Bass

Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
  • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
  • Location: Rentiesville, OK
  • Status: offline
2004/04/01 09:53:19 (permalink)

Bass

Got a friend with several ponds on his ranch that were stocked long ago and then not fished for several years and now one of them seems to be full of small bass. Ordinarily i throw back bass--they are fun to catch, but i like to eat the crappie!--but the owner wants to reduce the number of small fish and increase the amount of feed per fish and thus increase the size of the bass,so has asked me and a fishing buddy to please---eat them!! Well, its a tough job, but somebody has to do it! As a result of this windfall i am looking for bass recipes. I have an old favorite that i used to due with stripers--stuffed with rice and olives---but i figured this crew would have some killer recipes---so---how about it--got any favorite bass recipesI'd love to try them out!
#1

14 Replies Related Threads

    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    • Joined: 2003/12/15 17:48:00
    • Location: Lowcountry, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 10:38:26 (permalink)
    Here are some googled results:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=bass+recipes

    I like mine fried with salt, pepper and cornmeal mix.
    #2
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    • Joined: 2002/06/12 16:27:00
    • Location: Nashville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 10:50:48 (permalink)
    Place bass in Bass-O-Matic. Frappe. Drink.
    "MMMMMMMM, that's great bass!".
    #3
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 10:57:29 (permalink)
    Sugar Fried Bass from Sugar Ferris, founder of Bassin'Gal:

    1 small jar prepared mustard
    1 small bottle Tabasco
    6 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    4 Tbs soy sauce
    1 bass filet per person

    Blend all the ingredients except the bass in a large container. Slice the fillets into finger-size pieces and place in the marinade. Remove the fish and roll in yellow corn meal. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain fish on paper towels and taste to see if salt is needed.


    Baked Bass Fillets, from Jerry McKinnis of The Fishin' Hole:

    Cover bottom of a Pyrex dish with bacon strips and butter. Place he bass fillets on top of the bacon and drop some more chunks of butter on the fish. Salt the fish and top with a little catsup. Slice some tomatoes, green peppers and onions and place these over the fish. Cover lightly with honey and bake for 45 minutes. You can also do this by placing everything in an aluminum foil package and tossing the package into a campfire to cook.

    Buttermilk Bass, from John Weiss:

    3 cups buttermilk
    pancake mix
    2 pounds of bass fillets
    cooking oil
    Place the fillets in a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Let stand for one hour. Place pancake mix in a brown paper bag. Remove the fillets from the buttermilk and shake off excess milk. Place them, two at a time in the bag and shake the bag till the fillets are well coated. place the fillets in a hot skillet containing 1/2-inch of cooking oil and fry till golden brown, and crispy around the edges. Drain on absorbent toweling.


    #4
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 13:50:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

    Place bass in Bass-O-Matic. Frappe. Drink.
    "MMMMMMMM, that's great bass!".


    Great snack---but i need DINNER!
    #5
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 13:59:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

    Here are some googled results:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=bass+recipes

    I like mine fried with salt, pepper and cornmeal mix.

    me too but im bored with the same old "fried fish"---somtimes you gotta put away the grape jelly try that PB and J with Mango preserves! Thanks for the gogle list---got a coulple of good ones.
    #6
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/01 14:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Sugar Fried Bass from Sugar Ferris, founder of Bassin'Gal:

    1 small jar prepared mustard
    1 small bottle Tabasco
    6 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    4 Tbs soy sauce
    1 bass filet per person

    Blend all the ingredients except the bass in a large container. Slice the fillets into finger-size pieces and place in the marinade. Remove the fish and roll in yellow corn meal. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain fish on paper towels and taste to see if salt is needed.


    Baked Bass Fillets, from Jerry McKinnis of The Fishin' Hole:

    Cover bottom of a Pyrex dish with bacon strips and butter. Place he bass fillets on top of the bacon and drop some more chunks of butter on the fish. Salt the fish and top with a little catsup. Slice some tomatoes, green peppers and onions and place these over the fish. Cover lightly with honey and bake for 45 minutes. You can also do this by placing everything in an aluminum foil package and tossing the package into a campfire to cook.

    Buttermilk Bass, from John Weiss:

    3 cups buttermilk
    pancake mix
    2 pounds of bass fillets
    cooking oil
    Place the fillets in a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Let stand for one hour. Place pancake mix in a brown paper bag. Remove the fillets from the buttermilk and shake off excess milk. Place them, two at a time in the bag and shake the bag till the fillets are well coated. place the fillets in a hot skillet containing 1/2-inch of cooking oil and fry till golden brown, and crispy around the edges. Drain on absorbent toweling.





    Thanks Michael---why am i not surprised you would come through!! Think i will try Jerrys McKinnis's recipe this week--maybe with that new Tabasco catsup or even salsa---man i sure do miss "The Fishin Hole"--he was my all time favorite tv fisherman---well him and Fish Fishburn!!!
    #7
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    • Joined: 2003/05/12 13:31:00
    • Location: randolph, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 15:24:59 (permalink)
    Take a quarter to half pound of butter, place bass and butter in baking dish. Bake until done.
    Or:
    Coat the bass in kosher salt until totally sealed. Bake until done.
    These recipes are easy but goood.
    #8
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 15:30:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Sugar Fried Bass from Sugar Ferris, founder of Bassin'Gal:

    1 small jar prepared mustard
    1 small bottle Tabasco
    6 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    4 Tbs soy sauce
    1 bass filet per person

    Blend all the ingredients except the bass in a large container. Slice the fillets into finger-size pieces and place in the marinade. Remove the fish and roll in yellow corn meal. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain fish on paper towels and taste to see if salt is needed.


    Baked Bass Fillets, from Jerry McKinnis of The Fishin' Hole:

    Cover bottom of a Pyrex dish with bacon strips and butter. Place he bass fillets on top of the bacon and drop some more chunks of butter on the fish. Salt the fish and top with a little catsup. Slice some tomatoes, green peppers and onions and place these over the fish. Cover lightly with honey and bake for 45 minutes. You can also do this by placing everything in an aluminum foil package and tossing the package into a campfire to cook.

    Buttermilk Bass, from John Weiss:

    3 cups buttermilk
    pancake mix
    2 pounds of bass fillets
    cooking oil
    Place the fillets in a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Let stand for one hour. Place pancake mix in a brown paper bag. Remove the fillets from the buttermilk and shake off excess milk. Place them, two at a time in the bag and shake the bag till the fillets are well coated. place the fillets in a hot skillet containing 1/2-inch of cooking oil and fry till golden brown, and crispy around the edges. Drain on absorbent toweling.





    Thanks Michael---why am i not surprised you would come through!! Think i will try Jerrys McKinnis's recipe this week--maybe with that new Tabasco catsup or even salsa---man i sure do miss "The Fishin Hole"--he was my all time favorite tv fisherman---well him and Fish Fishburn!!!


    Fish Fishburne? Fish is the only guy I've ever seen do a standing jump from the ground onto to the deck of his trailered bass boat. I fished with him at a Bassmaster Classic back in the late '80s.
    #9
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    • Joined: 2003/05/07 16:26:00
    • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 16:06:09 (permalink)
    I just put some flour on a paper plate, sprinkle it with salt,pepper and paprika, mix it together, and press the bass fillets into it to coat them on both sides.

    Then I heat a deep frying pan with about an inch of vegetable oil in it and fry the fillets for a couple of minutes until golden brown. Then I flip them with tongs and fry about a minute more until the other side is the same. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice or tartar sauce.

    This makes a very light breading that lets the flavor of fish come through.
    #10
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7669
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 17:54:09 (permalink)
    Looking at the thread, I was wondering why someone would want to cook and serve a musical instrument! Now after reading the thread, I know what your all talking about. Sorry, I used to play the electric bass...Carry on..
    #11
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    • Joined: 2003/01/26 03:09:00
    • Location: Victorville, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 18:25:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

    Looking at the thread, I was wondering why someone would want to cook and serve a musical instrument! Now after reading the thread, I know what your all talking about. Sorry, I used to play the electric bass...Carry on..


    Was it hooked up to an "Electric EEL" for power????????
    #12
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    • Joined: 2004/02/15 15:20:00
    • Location: framingham, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/05 18:36:22 (permalink)
    Place fish on large piece of foil. salt and pepper it. Liberally douse with olive oil. Place on top of it slices of vidalia onion and preferably native tomatoes. wrap sides of foil up and crimp top to seal. place on preheated outdoor grill and grill for 15 minutes or so until thermometer place in center of fish reads 150 degrees. deelish. best in summer with real tomatoes.
    #13
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/09 19:34:44 (permalink)
    I've never had (or heard of) freshwater Bass sashimi. Tiki, my man, I think it's time for you to start a new Okie tradition!!
    #14
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bass 2004/04/10 05:23:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

    Looking at the thread, I was wondering why someone would want to cook and serve a musical instrument!
    Sounds like you need to read, or have already read, James Lee Burke's In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead. Now, that will get you into some strange-thinking pathways!
    #15
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1