Beef Stew

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Beef Stew 2006/02/13 19:55:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Z66 Butch

I use cut up chuck cubed and browned. The usual veggies but I do take a couple of short-cuts. I add beef soup stock the enhance the flavor. When almost done I add about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with some of the brown gravy liquid stuff.........I am to lazy to go look for the name right now, but it is that you add to turn your gravy dark brown........Just mix them together and stir into the stew and simmer a few more minutes!

Butch

Kitchen Bouquet? That is what I use on occasion. http://products.peapod.com/3618.html
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Beef Stew 2006/02/13 21:28:34 (permalink)
quote:

Kitchen Bouquet? That is what I use on occasion. http://products.peapod.com/3618.html

That is the stuff, THANKS!

Butch
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Beef Stew 2006/02/21 23:25:14 (permalink)
Thank You
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
RE: Beef Stew 2008/01/13 02:50:13 (permalink)
Tis the time of the year for Beef Stew. Here's my recipe for the cause:
DIAMOND JIM’S CROCKPOT BEEF STEW

INGREDIENTS

3#’s Trimmed and Cubed Beef Chuck Roast
½ C All-purpose flour
3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 coarsely chopped sweet onion
½ # miniature carrots
2 C sliced celery
4 medium sized russet potatoes, halved, quartered and cut into large bite sized pieces
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp Celery seeds
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tsp white sugar
1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp ground cloves
Juice of one fresh lemon
2-4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, to your taste
1 can Beef broth
1 can Vegetable broth
1 ½ c red wine (Merlot, Burgundy, your choice)

DIRECTIONS

Blend flour, salt, pepper, paprika, in a Ziploc Bag. Add beef, shake to coat thoroughly. Add oil to a deep skillet, heat and add beef. Brown beef thoroughly. While meat is browning, add broths, wine, onion, garlic, bay leaves, celery seeds, sugar, cloves, lemon juice, and worchestershire sauce, to a crockpot set on high. When meat is browned, add to crockpot, cover, and let cook for 4-5 hours until meat is tender. Chop celery, potatoes and add carrots to the pot. Cook for an additional hour or until the veggies are tender to your liking but not mushy. If the gravy needs to be thickened, use Pillsbury Wondra or a similar product to thicken to your taste. Cooking time may vary depending on your crockpot. Cook to your liking for tenderness.
ENJOY!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Beef Stew 2008/01/13 08:50:06 (permalink)
I'm in the process of doing a freezer clean out and thru together a stew last week. I had some hanger steaks but not enough but I also had a package of goat? why I don't know.
Anyway I was very pleased with the outcome the hanger steak was a great substitute to chuck, outstanding flavor. The goat pieces on the bone added a really nice addition of flavor also.
I usually put turnips in my stews, none on hand so I used parsnips. The parsnips will become a must for all future stews.
Also found a pakage of frozen bread dough that I made who knows when. That rose and baked off with no problems.
Making progress on the clean out, doing duck tonight. Chow Jim
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1