BanhMi using rice n wheat flour baguett eastCoast?

Author
jeff29992001
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/07/26 04:28:29 (permalink)

BanhMi using rice n wheat flour baguett eastCoast?

does anybody know any place in NYC, boston, or philly that makes banh mi using rice and wheat flour baguettes instead of the regular wheat baguettes/italian heros?

i'm in nyc, and the banh mi places i've visited here all use a regular italian/french roll they buy from a bakery, it's not bad, just that i would like to see how much effect a vietnamese baguette has on the banh mi.

3 Replies Related Threads

zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: BanhMi using rice n wheat flour baguett eastCoast? 2004/08/09 15:29:03 (permalink)
    If you haven't found any rice flour baguette yet, you could try making them if you enjoy baking. I recently got a book called Home Baking, by Alford and Diugud. They have included an easy recipe for them, as well as lots of other ethnic baked things. I like the softer kind also, but that's all anyone in my city sells. You can buy the rolls for 40 - 50 cents each at most southeast asian markets around here.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: BanhMi using rice n wheat flour baguett eastCoast? 2004/08/09 18:28:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeff29992001

does anybody know any place in NYC, boston, or philly that makes banh mi using rice and wheat flour baguettes instead of the regular wheat baguettes/italian heros?

i'm in nyc, and the banh mi places i've visited here all use a regular italian/french roll they buy from a bakery, it's not bad, just that i would like to see how much effect a vietnamese baguette has on the banh mi.

I think you're unlikely to find such a thing. I've always believed the Banh Mi was one of those fusion cuisine phenomena, a product of the French occupation of IndoChina, hence the obligatory French baguette.

Anyway, I've eaten lots of Banh Mi on the west coast and I've never seen anything but baguettes--and I've seen nearly everything that is hereabouts.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: BanhMi using rice n wheat flour baguett eastCoast? 2004/08/09 20:09:44 (permalink)
    Garden Grove, CA delis have the soft, rice flour variety of banh mi rolls. As do delis in San Jose. And here in the mid west and upper midwest, the Twin Cities for example, that's all you will find. From vietnamese people I've talked to about this, the ones in VietNam usually were of the rice and wheat flour variety because all wheat flour would have been far too expensive.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1