Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Beef Jerky

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47
Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
Beef Jerky Fri, 06/27/03 11:03 AM (permalink)
Rarely do I take a roadtrip without picking up some beef jerky somewhere along the way. Beef jerky and Dr. Pepper make a great combo; perfect for relieving the boredom when one is forced to drive on the Interstates.

Anyway, I thought of this after reading one of goldsborscht's posts today, and I need to make a suggestion:

Goldsborscht: I failed to mention before that when you are in Johnson City, TX this summer, you need to stop there and buy some Whittington's beef jerky. It's thick-cut, made right there in Johnson City, and is my all-time favorite.

I'm also wondering what other favorite jerkys y'all can recommend around the country, whether it's beef, turkey, or some other exotic meat.

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
    RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 06/27/03 11:07 AM (permalink)
    I have a friend who makes venison jerky when he is lucky enough to harvest a deer, good eating!

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
      RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 06/27/03 12:25 PM (permalink)
      Bushie,
      One of the reasons I can't wait to get down to Texas is the jerkey. It blows me away to go in a convenience store & find a virtual jerkey bar set up! Always did love jerkey but did not I have a valid reason to keep it on hand. Contrary to popular opinion it is very low in fat, too much fat on it & it would go rancid it can have high sodium, however, so you may have to watch that. However, it is a great source of quick protein to help keep my sugars in line Up here good jerkey is hard to find, but I keep looking

jerseygirl127

• Total Posts: 454
        RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 11/14/03 5:29 PM (permalink)
        I AGREE TOTALLY!! venison jerky is the best!!! we make our own and it's awesome!!!!!!!

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 11/14/03 5:53 PM (permalink)
          A few weeks ago at the Austin Farmer's Market downtown, I found and bought some Salmon Jerky. I'd never had it before, and it was really good.

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
            RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 11/14/03 8:26 PM (permalink)
            I was glad to come across your post about Whittington's, Bushie. When I was driving along 281 from Spring Branch to Llano a few months ago (seems like forever since I've been there), I kept seeing the signs and thought I'd just have to stop and try some, but was headed to Cooper's so I kept putting it off. Then, there were no more signs advertising it.

What's special about it?

It is available on line, btw: http://www.whittingtonsjerky.com/.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
              RE: Beef Jerky Fri, 11/14/03 8:35 PM (permalink)
              The Whittingtons is cut in smaller chunks not so thin that it becomes unchewable leather. The seasonings are not overpowering either. I've had some jerky that is so salty you can bareley eat it. Since it retains some moisture it is shipped in vacumn sealed packages. I have Bushie to thank for my intro to Whittingtons & I am eternally grateful.

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Sun, 11/16/03 10:24 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by ocdreamr

The Whittingtons is cut in smaller chunks not so thin that it becomes unchewable leather. The seasonings are not overpowering either. I've had some jerky that is so salty you can bareley eat it. Since it retains some moisture it is shipped in vacumn sealed packages. I have Bushie to thank for my intro to Whittingtons & I am eternally grateful.

You are more than welcome, OC!

hermitt, you can order the packs online, and they are really good. Next time you're through Johnson City, though, you MUST stop. You can buy the uncut, fresh jerky strips right at the "factory". Honestly, there's not a great deal of taste between the fresh and the vac-pacs, but the experience is worth the stop.

fogwater

• Total Posts: 40
                  RE: Beef Jerky Sun, 01/18/04 1:42 PM (permalink)
                  Beef jerky is a wonderful thing to gnaw on when you're hiking, going on a road trip, or just need a little meaty snack. There's a very good butcher & smoker out of Dartmouth NS (name I can't recall) who makes a yummy version. Chris Brothers ain't bad either. Salmon jerky is pretty great, too, as is venison. I've been meaning to make beef jerky for a while. The amount of meat you have to start out with is a bit intimidating though.

When I lived out west, there were some pretty great versions of salmon candy, which is smoked salmon jerky made sweet.

amelia

• Total Posts: 17
                    RE: Beef Jerky Wed, 01/21/04 10:08 PM (permalink)
                    SLIM JIM THINGS!!
                    haha i really dont know a specific kind but what about the one
                    with a indian on the bag?

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 9:22 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by amelia

...but what about the one

I've seen that in convenience stores, but I don't remember ever trying that brand. It looks like many of the others that appear to be "ironed mystery meat". Personally, I like the thicker, more "natural" varieties. However, I've eaten PLENTY of the other kind over the years.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 9:57 AM (permalink)
                        Bushie...Remind me that I wanted to pick up about 1500 miles worth of this Jerky!! Is it less expensive at the factory than in the stores? Do they sell "seconds?"

Hmmmm, running out of space to haul snacks on the roadtrip... guess that slab of LuteFisk we're taking out to Elise will sit beside the road once we get to Texas.. I can pick it up next trip thru. No Problem, Even the Coyotes won't touch it.

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 10:41 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

guess that slab of LuteFisk we're taking out to Elise will sit beside the road once we get to Texas.. I can pick it up next trip thru. No Problem, Even the Coyotes won't touch it.

Yeah, I hear it keeps well, and should "summer" nicely in some ditch.

As for the jerky (Whittington's), if you go the way I think you'll be going, you'll drive RIGHT BY the factory. The advantage of buying there is that you can pick up some FRESH, uncut jerky. McDuff and y'all will have a GRAND ole time gnawing on that.

They also sell a bunch of other cool Texas foods like salsas, jellies, etc.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                            RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 10:58 AM (permalink)
                            Wow. Just learned more about beef jerky in two minutes than I ever knew.

This is a fascinating place! And a lot of fun.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                              RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 11:06 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

SLIM JIM THINGS!!

I believe that's "Pemmican" brand. Wouldn't bett my life on though. My husband makes a pretty tasty jerky, very addicting.

Rusty246

RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

SLIM JIM THINGS!!

I believe that's "Pemmican" brand. Wouldn't bett my life on though. My husband makes a pretty tasty jerky, very addicting.

I thought about deleting this reply. PROOFREAD BRENDA!

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Thu, 01/22/04 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:

Looks like you are correct, Rusty. I searched for that name, and:

http://www.pemmican.com/products/index.html

Sounds like it may be better than I had thought. I think I'll try some just so I'll know for sure.

Rusty246

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 4:17 PM (permalink)
                                    I'd like to put my vote in for Robertson's Brand. It's a thinner, dryer, jerky with just the right amount of black pepper. I've often had my "Mom & Pop" grocer where I live order me a container when they re-order for themselves. Once went through a whole container in a weekend once word was out that I had it. I don't know which of more showed up, kid's or adults. Now I keep it a little more "hush hush". The location is in Seminole, OK. They also sell hams and other goodies.
                                    http://www.robertsons-hams.com/menu.html

Rusty246

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

I'd like to put my vote in for Robertson's Brand. It's a thinner, dryer, jerky with just the right amount of black pepper. I've often had my "Mom & Pop" grocer where I live order me a container when they re-order for themselves. Once went through a whole container in a weekend once word was out that I had it. I don't know which of more showed up, kid's or adults. Now I keep it a little more "hush hush". The location is in Seminole, OK. They also sell hams and other goodies.
                                      http://www.robertsons-hams.com/menu.html

Well boogers, that doesn't work. Just "google it" at Robertsons Hams if you're interested

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                        Robertson's is good! Although very thin, it has a nice, natural flavor. I stop at the Robertson's north of Austin in Salado, TX, quite often. I really like their ham, too.

Sundancer7

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                          Bushie, what was the place you took me to that was close to Johnson City. I thought that was the best I had ever had. Great treat that I left in your SUV. I was not hungry when I left it there but this afternoon I am

That was sausage and jerky heaven.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Bushie

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                            That was Whittington's, Sundance. My favorite.

Sundancer7

RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 7:37 PM (permalink)
                                              Bushie, thanks for taking the time to tour me in that part of Texas. Whittingtons is the best I have ever experienced and if it were not for you, I would still be thinking that the jerky I found at the local convenience store was the best.

The afternoon you shared with me with the BBQ, tour at Johnson city and the Jerky is the best I have had in a long while.

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                RE: Beef Jerky Mon, 01/26/04 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                                One of my customers brought me some home-made venison jerky a few days ago. Good stuff! I think it was marinated in some sort of soy concoction with a liberal dose of black pepper. Makes me want to go shoot a deer and give it to him.

waltpiii

RE: Beef Jerky Tue, 09/21/04 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  For those Jerks on the East Coast, the Country Butcher in Ellingtion, CT makes his own Jerky. The store is on State Route 83 maybe 10 minutes off I-84. The shop is closed Sunday and Monday and open until 6 the other days. The shop often runs out so call before travelling far.

Walt

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
                                                    RE: Beef Jerky Tue, 09/21/04 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                                    Would you consider a pickled sausage product like a Tijuana Mama jerky even though it isn't dried?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                      RE: Beef Jerky Tue, 09/21/04 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                                      ....here's our Rogue Valley favorite:
                                                      http://www.garywest.com/products.asp?dept=1002
                                                      spicy and succulent. Not like shoe leather....

justmejanie

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: Temecula, CA
                                                        RE: Beef Jerky Wed, 09/22/04 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hi all. Noticed the hits to my site, so I checked Roadfood out. Check out our locations and reviews, you can probably find us on many of your trips. Ours is not like shoe leather either. We make it fresh weekly and there's no preservatives. If you like the thicker kind, we also have nuggets.
                                                        If it's not appropriate for me to post here, please delete this. Thanks, Janie
                                                        (and I'm glad you found us Jack.) www.houseofjerky.net

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                          • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                                          RE: Beef Jerky Sun, 10/10/04 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                                          I have a cousin in Tecumseh, MI that makes an outstanding beef jerky. Also makes turkey jerky as well. His is so good he quit his job he'd had for 20 years and opened his own convenience store/deli. He has not yet gone commercial with a packaged name, etc so you have to stop at his store and buy it there.

carl reitz

bizbuilder

• Total Posts: 2
                                                            • Joined: 11/11/2004
                                                            • Location: Hermitage, TN
                                                            RE: Beef Jerky Tue, 11/23/04 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                            Attention Beef Jerky fans! Know anybody that likes really good beef jerky? Check the site out at www.bizbuilder.jerkydirect.com and if you got 12 bucks, you're in business. They have 10 different varieties including Buffalo Jerky, Turkey nuggets, and Peppered Steak Sticks. You buy these on-line - they give you a website, and make money when you refer your friends.

Best Jerky I've ever tasted, no MSG or preservatives and shipped fresh.[|)]

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com