The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bapao!

ChocolateSwissMiss

• Total Posts: 3
Bapao! Tue, 01/20/04 7:47 PM (permalink)
Hello!I'm new to the forums, but I'm loving all the great advice! I was searching for Lumpia and I found it! Thanks! But now i'd LOVE to have a really authentic recipe for Bapao. I had it while I was in the Netherlands. I've found some sites but they are all in Dutch and I haven't the patience to figure it all out. Its a delicious pastry that is filled with meat and then fried. So pleeeeeeze, if you know how to make it I would LOVE to learn! Thanks a bundle! Ciao!
Crystal

skooter

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Bapao! Fri, 01/23/04 6:09 PM (permalink)
    Hello,you've got internet so you can search for the recipe for "chinese steamed bread" and than especially for the ones filled with meat. Those bapao's are steamed and not fried. Good luck searching and trying the recipe. Enjoy !

DietrichD

RE: Bapao! Fri, 02/6/04 11:08 AM (permalink)
      I'm new to the forums too. I saw your request for Bapao and wow that makes my mouth water, remember them as a Kid. Got in toutch with my mom and she sent and translated the recipie.
      Bapao is an Indonesian recipe used in the Netherlands. Hope this helps.

Bapao
      Ingrediënten:
      250 gram patentbloem (flour)
      20 gram verse of 1 zakje gedroogde gist (dried yeast, the kind I use for baking bread, that comes in a little package)
      ½ dl. lauwwarm water (luke warm watre)
      1 dl. lauwwarme melk (luke warm milk)
      1 eetlepel witte basterdsuiker (table spoon that suger that's all soft like I put over the poffertje)
      mespunt zout. (tip of a knife of salt)

Voor de vulling: - for the filling:
      2 eetlepels slaolie (tablespoons veg. oil)
      3 wit van prei (the white of leeks)
      1 uitgeknepen teen knoflook(pressed out clove of garlic)
      500 gram gehakt (hamburger)
      zout (salt)
      3 eetlepels zoete ketjap (table spoons sweet ketchup.. hahaha)
      2 eetlepels droge sherry (Tablsp. dry sherry)
      2 eetlepels maïzena (Tblsp cornstarch)
      3 eetlepels kippenbouillon. (Tbsp chicken bouillon)

Bereidingswijze:
      Verkruimel de gist in een kopje. Doe het water erbij en roer de gist, als ze vloeibaar is
      put yeast in cup. put water w/ it, stir yeast.

geworden, een keer om. Zeef de bloem in een kom. Maak een kuiltje erin en strooi zout en
      sift flour in bowl (duh). make a 'hole' in the flour sprinkle salt and suger at the edge of the hole. put the yeast stuff carefully in the hole and work in some flour, but no sugar.

suiker over de bovenrand. Schenk het gistmengsel in het kuiltje en werk er wat bloem
      cover it all off w/ the rest of the flout and wait until the flour starts to burst.

zonder suiker en zout door. Dek dit mengsel af met de overige bloem en wacht dat de
      then add the milk and kneed the dough and push the dough until it doesn't stick to the counter anymore.

bloem, door de werking van de gist gaat barsten. Doe de melk erbij en kneed en duw het
      butter your bowl, put the dhough in it and sprinkle some flour on top.

deeg, tot het niet meer aan het aanrecht plakt. Bestrijk een kom met boter, leg het deeg
      cover the bowl w/ saran wrap and place in a warm draft free spot. wait until the dough has doubled.

erin en strooi wat bloem over de bovenkant. Dek de kom af met plastic folie en zet ze op een warme tochtvrije plaats. Wacht tot het deeg in omvang is verdubbeld. Verwarm de
      warm the oil. cut the leeks in very teeny strips. sauté leeks, garlic and hamburger, while you keep stirring and until the hamburger is brown and all the juices are gone.

olie. Snijd de prei in zeer dunne reepjes. Fruit prei, knoflook en gehakt al roerend, tot het gehakt bruin ziet en al het vocht is verdampt. Roer zout ketjap en sherry erdoor en laat 10
      stir in salt, ketchup and sherry and let simmer for 10 minutes.

minuten zachtjes pruttelen. Maak de maïzena aan met de bouillon. Roer dit mengsel door het gehaktmengsel en laat even koken. Laat de vulling afkoelen. Rol het deeg uit op een
      stir the cornstarch through the bouillon. stir this thorugh the hamburger stuff. roll the dough on a flour covered counter in 5 centimeter thick roll. cut this roll in 2 centimeter wide pieces.

bebloemd aanrecht tot een 5 cm dikke rol. Snijd deze rol in 2 cm brede stukken.
      roll out each piece with a flour covered dough roller in a round form of 10 centimeters.

Rol ieder stukje uit met een bebloemd deegroller tot een rondje met een middellijn van 10 cm. Leg op ieder rondje 2 eetlepels vulling en vouw het deeg dicht. Plak het deeg met
      place on each round of dough 2 tabelspoons filling and fold the dough closed. glue the dough tight shut with water. give it a nice round form.

wat water vast. Geef een mooie ronde vorm. Leg de broodjes weg op een bebloemd oppervlak en laat nog 30 minuten narijzen. Breng een ruime bodem water aan de kook in
      place the buns, rolls, "little breads," on a flour covered surface and let it rise another 30 minutes.

een stoompan. Heb je geen stoompan, hang dan een metalen stoommandje in een grote pan met een bodempje water. Leg de broodjes op het stoomrek of in het stoommandje en zorg dat de broodjes van elkaar af blijven liggen. Stoom de broodjes in 10 minuten gaar. Houd de reeds gestoomde broodjes heet op een schaal op een pan met kokend water.

have a "roomy" (wide pan) filled with water. (they are talking about a steamer.) bring it to a boil. if you don't have a steamer, hang a steam rack or steam basket in a bit pan with a little water and make sure that the little breads don't touch each other. steam them done in about 10 minutes. keep the broodjes you have done hot in a bowl on top of a pan with boiling water

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
        RE: Bapao! Fri, 02/6/04 11:19 AM (permalink)
        Wow Dietrich - I am impressed at the translation! My husband just returned from a trip to the Netherlands and told me about the broodjes he had there. I will try to make them. Tell your mother thank you.

My husband also liked the hamburgers served with a fried egg on top.

DietrichD

RE: Bapao! Sat, 02/7/04 3:24 PM (permalink)
          This Conversion Table web site might be helpfull too.
          http://www.hub-uk.com/cooking/tipsconversion.htm

Irma B

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: Bapao! Fri, 03/26/04 9:20 AM (permalink)
            Hi Dietrich,

Super translation, but one mistake. Ketjap is not ketchup but sweet soy-sauce!!!! I will try this recipe. I've made bapaos before but the dough was not perfect. I think adding milk and some suger as in your recipe will do the trick!

Greetings from the Netherlands!
            Irma

DietrichD

RE: Bapao! Tue, 11/16/04 11:49 PM (permalink)
              woops,,,, Irma, thanks for the correction
              how did they come out?

ChocolateSwissMiss

RE: Bapao! Thu, 01/27/05 1:51 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by skooter

Hello,you've got internet so you can search for the recipe for "chinese steamed bread" and than especially for the ones filled with meat. Those bapao's are steamed and not fried. Good luck searching and trying the recipe. Enjoy !

Hey Scooter! thanks! I forgot that they were steamed. I got it mixed up with the Lumpia's I had in Holland which are fried hehehe oops.. Either way I would get one of each every day while on my bike. Good times! ;)
                Ciao! Happy eating!
                ChocolateSwiss

ChocolateSwissMiss

RE: Bapao! Thu, 01/27/05 1:52 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by DietrichD

I'm new to the forums too. I saw your request for Bapao and wow that makes my mouth water, remember them as a Kid. Got in toutch with my mom and she sent and translated the recipie.
                  Bapao is an Indonesian recipe used in the Netherlands. Hope this helps.

Dietrich! You Rock! Thanks for this recipe! I totally forgot I was signed up on this site. I went to search for Bapao again and found my own post on msn! HAHAHA And finally someone had responded! Great! tell your mom thanks and i look forward to trying this recipe.. I can't wait! ;)
                  Happy Eating!
                  ChocolateSwiss

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com