Baseball Trip Complete!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/27 07:43:52 (permalink)
I actually love going to an Expo game. It feels like they're playing for you. Obviously, great seat. Way above average stadium food. Smoked meat sandwiches. Affordable Canadian beer. The stadium makes the game feel like you're watching pinball. But it makes it charming. 70's kitsch. If you haven't done so, journey up to Montreal. It's definitely different. Their team this year is not half bad either.
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/07 19:38:51 (permalink)
Two baseball road food experiences not to miss: Across from the Aberdeen Amtrak station, you'll see the New Ideal Diner. This place has the BEST crabcakes I've ever had. I don't say such things lightly, and I know this is the heart of crabcake country. But if you're in town to catch Cal's minor league club (or the Ripken museaum, across the street), you'll have an amazing culinary experience in a real, not faux, 1940s era diner.

Also, if you haven't tried the garlic fries at an Oakland A's game, they're the best I've had in Northern California. More garlic than fries, really.
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/12 00:00:06 (permalink)
Rock Bottom is a chain. We have one in Milwaukee. Blah.

P.S. Pirate Vs. Italian Sausage. Sausage goes down. Scandal! Well, wurst case scenario (ahem), Pirate has to run a sausage race! Down with pierogi, up with the sausage!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/12 10:03:01 (permalink)
The Pirates and Brewers actually ARE going to have a perogies vs the sausages race sometime in the near future...NOW it will have national coverage....
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/12 10:25:56 (permalink)
Baseball and roadfood - now that's an unbeatable combination! You know how to live, Wandering Jew.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/13 14:23:49 (permalink)
..and don't forget if you are in Rochester, Nick Tahous is literally just around the block from the local ballpark...
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/13 16:34:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

The Pirates and Brewers actually ARE going to have a perogies vs the sausages race sometime in the near future...NOW it will have national coverage....

Friday, Aug. 22, I've already got my tickets. I was at Miller Park for the attack last Wednesday, I am looking forward to a (sort of) rematch!

I don't remember seeing a ballpark close to Nick Tahous, but that sounds like as good a reason as any for a return trip at some point. Do you know what local team plays there?
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/13 19:47:04 (permalink)
You were probably out at the Nicks out by the airport..I am talking about the original Nicks downtown...The Rochester Red Wings [AAA International League] play in downtown Rochester..you can see the park from the I490 loop highway when it goes thru town...
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/07/13 21:11:01 (permalink)
I recall reading a book called "From Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks" quite a few years ago. As I remember, it described the best food to be had at each major ballpark and was a fun read. I will have to dig it out and reread it.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/16 16:32:45 (permalink)
Was just at the New Ideal Diner after watching some of the Cal Ripken Little League World Series, and while we didn't have the crabcakes, it is a really neat place and worth a stop -- looks like things haven't changed there in fifty years (and that is not a bad thing). They also offered broiled chicken livers on toast, as well as schad roe on toast. All looked delicious. For some strange reason, I ordered the moussaka, which was ok ... so I can't really comment on the food.
quote:
Originally posted by wrfc5

Two baseball road food experiences not to miss: Across from the Aberdeen Amtrak station, you'll see the New Ideal Diner. This place has the BEST crabcakes I've ever had. I don't say such things lightly, and I know this is the heart of crabcake country. But if you're in town to catch Cal's minor league club (or the Ripken museaum, across the street), you'll have an amazing culinary experience in a real, not faux, 1940s era diner.

Also, if you haven't tried the garlic fries at an Oakland A's game, they're the best I've had in Northern California. More garlic than fries, really.

BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/16 17:55:37 (permalink)
Going to a Giant's game at SBC Park? Skip the lines and overpriced food in the stadium and grab a burger or several at the Java House right next door: http://www.javahousesf.com/
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/16 18:04:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

Don't buy those plane tickets just yet Andy, that is, unless you'll settle for seeing the Trailblazers. But hey, that's not a bad idea either.

As it stands, NoVa is the odds-on favorite in the Expos derby.
It gives a little breathing room to the Orioles' owner, who's screaming bloody murder about the notion of having a team down the road in DC, and the financing and tv market in NoVa is lightyears beyond Portland's. Still, as we've seen in recent years, nobody knows how these things will play out.

When I was growing up in the Montgomery County burbs of DC, Washington had the Senators and Baltimore had the Orioles and I don't recall there being a problem. My recollection is the seats in Griffith Stadium were plenty full and later they were full enough in Baltimore's old memorial Stadium too. And the population of both metro areas is much larger now, so it ought to be less of a problem.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/16 21:01:55 (permalink)
We'll be inSAFECO next week- I hear the Ivars Fish and the Garlic Fries are musts along with some local brewery offerings- I'll let you know on my return-If anyone has any suggestions- Im all ears! We've been to Fenway, Yankee, Shea, the Old Vets Stadium & SkyDome. When I was much younger, I was at Candlestick and the AstroDome. We've also been to the old exhibition stadium in Toronto- saton the 50 yard line for a baseball game!

Wandering Jew- your trip sounded great and we are yankee fans too, so you're not alone!
long dog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/17 21:19:50 (permalink)
My son and I just got back over the weekend from our 2nd annual baseball trip.

Last year - Colorado at Montreal, Rochester at Syracuse (AAA), Cooperstown Hall of Fame, Trenton at Binghamton (AA)

This year - Los Angeles at Cincinnati, Toronto at Cleveland, San Francisco at Pittsburgh

Throw in Cedar Point, King's Island, the Indy Speedway and 4 Hard Rock Cafe's in 7 days.

Ate at all 3 ballparks:
3 way Skyline Chili, a dog and a brat in Cinci
a dog and a brat in Cleveland - best thing about it was the mustard!
nachos and a dog in Pittsburgh

none of these dogs can come close to the Northeast

other roadfood sites visited:
Mug N Bun in Indy, and The O in Pittsburgh

I think this makes 11 major league parks that my 12 yr. old has been to, and 6 different ones this season although 2 of them are repeaters.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/21 00:43:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Julia,

You suggested that baseball and roadfood would make a good idea for a book. You are correct. It's a great idea and has been done. The book is called "Fodors Ballpark Vacations" and the authors are Bruce Adams and Peggy Engel. It's in it's 3rd printing. Here's the story.

In 1991, my friend Bruce Adams, myself and 2 others set off on "The Middle AGed Boys of Summer 1991 Roadtrip". Our itinerary took us from the Baltimore-Washington area (our home) to 10 games in 9 days in 9 different major league ballparks. We hit Cincinnati (DH), Chicago (Sox), Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago (Cubbies), Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. We hit a few State Capitals along the way (Bruce is political too), the Roller Coaster Capital of the US, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio, and made every stop we could at any food place mentioned in Jane and Michael Stern's "Roadfood" or "Goodfood".

In '92 the MABOS set off to the Northeast, adding a few minor league parks too. New York Yankees, Pawtucket, Boston, Cooperstown, Oneonta, Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Binghamton, and the Little League World Series. Highlights were the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, the home of Buffalo Wings, and "spiedies' at Sharkeys in Binghamton. The lowlight was Brooks BBQ in Oneonta -- It was Monday and they were closed. I still haven't been there.

1993 took us to California. Candlestick in the fog, Pacific Coast Highway and Hearst Castle, Chavez Ravine, Anaheim, San Diego, the Zoo, Stockton, Sacramento, San Jose, and finally, Oakland. I think Visalia, too. By this time my copy of Roadfood was pretty dogeared. It's a good thing a few new editions came down the pike.

1994 found Bruce running a long and hard political campaign which ultimately was unsuccessful -- so no trip. In '95 with lots of free time, Bruce and his wife, Margaret (Peggy) Engel, and kids Emily and Hugh, packed up the old minivan and headed north south east and west to major and minor league ballparks, amusement parks, and any other place worth stopping. They were at it all summer and ate lots of roadfood, spending the advance they had received from Fodors for the book. Peggy is a professional journalist and had already written the book "Food Finds" with her twin sister Alison. The TV show FOOD FINDS, inspired by that book, has been running on the Food Network for several seasons.

"Ballpark Vacations" is divided into chapters that are geared to a family spending 3-5 days in one geographic area. It has info on the teams and ballparks, neaby notable historic and tourist attractions, amusement parks, and locally owned unique roadfood establishments.

I'm ready for another big roadtrip. Wandering Jew and NY Andy, are you game?

Brooks BBQ in Oneonta is perhaps the best chicken in the world, and it'a almost FREE. I lived in Oneonta for 9 years as a kid and this place has always been my favorite place. I order their chicken sauce so I can make it at home, but it's never really the same. There is a place in Clifton Park, NY called Giffy's that tries to duplicate the menu and taste, but it's not quite the same. The BBQ sauce used by Brooks is sometimes called "Cornell BBQ Chicken".
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3966
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/26 20:02:31 (permalink)
Just went to Angels Stadium in Anaheim on Monday-----much nicer now that it's owned by a baseball fan rather then Disney Corp. This time, instead of eating dogs at our seats----we stopped by the "Knothole Club" for dinner. Surprisingly good, baby back ribs on a par with places like Tony Romas (no, it's not real Q, but good nonetheless) and with decent prices and good portions. Burgers looked good too---I heard raves about them as well as the salmon. Real drinks there as well as a decent variety of tap beer-------nice to have Pyramid at the game. All in all, a very nice dinner. Plus, the Angels won!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/26 23:40:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Just went to Angels Stadium in Anaheim on Monday-----much nicer now that it's owned by a baseball fan rather then Disney Corp. This time, instead of eating dogs at our seats----we stopped by the "Knothole Club" for dinner. Surprisingly good, baby back ribs on a par with places like Tony Romas (no, it's not real Q, but good nonetheless) and with decent prices and good portions. Burgers looked good too---I heard raves about them as well as the salmon. Real drinks there as well as a decent variety of tap beer-------nice to have Pyramid at the game. All in all, a very nice dinner. Plus, the Angels won!

When, thanks to the Gulf War I, I got "stuck" in Honolulu for 6 weeks, I used to eat at Tony Roma's because I got way tired of Japanese food (which I like but not every night) and expensive pseudo-Polynesian food and Tony's was one of the few decent alternatives in Waikiki. So I, at least, forgive you. Besides, being "like" a chain isn't the same as actually being a chain.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2004/08/27 13:07:00 (permalink)
Note to future road-trippers: As an ex-New Yorker "weined" on Nathan's Famous, my taste buds were overjoyed at the grill-bursting meatiness of those Denver Colorado "Rockies Dogs." And not a bad seat in the park, either, in which to enjoy them and the game. (Guaranteed 10 runs every time). - Rusty
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1