Bark Hot Dogs

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2336
2009/08/12 08:24:51 (permalink)

Bark Hot Dogs

A new hot dog restaurant opened recently in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn called Bark Hot Dogs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/dining/12bark.html?_r=1

The dogs served are from Hartmann's in Canandaigua (formerly Rochester) New York. They are high quality and available in New York and New Jersey at certain Wegman's supermarkets. The beef dogs are well seasoned with a slightly tangy flavor. The beef and pork wieners are fantastic. One of my two favorites in this style along with Thumann's. This place seems worth checking out.

10 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/08/12 08:59:11 (permalink)
    I purchased some of the Hartmann's products in Pa last week.  The  beef and pork ones were great.  We have not tried the brats yet but I am willing to bet that they are reallly good, too.

I called our nearest  Wegmans in Maryland and they carry them .  I  just never noticed them before as I always  buy the Hofmann’s Franks and Snappys.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2409
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/08/12 09:12:24 (permalink)
    I read about it on one of the local food blogs and it sounds pretty good.  I've got it on my list of places to check out.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/28 16:59:42 (permalink)
    I went to Bark yesterday.

First the good:

I had a NY Classic Dog (Sweet & Sour Onions) and a Kraut Dog. These were two of the best dogs I have ever had. The toppings are homemade and fantastic. The Sweet & Sour onions were nothing like that orange-colored goop found in pushcart dogs everywhere in NY. The homemade sauerkraut on the Kraut dog was excellent as well. The dogs are basted in lard butter before they are griddled, and I'm sure this adds to the taste.

To top it off they serve Foxon Park sodas (I'm not sure I've ever seen it before in NY City).

Now the not-so-good:

1) These were smallish dogs, I am guessing they are 8 to a lb. Some of Bark's publicity I've read strongly implies that thier dogs are made specially for them (by Hartmann's, as John said above). That may be true, but I checked Hartmann's Website and they do not make a 8 to a pound dog, so maybe what's made especially for Bark is one in that size. I could be wrong, but these certainly seemed to be smaller than 6 to a pound).

2) The price. OK, I know the Bergen Street area is a rapidly gentrifying area of Brooklyn, but 2 dogs and a soda came to almost $15 including tax and the inevitable tip jar.  

Oddly enough the beers (made by the nearby Six Point Microbrewery) are very reasonably priced at $4 per pint.

Since I was in Brooklyn anyway I decided to make a day trip out of it, stopping at nearby City Sub for a couple of excellent subs to take home for today.

Other stops were a long walk in Prospect Park on a nice day, a Mexican Torta storefront place on Coney Island Avenue for a 2nd lunch, a drive by Mitchells Soul Food on Vanderbuilt Ave (some say they have the best fried chicken in NY) which was supposed to be open on Sunday but wasn't, and a beer at one of the only remaining old-school blue collar bars in Flatbush (Denny's Steak Pub, although they haven't served food for over 20 years), just in time to see the Giants already down by 24-0.

A great day to be back in my old Home Town.
    John Fox
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/28 19:37:50 (permalink)
    Ken,

I've never been to Bark, but have sampled the Hartmann's dogs before. Did you have the beef, or the beef/pork dog? I like both but the German style beef/pork is better in my opinion.

I don't know the size dogs served at Bark, but I've read on other forums that most people consider the price expensive for what you are getting. Since I'm not big on toppings, I'm happy to buy these dogs at Wegmans and prepare them at home. If I was in Brooklyn or near by, I would stop in.

I've gotten to know someone at Hartmann's and can tell you that the beef and beef/pork recipes are the exact same as what you can get at Wegmans. Yet another example of a place falsely claiming that their dogs are made special for them. A lot of these people are worse than used car salesman.
    RobInNY
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/28 19:48:33 (permalink)
    Hartman's Hot Dogs are very good indeed!  I tried selling Sabrett Dogs at an event near the Hartman Factory...and , ..well,...went and purchased Hartman's for the remainder of the event! 
      Long story short, back at my permanent spot in Greenwich, NY (Upstate), I tried selling the Hartman's, and, ...well,....we tried, but too many folks here like Sabretts.
      Keep on grilling! Steamer's beware....no "dirty water dogs" sold here!
    ken8038
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/28 21:35:32 (permalink)
    John, I had the beef/pork dog which I usually prefer if I have a choice. Actually I didn't see any mention of a choice on the menu, I think the beef/pork is the "default" unless you specifically ask for the all beef. In any event I asked for the beef/pork dog.

By the way, getting back to the size, I found the below review on another website. The dogs I had were nowhere near as big as the ones pictured in the review, the ones I had were just about the same size as the roll.  I'm wondering if they have switched to a smaller size since that review was done.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/08/summer-of-hot-dog-love-bark-hot-dogs-park-slope-brooklyn.html
    John Fox
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/29 06:19:30 (permalink)
    It's quite possible that they switched to a smaller size. It's fairly easy for a hot dog manufacturer to make a dog in a different size. Best's, which has only one recipe, makes an extra skinny dog for one place that requests it. But the recipe for the beef/pork dog, which is the default dog at Bark's, is the same recipe as what you get at Wegman's. Woodbridge sells the 4 to a lb, while Bridgewater sells the 6. I would e-mail or call Bark's and ask what size dog they are serving. But that doesn't mean they will be honest. If they are misleading about a special recipe dog, then I wouldn't put it past them to not be honest about the size.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/29 07:14:20 (permalink)
    Ken, what if Bark ran out of Hartmann's hot dogs? How many of those Park Slope yuppies would know if Bark substituted these Karl Ehmer pork and beef 8 to a pound frankfurters, manufactured only a few miles away with no toll bridges to cross?:
    http://karlehmer.com/franks8pack.aspx

There are a number of companies in the NYC metro area that make natural casing, high quality pork and beef and all beef franks, plus Boars Head which no longer manufactures in Brooklyn but has plants around the country.

The cost structure of Bark's, with its eco-friendly policies, is such that it can't be compared to traditional hotdog emporiums.
    ken8038
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/29 10:13:37 (permalink)
    <<How many of those Park Slope yuppies would know if Bark substituted these Karl Ehmer pork and beef 8 to a pound frankfurters, manufactured only a few miles away with no toll bridges to cross?: >>

I'm sure they wouldn't know at all, but if Bark switched to Ehmer's then they wouldn't be able to claim that thier hot dogs are made by a "Austrian atrisan sausage maker upstate near the Adirondaks" (I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty close) which conjures up the image some old Austrian guy in a mountain woodshed putting together the dogs one by one based on a recipe that has been handed down since 1615 in Austria, or something. Of course the reality is nothing of the sort,   

<<The cost structure of Bark's, with its eco-friendly policies, is such that it can't be compared to traditional hotdog emporiums. >>

I wasn't implying that the prices should be compared to traditional hot dog emporiums. But even given the yuppie neighborhood and ecological points, $15 for two dogs and a soda is a little steep, IMHO anyway. And it can't be just because of the rent. I bought two large (and very tasty) subs from City Sub, a heck of a lot more food for the same $15. City Sub is just a few doors down from Bark, in a similar iszed space, so presumably the rents are similar.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the Bark Dogs and toppings and I would go back next time I'm in the area. Maybe a little later in the day and have one of those $4 craft beers too.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Bark Hot Dogs 2009/12/29 13:52:21 (permalink)
    Ken, I was composing my message while John Fox was composing his. I have to agree with John that Bark may switched to a smaller size. I found this picture in a New York Times review dated September, 2009:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/dining/reviews/30brief-002.html?scp=1&sq=bark%20hot%20dogs%20&st=cse
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1