The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Beef Stroganoff Recipe????

Leania_1stone

• Total Posts: 208
Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 2:58 PM (permalink)
I'm looking for a good stroganoff recipe that uses the egg noodles as the base, something that preferably isn't like 3+ hours cooking time being pregnant I love good recipes I can whip up quick so I won't be on my feet so long.

Also any recipes using egg noodles? Big craving of mine right now and I love them with butter and a sprinkle of salt but what else can I do to liven them up a bit?

Thanks!!!
Crystal

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
    RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:08 PM (permalink)
    Here is a VERY quick and easy hamburger stroganoff. No slow cooking required.

Brown hamburger with chopped onion and garlic. drain off fat
    Add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and a can of cream of mushroom soup. thin with beef boullion to desired consistancy. serve over egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:16 PM (permalink)
      Here is a fairly quick one. It does not use stock, so you need not cook it for the usual hour plus

1 1/2 lbs. lean beef, such as trimmed top round steak or sirloin
      3 T. butter, divided use
      1/2- 3/4 lbs. sliced fresh mushrooms
      1-2 C. sour cream
      1 T. all-purpose flour
      Salt to taste

Garnish: ground paprika, sprigs of fresh Italian parsley

Cut the beef across the grain. It's very important to cut across the grain of the meat. If you cut with the grain your meat might be stringy. First stretch the meat and you can see which way the grain runs - then cut across the grain. Cut beef into thin strips, 1-2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.

In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of beef drippings or butter on medium-high heat. Add beef and reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Allow to cook slowly, tossing occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If pan becomes dry, add a little more butter.

When the mushrooms and meat have cooked (25 minutes in all), remove them from the pan and set them aside with any meat juices. In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.

Add flour and stir 1 minute, scraping up brown bits in pan. Add sour cream and stir until heated. Stir in the meat juices, then pour this mixture into the beef and mushrooms. Cook until heated through on medium heat; do not boil. Season to taste with salt.

Spoon over cooked noodles. Garnish each serving with a little paprika and parsley.

Yield: 4 servings

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
        RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:19 PM (permalink)
        I have a hamburger stroganoff recipe, too:

1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
        finely chopped onion
        salt
        1 can cream of mushroom soup
        1 small container of sour cream
        1 small can of mushrooms
        dollop of ketchup (not really for taste--more for the color it adds)
        splash of wine (if desired)
        egg noodles

Brown ground beef with chopped onion (as much as you like, but I would think a 1/2 cup is minimum). Drain off the fat. Add the salt, mushroom soup, sour cream, mushrooms, ketchup, and wine. Simmer over medium heat until bubbling. Serve over egg noodles.

This is even better as leftovers the next day.

I would say that this recipe probably takes about a 1/2 hour beginning to end.

Enjoy Leania!!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
          RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:30 PM (permalink)
          I like to make what my grandmother used to call Stewed Noodles. Substitute a can of condensed chicken broth for part of the water. Add a halved and thinly slivered onion and some parsley flakes, bring to a boil, add the noodles and cook as usual. Drain and serve with browned butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes she added some thinly sliced carrots and celery along with the onion and cooked them on medium heat for about 10 minutes before bringing to a boil and adding the noodles.

Leania_1stone

• Total Posts: 208
            RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:37 PM (permalink)
            Grampy or anyone who reads it...uhmm I must admit I don't really know what is meant by grain of the meat what exactly am I looking for when I'm cutting it....I'm sort of a newer cook lol you know :)

Grampy

RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:46 PM (permalink)
              Basically, if you have a steak, say a strip or flank because they are among the most obvious, cut across the steak. Think of a piece of wood. It's just the same. The grain, being fibers in essence, goes the length of the steak. Hope this helps.

Here is a site with photos of a butcher at work: http://www.beefinfo.org/fs_cutting.cfm

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
                RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
                All the recipes are good that have been offered, but I use chicken instead of beef as we don't eat much beef at all anymore. Cut the chicken breast (boneless, skinless) in thin strips and cook same as beef strips. Lower fat and better for us. I have also made it with only mushrooms instead of any meat and that is even more healthful. Yogurt can be used in place of sour cream. I do most of my cooking by the seat of my pants, so to speak....by taste, looks, aroma, etc. Good luck, just trust your instincts, taste buds, and you will be okay.

Donna

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                  RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 5:42 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by meowzart

I have a hamburger stroganoff recipe, too:

1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
                  finely chopped onion
                  salt
                  1 small container of sour cream
                  1 small can of mushrooms
                  dollop of ketchup (not really for taste--more for the color it adds)
                  splash of wine (if desired)
                  egg noodles

Brown ground beef with chopped onion (as much as you like, but I would think a 1/2 cup is minimum). Drain off the fat. Add the salt, mushroom soup, sour cream, mushrooms, ketchup, and wine. Simmer over medium heat until bubbling. Serve over egg noodles.

This is even better as leftovers the next day.

I would say that this recipe probably takes about a 1/2 hour beginning to end.

Enjoy Leania!!

Meowzart,

Very similar to my recipe, old family favorite. I like to brown the beef and then add the onions. I don't want to lose the onion taste.

I use about 8 oz of fresh mushrooms, can't have too many.

Secret ingredient...........blue cheese. I like more than my wife but I have been slowly increasing it over the years. Don't tell. I add the sour cream after it has simmered, bring it back up to temp and then add the blue cheese, maybe 1/4 cup or to taste. If you someone that doesn't like blue cheese just sprinkle it over your serving.

Cakes

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 7:47 PM (permalink)
                    MMMMMMmmmmm..... Grampy that soundes like the good stuff!

Grampy

RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 04/28/04 8:03 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by UncleVic

MMMMMMmmmmm..... Grampy that soundes like the good stuff!

Much obliged! And if you are feeling a bit flush, try it with tenderloin. Heat oil hotter, and do not cook as long.

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
                        RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Thu, 04/29/04 7:42 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Leania_1stone

I'm looking for a good stroganoff recipe that uses the egg noodles as the base, something that preferably isn't like 3+ hours cooking time being pregnant I love good recipes I can whip up quick so I won't be on my feet so long.

Thanks!!!
                        Crystal

Whatever recipe you select, use flank steak. It will make all the difference in the world in the way the dish tastes.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3305
                          RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Fri, 04/30/04 10:43 AM (permalink)
                          A little late, but mine's a little different, so I'll stick it in here anyway.

1 lb. ground beef
                          3 slices bacon
                          1/2 cup chopped onion
                          salt to taste
                          1/4 teaspoon paprika
                          dash pepper
                          1 cup sour cream
                          Hot buttered egg noodles

Cut up bacon and brown with the ground beef.
                          Add onion, cook until tender but not browned.
                          Drain off excess fat.
                          Add seasonings to meat mixture.
                          Stir in the soup and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
                          Stir in the sour cream, then simmer until heated through (do not boil).
                          Serve over hot buttered noodles, or mix all together and serve.

The bacon is what makes all the difference in the world.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Sun, 05/16/04 3:43 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by felix4067

A little late, but mine's a little different, so I'll stick it in here anyway.

1 lb. ground beef
                            3 slices bacon
                            1/2 cup chopped onion
                            salt to taste
                            1/4 teaspoon paprika
                            dash pepper
                            1 cup sour cream
                            Hot buttered egg noodles

Cut up bacon and brown with the ground beef.
                            Add onion, cook until tender but not browned.
                            Drain off excess fat.
                            Add seasonings to meat mixture.
                            Stir in the soup and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
                            Stir in the sour cream, then simmer until heated through (do not boil).
                            Serve over hot buttered noodles, or mix all together and serve.

The bacon is what makes all the difference in the world.

Ok, Sorry for the delayed response here, but was out of the state for a week... Ok, Grampy and You and really making me hungry here!

Martha-Girl

• Total Posts: 48
                              RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Sun, 05/16/04 7:39 PM (permalink)
                              My husband only had hamburger stroganoff before he met me, and it is probably one of the few things he'll admit (admit is the key word here) I make better than his mom:

1 1/2 - 2 lbs steak (original recipe calls for round, but I use sirloin and once, in a fit of excess, tenderloin)sliced in strips
                              1/2 c. butter or margarine
                              1 meduim onion, sliced & separated into rings
                              1 jar sliced mushrooms (smaller jar if you're not into fungus; more if you love them)
                              1 can CONDENSED beef broth (NOT consomme)
                              1 small carton sour cream (full fat works best, low fat OK)
                              2 tbs flour

Brown beef quickly in 1/2 the butter over medium high heat-just to brown & not to cook through-set aside. Put remaining butter in pan
                              with the onion and saute over meduim heat, scraping up any bits of beef as you go. When onions are limp, dump in the drained mushrooms and let the onions & mushrooms just start to brown. Pour in the beef broth and bring to a boil over medium heat and let cook about 2-3 minutes while you stir the flour into the sour cream in a medium size bowl. Reduce heat to low, and whisk half of the hot broth into the sour cream, about 2 tablespoons at a time. This step is important to keep the cream from curdling. When you have about 1/2 the broth mixed in, dump the sour cream mixture back in the pan and cook over low heat until it begins to thicken. Stir beef back in and heat through, serve over HOT EGG NOODLES.

While that may sound complicated, I slice my meat and onions and get the water going for the noodles. From that point to the table is usually less than 30 minutes.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Mon, 05/17/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                My vote is deficiently for using thin cut sirloin steak. My advice would be to use a pressure cooker, they make them now that you plug in like a crock pot. Pressure cook the meat in some broth for 30 minutes, add the the rest of the ingredients from Martha's recipe above and pressure cook another 3-4 minutes. The last time I made this the meat was just falling to pieces it was so tender. I also like to pressure cook small roasts, like an eye of round. You can have a fall apart roast in just over and hour.

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
                                  RE: Beef Stroganoff Recipe???? Wed, 05/19/04 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                  Argent remembers being at a camping event with a large group of people. The suggestion was made that they cook beef stroganoff for dinner. However, the grumpy fussy fools in the camp all grumbled that it should be made with hamburger instead of steak, because it was easier to divide evenly. Like 30-year-olds would be pointing at each other's bowls saying, "He got more than me!!!" Sheesh.

Hubby advocates using London Broil.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com