Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Basic question for BBQ smokers

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Fri, 08/15/03 4:47 PM (permalink)
RibDog, thanks for mentioning the sand thing earlier. After your mention and Stogie's subsequent post, I did some investigating around other BBQ sites, since I had never heard of this and was very intrigued.

Everyone, the consensus seems to be that the water in the water pan serves primarily to deflect and "regulate" heat, and that it doesn't really help keep the meat moist. This is completely contrary to what I've always thought, but it would also make sense that your "moisture" in the meat would come from the fat content instead of external humidity.

I'm going to try sand next time just to see how it works. I've always hated cleaning up the pan afterwards, anyway.

One idea I found is to place a layer of foil over the sand, so when you're done, all you have to do is remove the foil and throw it away. Keeps the sand from getting all yucky.

RibDog, when you try it, please let us know what you think. I can tell from Stogie's post that he's sold on it. Thanks again for the tip.

Man, I learn so much from everyone here on this site...

seafarer john

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Fri, 08/15/03 5:06 PM (permalink)
    Gawd! What a great lesson in BBQ this link has been - thanks so much to all of you- especially
    Sundancer who asks such great questions that most of us are just too damn prideful to ask. I'm printing the whole thing out for my son - the one with the Big Green Egg, he'll love it.

Bushie

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Fri, 08/15/03 5:20 PM (permalink)
      I second seafarer's remark about the Sundancer! Sundancer always asks great questions and starts some great topics that promote a bunch of great feedback.

And oneiron, it sounds like you've got your offset figured out, something that would take me years to master. Mr. Mayor uses his offset very successfully, as evidenced by these pictures he posted some time ago:

(Scroll down a little ways to see them.)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50&whichpage=3

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
        RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Fri, 08/15/03 6:48 PM (permalink)
        Hey Seafarer,

Since your son has a BGE, you might want to steer him over to www.homebbq.com to look at the BBQ Guru. Interesting little contraption that hooks up to the BGE to help in the cooking process. You may also want to mention www.bgeforum.com. It is exclusively for BGE owners and users and has a nice message board on it.

John

Sundancer7

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Sat, 08/16/03 10:21 AM (permalink)
          I went down to the dock to retrive the smoker last evening and dadgum if a major part was missing. Screwed up my plans last evening so I got up early this morning and went to Walmart to get a replacement part which they did not have.

I bought an electric one brought it home and it took me one hour to assemble. Dadburn little screws are hard to hold and place. Finally got it together and plugged it in. I bought a 6 pound pork butt, put some of Bushies BBQ sauce that he gave me directly from Austin. Sure smellls good Bushie. I tried a little bit on a cracker. Pretty good by itself. I wish it was five o'clock now, but it ain't and I will wait for libation.

It appears that the cooking time for the electric is less than the charcoal cause instructions indicate 45-60 minutes per pound.

Having some great baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, Tennessee fried cornbread, chips (WOW ruffles) blueberry pie with Mayfields vanilla ice cream. Wife is in Australia so daughter and family along with my mom who lives next door with enjoy

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
            RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Sat, 08/16/03 12:05 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Sundancer7
            It appears that the cooking time for the electric is less than the charcoal cause instructions indicate 45-60 minutes per pound.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I've had two and while you're right about assembling them, they worked superbly. Relatively easy to move around, can use close to shelter. I didn't take care of mine, so I just accepted that I'd buy a new one every few years.

Hope your party turned out well.

Sundancer7

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Sat, 08/16/03 6:05 PM (permalink)
              Just pulled the butt off the electric grill and let it rest for one hour. It was extremely tender and very tasty. I basted it before I put it on the smoker and I did not touch it for six hours.

My baked potatos were excellent as I wrapped them in aluminum foil with olive oil, onions cajun salt, dried onions, real onions, lotsa garlic and let them cook at 425 for one hour and a half. The cheese cake and blueberry pie was super and my cole slaw and potato salad did the trick.

I am having my libation and will probably drift off.

Paul E. smith
              Knoxville, TN

Bushie

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Sat, 08/16/03 8:59 PM (permalink)
                Sundancer, I wish I could have tasted your pork! (I started to say I wish I could have tasted your "butt", but I didn't think that would sound quite right. )

I'm glad to hear it turned out good, and I'm really pleased to hear you liked the Salt Lick sauce.

Thanks for the report!

Sundancer7

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Sun, 08/17/03 12:38 PM (permalink)
                  I was really pleased with the results of my pork butt. It was tender and tasty although I wish it had a better crust. The electric $60 job worked well. I followed instructions which indicated 45-60 minutes per pound. I had a six pound butt and left it in for six hours and let it rest for one hour.

I want to try a brisket next and I need some advice. I think I will do some corn on the cob if I can find some fresh. Its getting hard to find now.

Thanks,
                  Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Mon, 08/18/03 4:12 PM (permalink)
                    I really want to do the brisket on my electric smoker. I am a novice with this and I need some help. Please give me some advice on doing a Walmart brisket with the fat on one side. I just want to know how to do it this week end.

Thanks
                    Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Mon, 08/18/03 4:35 PM (permalink)
                      I've got a question for you guys...what about sausages? I have recipes for smoked sausage, but don't know what's best to smoke them in. Anybody ever try it?

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                        RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Mon, 08/18/03 4:54 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Cosmos

I've got a question for you guys...what about sausages? I have recipes for smoked sausage, but don't know what's best to smoke them in. Anybody ever try it?

I smoke sausages all the time, Italian, Polish Lithuanian whatever. I do them in a little Brinkman's water smoker, they don't take long Just a few hours. I usually prick them a bit to allow the smoke to enter, just don't over do or they could dry out. Nothing like pulling a smoked sausage from the freezer & taking it for lunch in the dead of winter. The smell from the microwave drives everybody crazy!!

Bushie

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Mon, 08/18/03 9:45 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Sundancer7

I really want to do the brisket on my electric smoker. I am a novice with this and I need some help. Please give me some advice on doing a Walmart brisket with the fat on one side. I just want to know how to do it this week end.

Sundance, there's lots of good info on this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1133

I've always done brisket "low & slow", fat side up, for at least 10 hours (depends on the size, of course). Your results will probably be better cooking it longer, and with that electric unit, you can start it and let it cook all night.

Almost everyone will recommend a rub prior to cooking, but I've done briskets many times on my old Brinkman water smoker with just some salt, pepper, and whatever else I had to sprinkle on there. I personally think rubs are overrated on brisket, since in my experience, very little of the rub flavor makes it into the meat. It's great on the "crust", however. (OK, now you BBQ'ers with much more experience are welcome to point out why I'm wrong about that. )

Just use lots of hickory chips with your new electric unit.

Bushie

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Mon, 08/18/03 9:47 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

Cosmos, are you making your own sausage or buying pre-made raw links?

Cosmos

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Tue, 08/19/03 8:16 AM (permalink)
                              I make my own. So far limited to a couple varieties of italian, boudin, chorizo, a pork and a chicken breakfast sausage. I also do a lamb sausage with sundried tomatoes, pine nuts and mint. All recipes from Bruce Aidells cookbook. He has a bunch of smoked sausage recipes, with andouille being the highest on my list to try.

Cosmos

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Tue, 08/19/03 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                Sorry, didn't mean to turn the topic to sausage, but thanks for the Brinkman's tip. I'll probably start with sausage and turn to other meats as I gain experience.

Bushie

RE: Basic question for BBQ smokers Tue, 08/19/03 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:

I make my own. So far limited to a couple varieties of italian, boudin, chorizo, a pork and a chicken breakfast sausage. I also do a lamb sausage with sundried tomatoes, pine nuts and mint. All recipes from Bruce Aidells cookbook. He has a bunch of smoked sausage recipes, with andouille being the highest on my list to try.

Thanks, sounds great. (That lamb sausage sounds REALLY good!)

I found this link that should help in using ocdreamr's suggestion.

http://www.homebbq.com/duportal/forums/msgDetail.asp?msg_id=284&for_id=8

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com