Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Beans (no Texans allowed)

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46
Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Thu, 05/13/04 12:41 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

If you're going to make this bean soup why not use lima beans?

EEEOUGH!

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
    RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Thu, 05/13/04 1:31 PM (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with limas!!

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
      RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Thu, 05/13/04 2:03 PM (permalink)
      I've been known to add a can of each: Kidney, Pinto, Cannelini, Black. Colorful, and I think very tasty. Here in NE CT, anything goes!

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Fri, 05/14/04 8:26 AM (permalink)
        I love lima beans but not in my chili. I like to cook limas with a ham bone. I like the dried, frozen and fresh limas. I always use them in my vegetable soup but not my chili
        quote:
        Originally posted by pogophiles

Nothing wrong with limas!!

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
          RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Tue, 06/22/04 9:24 PM (permalink)
          This third genTexan loves pintos in his chili, specifically Bush’s pinto beans.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
            RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 06/23/04 12:20 AM (permalink)
            Another Texan votes for pintos.

msb2ncsu

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Mon, 07/12/04 4:59 PM (permalink)
              We always add beans to chili. It helps keep the chili more on the healthy side by limiting cholesterol and fat in the pot without sacrificing flavor.

We do 2 chilis... one is a 1 hour cook for Friday nights when watching a movie. We use light red kidney beans because the skin isn't quite as tough. The other chili is a good 3 hours in cooking and we use a dark red bean for that becaue the bean holds up better. Pinto beans are never used but work just fine in the short cook recipe. I just prefer the larger bean with more texture.

We have a chili cafe here in town offering Cinci chili, a Terlingua Red chili, a standard Texas spice chili, and a vegetarian chili. All come standard without beans but can be added for extra substance. Pretty good... give you a sampler tray when you arrive.

oldfrt

• Total Posts: 269
                RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Sun, 07/18/04 5:23 PM (permalink)
                I agree with Elsie T early on, I think the Kidney Beans are heartier and more "Meatier", so to speak. Pintos we use for making our own Refried beans and also with some ham and bacon for soup. The Pintos we buy here in Denver by the bag full and soak them for the final recipe.

As for Lima Beans, I LOVE EM!! The rest of the family hates them so guess what, we dont eat them around here that much unless I make them as a side dish for myself. Lots of butter on top with salt and pepper and, made with Ham, like emsmom said, I have not had in years! Gotta make some, thanks for the thought!

Don

Sasaku

• Total Posts: 63
                  RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Sat, 08/21/04 8:56 PM (permalink)
                  ALL BEANS
                  I love beans and ussually add whatever I find in the cabinet, but eventually theres more beans then chili so when I go bean crazy I have to make huge servings of chili.

HiredGoon

• Total Posts: 15
                    RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Mon, 09/27/04 12:02 AM (permalink)
                    I enjoy a good bowl of Texas Red. But I also like "chilibeans." My grandpa taught me that if there were beans in it, it was "chilibeans," if no beans, it was "chili."

When making "chilibeans" I always use pinto, and sometimes a mixture of half pinto, half black.

Never kidney beans!!!!

downtown

• Total Posts: 68
                      RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 10/6/04 4:49 PM (permalink)
                      there ya go hiredgoon. it's ok to put chili in beans, but not beans in chili. or shredded bbq meat is good in beans too. my mom likes kidneys in her "chilibeans", but I prefer pinto as well.

and hey folks, are lima beans and butter beans the same on this forum? to me, lima beans are those little green things (blech). but I have heard some people refer to those large yellow ones that go so good with ham as lima beans. to me those are butter beans and I love them.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                        RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 10/6/04 4:54 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by downtown

there ya go hiredgoon. it's ok to put chili in beans, but not beans in chili. or shredded bbq meat is good in beans too. my mom likes kidneys in her "chilibeans", but I prefer pinto as well.

and hey folks, are lima beans and butter beans the same on this forum? to me, lima beans are those little green things (blech). but I have heard some people refer to those large yellow ones that go so good with ham as lima beans. to me those are butter beans and I love them.

limas are those big flat nasty green things that don't belong in chile even outside the state of Texas

downtown

• Total Posts: 68
                          RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 10/6/04 6:00 PM (permalink)
                          thanks cake. that's what I thought. AND I agree.

Farfromhome

• Total Posts: 108
                            RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 10/6/04 6:36 PM (permalink)
                            Another Texan crashing the party here - pinto beans go really good on the side of a bowl of chili but if ya put it in the chili its not chili anymore (sorry to beat a dead horse here )

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Wed, 10/6/04 7:29 PM (permalink)
                              In this area (Kentuciana) the term Lima usually refers tot he smaller (Baby Lima) beans. When they get 'full-sized' most places call them Butter Beans...and no they don't belong in Chili (IMHO).
                              Now for a real step in the Cow-Pie. As my chili with Pinto's and maybe some Kidneys's gets close to ready...if it is a bit thin, I will add a large can of the Spicy Refried Beans and mix them in well. Man that thickens the stuff up like the Artery-Clogger it is meant to be. Like with my Split-Pea Soup, I prefer my Chili to be able to support the eating utensil vertically without other support!
                              While beef is the meat of choice, more often than not we use chunks and scraps of BBQ Pork Butt (lots of scraps and Carnitas available). They really add a good smokey flavor to the chili.

Aaaaaargh

• Total Posts: 21
                                RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) Fri, 10/15/04 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                I didn't know I liked pinto beans until I went to Chipotle. God bless those McDonald's owned vendors of burritoey goodness.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com