Banq / Rest Query

Author
Dunegreen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/11/14 12:37:29 (permalink)

Banq / Rest Query

Has anyone been in the position to take over an established restaurant or banquet facility? I am the F & B Director at a golf club featuring a 75 seat restaurant and a 300 seat banquet facility. I have become, lets say, disenchanted with ownership's lack of focus which has help create an under performing restaurant and golf course. If I did not recognize the potential I would have packed my bags years ago - but there's something here that has not been tapped. Of course there are a number of things that need to be discussed and untangled (payroll, insurance, member restaurant obligations, etc.) prior to any definitive action takes place.

Has anyone ever put themselves, been put in or know of someone who has been in this position? Does anyone have any "Holy Crap, that's a bad idea because of _______" input?

5 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Banq / Rest Query 2006/11/14 13:52:46 (permalink)
    I'm not sure of what your asking. Is this CC privately owned or owned by the members? Sounds like you have been there for awhile and are looking for options on your career. You may want to approach the principles and ask for some type of lease arrangement. I have played a good many of courses in your area and it's a good bet that I've played at yours. Chow Jim
    Dunegreen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Banq / Rest Query 2006/11/14 14:05:57 (permalink)
    I'm guess I'm asking if anyone has been in a position to lease a business within a larger business. I know that ownership will never part with the golf course which lends an air of stability for someone looking to make an offer on the Food & Beverage side. I also know that ownership would be amenable to discussing this option (they may not know it yet). However, when the business first opened it was one unit (golf and food) so payroll is one company, insurances are all in the one company's name, etc. Everything is intertwined because ownership never planned for a time when the two departments could be separated. I think this is do-able but want to kow what it will entail to separate the F&B side from the golf side. This has the potential to be a huge money maker for someone with the knowledge and attention to detail; so that's why I'm wondering if anyone has found themselves in the same situation.

Sorry, course is open to public and is privately owned. Members have a restaurant obligation but we have no members board for voting.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Banq / Rest Query 2006/11/15 07:04:34 (permalink)
    I'm the GM of a Hotel with a Tiki Bar, a Breakfast/Lunch diner, and a Gift Shop, all leased out. We ran the bar ourselves for a while and decided it was best to let the bartender lease it and steal from himself (Not necessarily taking money but buying customers drinks, etc). There's an old bartenders joke; One Bartender turns to another and says, "that guy didn’t pay his bill but he left a hell of a tip". All of them have a year-to-year lease requiring them to carry insurance, workman’s comp, etc, and provide us with copies of each. None are allowed to order goods under our name nor do we allow deliveries to be made to us.

Have the CC provide you with a lease and be sure to have an attorney review it before signing. KISS if possible.

Good luck,

John

PS. Years ago I owned a bar, it took a while to learn the tricks of the trade.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Banq / Rest Query 2006/11/15 14:57:56 (permalink)
    Good points John.

Dunegreen, I hear ya on the discomfort of being involved within a business where others are letting the ball drop. It can be a supremely annoying situation ... irritation that I've tried to keep an eye out to "head off at the pass" whenever possible.

Regarding the untangling ... as John mentioned, get a good attorney - and one with experience in such matters!

Earlier this year I reviewed a business where a restaurant with a large marina were available for lease. The restaurant was around 300 seats with a nice bar, a fireplace, windows accross the whole dining room overlooking the water and a large back patio with a separate tiki bar and band shell. A really nice set up.

However, the property owners would not lease the properties separately so that one could just have the restaurant without running the marina.

And like other restauranteurs who had previously reviewed the property, I had NO interest in running a marina ... something I have no expertise in whatsoever.

The problems was this. There was only a certain amount of parking available, yet the city required a certain amount of parking for a particular business ... and if the businesses (the marina and restaurant) were split as far as business ownership, it was not possible to comply with the parking requirements as two separate businesses.
    The only solution seemed to be owning the whole operation and then subcontracting out the marina operations. Not.

(that, combined with the fact that when I toured the building I found that the state had confiscated every peice of equipment, chair, dish etc from the restaurant to satisfy unpaid business taxes from the previous restaurant owner ... made it even more-so a non-starter)

The point again ... have a really good attorney and go the extra yard to protect your interests against unexpected entanglements.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Banq / Rest Query 2006/11/16 16:45:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

I'm the GM of a Hotel with a Tiki Bar, a Breakfast/Lunch diner, and a Gift Shop, all leased out. We ran the bar ourselves for a while and decided it was best to let the bartender lease it and steal from himself (Not necessarily taking money but buying customers drinks, etc). There's an old bartenders joke; One Bartender turns to another and says, "that guy didn’t pay his bill but he left a hell of a tip". All of them have a year-to-year lease requiring them to carry insurance, workman’s comp, etc, and provide us with copies of each. None are allowed to order goods under our name nor do we allow deliveries to be made to us.

Have the CC provide you with a lease and be sure to have an attorney review it before signing. KISS if possible.

Good luck,

John

PS. Years ago I owned a bar, it took a while to learn the tricks of the trade.

I work for a gentleman that has 2 restaurants in a resort.
    The hotel has nothing to do with his operation, other than having keys. ANd of of course, resort standards.
    Similar to what JohnA is talking about.
    I think it is less hassle for the resort to let someone else worry about the licenses, food odering, employee hassles.... all that headache that goes along with running a restaurant.
    However, we (The employees), must keep to resort standards as far as guest relations.
    IE: Dont piss off the guests, as it is a direct reflection upon the resort.
    (Uh.. I know this from personal experience.. Got my hand slapped a couple times)....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1