Be warned of Wendys!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 12:47:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pacman

quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

...well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu....

Well, I guess you don't remember the OLD days at Wendy's. Late 70's early 80's. Technically, NOTHING came on the sandwich. They used to have all the available condiments listed/pictured and cheese and tomato were an extra 10 cents each!

Ah, but the "old days" at Wendy's were different. The burgers were at least tasty and of great quality, unlike today's bland discs, IMHO.
Paul
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 12:53:43 (permalink)
Err, they're still square, not "discs" :-)
Coaster Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 13:10:19 (permalink)
My biggest complaint about Wendy's is that their bread, at least my local ones, is tough, crubly and dry. They seem to be saving lots of dough on their rolls. Anyone have a similar experience?
I also think the Wendy's of Old is a thing of the past, and since we lost Dave we also lost the quality emphasis.
In & Out Burger Rules!!!!!!!!!!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 13:30:51 (permalink)
Ask for your wendy's burger/chicken/fish/whatever on a kaiser roll.

I find those to be much better.

Sometimes you'll be charged a nickel extra, sometimes no charge. Worth a nickel easily.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/30 20:07:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Coaster Dog

My biggest complaint about Wendy's is that their bread, at least my local ones, is tough, crubly and dry. They seem to be saving lots of dough on their rolls. Anyone have a similar experience?
I also think the Wendy's of Old is a thing of the past, and since we lost Dave we also lost the quality emphasis.
In & Out Burger Rules!!!!!!!!!!!

In and Out is in CT now?
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/04 13:55:01 (permalink)
Wendy's buns are pretty dry and crumbly, much like the buns used on cheapie burger at McD's but at least McD's steams theirs or something. I remember when Wendy's used to advertise their burgers as "Hot N' Juicy" but the last couple I had there are dry as a bone. Also get very poor service there in drivethrus - just once I'd like them to get toppings right or give napkins or utensils as needed. Note to Wendy's - chili and salads are NOT finger food. They are my last resort burger place now. Especially since Hardee's burgers have actually gotten GOOD!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/04 14:11:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pacman

quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

...well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu....

Well, I guess you don't remember the OLD days at Wendy's. Late 70's early 80's. Technically, NOTHING came on the sandwich. They used to have all the available condiments listed/pictured and cheese and tomato were an extra 10 cents each!

I remember the old days at Wendy's (old days for me was 1971, when I first moved to Columbus), and at the original Wendy's the first one Dave Thomas opened, they came with lettuce, tomato -- everything. I used to order them without the lettuce and tomato and they were always the same price.Cheese was extra.
Unknown Cavalier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/08 15:18:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cedwin

I think Wendy's is being as reasonable about this as possible, considering the supply problems. The sign informing customers of the supply situation is prominent and each time I've expressly asked for tomato, I've gotten it with no problems.

WHERE'S THE BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/08 15:32:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Maybe we should start a thread for those who think mayo is disgusting! Second thought, no one would probably have anytrhing to say. Nah! Sorry. Bad idea.

TOO FUNNY!!!!! carlton pierre!!
I think it's fine for Wendy's or anyother restaurant to post a sign saying "no tomatoes unless you ask" sort of thing... as long a the signage is visible to the customers.
and YES those orange styrofoamy pithy things they pass off as tomatoes in the winter just aint worth it anyhoo........
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/08 18:59:30 (permalink)
As I used to tell my students, "If this is the biggest problem that you have, then you should be very glad". Yes, I know that it can be annoying to receive something that is less than what you expected, but as others on this thread have pointed out, the tomato that you would normally receive is a tasteless, nutritionally worthless pink blob.

On a side note, back in the early '70s, while driving to Florida, I spied the following sign in a truck stop where I had the misfortune to eat: "Tomatoes on sandwich--15 cents extra--till tomatoes comes down" In fact, I later wrote a short story with the title "Till Tomatoes Comes Down", as I just liked the illiterate tone of it.

But, to get back to the original topic, I will save my ire for bigger issues, and in the long run, you will be better-off if you can do the same. As the title of the book says, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"!
ladytenor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2005/01/23 17:29:52 (permalink)
quote:
That's not the reason for the lower price for Roma tomatoes. The lower price stems from the fact that Roma tomatoes, unlike all other tomatoes grown in Florida, are not subject to the grower's guidelines that do not permit the sale outside the state of less than perfect tomatoes.

Did you see the report a couple weeks ago where they have come up with a new tomato that ships well and had a good flavor, but the grower guidelines won't let them ship them outside the state because they are the more ridged heirloom tomato type and don't look like the bright red balls that are available in the stores? Frankly, I don't care what a tomato looks like as long as it tastes good.
I think the sandwiches should be plain and then you can order the toppings you want on it...that way it is always "have it your way" (Sorry Burger King)
I remember the "hot and juicy" burgers of the 70s...the juice would run down your chin and your arms. Maybe they changed it because they were going broke on the napkin supply. c
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1