Helpful ReplyHot!Because there isnt a comedy forum.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
2014/08/01 15:59:09 (permalink)

Because there isnt a comedy forum.

I may cancel my open table membership.
http://www.opentable.com/m/best-BBQ-restaurants-in-america/
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7890
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 16:01:48 (permalink)
Maybe it's me, but for some reason I don't find some of these selections funny at all..
Ed Face
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 18:27:50 (permalink)
I am not a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ, I have been to the one here in Rochester & the original in Syracuse, I think they are only okay, very trendy, but the food is nothing spectacular. I'd rather sit on wooden bench and eat real BBQ in the south or Texas.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4193
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 19:09:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2014/08/01 19:51:13
Ahem ... (before panties get too wadded):

These are the 'best BBQ restaurants'. 
They take reservations and have table service.
As such, they are quite different from the typical, traditional 'cue joint.

Just today, Mrs. Metro and I had a delightful lunch at Smoke, a Dallas Restaurant that serves barbecue.   The food was wonderful; frankly, it was nice to enjoy good barbeque with a heavy linen napkin in my lap.

The bread presentation:

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 19:39:03 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Just today, Mrs. Metro and I had a delightful lunch at Smoke, a Dallas Restaurant that serves barbecue.   The food was wonderful; frankly, it was nice to enjoy good barbeque with a heavy linen napkin in my lap.

The bread presentation:

I thought Texas BBQ bread presentation was like this:

Oh, the horror!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 20:00:58 (permalink)
Jack Perkins, the irascible owner of The Slow Bone BBQ in Dallas, one Dallas' best BBQ joints will not serve white bread. Period! "Bread" come only in the form of (fabulous) hush puppies, corn bread, or custom baked rolls.
https://www.facebook.com/TheSlowBone
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 20:04:05 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Ahem ... (before panties get too wadded):

These are the 'best BBQ restaurants'. 
They take reservations and have table service.
As such, they are quite different from the typical, traditional 'cue joint.

The bread presentation:

A huge second for Smoke! They do a great Sunday brunch, too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/01 21:18:39 (permalink)
To make matters worse, the two restaurants listed for Cincinnati - two locations of Montgomery Inn - don't even serve barbeque

They have ribs, pulled pork, pork chops, sausage - the kind of meats that in general one will find in bbq establishments, but none of what is served at Montgomery Inn is smoked low and slow.   Instead, it is boiled and/or grilled meat slathered with a very sweet catsup based "barbeque" sauce, generally with more of said sauce served on the side.

Near as I can tell, the voters involved simply don't know what bbq is. 

To be fair, tho, I didn't either until I started reading the articles and posts on this site.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/08/02 01:26:15
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 00:24:50 (permalink)
If it wasn't for this list, I would have never known about this place!
http://www.bobbyq.net/#about
It's owned and was started by the guy who started Bobby McGee's.
Good reviews on Urbanspoon and others.
I need to try it out even though it's on the other side of town.
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 11:08:50 (permalink)
I note that there is nothing on the list in the quadrant east of the Mississippi and south of Maryland. On the other hand, I AM going up to Burlington, VT in a couple of weeks.

Bart
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 11:12:44 (permalink)
Ed Face
I am not a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ, I have been to the one here in Rochester & the original in Syracuse, I think they are only okay, very trendy, but the food is nothing spectacular. I'd rather sit on wooden bench and eat real BBQ in the south or Texas.

You're the first person on the forum that I can recall who felt that way. All along I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Dinosaur BBQ . The Sterns even included the Rochester location on the Buffalo Bus tour 5 years ago.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 11:33:04 (permalink)
Twinwillow
Jack Perkins, the irascible owner of The Slow Bone BBQ in Dallas, one Dallas' best BBQ joints will not serve white bread. Period! "Bread" come only in the form of (fabulous) hush puppies, corn bread, or custom baked rolls.

Michael,
We found ourselves in the industrial parks off the Stemmons yesterday to straighten up an oriental rug cleaning 'issue'.  I thought 'as long as we were in that area' we'd try Smoke for the first time, so we went the back way to avoid the canyon construction mess.

When we were passing Slow Bone on Wycliff I really had to do some talking not to change my plan on the spot.  She had never been until a few weeks ago; she loved it!  We both enjoyed Smoke, I more than she; she kept yakking about the brisket at Slow Bone. 

My only 'complaint' about Slow Bone is that they do not offer pulled pork.  The 'plate' I had at Smoke was the best BBQ meal I've had so far in Texas:  pulled whole hog w/ Eastern Carolina sauce, 2 ribs, and Andouille.  Individually, I've had better.  But, together on the same plate!  I'll be back!  
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4633
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 11:47:21 (permalink)
That looks like a problem with the open table clientele.
They don't seem to intersect with the geography of bbq
Ed Face
Junior Burger
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 12:11:14 (permalink)
To Wanderingjew, I don't think Dinosaur is lousy, I find the BBQ just okay. I know many people who love it, I know two places locally that have better meat, The Beale in Rochester & Good Smoke in East Rochester & both have superior sides. That's just my opinion.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10384
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 12:59:18 (permalink)
I certainly don't think Dinosaur BBQ is one of the top bbq parlors, but for being north of the Mason-Dixon line, it is pretty good. Sides-wise, those fresh cut fries are excellent. By the way, I am writing this from a booth at Dinosaur.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 14:46:00 (permalink)
Metroplex makes a good point. It's not about geography, it's about places that take reservations. I can't think of a single iconic bbq joint that takes reservations.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 15:19:42 (permalink)
mr. sausage
Metroplex makes a good point. It's not about geography, it's about places that take reservations. I can't think of a single iconic bbq joint that takes reservations.

If they did I'd be calling Franklin's right now and be on my way to Austin!
Ed Face
Junior Burger
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 15:21:49 (permalink)
Which Dinosaur are you at?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/02 17:39:35 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Twinwillow

Michael,
We found ourselves in the industrial parks off the Stemmons yesterday to straighten up an oriental rug cleaning 'issue'.  I thought 'as long as we were in that area' we'd try Smoke for the first time, so we went the back way to avoid the canyon construction mess.

When we were passing Slow Bone on Wycliff I really had to do some talking not to change my plan on the spot.  She had never been until a few weeks ago; she loved it!  We both enjoyed Smoke, I more than she; she kept yakking about the brisket at Slow Bone. 

My only 'complaint' about Slow Bone is that they do not offer pulled pork.  The 'plate' I had at Smoke was the best BBQ meal I've had so far in Texas:  pulled whole hog w/ Eastern Carolina sauce, 2 ribs, and Andouille.  Individually, I've had better.  But, together on the same plate!  I'll be back!  

Jim, I laughed like hell  reading this comment from you. Personally, as much as I love Slow Bone, I think you did the right thing by going to Smoke (this time).

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/03 08:20:45 (permalink)
Ed Face

Agreed. We went to the orginal and found it very average at best. Don't get all the hype.

DT
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/05 21:09:41 (permalink)
Today, Mrs. Metro and I had lunch at the new Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano.  As good as the brisket was, I felt like these kind folks were my hosts. 

Frankly, waiting in a slow moving line to get meat wrapped in butcher paper and sides served in styrofoam is more than a bit tedious, however fine what's in the butcher paper may be. 

I must face the fact that I am not a masochist.

And, even in Texas, I am not alone insisting on a little service and ambiance when I dine out.  The first barbeque restaurant I ever patronized was the original Red, Hot & Blue in Arlington, VA.  It was a revelation then and is still satisfying.  And, I note they have nine successful locations of long-standing pecuniary success here in the DFW Metroplex.  

So, it's about damn time that Dinosaur comes to DFW; they are opening soon in Chicago so it won't be long.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/06 09:59:52
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 10:33:01 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
And, even in Texas, I am not alone insisting on a little service and ambiance when I dine out.  The first barbeque restaurant I ever patronized was the original Red, Hot & Blue in Arlington, VA.  It was a revelation then and is still satisfying.  And, I note they have nine successful locations of long-standing pecuniary success here in the DFW Metroplex.  

Jim, the Red, Hot & Blue in Arlington was the second barbeque restaurant I ever patronized (Pierces Pit was the first). The Arlington R,H&B was partly owned by noted Republican political operative, Lee Atwater. My wife and I were eating dinner there the night Lee Atwater resigned as head of the Republican National Committee for health reasons (he had terminal cancer). During dinner we observed a commotion at the front of the restaurant. Atwater along with his entourage had come to his restaurant after his resignation speech. (lots of drinks, toasts and back-slapping)
Red, Hot & Blue still has a number of restaurants in the DC area. They seem to come and go. We still occasionally eat at the one in Herndon.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 10:45:57 (permalink)
Davwud
Ed Face

Agreed. We went to the orginal and found it very average at best. Don't get all the hype.

DT

Interesting, all throughout the forums, a negative word was never spoken about Dinosaur BBQ...EVER!.... and now two negative comments on one thread...
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 10:48:01 (permalink)
After our Lockhart Smokehouse 'experience' the next time we wait in a line that is more than 10 minutes will be at Franklins (when and if we ever get motivated to drive the 230 miles).  In the meantime there are a number of places around here that serve excellent 'que sans lines et avec plates:  Hutchins, Clark's Outpost, & Slow Bone.

Even this morning, I'm still laughing at myself for standing in that chain-gang line at Lockhart.  The absurdity of that brought this to mind

Here is the review I posted about our experience:

I really have to laugh ...
At all the Lexus and Benz parked in the hot Texas sun whilst their owners are waiting in a long, slow moving line to pay ultra-premium prices for a skillfully prepared cheap cut of beef, then to be served it wrapped in butcher paper together with mediocre sides served in Styrofoam. C'mon, people. REALLY!?!?

If you want to eat wonderfully prepared cheap cuts of beef served 'rustically', may I suggest a trip to Bolivia?

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/06 10:50:18
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 10:54:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Today, Mrs. Metro and I had lunch at the new Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano.  As good as the brisket was, I felt like these kind folks were my hosts. 

Frankly, waiting in a slow moving line to get meat wrapped in butcher paper and sides served in styrofoam is more than a bit tedious, however fine what's in the butcher paper may be. 

I must face the fact that I am not a masochist.

And, even in Texas, I am not alone insisting on a little service and ambiance when I dine out.  

So, it's about damn time that Dinosaur comes to DFW; they are opening soon in Chicago so it won't be long.

Jim, the experience you described eating at Lockhart Smokehouse is exactly why this BBQ loving Texan will not eat there anymore. I've been to the original (Oak Cliff) location twice and was terribly disappointed in everything both times. 
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 10:57:35 (permalink)
Never ate at the Dinosaur Barbecue, but I DO buy their barbecue sauce. It's certainly up to the quality of other mass marketed sauce, but it has the lowest sugar content of ANY mass marketed non-diet barbecue sauce.

Bart
brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 11:18:55 (permalink)
I'm lookin' at these two in Austin and I never heard of them.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 14:40:53 (permalink)

As a resident of Austin from '07 to spring of last year, I (we) had plenty of chances to hit all the pits from Lockhart to Taylor, Elgin to Driftwood. The places with the best meat seem to put little to no emphasis on the side dishes. I probably liked the sides at Blacks the most as far as the "old guard" joints went. That may just be because I recall them having a bit more variety. The older I get, the less often I'm willing to wait in line to eat, so I do appreciate being able to eat good bbq at a sit down place. When I lived in New Orleans, I worked near Uglesich's and didn't mind waiting in line for lunch. Anthony had already told me they were winding down and I wanted to eat everything there twice before they retired. If I go to a restaurant that requires a wait these days, it's almost always a place with great drinks. If I must cool my heels before dining, at least I can have a couple of pops. 
Lamberts, in downtown Austin, probably did the best job with elevating the whole bbq experience when they opened up in, I think, 2008. They didn't get a whole lot of love from the purists but there was no denying how good the food was/is (haven't been there in a couple years). Before we moved to Tennessee last year, our new favorite was Stile Switch. Lines weren't insane like at Franklin and the 'que was pretty comparable. Not upscale like Lamberts, more of a cafeteria type thing, and definitely worth a visit should anybody find themselves in Austin.

And Brisketboy, I never heard of those two places either.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 15:06:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby foodcarnie 2014/09/01 13:23:52
wanderingjew
Ed Face

You're the first person on the forum that I can recall who felt that way. All along I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Dinosaur BBQ . The Sterns even included the Rochester location on the Buffalo Bus tour 5 years ago.

I'm fairly certain I've voiced my opinion on the Dino here... I'd go even further than the other folks on this thread though, the Syracuse location is disgusting. They may get it right occasionally, but the last three meals I ever had there, I wouldn't have fed to a starving dog. A lot of people I know who previously raved about it have jumped ship also.
Enduring long lines and rude staff, only to be served old looking, wrung out, dried out (or cold and mushy) "bbq" (the contents of my last few meals there)... no thanks. I work within a short walk of there, and I'd rather drive a few miles in the opposite direction to get something more edible.

10+ years ago, it was the best place anywhere in the central NY area for bbq. Not anymore.

I cannot say the same for any of the other locations, I haven't been and don't plan to. They may be just fine, and I do occasionally get one of their sauces at the store if I'm in the mood for it.
post edited by SeamusD - 2014/08/06 15:13:01
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Because there isnt a comedy forum. 2014/08/06 15:53:34 (permalink)
Well then, if MetroplexJim's prediction that Dinosaur BBQ does indeed open somewhere in the Dallas metroplex, then the folks who love Dickey's should have a new BBQ joint to try.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1