Beef on the rotisserie

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2006/09/08 21:47:46 (permalink)

Beef on the rotisserie

I would like to cook a piece of beef on my rotisserie on my grill. Need advice on what cut of beef and how long to cook it. Thanks.

20 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/09/09 08:02:53 (permalink)
    I've used a cut called a knuckel with pretty good results. As far a how long to cook it, too many variables to consider. I test mine by sight and touch or get an instant read thermometer 120 deg. and let sit, don't pull off skewer untill ready to serve. Chow Jim
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8520
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/09/09 09:14:59 (permalink)
    I have had marvelous luck with tenderloin on the rotisserie.I, of course wait til it goes on sale(!)Then I marinate it in olive oil, roasted garlic, soy sauce,a bit of red pepper flakes and sliced onion.(usually over night)I do use a meat thermometer and cook til 140 degrees, as the meat still cooks a bit when removed from the grill.The reason this is such a crowd pleaser is that the ends are well done,and as you go to the center of the meat, you get medium, then medium rare meat.Appeals to all.I use a 4lb roast.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/09/18 16:06:31 (permalink)
    Standing rib roast or boneless rolled rib roast is terrific if your grill is large enough to hold them. The secret is to make sure they're tied up real well with cooking twine because they shrink and tend to fall apart as they cook. You can then use the twine for tasty dental floss!
    I rub mine with crushed or minced garlic and course ground black pepper before putting it on the spit. I make wood chip smoke packets and apply smoke to the meat as well. The best investment you can make is a digital meat thermometer to check for doneness. generally I cook them for 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees but I use the Meat thermometer to take the guess work out of it. The outside gets a nice smoky crust on it and the inside is moist and juicey! DON'T OVERCOOK IT. It will continue to cook after you take it off the grill. Let it rest 15 minutes before carving to save the juices.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/09/18 16:14:24 (permalink)
    I always choose eye of round as the cut is usually of even proportion. I've always eyeballed the cooking. When the outside is just beginning to crisp, I remove it and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Sorry I don't have more explicit instructions as I've done different sizes/weights and always just eyeball them! Don't forget to put a drip pan(just situate coals around the pan) under your roast to make incredible gravy and it also helps in avoiding flare -ups. I don't recall ever doing one for more than 45 minutes with a moderate heat.
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/09/19 22:42:58 (permalink)
    Rub a 4-pound sirloin roast all over with your favourite rub. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours.

Bring the roast to room temperature before loading onto the rotisserie. Roast for 18 minutes per pound for medium rare, longer for medium ...

Cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/29 22:30:02 (permalink)
    I cooked a 9 1/2 lb Standing Rib Roast on the rotisserie of my grill for Christmas dinner. I used Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub liberally on it for the first time and put a heavy apple wood smoke on it. My posse said it was the best one I';ve done, and I've done quite a few of them. Cast 1 vote for Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub and apple wood for smoking.
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 17:50:25 (permalink)
    Buy a whole New York strip, cut in half, the large end(T-Bone end) trim and cut into steaks and the small end (Porterhouse end)with the "C" shaped membrane trim (leave at least 1/4 inch of fat) and roll and tie into a roast, put on the rotisserie, season and cook to taste.

I use electric or gas, to much smoke overpowers the taste of the beef, IMHO.

The best beef on a rotisserie I ever had.

Good stuff,

Mitch
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 18:30:08 (permalink)
    We use the same cut, size and marinade receipt as annpeeples. 140 it is and as Ann indicated, it comes out perfect for everyone. We had it Christmas Day. The overnight marinade makes it.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2726
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 18:37:52 (permalink)
    I'll add beef tri-tip on the rotisserie as another choice. Just season with salt, pepper and garlic; and add some oak wood for smoke. They also sell a roast cut from the round called the Baron of Beef in the Twin Cities area. This is also terrific on the rotis.

Great responses in this thread. To summarize, any cut of beef from south of the chuck and brisket are great on the rotisserie.

Oh yeah, 130 degrees Fahrenheit maximum on any of these cuts.
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 18:49:13 (permalink)
    Try the Eye of the Round, make sure the butcher leaves about 1/4 inch of fat, it is a tougher cut of beef but a flavor all its own.

Regards,

Mitch
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 18:54:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JRPfeff

I'll add beef tri-tip on the rotisserie as another choice. Just season with salt, pepper and garlic; and add some oak wood for smoke. They also sell a roast cut from the round called the Baron of Beef in the Twin Cities area. This is also terrific on the rotis.

Great responses in this thread. To summarize, any cut of beef from south of the chuck and brisket are great on the rotisserie.

Oh yeah, 130 degrees Fahrenheit maximum on any of these cuts.

I have been wanting to try a tri-tip for a long time, this cut along with skirt and flank steaks were cheaper, but tender cuts of beef for years, now at our neighborhood Publix they are $5.99+ per LB, Next time I go to the butcher I will give the tri-tip a try

Regards,

Mitch
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 20:33:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Reaper

I have been wanting to try a tri-tip for a long time, this cut along with skirt and flank steaks were cheaper, but tender cuts of beef for years, now at our neighborhood Publix they are $5.99+ per LB, Next time I go to the butcher I will give the tri-tip a try

Regards,

Mitch

Mitch,

$5.99/lb - Isn't that disgusting for this trash cut of beef? I bought beef tenderloin for $3.99/# and a whole strip for $2.99/# this year.

I just recently tried tri-tip, having to find a Trader Joes to buy it (at more than $5.99/# ). Tri-tip is different tasting, but really good indirect grilled. Oak is the traditional smoke wood used with this cut.

Jim
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2006/12/31 21:02:31 (permalink)
    Jim

You are in the northern Midwest close to the stockyards in Chicago, I am in Daytona Beach Fla., when someone moves to Fla. any culture that you are used to in your hometown is gone, the Wal-Mart attitude applies "They will get used to it" is in effect, Pizza Hut pizza, expensive tasteless beef, Wonder Bread and imported shrimp is good here.(the good shrimp harvested off of our coast goes to Japan)

Back on point "any cut of beef from south of the chuck and brisket are great on the rotisserie." You are right, years ago my friends father would tie a bottom round roast in bailing wire cook it for a couple hours on the rotisserie over a small pile of charcoal, slice it thin good stuff.

Mitch
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2007/01/01 02:40:05 (permalink)
    Why a rotessire? Why not just do your roasts with an indirect heat source?

MikeS.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2007/01/01 10:54:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Why a rotessire?

Because I can.
    quote:

Why not just do your roasts with an indirect heat source?

MikeS.

Heresy.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2007/01/01 14:51:12 (permalink)
    quote:

Why a rotessire? Why not just do your roasts with an indirect heat source?

MikeS.

IMO when you use a rotessere, the meat tends to cook in its own juices and makes for a moister, tastier piece of meat and it cooks more evenly. Plus it's fun to watch it go round & round much like watching the test patterns back intheearly days of TV!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2007/01/01 15:58:04 (permalink)
    FoodB, sounds fun to me, and I do miss those test patterns!
    Joe
    spg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2010/08/12 22:57:47 (permalink)
    First post on roadfood--Foodbme- doing a 13 pound semiboneless rib roast and need some direction- I want to rotesserie/spit roast it- times? It has the bones on it- rubs? horseradish/salt and garlic?? sounds like Foodbme has done some. Can you help with suggestions? Or anyone??
    Thanks-spg
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2010/08/13 01:59:19 (permalink)
    spg

First post on roadfood--Foodbme- doing a 13 pound semiboneless rib roast and need some direction- I want to rotisserie/spit roast it- times? It has the bones on it- rubs? horseradish/salt and garlic?? sounds like Foodbme has done some. Can you help with suggestions? Or anyone??
    Thanks-spg

I assume it's a Gas Grill??? How many #'s of roast are you doing - 13 ? I also assume your grill has a lid and can be closed to create an oven effect??? I also assume your grill has an external thermometer to measure the heat in your grill????

To prepare the roast since it's semi-boneless, I would chop up some fresh garlic and insert it between the meat & bones then tie the roast with cooking twine to keep the meat from separating from the bones during cooking. Rub the roast with some olive oil and then apply coarse grind salt & pepper.

That's a BIG roast! Do the following BEFORE you turn on the heat! When you insert the spit into the meat, make sure the roast is positioned in such a way so that the weight of the meat is not lopsided. If the meat weight is not evenly distributed, your motor may not be able to turn it. Also make sure it will turn with the lid down without rubbing on the sides and lid. Make sure it fits and your Motor is able to turn it. I had to buy a heavy duty motor to turn anything over 10#'s! The standard motor that came with the grill wouldn't hack it.

I always smoke my roasts by using chip packets. Here's how I make them.
    WOOD CHIP PACKETS FOR SMOKING MEATS
    When smoking something in my 37 year old Gas Grill that's going in my grave with me, I soak my wood chips for about a 1/2 hour then take wide width, heavy duty aluminum foil and tear off as many sheets as I need for each sheet to hold a large handful of chips. Usually make 3-4 packets for 1 smoking. I double over the foil sheet about 1 inch at the bottom, place the chips at one end and roll them up, closing the folded end of the packet and leaving the other end slightly open for the smoke to escape. Place the packets on the bottom grate just above the burner, close the lid and let 'er smoke away. Cleanup is easy. Just remove the packets after they've stopped smoldering and are completely cool and throw away.
    Once the roast is prepped, add the chip packets, put it in the grill and fire it up. I put a disposable pan under the roast to catch drippings and avoid flare-ups. Don't open the lid for about 3 hours. Bring the temp up to 350 degrees and hold it there. I generally cook the roast for about 20 minutes per pound if you can hold it at 350.
    A GOOD MEAT THERMOMETER IS A MUST! Start checking the internal temp at about 3 1/2 hours, assuming it's at least a 13 # roast. 
    For Medium Rare, roast should be removed when internal temperature reaches 135 degrees; for medium 150 degrees.
    After roast stands 10-15 minutes after removing from oven, final temperature should be:
    Medium rare: 145 degrees F --- Medium: 160 degrees F
    If my assumptions are not correct, then Erase, Erase!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/08/13 02:04:58
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Beef on the rotisserie 2010/08/16 15:31:38 (permalink)
    Here is one of my favorites. In Brazil it's called picanha, they call this cut of meat a rump steak. Here in the US we know it as tri-tip. If you have a butcher ask him for a whole tri-tip with the cap of fat still on it, the fat will baste the meat. Here's a video of my first attempt at picanha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1q-piC6ZXk
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1