Beefy King, Orlando, FL

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2009/02/14 06:52:29 (permalink)

Beefy King, Orlando, FL

This place is an insititution in Orlando.  I got there at 11:00 AM and there were plenty of people already eating their roast beef sandwiches.  I got there passing through a Thai shopping district..Several Thai restaurants.  I mention this in passing because if I am ever back this way, I'll go for Thai.

Beefy King for me was terrific.  No, not for the roast beef that it serves, but for the interesting way that they do it.  When I arrived, I saw two huge Berkel (top shelf slicers) automatic slicers and I noticed a see-through glass tower that was an extension to a platform scale.  The operator could quickly read the weight of the sliced product being placed on the platform by looking at this almost eye level tower.  Very neat! 

Each sandwich portion of meat is weighed..Kudos to their management, but I hate that as a customer!  They offer three sizes starting at $3.  I got the $4 size because I knew RibDog was bringing Cuban sandwiches from Tampa.  Thanks again for the sandwich RB.  I brought the two BBQ mavens Beefy King sandwiches.  I never asked how they liked them..It's such a mundane sandwich.

Each time an order was placed, I observed the operator turning on the slicer and cutting from a very large, medium rare, roast beef.  I'm guessing it was a bottom round.  It looked beautiful.  Anyway, he proceeded to take this sliced meat and put it down a few inches from the slicer..on his left.  Why put the meat on the stainless steel table?  I said to myself what the heck is this guy doing?  Then he placed a cover over the meat.

(Now that I have put the pictures up (FINALLY!), let me say if you look closely at the picture with the operator, you can see the rare roast beef sitting in the slicer.  You can also see how large this slicer is..This is an institutional sized slicer..Never see one of these in a normal sized deli.  They use these for high volume slicing operations.  You can also see that tower that indicates the portion weight.  The only thing that you can't see is the cover that he places over each serving of roast beef, but I think you can see that little raised square.)

What I should have done is pull an Ellen and ask the guy, if I could go behind the counter and take closer photos of this very interesting process.  But, alas, my pair is a lot smaller than her's.

This has been a family business since the 1950's..They have a website..Don, if you don't mind..I am just learning to do these pictures! 

Notice the little raised stainless steel plate, built into that table, that houses a steamer operating underneath that table.  Each portion of rare roast beef is reheated with a burst of steam coming up from under that table.  

I'd  have preferred just the cold, rare roast beef.

They have several condiments such as bbq sauce and horseradish sauce out in the dining room.. They serve those potato buds, soda, etc.  It is a much better product than Arby's and if you want a basic roast beef sandwich, I guess it's fine.

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/14 07:23:29

27 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 07:13:08 (permalink)
    Well, did you like the sandwich? (or did you not eat one?)
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 07:16:44 (permalink)
    Of course I ate one MD....(5 Guys..Cute)

Don..Do you know what a smart ass is?  It's a guy who can sit on an ice cream cone and tell you what flavor it is.

Let me see if I can put up a picture of a half eaten sandwich.  I should have opened the sandwich up first and took the picture.  You know, I really hate that type of picture.  Professional photographer that I now am.   On second thought, I will not put it up.  I'll spare you all.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/14 07:21:06
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 07:35:41 (permalink)
    I thought that perhaps you just picked them up for the BBQ guys.

Did you like it?
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 08:21:16 (permalink)
    I was just ok.  Nothing I'd ever go back a second time for. 

RibDog, if you are reading this, what was your impresssion (I did not have them steam the guys sandwiches because I had a good 30 minute drive to Lakeland) of the sandwich? 

If you go on tripadvisor.com the reviews are glowing for this place.  They have been in business since 1967 according to their site.

I'm wondering if the family came up with this preparation process or copied it from someone else.

MD - I thought you were busting em for my reluctance to eat a  burger at 5 Guys.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/14 08:22:18
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 08:54:59 (permalink)
    Baah Ben,  What an excellent report.  I love the details from someone who's been there. 

I am going to look this place up on one of my Orlando trips.

For the record, I think MD was being a smart a**!!!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 14:16:12 (permalink)
    good question, Don, "Did you like it?"...
    cause that's the one important thing you left out in your great paragraph, Chuck...

so we've got yet another overrated place, huh?

So it's a hot roast beef, with hopefully a nice side of au jus?
    I love a good french dip!

glad you got to try it, and I'm glad that RB brought you a good Cuban.

I see you gave me a little mention there in your report...
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 14:33:29 (permalink)
    If what you are describing is a good french dip-I am all over that!!!It is hard to find one these days using a good , freshly slice beef roast-medium rare, please!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/14 22:49:26 (permalink)
    While it is hard for me to give a very meaningful impression on the sandwich since I did not try it as it is served in the restaurant, the roll and the quality of the beef seemed reasonably good.  Would I give it another try if I was at the restaurant itself, most definitely.  That is only fair to the restaurant.

John
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/15 15:04:03 (permalink)
    congratulations on starting to post pictures Ben.
    not only do you do great reviews, now we have the pictures too.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/15 15:05:12 (permalink)
    No au jus was offered with the sandwich.... This is nothing like a great French Dip sandwich...I wish it was, but it is not.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/15 15:07:02
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/15 20:44:28 (permalink)
    Thanks SK...I'm going to the JohnA School of Photo Journalism.  It's been a big help.  Now, I have to get into the habit of taking my camera with me. 

All of a sudden MD is demanding pictures!  What a ball buster he is....
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/16 04:48:03 (permalink)
    I'm going to send Ellen to give you photo layout lessons. 
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/16 10:01:31 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

I'm going to send Ellen to give you photo layout lessons. 

That was a nice plug, Don, but it looks like some of our Roadfooders are already suffering from "T.M.E."
    (too much Ellen)

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/16 10:33:03 (permalink)
    No No...Nay Nay ....Never too much Ellen
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/16 18:04:07 (permalink)
    Baah Ben

No No...Nay Nay ....Never too much Ellen

That's sweet; thanks, Chuck..
    cause I would understand otherwise, too , as I can get too nutty , (I even have enough of Ellen sometimes!) (as in "not this again, Ellen, c'mon!")
    LarryS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/20 00:36:50 (permalink)
    New guy here but anyway i use to clean the hoods there at Beefy King. The guy behind the counter is Woody, belive it or not he is a ex major leauge baseball player.   
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/21 18:51:35 (permalink)
    Larry - First..WELCOME!

Can you tell us some more about the place?  Like I said, I wish I could have gotten behind the counter because I was fascinated with the concept. 

I never saw anything like this in 20 years in the business.  So, either his Dad, who I believe started this company came up with the idea or perhaps he saw it someplace else?  Just wondered if you know more about the whole thing.

What do you think of the sandwich?
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/21 18:53:25
    LarryS
    Junior Burger
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/22 23:51:56 (permalink)
    From what Woody told me his dad came up with the idea. Sorry don't know much more than that. The sandwich is ok, my wife thinks Arby's is better? I will say this, i have cleaned a lot of hoods in many restaurants in the Orlando area and Beefy King's kitchen and food handling is top notch.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/23 00:42:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Larry.  Good for his Dad...The sandwich is fine, but it's nothing special.. from what I hear about a Baltimore Pit Beef sandwich, it's more exciting than a Beefy King.

They are doing a great job so my personal ideas mean nothing.  But, for me to want to ever go back I would have wanted a far better type of roll, a medium rare beef and more of it and an interesting condiment or meat juice dip.  

Now, if they had something like a debris sandwich (Mother's in NOLA) that would be a different story.  I am not a fan of potato buds either...UGH 

Thanks again for the information Larry. 

So, do you have any favorite restaurants in Orlando?  I'd love to hear them. 

You know site members on chowhound.com and perhaps even here on roadfood.com lost a really good source for recommending places in Orlando...Bob Mervine.  Steve was a wonderful guy and always willing to help anyone looking for a dining recommendation.  He was amazing.  Bob..We miss you buddy.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/24 01:08:49
    LarryS
    Junior Burger
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2009/02/24 00:30:34 (permalink)
    Been in Illinois for 3 years now, so any info i have would be outdated. Loved going to the Butcher Shop on I-Drive, walk in, pick out your sides you would like, the cut of meat you wanted, because they had every cut of meat you could think of. Chops the size of Utah, you had the option of cooking it yourself over one of 4 charcoal grills, that way the meat never came back cooked wrong. Boston's Seafood House on Aloma Ave. in Winter Park Fl. for the Clam Chowder. For the freshest seafood anywhere it would be Rusty's Seafood in Port Canavral, about a 35 min. drive from Orlando. You sit on the docks watching the weekend warriors trying to launch or load up their boats, it really is like a comedy show. You have a few cold one's, then the real fisherman return from the ocean with their limits of just caught Grouper, Snapper, Cobia and such. They sell this to Rusty's and you walk in and tell them what fish you want and how you want it cooked, really the best seafood anywhere. My fav? The Grilled Grouper Sandwich with Fresh Tomato, Lettuce, Red Onion, a little bit of Mayo and a side of just made Snapper Ceviche.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/07 09:22:02 (permalink)
    Funny, I posted about Beefy King on another Orlando thread, saying that I wanted to get there and try their sandwich.  This looked like an oasis in the land of chain restaurants.

Well I don't have to worry about getting to Orlando.  Beefy kings first franchise is in Wilkes-barre, Pa, about five miles from my home.

Anyone try it yet?  Mosca?  Stan?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/07 18:42:32 (permalink)
    Holy Heck, rogo, no I haven't, but I will certainly make a point to try it!
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/07 20:32:57 (permalink)
    One of the things I helped to do while working new products at McDonald's was to prove the number of ways McDonald's could not sell a roast beef sandwich. Along with roasting from fresh, reheating precooked roasts in an oil bath called a tepidarium and reheating individual portion packs of sliced roast beef in a water bath, we tried steam injection which sounds similar to Beefy King's approach. Steaming took beautifully medium rare roast beef and screwed up both its flavor and color - perhaps the least successful approach except for microwaving which never made it to a in-store test.

Never been to Beefy King. Perhaps they steam sliced beef better than McDonald's. I understand why they do it - I'm guessing they precook the beef and slice it cold - much easier to control food cost. But there is no way it can compare to roast beef sliced fresh from the oven.
    hannahbannah
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/07 21:10:42 (permalink)
    Boy am I craving a Kelly's roast beef sandwich from Boston.  Ok Ill have a side of their onion rings too......Where is Beefy King??
    dasl_4
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/08 00:32:37 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of Beefy King   ... for years my brother told me how amazing it was. I finally gave in took my mother out to try the beef sandwich and we both thought it was awful. We teased him for ages about sending us out to eat "crap". It was only then he told us he always had the ham n cheese not the beef! 30 yrs living here and we haven't been back a second time to try the ham.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/08 20:53:13 (permalink)
    where is Beefy King in Orlando?
    I'm going to a guitar show at Ocseola Heritage Park in Kissimee in a couple weeks & sounds like a good early lunch stop.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Beefy King, Orlando, FL 2011/01/08 21:53:55 (permalink)
    sk bob

where is Beefy King in Orlando?
    I'm going to a guitar show at Ocseola Heritage Park in Kissimee in a couple weeks & sounds like a good early lunch stop.

Hey Bob, Bring your camera.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1