Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HankNBugsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
2006/07/03 12:45:23 (permalink)

Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger)

Are bean burgers strictly a Texas burger, or do they make them in other states? Beef patty, refried beans, Fritos corn chips or nacho chips, grilled onions, cheddar cheese, jalapenos. My favorite, and as far as I'm concerned, the best burger in Texas, is at Specht's Store just outside San Antonio. It will make your eyes roll back in your head from sheer pleasure at the first bite.

49 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/03 13:21:48 (permalink)
    While I wouldn't mind trying a hamburger with refried beans, grilled onions, cheddar and jalapenos, you lost me with the chips.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/03 14:18:42 (permalink)
    the first time a friend of mine ordered one, I thought he'd lost his mind. But then I tried the one at Spechts, and OMG it was SO delicious! Specht's breaks tradition and uses a red corn chip on theirs, but it definitely works!
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/04 08:12:30 (permalink)
    That does sound good, I have added potato chips to burgers but not cornchips
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/04 13:52:24 (permalink)
    My bil adds cold pork and beans to his burgers. Blech.

My mother used to make a mixture called Mexican burgers when we were growing up. It also used pork and beans, and was a kind of sloppy joe, but not with tomato sauce and not sweet at all. I think it was Mexican in the sense that adding beans made a recipe ethnic in the oh-so-daring sixties and seventies. It's pretty laughable now.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/08 02:16:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HankNBugsy

Are bean burgers strictly a Texas burger, or do they make them in other states? Beef patty, refried beans, Fritos corn chips or nacho chips, grilled onions, cheddar cheese, jalapenos. My favorite, and as far as I'm concerned, the best burger in Texas, is at Specht's Store just outside San Antonio. It will make your eyes roll back in your head from sheer pleasure at the first bite.
    I thought this was mainly a specialty of the San Antonio area and I have it on my list of things to check out next time I get over that way.

But I did a little searching and found a couple in the Houston area - Tookie's in Seabrook has a bean burger on their menu and a place called Mama's Cafe on Westheimer I've never heard of.

Looks like I may have a reason to head over to Tookie's other than the onion rings.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/08 23:10:19 (permalink)
    If the Mama's Cafe on Westheimer is a part of the same chain we have in San Antonio you can give it a pass. Food is okay, normal average generic American grill, but nothing to get particularly excited about.

Let me know how the ones at Tookie's are - we get to Houston for horse shows once in a while.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/09 09:19:21 (permalink)
    Indeed it is: http://mamascafe.net/default.htm I had no idea. Looks like this is the only one outside SA.

When I first saw the name I was reminded of a Harry Shearer line: 'Never eat at a place called 'Mom's,' never play cards with a man called 'Pops,'....

I've never cared much for Tookie's but I'll probably go check this out.
    trix69y
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/14 23:01:33 (permalink)

FROM A SAN ANTONIO NATIVE NEWLY RETURNED RE: BEAN BURGERS

DOES ANYONE OVER THE AGE OF 55 remember the original and what was in it?

I agree that the current BEST of the best bean burgers AKA: Bulverde Burger is at Specht's Store in Bulverde, just north of San Antonio...bar none. Owner Kate Mangold has refined the original to keep it in the real realm and price range. The gourmet version at double the price is at Cappy's on Broadway and lacks the funky quality we have come to love, but is delicious. And of course Chris Madrid's for those who cannot manage the drive to Bulverde.

I believe the original may be have been invented in the early 1960's at a local Alamo Heights joint near the McNay Museum at Austin Hwy and N. New Braunfel's called Sill's Snack Shack, which went out of business about 1984. Someone recently told me that a Sill relative is making them again on the South Side of town, but I have no details...but would like to know if it is true.

I have made what I think is the original recipe for years for my family on an electric griddle. This is a favorite of kids. If memory serves, the layering of the burger is critical to the taste, as in any sandwich. And of course make sure you get some burger grease on that bun.

On top side of bun: mayo, cheeze whiz, coursely chopped onions

Then burger meat

On bottom of bun: mayo, refried beans, crushed original frito chips (no substitutions, fritos were invented here)

Do not adulterate it with lettuce, tomatoe, etc.

Anyone out there, let me know if I am close to the history or the recipe.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/15 13:30:38 (permalink)
    According to food historian John Edge Sill started serving the bean burgers in the early 1950s but didn't claim to have invented them. He gave credit to a serviceman stationed at Fort Sam Houston. In 1953 he switched to using the new fangled taste sensation Cheez Whiz, which had just come on the market, instead of a slice of American cheese. Sill always used Rosarita brand refritos.

According to Edge, Cheez Whiz goes on both halves of the toasted bun, the onions on the heel, the beans on the top of the patty and the Fritos crushed on top of that. No mention of mayo.

BTW, welcome to Roadfood. San Antonio has been underrepresented here.

Now, tell me about chihuahuas and puffy tacos and where to get the best

P.S. Does Specht's offer the Ring Burger? Edge says that goes back to Sill also.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/07/15 13:35:19 (permalink)
    quote:

Let me know how the ones at Tookie's are - we get to Houston for horse shows once in a while.
    I've tried this at home a couple of times and it's promising; I think I'll wait until I get over to San Antonio to get one made by experts.

Here's a review of Tookie's on Texas Burger Guy, just in case you get over this way and want to try it. http://texasburgerguy.blogspot.com/2005/06/review-16-tookies-burgers-seabrook.html I'd give Tookie's a little better score but I'm not fond of them. Their claim to fame is the squealer, a hamburger patty loaded with chopped, cooked bacon. I don't care for it; when I want a bacon burger I want a burger with added crisp smoked bacon, not a bacon flavored burger patty .

You guys should notify TBG about Specht's.

Ditto on the welcome to Roadfood.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/12 22:29:58 (permalink)
    Hey trix69y! I grew up here in SA, but missed out on Sill's. Do you remember Ackumpuckys on Perrin Beitel?

Oltheimer, I'm not sure if the ring burger is on Specht's menu, but I'll check next time I go. We try to take a long lunch every couple of months and run out there from the office.

I'll have to think about your puffy taco question - the first place that comes to mind is Sammy's in La Vernia (on Hwy 87 near FM 775) or maybe Norma's also on Hwy 87 but about seven miles closer towards San Antonio (inside Loop 1604). If you are coming across from Houston,
    these restaurants are about eight miles south of IH 10.

And here's my newbie question - what does TBG mean?
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/13 09:33:45 (permalink)
    TBG = Texas Burger Guy.

I'm hoping to get over that way soon but things keep coming up.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/13 11:00:58 (permalink)
    Let me know when you head this way, maybe we can can set up a roadfoodie meet?
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/14 12:07:00 (permalink)
    Where exactly in Lavernia is Sammy's? It's been a long time since I have been there.
    Been to Specht's Store community in the past,but not to eat.Maybe this weekend I may try to go there.
    It's close by,so it will be a little road trip easy on gas.Course having a Chevy metro helps too.
    I had a good hamburger at Texas 46 Grill,on Tx Hwy 46 in Bulverde,but don't know if they have bean burgers there.
    LaVernia keeps on growing,understand a lot of houses going up out that way.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/14 22:15:29 (permalink)
    Sammys is straight out 87 from 1604. It will be on your left after the Shell Station but before the 775 traffic light. They're closed on Sundays, so if you make the run, be sure to go on Saturday. You've actually got 5 choices for Mexican food out here - Norma's which is inside 1604 on 87 (on the right before Bill's Tractor)great taco salad, Auroras - on 1518 between 1346 and 1604 - good fajitas, Sammys - local favorite, a new restaurant I haven't tried yet but which is always packed called Olivias (on 1346 between 87 and 775, and Los Santos (also on 87) - which is best if you want breakfast under $5. For town with a population less than 1000, it shows how much we love food out here. You might also consider Buffalo Joes (on the left on 87 before Sammys) which is a delicious sandwich shop. Or, if you're willing to go a few miles farther, turn left at the second light onto 775 and go on into New Berlin to Britschke (sp?) Station - the desserts are worth the trip.

La Vernia has grown a lot. I've been out here right at 6 years and its already changed. We've gotten big enough to get a Sonic, a Dollar General, and a second traffic light!
    HollyDolly
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/15 09:35:57 (permalink)
    " />Wow, Didn't know there was a restaraunt on 1346 called Olivias.I have been to Auroras,and they do have good food.Maybe Saturday I'll try to take a run out that way.Wow a Sonic! Yeah both Schertz and Cibolo now have Dollar General stores.Been to New Berlin many times,but never at at Britschke Station.
    Wasn't sure if Aurora's was still there or not.
    Thanks for the tips.HankNBugsy,you rock!
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/15 15:14:01 (permalink)
    Olivia's is fairly new, went in where Fibber Magees pizza was just past the Dollar General, on the left before it dead ends into 775.

I counted last night - we have 16 restaurants in a ten mile radius.
    HollyDolly
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/15 16:57:35 (permalink)
    Wow,that's alot.Boy the area around San Antonio keeps growing and growing.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4041
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/15 18:08:02 (permalink)
    This says it all.......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000003RDS001008/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_008/102-8451064-3412103
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/15 22:23:13 (permalink)
    Barbecue - Wittes (inexpensive, good, dive), Texas Pride (expensive, good)
    Steaks: The Steak Co. (don't bother, management changed); Next Door (New Berlin-good, inexpensive)
    General: Busy Bear (good tortillas, mediocre food); Brietzke Station (New Berlin - excellent); Ranch House (St. Hedwig-don't bother); Frankies (just closed); Buffalo Joes - wonderful; Maverick Cafe (Floresville - fabulous); Radicke's - used to be good, but was sold this past year and quality has tanked)
    Mexican: Norma's, Aurora's, Sammy's, Los Santos, Olivia's
    Chains: Sonic, Dairy Queen, Subway
    Butcher: Lone Oak Grocery (dive - but great cuts of meat, and good sausage
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/16 04:12:12 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks for all the listings. I don't know much about that part of Texas but it looks like if I ever get over that way I won't have to worry about going hungry .

I'll try to give you a heads up if I'm headed that way --- if I have enough warning myself! I'm retired and just like to hit the road sometimes and don't really know where I'm going until I get there .
    HollyDolly
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/16 11:06:16 (permalink)
    oltheimmer,check out www.texasescapes.com,they may have some information on LaVernia and New Berlin
    etc.or go to Texas Handbook on Line.It lists people places,and things in our great state and has information on lots of towns around here.You can also go to MapQuest and look for St.Hedwig and LaVernia.I don't know if either two has a website,but both New Braunfels,Gonzales and Seguin do have city websites,and these twons are also county seats as is Castroville,west of San Antonio which has an Alsatian restaraunt or two.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/16 21:34:48 (permalink)
    No worries oltheimmer, if you do get out this way just IM me - I have yahoo on my phone. even if i can't get free i can always at least give you directions to where you want to be!
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/17 21:29:30 (permalink)
    HankNBugsy and HollyDolly thanks for your expressions of hospitality. I'll look forward to an opportunity to take you up on them. It's about time we Texas Roadfooders had some sort of gettogether instead of leaving all the fun to the folks back East.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/08/17 21:36:44 (permalink)
    Definitely agreed!
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/09/26 01:39:59 (permalink)
    Okay, I'm a believer. I made the 80 mile round trip trek to Seabrook today to try the Bean Burger:

Tookie's Bean Burger with their famous (and very good) thick cut onion rings.

That's a very good burger, much better than I expected and much better than my attempts at home (and much better than Tookie's much hyped Squealer).

It was very messy. I wore a shirt that was just out of the laundry over the weekend -- it's in the washer again right now with some special stain removing stuff. I sure hope I can save it.

A very helpful waiter who was going off duty said it's even better with extra jalapenos. My waitress said it's best to order them on the side because they put a lot on them.

It was kind of pricey -- $4.98 for the burger, about the size of a BK Whopper perhaps (I haven't been to BK in several years); the ORs are $3.99.

HollyDolly
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/09/26 09:33:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the photo.Boy those are big onion rings,and you are right about the burger.Never tried to make one at home.I think EZ's Brick Oven Grill also makes a bean burger,but I have never trIED IT.
    HankNBugsy
    Hamburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/09/30 11:17:39 (permalink)
    Whoohoo! a convert Actually, Tookie's looks somewhat messier than the norm, but does look delicious.

HollyDolly - funny you should mention EZs. We had lunch brought to the office from there this week, and I had their version of a beanburger. Don't waste your $$. The yuppified blackbeans they put on it were no substitute for lard laden taste oozing refried beans, they skimped on the cheese, and overcooked the burger (read hockey puck).
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Bean Burgers (not same as veggie burger) 2006/09/30 22:58:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Whoohoo! a convert Actually, Tookie's looks somewhat messier than the norm, but does look delicious.

Thanks for turning me on to this. I had read about it in John Edge's Hamburgers and Fries but wasn't really turned on by the concept.

But are you suggesting there could be such a thing as a bean burger that isn't messy " />" />. This cannot be.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1