Be warned of Wendys!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2004/12/10 08:56:22 (permalink)

Be warned of Wendys!

I have never been a Fan of Wendys,but I was talked into stopping by on the way home and pulled thru the drive thru and ordered,well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu,if I dont want it I will tell you no TOMATO.That is just sneaky.

40 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 09:23:42 (permalink)
    This is just not at Wendy's mind you. There was a story that I read about a week ago that the price of tomatoes has gone from about $20 a case up to $80 a case beacuse of the hurricanes coming through Florida and wiping out the crop that would have kept the supply up. The story went on to say that many restaurants were doing exactly the same thing. Fortunately, a new supply of tomatos is due any time now so this practice should go away. Give the restaurants a break. Would you rather them raise their prices to cover the extra cost? Plus, if you are going to point fingers, point them at all the restaurants that are doing this. IMHO.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 09:53:30 (permalink)
    Good news!

Krogers advertised their Roma's in Knoxville at $0.99 per lb and I noticed several other grocers had drastically reduced the price of tomatoes. I would guess that the crops are beginning to receover in Florida?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 10:09:28 (permalink)
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20041209/ts_usatoday/tomatosupplyabouttocatchup
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 10:13:16 (permalink)
    I think Wendy's is being as reasonable about this as possible, considering the supply problems. The sign informing customers of the supply situation is prominent and each time I've expressly asked for tomato, I've gotten it with no problems.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 16:12:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

I have never been a Fan of Wendys,but I was talked into stopping by on the way home and pulled thru the drive thru and ordered,well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu,if I dont want it I will tell you no TOMATO.That is just sneaky.

What if I went in and said, "I'll have one of those--hold the meat, just give me plenty of tomato"?
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 16:28:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

What if I went in and said, "I'll have one of those--hold the meat, just give me plenty of tomato"?

It would probably be the best sandwich you ever got at a fast food restaurant! (as long as they would start using decent mayo.)
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 17:04:21 (permalink)
    I've noticed the Wendy's situation and haven't found it to be all that unreasonable. The last time I was at the grocery store, even the Roma tomatoes were $3.49/lb. Of course, that was a couple weeks ago, so I figured the prices went down somewhat.

The thing that I have found to be more unreasonable are restaurants who no longer put out ketchup bottles. Instead, they will give you a miniscule cup of it with your sandwich if you request it. Now considering the ingredients of ketchup, that's somewhat more problematic (not to mention cheap, IMHO).
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 17:28:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jlobough

I've noticed the Wendy's situation and haven't found it to be all that unreasonable. The last time I was at the grocery store, even the Roma tomatoes were $3.49/lb. Of course, that was a couple weeks ago, so I figured the prices went down somewhat.

The thing that I have found to be more unreasonable are restaurants who no longer put out ketchup bottles. Instead, they will give you a miniscule cup of it with your sandwich if you request it. Now considering the ingredients of ketchup, that's somewhat more problematic (not to mention cheap, IMHO).

A small cup of ketchup would be a real relief compared to those nasty little plastic "individual" packs of which any normal individual needs to try to open 5 or more, and extract the contents, which is hard to do, in order to get a reasonable portion.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 18:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

It would probably be the best sandwich you ever got at a fast food restaurant! (as long as they would start using decent mayo.)

Believe it or not, MANY years ago, Wendy's had a decent BLT.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/10 22:54:29 (permalink)
    I have to relate a positive Wendy's experience. I work as a catering chef and our clients were having a family holiday event for hundreds of their employees and children. Puppets, Santa and the whole bit. They specifically requested Wendy's Chicken Nuggets for the kiddies. We made the honey mustard sauce ourselves. We contacted the nearest Wendy's and the manager was beyond helpful. He wanted to know when we needed the 450 orders so he wouldn't cook them too soon. They were ready at precisely the time we needed them. And he was very helpful as to how to reheat them, since we have very little experience about how to reheat fast food. It was a whole new situation for me as a chef. I've never had to deal with fast foods before.But that's what these people wanted. This guy was great. He took great pride in his work and helping us meet our clients request.
    rwarn17588
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/11 00:15:06 (permalink)
    I've been to two diner-type restaurants here in northeastern Oklahoma, and both recently posted notices that they have temporarily quit serving tomatoes on hamburgers because 1) the Florida hurricanes made them prohibitively expensive; 2) the suppliers said the tomatoes that were available were such bad quality that to serve them would be a disservice to customers. Both these places have excellent reputations, by the way.

I'd rather a restaurant nix bad tomatoes for awhile over serving them.
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/15 16:39:07 (permalink)
    Another reason for the tomato shortage - rivers out of their banks in East Tennessee causing thousands of acres of tomato fields to flood. My buds said that they saw green tomatos going down the Nolichucky River by the "millions". Tomato, corn and tobacco crops were devastated by the flood waters. I lost my duck blind too, and it had been in the same place for about five years.

Buckshot
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/17 16:13:50 (permalink)
    quote:

...well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu....

Well, I guess you don't remember the OLD days at Wendy's. Late 70's early 80's. Technically, NOTHING came on the sandwich. They used to have all the available condiments listed/pictured and cheese and tomato were an extra 10 cents each!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/17 18:03:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Buckshot

Another reason for the tomato shortage - rivers out of their banks in East Tennessee causing thousands of acres of tomato fields to flood. My buds said that they saw green tomatos going down the Nolichucky River by the "millions". Tomato, corn and tobacco crops were devastated by the flood waters. I lost my duck blind too, and it had been in the same place for about five years.

Buckshot

Oh man, the tomatos and corn is bad enough, but the Duck Blind...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/17 18:03:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pacman

quote:

...well when I bit into my Burger there was no TOMATO!Then my wife says they had a little sign saying that because of the price of tomatoes YOU have to ask for them!I say put it on the burger like it looks in the picture on the menu....

Well, I guess you don't remember the OLD days at Wendy's. Late 70's early 80's. Technically, NOTHING came on the sandwich. They used to have all the available condiments listed/pictured and cheese and tomato were an extra 10 cents each!

Yeah, but back then the "single" was 99 cents or so...
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/17 19:37:24 (permalink)

"Congratulations Sir on your New Car Purchase but do to the high price of oil and gas ........."

See It does matter! Step up to the plate Wendys, so you lose a little profit right now. Just raise your price to cover the cost of the tomatoes and then when the price goes back down forget to lower the price and your Rich! Ain't that the American Way!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/17 20:42:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

"Congratulations Sir on your New Car Purchase but do to the high price of oil and gas ........."

See It does matter! Step up to the plate Wendys, so you lose a little profit right now. Just raise your price to cover the cost of the tomatoes and then when the price goes back down forget to lower the price and your Rich! Ain't that the American Way!

I cannot figure why anyone would be concerned with lack of the red slice of wood taste like tomato slices that that fast food restaurants serve. They taste like nothing so when they do not serve them nothing is taken away from your sandwich
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 09:15:26 (permalink)
    Recent visit to a Burger King (in Ocala, FLORIDA, no less....where they grow the darned things) did not even offer tomatoes as option. Their explanation was that "the current tomatoes available were not up to the standards that Burger King customers would expect, so they would not be offered....." How can you eat a Whopper without tomato????
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4579
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 09:21:43 (permalink)
    Cheese is most certainly still an extra charge at Wendy's
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 09:39:12 (permalink)
    Seeing as how tomatoes are not in season I find this fine by me. In fact, I specifically ask to hold tomoatoes on salads when I go out to eat during the winter months. Just not worth it.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 09:43:06 (permalink)
    Well, this is certainly a topic that appealed to me immediately. If only because tomatoes are my "Kryptonite". I absolutely deplore tomatoes and ketchup, and if 50 hurricanes strike Florida next year, it will not bother me at all! In fact, I view the idea of a restaurant, regardless of name, not putting tomatoes on my hamburger by default, but actually asking me first, to be a refreshing change!! This saves me the hassle of picking them off, and scraping off the seeds. And seriously, wasting them, when someone else could be eating them.
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 09:45:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but back then the "single" was 99 cents or so...

Well, I do have to agree that prices have risen, however, based on the quality of tomato that is served at our local WENDYS, I would prefer that it was NOT included in the price. I would just as soon see them go back to the old way of requiring you to ask for what you want and adjust pricing accordingly. The way it stand now if you dont want the tasteless woody tomato they offer you are not paying for it anyway!
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 10:07:19 (permalink)
    I frequently eat lunch at Wendy's since we have one right here in the hospital (insert heart attack joke here). Anyways, we had that same notice posted for a couple of weeks but it is now down and tomatoes are automatically included on the sandwiches. Even when it was posted you could get tomatoes by asking. I think with the high costs they just wanted to make sure that they weren't giving out ones that were going to be thrown away.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 11:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

Well, this is certainly a topic that appealed to me immediately. If only because tomatoes are my "Kryptonite". I absolutely deplore tomatoes and ketchup, and if 50 hurricanes strike Florida next year, it will not bother me at all! In fact, I view the idea of a restaurant, regardless of name, not putting tomatoes on my hamburger by default, but actually asking me first, to be a refreshing change!! This saves me the hassle of picking them off, and scraping off the seeds. And seriously, wasting them, when someone else could be eating them.
    How do you feel about mayonnaise?
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 11:35:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

How do you feel about mayonnaise?
    The only condiment I truly like is mustard. Mayo is right up there on the disgusting list for me as well!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 11:56:21 (permalink)
    Maybe we should start a thread for those who think mayo is disgusting! Second thought, no one would probably have anytrhing to say. Nah! Sorry. Bad idea.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18429
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 11:59:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Good news!

Krogers advertised their Roma's in Knoxville at $0.99 per lb and I noticed several other grocers had drastically reduced the price of tomatoes. I would guess that the crops are beginning to receover in Florida?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

That's not the reason for the lower price for Roma tomatoes. The lower price stems from the fact that Roma tomatoes, unlike all other tomatoes grown in Florida, are not subject to the grower's guidelines that do not permit the sale outside the state of less than perfect tomatoes.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 12:43:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Maybe we should start a thread for those who think mayo is disgusting! Second thought, no one would probably have anytrhing to say. Nah! Sorry. Bad idea.

Did I miss something with this one?!
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Be warned of Wendys! 2004/12/29 12:45:34 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1