Beef tenderloin

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
2003/11/15 03:22:35 (permalink)

Beef tenderloin

The wife and I went grocery shopping today at Wal-Mart and I found a tenderloin roast on sale. On sale it was still 7something a pound. We splurged anyways. I cooked this up for dinner tonight, seasoned with a little garlic powder and some Pappy's seasoning. Cooked it until 145 degrees internally in a 325 degree oven.

This was the best roast I've ever had! It was tender, juicy and flavorful. Our 2 yr old granddaughter, not usually much of a carnivore, ate 3 slices.

I guess I'll have to splurge a lil more often

16 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/16 23:03:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

The wife and I went grocery shopping today at Wal-Mart and I found a tenderloin roast on sale. On sale it was still 7something a pound. We splurged anyways. I cooked this up for dinner tonight, seasoned with a little garlic powder and some Pappy's seasoning. Cooked it until 145 degrees internally in a 325 degree oven.

This was the best roast I've ever had! It was tender, juicy and flavorful. Our 2 yr old granddaughter, not usually much of a carnivore, ate 3 slices.

I guess I'll have to splurge a lil more often

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 08:17:26 (permalink)
    I bought some T-bone steaks at Walmart yesterday and it appears that the price is rising faster than gas prices a week before Thanksgiving. This fast rise is attributed to the Atkins diet. The paper gave a rough estimate of 5-50 million people are on this diet or some variation of it. All beef is at a all time high. Good beef cost more than lobster at Walmart.

I wonder if you can mix tofu with beef to get added volume

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 08:22:37 (permalink)
    Only in a wok!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 08:51:50 (permalink)
    Another reason that beef prices are continuing to rise is the rediculous US Trade regulation against the importation of Canadian beef. While Canadian beef is not by any means the majority of what we eat, they do supply a significant amount.

This entire policy (which was just reaffirmed by the Bush administration over the objections of just about everybody in every industry related to beef sales and importation in the US) is based on one cow (one, not two or three or a thousand) that was found to have signs of Mad Cow Disease. In the short term it is causing beef prices to rise in the US and in the long term it is doing huge damage to the Canadian beef industry.

This is one case where protectionist trade policies seem to be having the opposite effect that they are intended. When beef hits a certain point, people will begin looking for other sources of meat to fill out their diet, in much the same way that they bought smaller cars in the mid seventies when gas went through the roof (which I have always taken as a personal affront to me, since I got my drivers license literally during the Arab Oil Embargo. What a rip. .27 cents to $1.25 a gallon in one week).
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 11:06:43 (permalink)
    Beef prices haven't exactly fallen in Canada either. Ground is about the only one that dropped since this cow thing hit us.
    Beef prices tend to go up at this time of the year for the holidays. Especially in the high end cuts like filet, prime rib, T-bones etc. I've followed this trend for years through the restaurants I have worked in. Watch the price go down a bit after the New Years parties. Then back up late spring when BBQ's emerge.
    For cheap cuts try blade roasts or eye of the round. Just cut them extremely thin or braise them slowly with lotsa red wine.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 11:57:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I wonder if you can mix tofu with beef to get added volume

Psst, don't tell anyone, but when the price of ground beef goes up so high as to cause my blood pressure to rise with it, I usually mix a little pre-seasoned Italian breadcrumbs into the mix, be it meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, or even spaghetti sauce that has ground meat in it. No one knows.

Then again, there's always ground turkey....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 12:08:14 (permalink)
    I've read stories about the increase in the price of beef having to do with more and more people being on the Atkins and Atkins-type diets.

I did buy a very nice three-pound porterhouse for $5.39 a pound on Saturday. That was for my grandson. I had a 12-ounce strip.
    ellen4441
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2003/11/17 23:17:36 (permalink)
    I've had huge slabs of filet mignon that my friends had bought at Sams Club, owned by Wal Mart............I thought they were excellent....
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4214
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/03 13:33:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4441

I've had huge slabs of filet mignon that my friends had bought at Sams Club, owned by Wal Mart............I thought they were excellent....

I agree. God Bless Sam and his $8/lb. tenderloin.

Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/03 13:53:53 (permalink)
    Adding information to my post above:

"A filet mignon trades off intensity of flavor for tenderness. Steakhouses love diners who order filets because, despite its reputation for being costly, it is the most profitable cut on the menu. Cut from a muscle that is underexercised, and the least marbled cut among premium steaks, it requires no dry-aging to make it tender; a less-expensive USDA Choice filet is as tender as a USDA Prime filet, so many steakhouses feel there's no need to offer the more expensive grade". Copied from: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/diningguides/2804.html

Sam's filet is USDA Choice.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/03 21:21:11 (permalink)
    just to let you all know all meat and seafood walmart sells come in frozen.
    did you ever wonder why there are not mo signs saying "FRESH" nothing fresh about it.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/04 10:47:55 (permalink)
    Sam's Club has much better steaks than Walmart
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/04 10:58:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by unabashed

just to let you all know all meat and seafood walmart sells come in frozen.
    did you ever wonder why there are not mo signs saying "FRESH" nothing fresh about it.

You may want to look behind the wall at your butcher. You'll probably find mostly frozen cryovac'd meat there, too.

jrp
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/04 16:57:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sk bob

Sam's Club has much better steaks than Walmart

Yes they do. They sell Choice grade for the same price as the supermarkets around here get for Select.
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/04 17:42:40 (permalink)
    Anyone know the grade of beef sold at Costco?

Previously frozen? At my local Costco, I can see the butchers behind/beyond the meat display case, and to my untrained eye, it appears the meat is fresh. I did not see anything in cryovac, but perhaps, the meat is "unwrapped" somewhere where the public cannot see?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Beef tenderloin 2007/07/06 06:18:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by morningglory

Anyone know the grade of beef sold at Costco?

Previously frozen? At my local Costco, I can see the butchers behind/beyond the meat display case, and to my untrained eye, it appears the meat is fresh. I did not see anything in cryovac, but perhaps, the meat is "unwrapped" somewhere where the public cannot see?

They sell Choice, fresh.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1