Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
LilBit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/11/26 11:58:22 (permalink)

Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot?

I'm new here... but am intrigued and amazed by your collective knowledge!

I'm hoping someone can help... I purchased a filet mignon roast and would like to use the crock pot for convenience sake. Anyone have any recipies? Thanks! Nancy

31 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:04:35 (permalink)
    You just paid for the MOST expensive cut of beef and you want to throw it into the crock pot??? Roast it in the oven on high heat or fire up the grill, cut it into individual steaks and pan-sear them.....but PUHLEESE, don't put that primo cut of meat into a crock pot!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:09:55 (permalink)
    This has got to be the classic Troll Post.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:16:00 (permalink)
    I don't know. I love the idea of putting a steer tender in a crockpot. It reminds me of my mother's cooking. If they'd had crockpots back when she was cooking them I'm sure that's how she'd have ruined them, as it would have been easier than ruining them in the oven as she always did. I have to admit, though, that I've never before heard of a tenderloin referred to as a filet mignon roast.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:30:50 (permalink)
    Just wrap it in thick bacon and then it can be a "filet mignon roast", maybe? Throw a few packs of Wick Fowler's chili mix in the crock, cut it all up at some point, and you can have "filet mignon roast chili". Hmmm, I like the name!
    Joe
    LilBit
    Junior Burger
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:41:20 (permalink)
    Ok - ok,i get the point. Thanks for the "warm welcome" into forum world. I was just reading the label (Trader Joe's Label) on the package of meat i bought. Who would of thunk their negligent labeling practices would have me made a fool?? Maybe i should sue?

Now that you have all wiped the tears brought on by laughter at my expense, and soothed the temples due to the convulsive eye rolling.... Do any of you have a recipe for the OVEN? Simple....obviously.

I make filet mignon STEAKS at least once a week on the grill or..... GASP - GEORGE FOREMAN and they turn out just wonderful. Same meat, just not cut up into steaks, no? Hmmmmm, not a far stretch to becoming a Filet Mignon Roast.

LilBit
    Junior Burger
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 12:46:24 (permalink)
    Troll Post - i'm guessing that's not good? Darn. My goal was to make a good impression.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 13:22:11 (permalink)
    LilBit, Don't listen to them, your headed in the right direction. Put the filet mignon in the crock pot, marinade it with olive oil vinegar and herbs de provance some wine also. Now it must be refrigerated for some time turning on ocasion. Now remove crock pot from fridge, Warning, do not plug in! Remove from said vessel and slice paper thin and serve with choice of vegtables and a salad and a very good wine. Not sure about the recpie. And there is a name to this dish that I'm sure leechef would know. Chow Jim
    LilBit
    Junior Burger
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 13:48:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim.

The package reads "Australian Beef Filet Mignon Roast" - go to Trader Joes and check it out.

I have decided to put 8 very small slits into the filet mignon roast and stuff with quartered garlic cloves and some fresh colorful pepercorns then take extra vigin olive oil, 1 tb lemon juice, a pinch of oregeno, dill, rosemary, thyme and basil and marinade in this mixture.

I will then roast at 375 for about 25-30 minutes and let stand. Meanwhile, combining the drippings from the roast with 1/4 c butter, 2 tb dijon mustard, 1 clove chopped garlic and simmer until butter is melted. I will then mix in 1 1/2 c dry red wine and reduce by half. I will then spoon this sauce over my lovely oven-cooked roast. Served with petite yukon golden potatos and fresh broccoli florettes with hollandaise sauce of course.

Thanks again, Nancy
    JohnRF
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 14:01:25 (permalink)
    Sounds like BillSoon got tired of being a restaurant manager and now is a poor 'lil first time in the kitchen girl.

Remember that poor 'lil Georgia girl who needed help ordering off an Italian menu and had everyone going? Deja vu all over again.
    LilBit
    Junior Burger
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 14:37:41 (permalink)
    Not sure who BillSoon is... but i actually got the recipe from another 'lil list. Very helpful as a matter of fact. And some had actually witnessed the same label - Filet Mignon Roast.

I must say the marinade is seeming very nice, good aroma. Not sure if the finished product will be as wonderful as the recipe makes it seem. I will be sure to let you know.

I actually joined this list because i had been reading a thread on crock pot cooking. I love the convenience of crockery (the Bears are on- who wants to stay in the kitchen)and had no idea the flurry of insults (maybe a bit strong - or not) that asking a simple question would bring upon me.

So JohnRF- if you think my post was to get everyone going you are mistaken. I am a busy single mom (of a 17 year old) who cooks out of neccesity. But i love it and am always looking for new things to cook other than pork chops, meat loaf, steaks, pan seared fish and baked chicken. I shoot competitive pool three times a week, so the crock pot is extremely convenient since i am gone with my commute and work 11 hours a day.

I am sorry if i troubled anyone. I thought the premise of these lists were to ask questions that you had about cooking and food and you would actually get kind, helpful answers. Everyone seemed supportive and helpful. Maybe i didn't read far enough.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 15:44:30 (permalink)
    LilBit, if you have time, read the "fantasy chili" thread. You gave me the idea for the chili mentioned above. It will be on my chili menue. Who would not want to try a bowl of "filet mignon roast chili"! Hmm, maybe at $12 a bowl some might not. Anyway, welcome to roadfood!

Oh, I have played a few games of pool in my day. If they played pool, and came to Dallas, I knew em.
    Joe
    LilBit
    Junior Burger
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 16:05:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Joe! I've shot a few times in Ft. Worth and Houston, never made it to Dallas. Vegas quite a bit for nationals (singles in April 07).

I'll check out the chili recipe. If a dish is good with a mediocre cut of meat, wouldn't it be incredible with a great cut of meat? Maybe i miss the concept.

I was afraid i would have to have someone else register and ask another question or else i'd be drawn and quatered.... I read about a Lodge Grill, then i checked the website. It says it covers two burners. Gas, i'm presuming - does it smoke a lot, and does it function similiar to an outdoor grill w/out the direct flame.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 16:20:56 (permalink)
    LilBit, there is a good chili recipe thread here. The fantasy thread is just for fun. The crock pot recipe threads are real good.

About pool, Ft. worth, an old timer named Utley J. Pucket, what a charcter.
    Houstin, Earl, tha pearl, Strickland, great player. I saw him run 11 racks of nine ball at C.J.s place in Dallas.
    Joe
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 20:20:37 (permalink)
    LilBit, an inexpensive chuck roast dusted with dry onion soup mix in a crockpot would taste much better than if you used the tenderloin. With the money you saved, you could probably dine out at a family-type restaurant. You don't have to add any water nor any veggies but I usually add sliced onions, quartered carrots, some cubed potatoes, lots of cracked black pepper, any root vegetable that I might have, and a modicum of water to have the fixings for a gravy made later. If doing that, you'll want to place the meat on top and see that the potatoes are covered or close to it with the water. A few slices of fresh garlic works nicely. For some reason crockpots to me lose lots of the flavor from seasonings so I always go heavy with them. Your recipe for the filet mignon roast sounds quick and a much better choice for that type of meat.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 21:46:05 (permalink)
    I'll just bet with the au jus and some real good crunchy bread, you'll have the tastiest french dips on the block.
    Nothing wrong with that!

I'd might want to throw in some horseradish (just a dab) a sweet onion, garlic and some course black pepper. That's just me.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/26 23:10:31 (permalink)
    Wow - I think I'd slow down a bit and opt for some ground beef!
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 16:46:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LilBit

Ok - ok,i get the point. Thanks for the "warm welcome" into forum world. I was just reading the label (Trader Joe's Label) on the package of meat i bought. Who would of thunk their negligent labeling practices would have me made a fool?? Maybe i should sue?

Now that you have all wiped the tears brought on by laughter at my expense, and soothed the temples due to the convulsive eye rolling.... Do any of you have a recipe for the OVEN? Simple....obviously.

I make filet mignon STEAKS at least once a week on the grill or..... GASP - GEORGE FOREMAN and they turn out just wonderful. Same meat, just not cut up into steaks, no? Hmmmmm, not a far stretch to becoming a Filet Mignon Roast.

Lil-Bit, Welcome to the board. You will now find out what I found out when I came here. I thought it would be an interesting place to discuss food. But if you offer an opinion that differs from the snobs who over-power this board, you'll be hooted at, made fun of, called a bumpkin or other lovely name. To be sure,there are a few people here who will offer a kind word or some help, but for the most part if you don't fit tightly into their little fantasy world, you'll just be a peasent cluttering up "their" board. These are the same type of people who asked if the lifeboats were being seated by "class" when the Titanic was sinking.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 16:53:45 (permalink)
    No,no,no,no-DO NOT put a tenderloin in a crockpot...It is not snobby=it is a WASTE of beef...only my opinion" />
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 16:55:24 (permalink)
    Mack184-How dare you take my seat!!!!!!!!!???????????
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 17:11:18 (permalink)
    quote:

I have decided to put 8 very small slits into the filet mignon roast and stuff with quartered garlic cloves and some fresh colorful pepercorns then take extra vigin olive oil, 1 tb lemon juice, a pinch of oregeno, dill, rosemary, thyme and basil and marinade in this mixture.

I will then roast at 375 for about 25-30 minutes and let stand. Meanwhile, combining the drippings from the roast with 1/4 c butter, 2 tb dijon mustard, 1 clove chopped garlic and simmer until butter is melted. I will then mix in 1 1/2 c dry red wine and reduce by half. I will then spoon this sauce over my lovely oven-cooked roast. Served with petite yukon golden potatos and fresh broccoli florettes with hollandaise sauce of course.

Ok I am hooked, when is dinner served there??

Welcome to RF!!

IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 18:58:14 (permalink)
    Welcome to roadfood LilBit.. I too wouldn't put the roast in a crockpot.. but thats just me..
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2006/11/27 19:06:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

Welcome to roadfood LilBit.. I too wouldn't put the roast in a crockpot.. but thats just me..

Hello, IansMom. I haven't seen your name on here for quite a while. I hope it's just been me not noticing things.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/06 05:21:02 (permalink)
    Okay, I know it's kind of an old post, but please see what I just wrote about cooking a filet mignon in a casserole dish. It's "matilda"'s question about the subject "tenderloin...please help!". I promise you all, it's a genius recipe. You won't be sorry, unless you have some need for charred, blackened marks on your beef. I don't.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.com
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/06 08:58:39 (permalink)
    I actually have some experience with this. Back when I spent a year in the Antarctic, we had thousands of pounds of perpetually frozen (outside--by mother nature) beef tenderloin which our government had purchased from the Australians (a diplomatic thing--don't ask). It was just about the only form of beef available and the supply was nearly inexhaustible so we used it creatively. I made all sorts of ragouts and stews with it and even ground some up for spaghetti sauce. It really serves wonderfully for those things as long as it's free and plentiful.
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/07 11:14:36 (permalink)

Lil-Bit, Welcome to the board. You will now find out what I found out when I came here. I thought it would be an interesting place to discuss food. But if you offer an opinion that differs from the snobs who over-power this board, you'll be hooted at, made fun of, called a bumpkin or other lovely name. To be sure,there are a few people here who will offer a kind word or some help, but for the most part if you don't fit tightly into their little fantasy world, you'll just be a peasent cluttering up "their" board. These are the same type of people who asked if the lifeboats were being seated by "class" when the Titanic was sinking.

Welcome aboard new posters. What you say above is true but I also love this site. There are great posters here who know a lot about food, post great pictures (I love to look at pictures of food), and offer some great advise.

We just have to over look the snobs quoting "I never eat anything out of a can", I haven't eaten fast food in years" (come on give me a break), or "I haven't had a Domino's/Papa John's pizza in over 20 years".

I have been posting for over two years and check this site out every day. I'ts a lot of fun and I hope some day to meet some of the posters. So, keep posting and ignore the snobs.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/07 12:16:15 (permalink)
    I have a friend who swears my slow cooked serloin, jalapeno, garlic, and onion roast, served over a baked potato, is the best thing he has ever eaten, anywhere. I do a brisket the same way, and pork roast. Hmm, I might just try a tenderloin?
    Joe
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/07 13:28:53 (permalink)
    I was under the impression that crock pots worked similar to real BBQ; i.e. low and slow. This broke down the collagen and connective tissue that makes cheap meats "tough and chewy".
    There's no need with a tenderloin and you get much more flavor from a chuck roast so I fail to see why spending $$$$ would be worth it.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/07 13:43:15 (permalink)
    Good point Milf! But... depending on a persons tastes, it might be as good a way to cook a tenderloin roast as any? That's not to say I might not like a slow cooked brisket or chuck better. Hey, I havent tried it yet so???

Matilda and Salin sure like a slow cooked methiod. Maybe ther's more than one way to skin a ... tenderloin?
    Joe
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Beef Tenderloin Roast in Crock Pot? 2008/01/07 14:34:58 (permalink)
    quote:

I'm new here... but am intrigued and amazed by your collective knowledge!

I'm hoping someone can help... I purchased a filet mignon roast and would like to use the crock pot for convenience sake. Anyone have any recipies? Thanks! Nancy

Simple as you can get recipe. Rub roast with ex virg olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and crushed black pepper. Sear in a 450° preheated oven 15min., turn down heat to 350°, stick in a meat thermometer and cook till 140° rare - 150° med rare. Take out roast 10° before goal temp is reached to set juices. It will continue cooking till it starts to cool. Give it 10 min then serve. Depending on the size of the roast you may have to let it set longer.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1