The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia

PostcardPam

• Total Posts: 21
Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Tue, 01/11/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
I just made reservations for the Phildelphia Flower Show in March and plan to try Bassett's Ice Cream while I am in Philly.   Saw a review on one of the food shows that claimed their Butterscotch Vanilla is fantastic.    Does anyone have any other flavor recommendations?

Thanks!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Tue, 01/11/11 1:58 PM (permalink)
    The original French Vanilla is good too. Just be aware that Bassett's ice creams are no longer made by the Bassett company. They are made by Galliker's Dairy in Johnstown, PA and trucked down to The Reading Terminal Market as well as to area food retailers including Wawa Convenience Stores.

Holly Moore

Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Tue, 01/11/11 2:14 PM (permalink)
      Bassett's is right across the street from the flower show in Reading Terminal Market. My favorite is Butterscotch Vanilla.

If you have the time and capacity, continue your ice cream quest at the Franklin Fountain on lower Market Street - they crank their own ice cream and build magnificent sundaes.

PostcardPam

• Total Posts: 21
        Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Tue, 01/11/11 2:41 PM (permalink)
        CheeseWit - thanks for the info.  Always interesting to hear the 'real details'.

Holly - Great tip - will definitely try the Franklin Fountain.  Looking forward to spending some time in your city.  Have not been in Philly for quite a few years.  Thank you!

KevinBurg

• Total Posts: 37
          Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Tue, 02/8/11 8:18 PM (permalink)
          PostcardPam

I just made reservations for the Phildelphia Flower Show in March and plan to try Bassett's Ice Cream while I am in Philly.   Saw a review on one of the food shows that claimed their Butterscotch Vanilla is fantastic.    Does anyone have any other flavor recommendations?

Thanks!

My favorite at Bassett's is the chocolate and coffee combo in a waffle cone. And, like Holly said, try the Franklin Fountain on Market for a trip back in time and some great ice cream.
          While you're here, you may want to try the gelato at Capogiro's at 13th and Sansom.  
          <message edited by KevinBurg on Tue, 02/8/11 8:21 PM>

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
            Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Thu, 03/17/11 1:09 PM (permalink)
            I love the butterscotch vanilla.  I am also partial to their strawberry and their peanut butter vanilla. 

Their website (bassettsicecream.com) has a section called Where to Find Bassett's Ice Cream with a list of all the store and "dipping parlors" which sell Bassett's (although some of the grocery stores have a very limited selection of flavors).  If you want to bring some home from the Reading Terminal Market store, bring along a picnic cooler; they have dry ice available. 

If you are planning on being out in the 'burbs when you visit, it's worth going out of your way to check out Longacre's Modern Daily Bar in Barto (reviewed on this site), as well.  Or, if you're in the neighborhood, Handel's in Berwyn.

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
              Re:Bassett's Ice Cream, Philadelphia Fri, 09/16/11 10:27 AM (permalink)
              I'm a big fan of Bassett's Banana,Pistachio and Butter Brickle. Their high butterfat content equals great ice cream!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com