Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3736
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal Part 8 4/24 updated on 5/5 2009/05/07 14:55:04 (permalink)
Williamsburger

Wow WJ, It's great to visit SOCAL virtually through your report.
Makes me wish even more than usual that I could eat Tex-Mex. Guess I'll have to be content with sushi! Poor me!

two things:
No pic of Solana Beach Public Library?

And, hate to be the bearer of bad tidings:
http://www.extremepizza.com/index.html

Cathy, who ate there once and remembers nothing about it

Cathy, You are not telling us that WJ actually ate at a chain?  Well, he seems to have survived  so I might try one the next time I am in Richmond.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal Part 8 4/24 updated on 5/5 2009/05/07 19:26:17 (permalink)
WJ

Another excellent report, I totally enjoyed ALL of it.  It is always a treat to see RF through your eyes and tastes.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/07 19:37:08 (permalink)
Davydd

The GPS was an afterthought when I thought twice about how tricky it is getting around LA. I was in NYC this past weekend and I met up with the Travelin Man who was there on business. We were talking about how inexpensive the GPS's are now....It's nice to have and normally I don't even use it but I think I may get one anyway...

Mar

I enjoyed meeting you and everyone else for that matter, again I had a blast with my "West Coast" roadfood compadres.

Dennis and Sammur

I relied on flash on this trip much more than I usually do....
Some of my photos did turn out blurry,  especially the indoor shots, and I figured out why....I was looking through the lense and not the lcd monitor to ensure that the photos were in focus....

I have a canon power shot 530 with 5 mega pixels. I purchased this 3 years ago
Dennis, when I bought the camera, I made sure it had the macro option to take close up photos

Brad

Spam musabi is definetely Hawaiian... it followed its way to Southern California because of the surf culture...Apparently they love spam in Hawaii, even though it originated in the midwest...I understand that some of the taverns in the Twin Cities are offering "spam bites" on their menu popularized at the Minnesota State Fair. I hope to try some when I visit next year...

Buffetbuster

I remember a decade or so ago, when I was still living in Pittsburgh, my friends and I would go to see the Pirates, and although they were just as bad then as they are now, it seems that whenever they played the Padres, the Padres made the buccos look like the Yankees (not the current Yankees, but the team from a decade ago)

Williamsburger

Actually, Solana Beach had a really nice public library....
The fact that Extreme Pizza is a regional chain doesn't surprise me in retrospect...
I was right on the money thought- I kept saying it had a real California feel-and
where did they get their start? But in the Bay Area of course!

Greymo

You know I've been to chains before....

You know I never turn down a White Castle burger, you might recall my Pacific NW/Northern Cal Ballpark trip report in 07 when I did "chain Pho" at Pho Hoa in Seattle's international district, like extreme Pizza, it wasn't intentional but it really caught me by surprise....Also on my recent catastrophe duty trip in Cleveland last fall, I was "forced" to go to Benihana's with my group for a free meal- and you know what? It really wasn't that bad...

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8388
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/07 19:57:53 (permalink)
I just loved the pics from La Jolla.I was in the exact spot several years ago.We were lucky enough to see, besides the sea lions, whales migrating just off the coast.Your breakfast looked amazing!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/07 20:29:39 (permalink)
Foot Notes and Afterthoughts...

Ok....here is where I discuss the surprises and disappointments....

The Southern California Burger Culture

Yes, I came in with an open mind....And I do "get it now" its not about the burger but what goes on the burger.....However with my descriptions which included "good sandwich" "ordinary" "tasteless chili" and "I really liked the hickory sauce"  I still feel that it should be about the burger too...The point being If a Chicago Hot Dog was just about the toppings, then why not use an Oscar Meyer Weiner Dog, if Cincinnati 5 way chili was just about the concept, then why not use Hormel Chili? I could even use the same argument with Philly Cheesesteaks, why not use Steak Ums on wonder bread or hot dog rolls? That's my point....

What I did see while driving around....Alot of Burger-Taco-Teriyaki joints- actually all three in one...Alot of Sushi-Teryaki Joints again serving both at once  and alot of Mexican-Smoothie Joints...again serving both....

Best Single Meal Items

The Chocolate Malted at Hodads

The Lamb Dip at Philippes

The Hollenbeck Burrito at El Tepeyac

The Carnitas Tacos at Los Cinco Puntos

The Chenzo Roll and the Michael Roll at The California Roll Factory

The Fried and Grilled Mahi Tacos at Fidel's Little Mexico

The House Baked Cottage Granola at The Cottage

Best Atmosphere

Hodads

Daichan

Home Restaurant

Sloopy's

Taco Surf

Best Overall Meal Experiences

Philippe's

Parks BBQ

Daichan

Was it the company? Absolutely, but it was also the opportunity to share experiences and to sample more than just a couple of menu items....

Biggest Dissapointment

The Burger at Tommy's

The Ramen at Daikokuya

The Spam Musabi at Dakine's at  Plate Lunch

Been there/done that award

Zankou Chicken

The California Chicken Cafe

I've never visited these places before and the food was good, but the meals weren't any different than what I can get in my own backyard...

The Burger Smackdown Award

Hodads

Although neither of the burgers I had really blew me away , the monstous size of this behemoth was enough to bestow the award to Hodads...

The Fish Taco Smackdown Award

Fidel's Little Mexico

The Smoothie Smackdown Award

Tie: Orange Inn
       G's Juices

Places I would have loved to visit if only there was enough time

Father's Office
Farmer Boys (recommended by Mayor Al)
at least a couple of other burger joints
Tito's Tacos (recommended by Mar52)
Yaki's Teriyaki
Niko Niko (recommended by Morganen)
Any Restaurant in Little Saigon
A Few More Fish Taco Joints
The Spot (LA's oldest vegetarian restaurant)
Duke's (old roadfood book)
John O'Groats (recommended time and time again by wheregreggeats)

Well...you think this trip was long..

Stay tuned....11 weeks from now I begin my two week extravangza.....
The Wild West and Rocky Mountains Ballpark Trip with stops including....
Denver CO, Casper WY, Billings MT, Livingston/Bozeman MT, Boise ID, Winnemucca NV, Reno/Tahoe and Salt Lake City UT

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/07 22:54:10 (permalink)
I've never explored Montana before (except for Yellowstone area), and never explored Idaho,  so I'm real excited about your next adventure in 11 weeks !!
I love Reno/Tahoe, been there quite a bit, so it will be interesting to see what places you pick for your meals there...

If you decide to squeeze in some BURGERS in Reno, I've enjoyed "Juicy's"...
and in Tahoe, I've enjoyed a burger at John's Tahoe Nugget, on the north shore...
picnic table seating only..
There is also a good burger place in Kings Beach , north shore ...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/08 08:43:06 (permalink)
Ellen

Thanks, I'll take it into consideration, however it is likely I'll be all "Burgered" out by the time I get to Reno...Besides, there are 3 Basque Restaurants I plan to check out while I'm in Reno, actually one of them is a "Basque-Mexican" restaurant in Carson City...

I'll be doing at least a couple of Buffalo Burgers in the Denver area and there is this one place in Livingston MT that supposedly has one of the best burgers in the country..

Other than buffalo and beef burgers, here is what you can expect on my upcoming trip...

Basque- considering I'll be in Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada, a good portion of the trip will be heavily Basque

Utah Scones

Navajo Tacos in UT

A Green Chili Smackdown in Denver

Mexican (in Colorado and Boise)

BBQ Brisket in WY and Hopefully Beef Ribs in MT or WY

Pasties in Butte

Huckleberries in MT in one form or another.

Some Regional oddities such as Fry Sauce in Utah and hopefully
"Finger Steaks" in Boise

Game Sausage

I'll probably get in some Trout and a good Steak somewhere along the trip

and of course some Rocky Mountain Oysters

post edited by wanderingjew - 2009/05/08 08:48:47
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6379
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/08 10:07:23 (permalink)
Dale,

Starting in August through September we will be meandering all over the west with specific planned destination stops in Corrallitos, CA, Niobrara, NE and Pagosa Springs, CO for events. In between we will be stopping at many national parks for sure. I won't have any specific food destinations. I just take what comes. You never know, we may bump into each other.

In two days we head east as far as Washington, DC.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/08 11:33:52 (permalink)
Thank you so much for such a wonderful and thorough report, WJ! I've only visited California once, and then just northern CA (SF and above, to Eureka), so it's wonderful to see and read all the descriptions--beautiful pics btw. Hah, I'd be very interested in seeing/reading a review of The Spot; I've heard about it (was a vegetarian for a while...) and I do enjoy veg. options on occasion.

Again, thanks for the great report!
morganen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/08 13:42:47 (permalink)
I'm actually kind of sad that this trip report has come to an end. I really enjoyed reading about the unique roadfood in my own backyard. I will definitely try the food out at Sloopy's. The place looks like it has tons of character and the vast array of burgers (ahem) intrigues me. I'll report back if its roadfood worthy.
TJK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/08 16:05:53 (permalink)
What a great report. Thanks. Burp.

What do you get in a $20 burrito at El Tepeyac?

TJK
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/13 10:07:42 (permalink)

Fantastic report as always, Dale!

Would have loved for you to have stopped by A's Burgers in Dana Point, Hapi Sushi and Taco Loco in Laguna Beach, but ya can't eat everywhere, so maybe next time.

Happy trails!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/13 12:18:01 (permalink)
I have enjoyed your reports of the wide variety of foods you found during your visit to SoCal. I would add a couple of places for a future list.

Of the 'local-chain' Burgers I do like In-n-Out, but will drive further out of my way for one of the Farmer Boy's Burgers. Not only are the Burgers "larger", but I love to add Bacon and Avocado on a Burger and their "Farmer Burger" does just that. I also love large thick Onion Rings (Cut an inch-and-a-half thick) and long Squash Spears battered and deep-fied. Both of these sides are done "Just Right" for my tastes. The Breakfast Plates and large Salads are pretty good and a budget value too. 

Years ago, when there was just ONE Farmer Boys stand ( near March A F B ) They were an outstanding bargain. When we last visited one- near the Ontario Mills Mall- it was just as good as the original.

Another place I would add to a list of 'must-visits' is at the other end of the 'price spectrum'. Las Briscas overlooking the Cove in Laguna Beach has always been a family favorite of ours, for "Nice Places" to go to enjoy the ambience as well as a quality lunch or dinner.

Angelo's, at the south end of Oceanside on the Coast Highway, is a local institution that fills the description as a "Dump or Dive" rather well. We used to love stopping there for Burgers and Tacos on our way to and from some of the Southern beach points.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/13 12:51:01 (permalink)
TJK

I just noticed your question now..
I Think the only difference with the $20 burrito is that it's 3x the size of the one I had and my burrito was gi-normous, in other words it feeds a family of 4.

Dean,

Thanks for the compliment....you know if I had more vacation time I would have spent a couple of days in Phoenix with hopes of catching a diamondbacks game with the roof  open (instead of closed like it was last time) I'm hoping for another return to the west coast (and Phoenix) perhaps in 2011, hopefully we could share a meal then and I can consider your recs in the LA area..

Al

Thanks....You know how much I wanted to go to Farmer Boys...I really wanted to try that Avocado Bacon Burger-  unfortunately due to eating  the entire Apple Pan burger (burger #3) and the unbelielably hellacious traffic on the Santa Monica freeway, it just wasn't feasible...Again, its something on my "must list" for next time.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/13 13:32:26 (permalink)

You're always welcome to give me a holler when in PHX.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/20 08:52:17 (permalink)
Thanks for taking the time to write a great trip report, wj!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/22 01:14:22 (permalink)
I'm now just catching up on threads, and this is truly a "tour de force." You do a great job of blending the food with the surrounding culture!

The lamb dip and the mahi tacos looked particularly great, and the L.A. Sushi place looked fun. Sorry to hear the burgers were disappointing.

Another great thing about this report is that I improved my roadfood vocabulary: I now know what it means to "be travelin' manned"!

brickie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/22 08:01:09 (permalink)
WOW!
Thanks for sharing
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/24 12:03:20 (permalink)
Fantastic report.  I just wasted an hour missing my old haunts in SoCal.  I must say, next time, you need to go to Father's Office.  Also, the Japanese neighborhood at Sawtelle and Olympic will be worth your while too.

Again, thanks.  Just great.
sop that
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/05/24 13:59:02 (permalink)
Dale,

Great report!  You saw more of SoCal in 9 days then I have in 20 years!  Now I have plenty of great ideas for local Roadfood.

Tito's Tacos is an interesting place, always packed, but the lines move fast.

Las Briscas is a regular for us, I really love the food there and the views are priceless.

Joe
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/09/19 04:21:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew

out of all of the Pork Sandwiches I had on the Memphis Presidents Day Weekend Trip this past February, this one was the best, too bad it was in Nashville during my layover of my Southern California Trip...

WJ, I am obviously late to the party on this but was looking for something in Manhattan Beach (a place I loved & forget the name of, but not Sloopys sadly...).

Anyway, quote above is because I really loved my Neely's experience years back and am SO glad you loved their pulled pork sandwich too. Mmmmmm.

Amazing report! Cheers.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2009/09/21 18:57:32 (permalink)
cecif

wanderingjew

out of all of the Pork Sandwiches I had on the Memphis Presidents Day Weekend Trip this past February, this one was the best, too bad it was in Nashville during my layover of my Southern California Trip...

WJ, I am obviously late to the party on this but was looking for something in Manhattan Beach (a place I loved & forget the name of, but not Sloopys sadly...).

Anyway, quote above is because I really loved my Neely's experience years back and am SO glad you loved their pulled pork sandwich too. Mmmmmm.

Amazing report! Cheers.

Ceci

Better late than never,

I've visited Neely's Memphis location in 2005 and it was an amazing sandwich, the one at the Airport in Nashville was really almost as good but was better than the disappointing pork bbq I had at Payne's and Leonards this past February
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal Part 2 4/18 updated! 2009/12/08 12:26:15 (permalink)
Wow, Wanderingjew, fantastic report!!! I had never seen this. You certainly ate well I can't believe I'd never seen this... you went to some of my favorite places in Southern California, El Tepeyac, There's No Place Like Home (that's what I've always called it ), The Farmer's Market, Father's Office (sort of ), Hodad's, Oki Dog, Fidel's, The Cottage.....

I've heard amazing things about The California Roll Factory but I've never been...now you make want to drop everything and drive there immediately.

.....and that chocolate fro-y with reeses peanut butter cup topping from Froglanders just looks way too good:

....again, awesome report!
u12rd04
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal finale 4/25 updated on 5/6 2010/02/08 14:30:03 (permalink)
Kidd Valley, Now you're talking! Did you find good eats in Olvera Street/ Years ago, still a Tourist trap fun just the same.
bigflyer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal Part 4 4/20updated on 4/28 2010/03/14 13:05:42 (permalink)
I'm new to Roadfood and recently took a trip to San Diego from my home near Boston. I have some info on roadfood joints to post, but I do not know the correct procedures. Could someone offer whether it is proper to reply to the Beach Bums Trip Report or should I begin anew?
Thanks!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Beach Bums and Bleached Blondes- So-Cal-09 The Real Deal Part 4 4/20updated on 4/28 2010/03/14 13:11:07 (permalink)
bigflyer

I'm new to Roadfood and recently took a trip to San Diego from my home near Boston. I have some info on roadfood joints to post, but I do not know the correct procedures. Could someone offer whether it is proper to reply to the Beach Bums Trip Report or should I begin anew?
Thanks!

Welcome to Roadfood. If you're starting a trip report, you can certainly start a-new. My trip report is almost a year old so it's always good to get fresh information,
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1