Helpful ReplyHot!Because there isnt a comedy forum.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 16:18:45 (permalink)
Well for what it's worth it's a Stern's reviewed restaurant with a 100% approval rating @ 59 votes right here on Roadfood
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/1104/dinosaur-barbque
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4121
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 17:40:34 (permalink)
Twinwillow
Well then, if MetroplexJim's prediction that Dinosaur BBQ does indeed open somewhere in the Dallas metroplex, then the folks who love Dickey's should have a new BBQ joint to try.

When we're in the need for a cheap protein infusion the Dickey's "Buy One Platter, Get Another Free" coupons are a bigger bargain than even this:

(We haven't tried the Golden Corral yet, but this deal is just so tempting; one of my colleagues swears she sometimes goes on a Friday night, orders an iced tea, and just sits and watches!).
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 17:50:54 (permalink)
Here's USA Today's list of The 10 Best BBQ Chains.

Of the one's I've been to, Red, Hot & Blue (#3) beats out the other two I have visited - Dickey's and Smoky Bones.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 17:59:31 (permalink)
My wonderful late father-in-law, a born and raised Texan and fireman, loved Red, Hot & Blue here in Dallas. I believe because he played country guitar, it was more for the (canned) music and guitar displays than the food. He was never a big eater. His meal at R,H&B was always a pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and, a Coors.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/08/06 18:13:27
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 18:15:50 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Of the one's I've been to, Red, Hot & Blue (#3) beats out the other two I have visited - Dickey's and Smoky Bones.

Thank goodness here in Dallas, we don't have to rely on chains for our BBQ.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 19:08:57 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Well for what it's worth it's a Stern's reviewed restaurant with a 100% approval rating @ 59 votes right here on Roadfood
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/1104/dinosaur-barbque

I noticed that the reviews are from 2005 & 2006. I would respectfully add, many things could change since then.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/07 09:40:29 (permalink)
"One of these days" Mrs. Metro and I will make the pilgrimage to Franklin BBQ. 

As much as I'd like to have the Presidential treatment (or even the Anthony Bourdain/ Chef Nobu treatment) I'm accepting of the fact that a lot of patience will be required.

Here is an extremely informative article of what to expect and what to do in order to have the privilege of having Aaron Franklin Himself slice some of his brisket for you.

---------------------

BTW:  as an economist and businessman, I believe that Mr. Franklin's entrepreneurship model is even more worthy of study than his pit mastering skills. 

Harvard Business School should do a case study of how he has managed to have him serving his BBQ brisket become the culinary equivalent of receiving Communion from the Pope.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/07 09:41:34
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18493
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/07 14:52:39 (permalink)
About 20 years ago Red, Hot & Blue opened a place in Columbus that lasted for about a year. I went there once. Just plain did not like the food. Apparently I was not the only one.
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1315
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/08 08:49:32 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
(We haven't tried the Golden Corral yet, but this deal is just so tempting; one of my colleagues swears she sometimes goes on a Friday night, orders an iced tea, and just sits and watches!).

I take a long trip about 4-5 times a year; I typically eat a salad at McDonald's or Subway on the way up, but on the way back, I usually stop at Golden Corral; for the price of a fast food restaurant, you have a much better meal, especially if you stick with the healthier, less processed choices they provide. I am still a couple of years short of senior, but when I give my age, they sometimes say, "close enough" and give me the discount anyway.

Bart
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/08 09:50:19 (permalink)
bartl
MetroplexJim

I take a long trip about 4-5 times a year; I typically eat a salad at McDonald's or Subway on the way up, but on the way back, I usually stop at Golden Corral; for the price of a fast food restaurant, you have a much better meal, especially if you stick with the healthier, less processed choices they provide. I am still a couple of years short of senior, but when I give my age, they sometimes say, "close enough" and give me the discount anyway.

Bart

You have a good point there.  Recently I lunched at Arby's and had a Reuben Sandwich (single meat) and a medium shake.  The bill was $8.36!  The Golden Corral AYCE and drink 'Senior Special' is only $7.45; that has to be a far better value.  I'm going to give it a try.
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/10 14:28:25 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

I'm surprised Rudy's didn't make the list. I've had Dickey's (in Washington State of all places!) just once and wasn't impressed. The only other one I've been to is Billy Sims and it's pretty good, depending on which location one patronizes. 

And going back to the original post, I've eaten at Iron Starr in OKC and it's actually very good, although the emphasis does seem to be on the sides.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/10 14:58:59 (permalink)
Rudy's is pretty much a 'Texas thing', only reaching the Metroplex in the last four years or so. 

But, they are now growing quickly as one of Phil Romano's (Macaroni Grill, Fuddrucker's, etc.) brands.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10289
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/10 15:51:06 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Rudy's is pretty much a 'Texas thing', only reaching the Metroplex in the last four years or so. 
 But, they are now growing quickly as one of Phil Romano's (Macaroni Grill, Fuddrucker's, etc.) brands.

We have several Rudy's in The Valley. 
They just catered a breakfast for our office with 250+ Beef Brisket Tacos & Pulled Pork Tacos. Actually more like Burritos.
Pork or Brisket, Eggs & Cheese. Pretty Good! (With Salsa or BBQ Sauce!)
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/08/10 15:52:09
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/10 17:01:12 (permalink)
If Rudy's or Dickey's were the only BBQ options for a BBQ meal, Rudy's would be first choice. Second choice? Drive on to the next town.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1315
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/31 14:05:39 (permalink)
OK, I ate at the Bluebird Barbecue in Burlington, VT on Thursday.

Good sign; the smokehouse is right in front, and you can see through the windows and smell the smoke coming from it on the way in.

I used the Yelp check-in for the free corn bread. Not too sweet, and a nice molasses butter on the side. And probably a heads up for the manager to come and pay the table a visit.

Based on the reviews, we both ordered the brisket. Three 1/4" thick slices slices, moist and tender. Nice, medium smoke, enough flavor that I could tell what wood was used (oak + hickory). Also, based on most of my barbecue experience, I ordered it with sauce on the side. They had three kinds; one that was sweet, hot, and otherwise unmemorable, a medium one that had a fruity tang  (I'm figuring tamarind, although given the locality, it might have been cranberry). They also had a mustard-based sauce; if they had barbecued lamb on the menu, it would have gone well.

Does it measure up to the places in the South? It is certainly not as good as the best, but it certainly holds itself up to many of the roadside stands I've visited down there.

On the side, we had french fries, cole slaw, and macaroni and cheese (I always try the last in any barbecue restaurant). The cole slaw was fresh and not too sweet (a good thing for me), the french fries were crisp and you could taste the potato (another plus for me). The macaroni and cheese was "properly" made (the sauce baked right in rather than poured over the macaroni, but that was the subject of another thread in Side Dishes), but I'm not sure I liked the "Vermont touch" of using VERY sharp cheddar cheese, which kind of overpowered the dish rather than blending into it. YMMV.

For a Northeastern barbecue place, pretty decent. Definitely worth going to if you're in the area (I'm used to the yuppified restaurants there; the kind with names like "The Incontinent Donkey"), but not worth a a trip or even a detour.

Bart
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1111
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/31 21:46:55 (permalink)
Twin... Rudy's or Dickey's. Seriously. I would walk out into my back yard and let the fire ants eat me.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/01 02:10:38 (permalink)
brisketboy
I'm lookin' at these two in Austin and I never heard of them.

Lambert's is mentioned on the Texas Monthly Top 50 list.

I've been there. It is overpriced, yuppified, date night barbecue....that actually tasted pretty good.

It's not served on butcher paper. You don't order at the pits. They have sides and desserts.  So, it's pretty much like no other barbecue joint in central Texas.

Regarding Dinosaur, if you are comparing it to Franklin's, there is no comparison. But, you likely won't have to decide between Franklin's and Dinosaur any time soon, since neither is likely to be in the other's city any time soon. Dinosaur is better than a LOT of other barbecue that is out there.

But, as for the list, in general, it would appear that the population of restaurants from which Open Table users chose were restaurants that are Open Table members. I would guess that a Venn diagram showing barbecue restaurants that are members of Open Table would yield very few results....hence the list.
foodcarnie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/01 13:33:25 (permalink)
Dinosaurs BBQ is not consistent and simply not good bbq.  It is very tough to find a good bbq place in this country but a good starting point is if the owner cooks on a competition BBQ team.  Key work being owner/cook.  It is also hard to establish what is good based on regional BBQ "styles".  As a BBQ judge and travelling to numerous BBQ joints in OK, NY, ID, UT, CA, TX, OR, MT etc I have tasted hundreds of BBQ chicken, pork, ribs, and brisket, and there are some places that hit it, Dinosaurs simply doesn't.  Franklins and Stubbs in Austin hard to go wrong.  My favorites are R&R in Salt Lake City, Seymours BBQ in upstate NY, Smoking Pig BBQ in San Jose and Ports BBQ in Eureka.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/01 19:51:54 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
it would appear that the population of restaurants from which Open Table users chose were restaurants that are Open Table members. I would guess that a Venn diagram showing barbecue restaurants that are members of Open Table would yield very few results....hence the list.

I get that and agree with it

That said, it becomes especially sad when a restaurant appears on a list of bbq restaurants when said restaurant does not serve bbq
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/02 02:05:26 (permalink)
foodcarnie, is Seymour's the one in Westmoreland, NY?  If so, I went there for breakfast with my family and was really unimpressed.  I may have to give them another shot and try the BBQ.  Can you recommend any specific BBQ dishes of theirs that stood out to you?  

I've been a HUGE booster of Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on the forums and wrote a review for the Harlem, NYC location.  They do so many things, so well, so consistently, though I have read about recent negative experiences by fellow RFers at the Syracuse location.  Though I get to Syracuse quite a bit I haven't been there in 4-5 years.  Think I need to make it a priority and see if it still holds up for me.

I've always had great food at the Harlem, NYC location
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/02 16:34:44 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davwud
Ed Face
I am not a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ, I have been to the one here in Rochester & the original in Syracuse, I think they are only okay, very trendy, but the food is nothing spectacular. I'd rather sit on wooden bench and eat real BBQ in the south or Texas.

Agreed. We went to the orginal and found it very average at best. Don't get all the hype.

DT

Interesting, all throughout the forums, a negative word was never spoken about Dinosaur BBQ...EVER!.... and now two negative comments on one thread...

WJ, there have been negative comments about Dinosaur in the past.  Not sure where you were looking.  I had some chili at the Harlem location that I really didn't like:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pigtrippin-in-New-York-City-with-pics-m500573.aspx?high=dinosaur+chili

And while I did enjoy most of my meal, I had mixed feelings about the meat at the Rochester location: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/A-Double-Dose-of-Central-NY-for-RUSH-and-131-miles-laterTHE-GRAND-FINALE-m617005.aspx

The Syracuse location had an illness issue back in 2006:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Dinosaur-Bbq-m254417.aspx?high=illness

I know others on the forums have mentioned a drop off in quality (in Syracuse) prior to this thread.  It's not that no negative comments (EVER!) have been on the forums but I think they are few and far between for Dinosaur.  I've never had barbecue in Memphis, Texas or the Carolinas so I have no basis for comparison.  I don't think they are trying to "be" one particular style (which can be a death knell for many restaurants) but I have had so many good experiences in Syracuse and Harlem over multiple decades that I keep going back.  

I've had a few misses from time to time, a recipe I thought had changed, meat too fatty on occasion, misordering on my part and I really do believe that no restaurant is capable of being perfect every single night.  Just my two cents.
post edited by billyboy - 2014/09/02 19:25:13
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/02 19:09:58 (permalink)
I think Dinosaur would be a big hit in Dallas as they are a BBQ restaurant, as opposed to the butcher shop vibe that is so appreciated elsewhere here in Texas (meat wrapped in butcher paper together with often indifferent sides served in styro cups + slices of commercial white bread).  "Rustic" wears thin real quick in the Big-D.
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1111
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/02 20:46:53 (permalink)
I've seen a lot of posts for a Famous Dave's opening. Let me know when they post a Famous Dave's closing. I'll be sure to attend.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/03 07:28:04 (permalink)
brisketboy
I've seen a lot of posts for a Famous Dave's opening. Let me know when they post a Famous Dave's closing. I'll be sure to attend.

It appears that Famous Dave's is venturing to Dallas. 
In that, they will succeed.
Evidence?
Even Dickey's succeeds here, despite the sneers of all of us who "know better".

When 'better' involves a long line, sky-high prices, and butcher paper (e.g., Lockhart Smoke House in ultra-rich Plano) the time-pressed locals will flock to a Famous Dave's/Dinosaur-type establishment.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/03 09:07:21 (permalink)
I can't wrap my hands around Lockhart Smokehouse opening a second location. I've been to their original location a few times and thought it was just OK, but nothing worthy of a second locale.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/06 08:32:11 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
I can't wrap my hands around Lockhart Smokehouse opening a second location. I've been to their original location a few times and thought it was just OK, but nothing worthy of a second locale.

They have a big hunk of venture capital behind them. 

Having suffered through an hour and a half experience there I predict those many fortunate in Plano who can take a two hour lunch will soon tire of getting stains on their Charvet ties. 

That said, the cachet of the word "Lockhart" has led to a high demand for their catering.  But, only high quality will sustain that demand beyond it's present 'fad' success.  The 'quality' on my visit was 'meh'.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/09/06 23:50:49 (permalink)
brisketboy
Famous Dave's opened in the P&L district in KC and, I believe, didn't
last a year. A testament to KC'ers good sense.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2014/09/06 23:52:46
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1