Baseball Trip Complete!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2003/06/01 16:26:19 (permalink)

Baseball Trip Complete!

Just got back to Rhode Island yesterday. I am going to attempt to post some reviews in the very near future of a few places. But will provide an overview of the places I went to in chronological order.
May 23-Cincinnati- Lunch. Camp Washington Chili. A Bowl of five way and two cheese coneys. Fantastic as always.
Dinner. Two skyline cheese coneys at the ball park. Not bad,
can't hold a candle to Camp Washington.
May 24-Chicago- Lunch. Mr. Beef. An italian beef/sausage combo hot and sweet. Who says you can't have it both ways.
Dinner- Gino's East. A small deep dish with sausage. Deep Dish heaven but I could only do 3/4 of the pie.
May 25- Milwaukee- Lunch-Bratwurst at the ball park. They say the best in major league baseball, their probably right. Couldn't find any cheese curds at Miller Park, their website said they had them, guess they lied
Dinner. Chuck's place in Thiensville , about 15 miles north of Milwaukee.. Three girls at this bar in Thiensville recommended this place. Nice family style restaurant. Had the Sheboygan Brat which I've never had before and also had fried cheese, they werent' curds though. The fried cheese came with a ketchup based dipping sauce which was quite "interesting"
Desert- Kopps Frozen Custard. 14% butterfat...WOW! It was grasshopper fudge day. Two scoops!!
May 26-Milwaukee Breakfast. Kringle from the OH Bakery which I picked up the day before in Racine Wisconsin
Des Moines- Lunch- Bratwurst at the Ballpark- So So
Dinner- Iowa Machine Shed. Iowa Stuffed Chop Dinner. I've been there before and had looked forward to returning. I usually don't eat pork chops, but if I lived in Des Moines, that's probably all I would eat. Surprisingly the bread basket contained small cinamon rolls this time too. This was an added bonus! I was saving desert for Sour Cream Pie at Bakers Cafeteria, however they were surprisingly closed for Memorial Day, even though when I called the week before, they said they would be open. Oh Well
May 27-Des Moines Breakfast. Kirkwood Corner Cafe. They just don't make Cinammon Rolls like this back east!
Kansas City-Lunch- Gates BBQ, this was my second choice after I found out that Sneads is not open on Tuesdays. The short end ribs and beans don't dissapoint. The fries were nothing special
Dinner- Strouds. I am convinced that elephants and hippos are consulted to determine the portion size for each meal. I could only finish 1/2 of my fried chicken dinner which included cottage fries, green beans, cinammon rolls and salad with real homemade blue cheese dressing. Of course desert was out of the question.
May 28- Newton KS Lunch(about 25 miles north of Wichita- The Breadbasket. I am absolutely surprised that the Sterns have never been here. A country style cafe on the high plains in downtown Newton. Service is Cafeteria Style. Fresh Breads, Soup and extremely diverse salad bar. Also had Bierocks! These are similar to Runzas in Nebraska, however the Bierocks at the Bread Basket just simply blow Runzas away. I got there early because I understand they sell out by late afternoon.
Dinner- Oklahoma City OK. Dinner. Leo's BBQ. If you don't mind dining with flies, the BBQ Brisket and Beans are un freakin believable. The strawberry banana cake was ok too.
May 29- Edmonds (just north of OK City) Lunch- Steves Ribs. Cleaner and newer than Leo's. Good BBQ but not as good as Leo's.
Dinner- St. Louis. Rigazzi's. Cold dissapointing toasted Ravioli's, good red sauce, had a very good antipasto salad though.
Dessert- Ted Drewes. Banana Chip Concrete........Enough said
May 30- Indianapolis IN. Lunch. Mug n Bun. So this is a breaded pork tenderloin. I thought it was really good, and am quite surprised that there is better out there. Also had the potato wedges and Root Beer.
Cleveland OH-Dinner. Soklowski's University Inn. This is the other place I'm surprised the Sterns never visited. A polish style eatery with cafeteria service and a nice dining room. Had fresh fried perch that was out of this world, the best pierogies in Cleveland and a gigantic slice of carrot cake. Dinner includes salad bar which is also rather diverse.
May 31- Pittsburgh- Lunch. Stopped at the new suburban Primanti's in my old stomping grounds in Pittsburgh before flying back. Since I have a fear of flying I always thought of Primanti's as an appropriate place for my last meal

47 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/01 19:05:55 (permalink)
    Wanderingjew,
    Man! You' battin' 1.000 - well, nearly about! - Thank you immensely for your most enjoyable traveloguesque post.
    Why don't we start a thread for Roadtrips? I can contribute directly.
    Inquizitively, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/02 21:14:42 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-

Sounds like it was great baseball/food trip!
    Fried perch and pierogies! Gotta love Cleveland.
    I grew up around Polish friends, so you have to
    understand my pleasure. Let me get his straight.
    Wisconsin leg of trip:
    1. Bratwurst
    2. Bratwurst/fried cheese
    3. Kopp's custard
    4. Danish kringle

If you saved your receipts, I'm pretty sure the Wisconsin
    Board of Tourism will send you a coupon for a free
    angioplasty at the physician of your choosing. Don't
    let them cheap out on you!

Seriously though, I can't think of a better spring midwest trip.
    By the way, who is your pet team(Pro or minor league)?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 07:35:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brianh

wanderingjew-

Sounds like it was great baseball/food trip!
    Fried perch and pierogies! Gotta love Cleveland.
    I grew up around Polish friends, so you have to
    understand my pleasure. Let me get his straight.
    Wisconsin leg of trip:
    1. Bratwurst
    2. Bratwurst/fried cheese
    3. Kopp's custard
    4. Danish kringle

If you saved your receipts, I'm pretty sure the Wisconsin
    Board of Tourism will send you a coupon for a free
    angioplasty at the physician of your choosing. Don't
    let them cheap out on you!

Seriously though, I can't think of a better spring midwest trip.
    By the way, who is your pet team(Pro or minor league)?

Luckily I had a routine blood test before I left. My cholesterol is 180 so I'm safe. Of course since I grew up on Long Island I'll always be a diehard YANKEES fan. Hope no one hates me for that!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 07:38:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1

Holy crap! I hope you're planning on a few weeks of salad and fruit to purge your system!

That sounds like an awesome trip. You didn't mention which stadiums you hit. I'm off on my short trip in 2 weeks, I hope to report here as well.

I hit the following ball parks in this order
    1. The new Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati
    2. Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field) in Chicago
    3. Miller Park in Milwaukee
    4. Sec Taylor Stadium in Des Moines (AAA for Chicago Cubs)
    5. Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City
    6. Bricktown Ball Park in Oklahoma City (AAA for Texas Rangers)
    7. Jacobs Field in Cleveland (I've been here once before)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 08:36:45 (permalink)
    Wandering, color me green with envy about your baseball trip. I am curious if you had time to visit Rod Beck when you were in Des Moines. For those who don't know, the ex-Giant and Cub closer is currently living in an RV behind the stadium. And anyone who wants to, can go share a beer with him after the game, at least until the neon martini glass in his window goes out. Or more likely, when he runs out of beer!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 09:24:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Wandering, color me green with envy about your baseball trip. I am curious if you had time to visit Rod Beck when you were in Des Moines. For those who don't know, the ex-Giant and Cub closer is currently living in an RV behind the stadium. And anyone who wants to, can go share a beer with him after the game, at least until the neon martini glass in his window goes out. Or more likely, when he runs out of beer!

Had no idea Rod Beck was living in an RV behind Sec Taylor. Wonder what made him choose to set up camp in Des Moines?
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 11:31:36 (permalink)
    For any of you in your baseball travels, I know it's only Class A, but Phil Elfstrom Stadium in Geneva, Il. has the best grilled pork chops around. All the food is good but if you get down wind from those grills, mmmm, you can't resist. They say their secret is maininating the chops in pineapple juice over night. The team is the Kane County Cougars, a franchise of the Marlins in case that matters.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/03 13:53:04 (permalink)
    quote:

I'll be hitting in this order:

1. Victory Field, Indianapolis
    2. Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati
    3. Veterans Administration Memorial Stadium, Chillicothe, OH
    4. Slugger Field, Louisville

By the end of my trip, I will have over 100 ballparks (and a few tons of roadfood) under my belt.

Regarding Rod Beck...he's been picked up by the Padres, so as of today, don't go looking for him in Des Moines. If he's got anything left in that arm, he should step right into the closer's role.

I've been to both Victory and Slugger field 3 years ago. Both are really nice triple A parks. Great American in Cincinatti was kind of a let down. Mediocre at best. Hey at least there's real grass there and is a definite improvement over Riverfront which I also visited 3 years ago.

For a really good Kentucky Hot Brown go to Kunz's Restaurant in downtown Louisville
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3764
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 06:23:43 (permalink)
    This week, our annual baseball journey ensues. Me and a buddy are off to the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. Being true baseball junkies, we immediately realized that we were ONLY 200 miles from the nearest major league city, Kansas City (insert your own joke here). So, we fly into Omaha, drive to KC, catch Arthur Bryant's for dinner, then the D-backs/Royals. Then, it is back to Omaha! From what I understand, my choices for eating establishments include places that specialize in meat, meat, and more meat. I am relatively young, though, so my body will have enough time before my heart explodes. If I catch anything worth yapping about, I will update.

And, I like the idea of a ballpark food thread. I am sure that there are enough baseball and food fans out there to make that work. I am sure we all know to get a Dodger Dog at Chavez Ravine, but, is there a specialty of the house at Kaufman Stadium? Which stadiums offer the best "value" (I guess it is all relative if you have to spend $10+ for a dog and a beer) for the food. I caught Minute Maid Park earlier this yr, and I thought the food seemed reasonably priced, but nothing seemed exceptional. I was sitting in the OF bleachers, though, maybe if I bought better seats, there would have been more food options.

Steve
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 08:17:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

I am sure we all know to get a Dodger Dog at Chavez Ravine, but, is there a specialty of the house at Kaufman Stadium?
    Steve

Steve,

Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat at Kaufmann Stadium. The belly buster of a meal at Stroud's did me in for the night, however Gates BBQ does have a concession stand at the Ball Park. If it's anything like the lunch I had at Gates that afternoon then you can't go wrong!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 10:30:22 (permalink)
    Like I said, we are going to Arthur Bryant's, as this is my first trip ever to KC, so I don't imagine I will be looking for ballpark food, myself.

Steve
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 12:06:14 (permalink)
    Wouldn't the whole idea of baseball stadiums and the food in and around them make a great idea for a book? I would be the first in line to buy something like that. I have been to a few different stadiums. The most unusual thing that I have seen were the Rocky Mountain Oysters at Coors Field in Denver. Sorry, didn't try them. My home stadium is Miller Park in Milwaukee. I have tickets to the game tomorrow. I think I hear a brat with brown mustard and sauerkraut calling my name. . .

wanderingjew, did you get a chance to see the Great Sausage Race when you were at Miller Park?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 12:17:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Julia I

Wouldn't the whole idea of baseball stadiums and the food in and around them make a great idea for a book? I would be the first in line to buy something like that. I have been to a few different stadiums. The most unusual thing that I have seen were the Rocky Mountain Oysters at Coors Field in Denver. Sorry, didn't try them. My home stadium is Miller Park in Milwaukee. I have tickets to the game tomorrow. I think I hear a brat with brown mustard and sauerkraut calling my name. . .

wanderingjew, did you get a chance to see the Great Sausage Race when you were at Miller Park?

Yes, I also got a kick out of the seventh inning stretch when everyone sings "roll out the barrel". However the great pierogi race in Pittsburgh cannot be beat! In fact when the race is announced it is deliberately announced in the Pittsburghese dialect. I was hoping they would have done the same in Milwaukee and and have the race announced in "Wiscaahnsinese"
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 12:41:33 (permalink)
    For me, the most unusal Ball-Park food was at Anaheim Stadium..Sushi choices wider than most non-SoCal oriental restaurants.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/09 13:49:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Yes, I also got a kick out of the seventh inning stretch when everyone sings "roll out the barrel". However the great pierogi race in Pittsburgh cannot be beat! In fact when the race is announced it is deliberately announced in the Pittsburghese dialect. I was hoping they would have done the same in Milwaukee and and have the race announced in "Wiscaahnsinese"

"Beer Barrell Polka" is a much better seventh inning tradition than "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" In Baltimore. What are those people thinking?

We did Milwaukee last year. We got off the plane in MLW, drove from the airport to the stadium, parked and found a group of tailgaters in the parking lot that were quick to offer up an authentic Milwaukee Brat -- regular or spicy, just for the walking by. Friendly folks up there. Not bad, though, plane to ballpark to free eats in the parking lot -- just under 30 minutes!

Two more wake-ups till we leave for Omaha!

Steve
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/10 02:00:45 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I've heard about that race. Isn't there a lot of shoving or something? The new park in Pittsburgh looks really nice, I keep planning on making a visit. I'd like to see the race. Well, may the best food win on August 22 at Miller Park. The Pirates will be there, and so will the pierogi! "Be on hand to witness the Brewers/Klement's Racing Sausages face the Pirates/Mrs. P's Pierogies during the game." This is gonna be good, how often do you have a chance to see your favorite foods duke it out?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 12:06:43 (permalink)
    quote:

Just got back from my annual baseball roadtrip. 3 words...RAIN RAIN RAIN. Has it been raining non-stop EVERYWHERE for the past 3 weeks? Anyway, I saw some great baseball, and ate a lot of great food:

June 13: Indianapolis.
    Lunch at MUG N BUN. Very cool place. Really unique. The homemade root beer was outstanding, but the food was pretty so-so. Had my first fried tenderloin, and I agree with wnaderingjew, it was nothing to jump up and down about. Excellent onion rings.
    Dinner at DODD'S TOWN HOUSE. We did take out and had a picnic at Victory Field. OUTSTANDING fried chicken. Among the best I've ever had. Great sides, particularly the cole slaw. Had my first taste of Red Velvet Cake, which was very very good. My buddy had the Black Raspberry pie, which was also top notch.

June 14: Cincinnati.
    Lunch at CAMP WASHINGTON CHILI. It was every bit as good as I had heard. Never had that type of chili before. I wish it would catch on in NYC. Had a plate of 5-way and a chili-cheese coney. WOW! Great stuff. I tasted undertones of chocolate and cinnimon in the chili. Is that possible? My buddy doesn't eat red meat so he had a 4 way: spaghetti, beans, onions, cheese. The waitress laughed in his face, but was a good sport about it.
    Dinner at ROCK BOTTOM BREWERY. After sitting in the rain at Great American Ballpark for 3 hours, we just wanted to get into dry clothes and get some dinner, so we hit this brewpub in fountain square right across from our hotel. Thumbs down. It was TGI Fridays with decent beer. Crappy menu, lots of fried cheese and dumb mall food. Not a chain, but acts like it.
    Breakfast the next day in a cafe up on the hill (Mount Adams?). Had goetta for the first time. Kinda gross actually in my taste. Kinda like a fried greasy mixture of oats and pork.
    Once on the road, we hit THE ROOT BEER STANDin Sharonville, Ohio. Best root beer I've ever had. Really. Awesome. Good popcorn there too.

June 15: Chillicothe, OH
    Game cancelled. Field torn up by 5 days of rain. HUGE dissapointment. Made our way to Portsmouth, OH to get some sleep. Ate at a place called Damon's Ribs. Decent enough ribs, but again, laminated menus and corporate food. It was literally the ONLY restaurant open at 10pm on Sunday in the area. Big video screens to watch the NBA finals...they were redeemed.

June 16: The Road to Louisville
    Breakfast in Vanceburg, KY. Tiny pizza restaurant was our only option. Pizza for breakfast in the middle of Kentucky! Didn't remotely resemble real pizza, but was fresh and delicious. Freindly folk there too.
    Lunch at the BROWN HOTELin Louisville. Finally had a hot brown!!! Delicious, but hardly the feast I was expecting. Still had an appetite when I left. Just made it for the doubleheader at Slugger Field. I HAD to try the fried bologna sandwich, and it was pretty tasty. Fried onions and all. By the second game I was ready for more, so I had the pork chop sandwich from the BBQ stand. Pretty tasty for ballpark food. Then...the skies opened again, and the second game was called. Drove back to Indianapolis for a good night's sleep before an early morning flight back to NY.

Short trip this year, but good baseball and some GREAT Roadfood.

Sorry to hear the weather didn't work out for you. The only rain I experienced on my trip was on the last leg of my trip in Cleveland. The game went on, Cleveland beat the White Sox, had to check my umbrella at the "Jake" but still stayed dry because my seat was "under cover"

What did you think of The Great American Ball Park
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 16:57:42 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's a funny thing about the new parks. I've been in at least a half-dozen of 'em and it's mostly a blur. Some good has come out it though, namely a trend toward in-town locations and natural grass fields. And I don't think anyone will ever get nostalgiac for the parks that were razed.
    quote:

What did you think of The Great American Ball Park

I liked it well enough. I'm not a huge fan of the new ballparks. They all seem so similar...the NEW cookiecutters. Nice sightlines, good access, but nothing so spectacular. The placement of the videoboard was weird, in left field. If you're sitting on the 3rd base side, you have to crane your neck a lot. I didn't eat at the game, but it looked like a pretty good selection. Nice wide concourses.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 18:16:39 (permalink)
    Julia,

You suggested that baseball and roadfood would make a good idea for a book. You are correct. It's a great idea and has been done. The book is called "Fodors Ballpark Vacations" and the authors are Bruce Adams and Peggy Engel. It's in it's 3rd printing. Here's the story.

In 1991, my friend Bruce Adams, myself and 2 others set off on "The Middle AGed Boys of Summer 1991 Roadtrip". Our itinerary took us from the Baltimore-Washington area (our home) to 10 games in 9 days in 9 different major league ballparks. We hit Cincinnati (DH), Chicago (Sox), Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago (Cubbies), Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. We hit a few State Capitals along the way (Bruce is political too), the Roller Coaster Capital of the US, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio, and made every stop we could at any food place mentioned in Jane and Michael Stern's "Roadfood" or "Goodfood".

In '92 the MABOS set off to the Northeast, adding a few minor league parks too. New York Yankees, Pawtucket, Boston, Cooperstown, Oneonta, Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Binghamton, and the Little League World Series. Highlights were the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, the home of Buffalo Wings, and "spiedies' at Sharkeys in Binghamton. The lowlight was Brooks BBQ in Oneonta -- It was Monday and they were closed. I still haven't been there.

1993 took us to California. Candlestick in the fog, Pacific Coast Highway and Hearst Castle, Chavez Ravine, Anaheim, San Diego, the Zoo, Stockton, Sacramento, San Jose, and finally, Oakland. I think Visalia, too. By this time my copy of Roadfood was pretty dogeared. It's a good thing a few new editions came down the pike.

1994 found Bruce running a long and hard political campaign which ultimately was unsuccessful -- so no trip. In '95 with lots of free time, Bruce and his wife, Margaret (Peggy) Engel, and kids Emily and Hugh, packed up the old minivan and headed north south east and west to major and minor league ballparks, amusement parks, and any other place worth stopping. They were at it all summer and ate lots of roadfood, spending the advance they had received from Fodors for the book. Peggy is a professional journalist and had already written the book "Food Finds" with her twin sister Alison. The TV show FOOD FINDS, inspired by that book, has been running on the Food Network for several seasons.

"Ballpark Vacations" is divided into chapters that are geared to a family spending 3-5 days in one geographic area. It has info on the teams and ballparks, neaby notable historic and tourist attractions, amusement parks, and locally owned unique roadfood establishments.

I'm ready for another big roadtrip. Wandering Jew and NY Andy, are you game?
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 18:32:47 (permalink)
    A roadfood moment: Brunch was two all the way at Lafayette Coney Island, then a day game at then-brand-new Comerica Park, walking distance away.
    Mmm.

Is there anyplace to get an RF-quality Polish Dog or Italian Beef near Wrigley?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 20:36:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Hey, I've already e-mailed NY Andy about this. Load up the cooler, I'm up for another baseball road trip
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 20:38:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry Abraham

A roadfood moment: Brunch was two all the way at Lafayette Coney Island, then a day game at then-brand-new Comerica Park, walking distance away.
    Mmm.

Is there anyplace to get an RF-quality Polish Dog or Italian Beef near Wrigley?

There's a bunch of places near Wrigley that sell Italian Beefs and Polish Dogs, I didn't try any in the area, however I'm sure you'll be able to tell by the crowd if it's game day!
    signman
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 20:53:35 (permalink)
    Andy, Amtrak has a stop right in Aberdeen. After the game we'll drive up to Wilmington or Philly for a few cheesesteaks and hoagies.

Feel like posting more of your root beer experiences on the root beer thread under miscellaneous??? Thanks.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 21:42:37 (permalink)
    You guys are close to Beacon, NY., home of the Renegades - give them a try. Beacon is sudenly interesting: the Dia Art Center has brought the place to life; new restaurants, galleries, etc. Hop a train out of Grand Central and in 40 minutes you're in Beacon.

I envy you guys your love of baseball and your great trips you make in pursuit of the game - keep us informed of your trips - they are real fun for us TV sports fans to read about.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/19 23:29:17 (permalink)
    signman, thanks for the info! I'll have to look for the most recent edition of Ballpark Vacations. It will take me a lot longer to make it to most parks. My job isn't usually too compatible with lots of time off in the summer. But there is always spring. . .
    signman
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/21 00:38:16 (permalink)
    Julia, The book has been renamed Fodor's Baseball Vacations. It's usually in the travel section of the big chain bookstores at the beginning of the US section where the miscellaneous guide books are.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/22 07:59:31 (permalink)
    Might be one more park in the near future. The decision on relocating Montreal, to either DC/Northern Virginia or Portland, should come down sometime in the next few weeks. A DC team will start off at RFK Stadium with a new park to follow in a year or two. I imagine Portland has a similar existing-to-new plan in effect.

If Selig and the relocation committee break habit and make a decision based on common sense, the team formerly known as the Expos will be playing in front of a new hometown crowd in April 2004.
    quote:

quote:

With Great American under my belt, I've now been to every current major league park, as well as 10 that have since closed. I've also been to about 70 minor league parks or spring training parks. Looking forward to new parks in Philly and San Diego in 2004, but after that....well it looks like the grand era of new ballparks is over.

Interestingly, I haven't been to the closest minor league parks to my home: Coney island, Staten Island, Newark, Ternton, Montclaire, Atlantic City, Aberdeen, and a whole bunch in CT. I gotta buy a car someday!
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/25 20:09:38 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Hey, I've already e-mailed NY Andy about this. Load up the cooler, I'm up for another baseball road trip

Need a navigator??
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Baseball Trip Complete! 2003/06/25 23:04:26 (permalink)
    Don't buy those plane tickets just yet Andy, that is, unless you'll settle for seeing the Trailblazers. But hey, that's not a bad idea either.

As it stands, NoVa is the odds-on favorite in the Expos derby.
    It gives a little breathing room to the Orioles' owner, who's screaming bloody murder about the notion of having a team down the road in DC, and the financing and tv market in NoVa is lightyears beyond Portland's. Still, as we've seen in recent years, nobody knows how these things will play out. Who'd a thunk Florida would get two teams in one shot like they did?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

Might be one more park in the near future. The decision on relocating Montreal, to either DC/Northern Virginia or Portland, should come down sometime in the next few weeks. A DC team will start off at RFK Stadium with a new park to follow in a year or two. I imagine Portland has a similar existing-to-new plan in effect.

If Selig and the relocation committee break habit and make a decision based on common sense, the team formerly known as the Expos will be playing in front of a new hometown crowd in April 2004.

I forgot about Le Expos. They definitely will move, but it won't be for another few years. I'm hoping the DC area does not get the team. Twice before they failed to support a team, plus, I'd much rather go to Portland on a trip then DC!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1