Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA

Author
salembrewer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2003/03/02 22:29:44 (permalink)

Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA

As far as Boston area goes this is the place with history, right off of Harvard Square and serving burgers named after Presidents (The Clinton???). There are newcomers in the region that are building their reputation, and seem sure to become new classics in their own right. Keep your nostrils open...

16 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2003/03/03 07:51:32 (permalink)
    Order your burger with a bulky roll unless you like having the bun disintegrate before it's finished.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/05/30 16:26:22 (permalink)
    Bartley's is just okay, for me: I don't like the style of hamburger patty they specialize in, the slightly flattened sphere. In fact, I am convinced that my favorite burger place in Harvard Square, Flat Patties (in the Garage, on JFK Street), named itself that because they wanted to differentiate themselves from the softballs they serve at Bartley's!

Regardless, the best burgers around here are at Wild Willy's, on Arsenal just outside of Watertown Square.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/01 11:04:16 (permalink)
    Careful, LB, Wild Willy's has 3 locations. You don't won't to start a riot about moving this thread to FFF limbo, do you?
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/01 14:38:34 (permalink)
    Oh? Where did the third one open? I only know Watertown and York.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/01 15:03:45 (permalink)
    Website lists a third on Rte. 125 in Rochester, NH. Wow! not only 3 locations, but 3 states, we're talking empire, here.

bigdog540
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/01 15:25:03 (permalink)
    I tried the Rochester location last fall. Not anywhere near the quality of the other locations. I should have known there would be a problem when they didn't ask how I wanted the burger cooked. In York they always cook to order. I had to interject that I wanted it rare, got it served well-done anyway. Fries were cold and soggy. I will stop again to give them a second chance, but if there's no improvement I'd say stay with the other two locations.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/01 15:27:39 (permalink)
    Good to know if I ever find myself on the Maine border with no other options, but honestly, I can't see myself eating anywhere in Rochester when the Friendly Toast is only 20 miles down the road in Portsmouth!

As good as Wild Willy's is, there's still not a single truly transcendent burger in the Boston area as far as I'm concerned. I occasionally have this daydream where I'm tooling around Medford or some other town I'm not very familiar with and I suddenly stumble upon a lone Whataburger outpost, put here by a fellow Texan who's as homesick as I am for the burgers of his youth.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/02 04:44:42 (permalink)
    LB, You might want to try Tim's Tavern on Columbus Ave. in the So. End or PF O'Sullivans Beacon St. Sommerville both spots truley great burgers. Chow Jim
    Ashphalt
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/02 12:36:07 (permalink)
    Jim, I've been meaning to try both. Isn't P.F. O'Sullivans famous for huge burgers, more like the "flattened sphere" LB says he doesn't prefer? How does Tim's compare?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/06/03 05:13:21 (permalink)
    Ash, PF O'Sullivans I wouldn't call them a flattend sphere they refuse to flatten the burgers after flipping them on the grill. It leaves the juices in the burger wich is great with me. Although a little more expensive a very good burger and worth the trip. Tim's Tavern great burger cheap price but the place use to be a little seedy and not the cleanest joint around. Although I haven't been there in sometime they were recently closed for sometime due to remodeling, a little Board of Health thing. I plan on getting back to Tim's within the next week or so, I just hope they didn't take too much of the seedy out of it. I'll report back. Chow Jim
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2397
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2006/07/29 12:24:49 (permalink)
    Can't say I've ever been a fan of Bartley's burgers. I've been there a number of times. Two for burgers and the rest for other really good food. Their burgers are almost raw on the inside and charred outside. I like a medium burger that isn't blackened on the outside. Thanks. Try Sunset Grill on Brighton Ave.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2007/10/04 09:27:41 (permalink)
    I posted today about Raspberry Lime Rickeys in the local drinks thread... and mentioned Bartley's.

I do NOT understand the lack of love for this place!!! I have been a burger eater for 40+ years and have a Berkeley CA palate... I'm *picky* about my burgers and I honestly don't like "almost raw on the inside and charred outside", and NEVER in 15 years of frequenting Bartley's have I been served a burger like that!!!! [And I am a medium-rare ordering gal.]

I think they have a fantastic huge menu, which is very funny to boot. [See here: http://www.mrbartley.com/mrbartleys-menu.html] They have great "Cajun sweet potato fries" (no one else around has these as good, IMHO) and other great stuff.

I remain extremely disappointed that Bartley's is missing from the list of Roadfood.com reviewed restaurants in Massachusetts. I'm a fan and will stay one til they serve me a burger like the naysayers here claim. Even then I'll probably stay a fan. Great menu, great atmosphere, good staff last I checked and a fun experience.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2007/10/04 09:55:02 (permalink)
    As a bit of trivia, does anyone else remember that they changed the name for a brief time in the late 70s/early 80s when they started serving salads?

It was Mr. and Mrs. Bartley's Burger and Salad Cottage.

I think the name was too big to fit the shop.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2397
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2007/10/04 15:14:01 (permalink)
    Ya gotta get out there with the camera and start snappin' some pics. That's what I've been doing and I love it. If you're not a shutterbug, find a friend with a camera, buy 'em dinner on the condition that they bring their camera along.

quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

I posted today about Raspberry Lime Rickeys in the local drinks thread... and mentioned Bartley's.

I do NOT understand the lack of love for this place!!! I have been a burger eater for 40+ years and have a Berkeley CA palate... I'm *picky* about my burgers and I honestly don't like "almost raw on the inside and charred outside", and NEVER in 15 years of frequenting Bartley's have I been served a burger like that!!!! [And I am a medium-rare ordering gal.]

I think they have a fantastic huge menu, which is very funny to boot. [See here: http://www.mrbartley.com/mrbartleys-menu.html] They have great "Cajun sweet potato fries" (no one else around has these as good, IMHO) and other great stuff.

I remain extremely disappointed that Bartley's is missing from the list of Roadfood.com reviewed restaurants in Massachusetts. I'm a fan and will stay one til they serve me a burger like the naysayers here claim. Even then I'll probably stay a fan. Great menu, great atmosphere, good staff last I checked and a fun experience.

Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2007/10/05 11:15:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Bartley's burgers. I've been there a number of times. Two for burgers and the rest for other really good food. Their burgers are almost raw on the inside and charred outside. I like a medium burger that isn't blackened on the outside. Thanks. Try Sunset Grill on Brighton Ave.

Raw Meat!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm....
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Bartley's Burger Cottage Cambridge, MA 2007/10/07 16:41:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Ya gotta get out there with the camera and start snappin' some pics. That's what I've been doing and I love it. If you're not a shutterbug, find a friend with a camera, buy 'em dinner on the condition that they bring their camera along.

LOL! Billyboy my friends would all laugh at such a comment directed at me. I am a prolific photographer (since studying it in college) but rarely take pictures of my everyday haunts. In fact until recently I rarely took pics of food. Today I did take some at a Roadfood stop... they'll probably go in a breakfast thread.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1