is anyone familiar with Banh Mi sandwiches? I am looking for recipes/ingredients, etc. especially the bread that is used in making them. I think they use a lot of cilantro, jalopeno's and daikon alng with some kind of a pork pate. Any info is appreciated. I live in the Tampa area. If there are any Vietnamese food places that serve them in the Tampa area, I'd like to know where they are. Thanks! chef joe

At the Banh Mi joints in San Francisco's "Little Saigon", lots of different types of Banh Mi are offerred (different meats) but the most popular is roast pork (followed by chicken). On that is put a garnish of marinated julienned carrots, fresh cilantro, and sliced fresh jalapenos. This is all on a French roll with mayonnaise. The critical ingredient is probably whatever sweetish, vinegary stuff the carrots are marinated in. I think you could simulate it with a mixture of vinegar, sugar, a little soy, a little sesame oil. Since it's Vietnamese, there's probably a little fish sauce in there too but I don't really taste it.

Anyway, here's a couple of possibilities near Tampa:

quote:
    Dueling cuisines bring more to the table

A new restaurant on Henderson Avenue adds more spice to a block dominated by Vietnamese businesses.

By MICHAEL CANNING, Times Staff Writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published May 3, 2002

We see it all the time in our competitive American marketplace. A Walgreens goes in catty-corner to Eckerd. "Coming soon, Wendy's," just down the street from McDonald's.

But a much more low key tit-for-tat has unfolded on Henderson Avenue. Banh Mi Ba Le Vietnamese restaurant recently opened not a spring roll's toss from Dong Phuong, a 16-year South Tampa favorite for Vietnamese cooking.

And don't be so quick to apply an American cultural perspective on the situation. People from both eateries say there isn't any competition. Some Dong Phuong customers, while lunching there Tuesday afternoon, didn't even know of Banh Mi Ba Le three doors down.

"It's not a competition," said Banh Mi Ba Le co-owner Thanh Le. "It's just a good location," because the block has long been frequented by Vietnamese.

Aside from Dong Phuong and its adjoining Asian food and specialty market at 3636 Henderson Blvd., the block is dominated by Vietnamese-owned businesses. Sharing the same strip with Banh Mi Ba Le is Kim-My Alterations and Nail Elegance. Number One Travel agency is across the street, owned by relatives of the family that runs Dong Phuong.

"It doesn't bother us," said Le Tuan as he took lunch orders behind the counter at Dong Phuong Tuesday. "They have their customers; we have our customers."

The two restaurants are small, family owned, and concentrate on cuisine from the southern part of Vietnam. But Le sees differences between his place and Dong Phuong. "We do a different style of cooking," he said, mentioning dishes prepared at the table like hot pots and seven star beef.

Le added that there's also a difference in clientele. "A lot of Vietnamese don't eat (at Dong Phuong). It's not very traditional.

"The American people that eat here, they really know Vietnamese food."

Competition or not, Dong Phuong regular Hill Graham says Banh Mi Ba Le "has their work cut out for them. Phuong's is established. I love it. It's simple, but it's elegant. They're consistent, and priced fairly."

B.T. Nguyen, a veteran local Vietnamese restaurateur, doesn't think this situation is quite so laissez-faire.

"I do think that it is a direct competition," she said from her Cafe B.T. on Gandy Boulevard.

She figures she knows a turf war when she sees one. Her cafe shares a wall with a former Chinese restaurant that morphed into Indochine, with a menu similar to B.T.'s, two years ago. "I have customers mistake them for me quite often."

"We're like the Italians," Nguyen said of the local Vietnamese restaurant scene.

"You don't do that to each other."

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Banh Mi Sandwiches. 2005/01/29 01:52:46 (permalink)
    Here's another possibility:
    quote:
    BEST DOUBLE THREAT TASTE OF ASIA

Thuy Cafe, 5944 34th St. N, St Petersburg; (727) 521-6406.

A tiny slot in an Asian strip center has only two items, banh mi sandwiches and bubble tea, but both are rare, great fun and bargain priced. The Vietnamese sandwich uses traditional French bread, pate and cheese with an Asian zest for peppers, cilantro, carrots and rice vinegar. Boba is the fruity/smoothie tea from Taiwan with the big-straw bubbles of giant tapioca. It's takeout only, but with the hippest waiting area on U.S. 19.

Incidentally--I eat Banh Mi in SF all the time (hey, it's got to be the greatest $2 sandwich on earth), but I'm not familiar with the use of pate'. Once again, the ones I know and love, and that I see gobbled up by lines of workers from the SF Federal Building across the street, are sliced ROAST pork, not pate.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Banh Mi Sandwiches. 2005/01/29 17:20:05 (permalink)
    There is a Vietnamese restaurant on Waters and Dale Mabry in Tampa called 'Pho',you could try them.
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Banh Mi Sandwiches. 2005/01/29 17:26:17 (permalink)
    BT, I apologize for double posting, I've head a tumor removed from my brain in August and as of yet I am not back to full throtle. Sorry, chef joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1