The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37
TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 1:49 PM (permalink)

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
    RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 2:02 PM (permalink)

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
      RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
      Budweiser beer is not that hot to begin with,both their regular and lite beers suffer from a lack of taste. I would imagine this new deal will be tried by 'the younger set' for a bit and then slowly disappear. Being the most successful brewery ever leaves me as sort of a lone wolf here for ragging on their beer but I have spent many years as a beer test pilot and have experience on my side.

cheesehead

• Total Posts: 48
        RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 2:20 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by garykg6

Budweiser beer is not that hot to begin with,both their regular and lite beers suffer from a lack of taste. I would imagine this new deal will be tried by 'the younger set' for a bit and then slowly disappear. Being the most successful brewery ever leaves me as sort of a lone wolf here for ragging on their beer but I have spent many years as a beer test pilot and have experience on my side.

Gary, I love your description of being a beer test pilot. I grew up in Wisconsin when we still had 50 - 60 mini-breweries, as well as most of the Majors. I grew up knowing what "good" beer is. I had been away from Wis. for 27 years, living on the Left Coast. I had a chance to try other local beers. Some ok, some not.

Budweiser is NOT good beer, but for that matter, I'm not fond of the other "popular" beers. Fortunately, Wis. now has a number of micro and mini breweries to choose from. I definitely won't be testing the new gimmicky beer from A/B.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
          RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 3:02 PM (permalink)
          It sounds horrible!

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
            RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 3:37 PM (permalink)
            Beer???? sounds more like a beer or malt flavored alcoholic beverage, not what most of use consider beer. Of cource, the above comments about regular Budweiser products and those of other large "name" breweries is spot on - the high production stuff brewed for large scale consumption is not what real beer lovers savor.

On the other hand, I'm not sure to what extent the average consumers palate would enjoy the richer tastes of a good brewpubs offerings.

The scariest thing about this new spiked brew is the potential for creating what we always feared the most, an awake drunk. Back in college, a friend would say never to give a drunk a cup of coffee to keep him awake. It was better to let him sleep it off than to share his misery with the rest of us.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 5:34 PM (permalink)
              Oh wonderful----Drunk kids on "speed"!!!!! Isnt that just what America needs! Lets load them up on cheap beer that not only gets them buzzed but keeps them all night so they will spend even more time driving around drunk then they do already, I saw in the news from my old home in Chico Ca that they barely saved a kid at a frat house with blood alchol levels of .450!!!!!! He's lucky if he doesnt suffer brain damage big time!I really dont think there is ANY need to markey any alcohol at all to the 20 somthing market,( i know i DIDNT NEED any ads to tell me when i was 23!!) and that this is just plain unconsciable---but hey--what do i know--after all this IS the USA and we all know that whats good for business is good for the country---right!!??

cheesehead

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:00 PM (permalink)
                I just saw an AP photo of a can of this garbage, and it is called beer with......(added ingredients).

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
                  RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:03 PM (permalink)

And unfortunately, the "alkapops" are being marketed more and more towards teens..

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                    RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:03 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by cheesehead

Budweiser is NOT good beer, but for that matter, I'm not fond of the other "popular" beers. Fortunately, Wis. now has a number of micro and mini breweries to choose from. I definitely won't be testing the new gimmicky beer from A/B.
                    If you haven't already, take a tour of the Gray brewery. Real down-to-earth people and I'm proud to have supported them for many years.

Brad

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                      RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:10 PM (permalink)
                      As former brewmaster at Gray's, I'm glad to hear they're still keeping their customers satisfied.

Sundancer7

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:17 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

As former brewmaster at Gray's, I'm glad to hear they're still keeping their customers satisfied.

Poverty, you amaze me!! Is there a place you have not been? You are a jewel as you seem to have been everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing you in Memphis and lexington, TN at Hays BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                          RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:19 PM (permalink)
                          to Cheesehead and other beer enthusiasts from Wisconsin(actually everyone who loves beer),one of best domestic beers I ever tasted was brewed in Wisconsin....'AUGSBURGER',made(makes) a great lager,a killer dark and a Oktoberfest to bring a tear to the eye.
                          And here I thought I was going to get vivisected for my stand on 'Bud'. May all roadfooders responding accept my apology of underestimation.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                            RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

to Cheesehead and other beer enthusiasts from Wisconsin(actually everyone who loves beer),one of best domestic beers I ever tasted was brewed in Wisconsin....'AUGSBURGER',made(makes) a great lager,a killer dark and a Oktoberfest to bring a tear to the eye.
                            And here I thought I was going to get vivisected for my stand on 'Bud'. May all roadfooders responding accept my apology of underestimation.

Gary, I think we all agree. There is mass produced beer and then there is much better beer usually produced in smaller quantities. But good beer does not have to be brewed just by microbrewers; the old Genesee Beer Company is now High Falls Brewery, and in addition to the mass market Genny products, they make some very fine brews.

Among them are Michael Shea's Irish Amber, and JW Dundee's Honey Brown. Two new ones are JW Dundee's Pale Ale, or Amber Lager. These beers quite rich and tasty, and are the equal to any of the better quality stuff being brewed by smaller breweries today. They even brought out a richer tasting light beer, Kipling Light which they are marketing as a "Dark Light" Beer. If you find any of these in Wisconson, let me know how you think they stack up to Augsburger.

ScreamingChicken

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:50 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

Augsburger's still brewed in Monroe by Huber, who's also responsible for Berghoff (and does a lot of contract brewing and packaging these days). I have no idea why but during my college years in Des Moines ('81-85) Augsburger was readily available and affordably priced, which made it a great alternative to the other domestics. I used to buy 6 lagers and 6 darks and alternate...

Here's my current WI favorite: http://www.lakelouie.com

Brad

ScreamingChicken

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

When were you there? I invited a bunch of college friends up from Des Moines in Chicago back in the summer of '96 and we took the tour. Afterwards we cleaned the nearest package store out of its Gray's stock and had a nearly-all-night cookout back at the house...I think we had enough empties to cover the deck rail from 1 end to the other.

I think I'll go dig out a Tom T. Hall album...

Brad

cheesehead

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:

Augsburger's still brewed in Monroe by Huber, who's also responsible for Berghoff (and does a lot of contract brewing and packaging these days). I have no idea why but during my college years in Des Moines ('81-85) Augsburger was readily available and affordably priced, which made it a great alternative to the other domestics. I used to buy 6 lagers and 6 darks and alternate...

Here's my current WI favorite: http://www.lakelouie.com

Brad

Brad, I hadn't seen this one yet. They haven't gotten down this far. I'll have to come up to Stoughton or Madison to get some.

Yes, I have been through the Gray Brewery. Did that almost immediately after moving back here. I have also been throught the New Glarus Brewing Company. Great beer here too. I love Leinies Big Butt, even tho Leinies is owned by Miller.

If I'm not mistaken, Huber has a contract to brew all Burghoffs beer, including what is sold at the resteraunt and at one of the ball parks. Huber has distribution rites for Wisconsin and the Resteraunt has distribution rites for Illinois. My wife is from Monroe, so I have been through the Huber Brewery many times when we went over there on visits.

Poverty Pete

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

quote:

When were you there? I invited a bunch of college friends up from Des Moines in Chicago back in the summer of '96 and we took the tour. Afterwards we cleaned the nearest package store out of its Gray's stock and had a nearly-all-night cookout back at the house...I think we had enough empties to cover the deck rail from 1 end to the other.

I think I'll go dig out a Tom T. Hall album...

I was there during that summer. I recall a group coming up from Champaign, Ill, but I guess that wasn't you.

Sundancer, "Round, round, getaround, I get around..."

Brad

Poverty Pete

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                      Cheesehead, while in Monroe, did you ever stop in at that place on the town square that serves those limburger and onion sandwiches? I loved that sandwich.

DinoS

• Total Posts: 128
                                        RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                        Hey, I like Budweiser! My fridge always has a six or two in it.

Dino (slipping into his asbestos suit)

cheesehead

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Wed, 01/26/05 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Cheesehead, while in Monroe, did you ever stop in at that place on the town square that serves those limburger and onion sandwiches? I loved that sandwich.

Baumgartners? Absolutely!!!! Everytime we go over. Swiss on Rye, limburgher, crackers and beer, OH YEAH!!!!!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                            RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by DinoS

Hey, I like Budweiser! My fridge always has a six or two in it.

Yo, Dino, I'm with you on this one, but I don't think WE actually chose to do this, BIG BUSINESS and the MARKETERS forced us to do it. In fact my arm is still twisted behind my back from being forced to buy beer.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                                              RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                              Dino and oneiron -

Have you guys tasted the world of beer out there beyond macro lagers?

My personal experience has been that once you taste things such as American IPAs, German Doppelbocks, Russian Imperial Stouts, Belgian Strong Dark Ales and Scottish Wee Heavies, the Budweisers of the world have nothing to offer. The flavor profile of American Adjunct Lagers is simply so bland that it becomes totally uninteresting. In fact, Miller holds United States Patent
                                              4,180,589 for the preparation of bland beer. If you think I am kidding about this, Google it.

cheesehead

RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by DinoS

No heat Dino, that's why there are horse races. I just find the "pop" beers have about as much character as water, which I drink a lot of. Beer, to me, is like wine (which I also enjoy). Thunderbird is also on my do not drink list.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                                  RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Brent Kulman

Dino and oneiron -

Have you guys tasted the world of beer out there beyond macro lagers?

My personal experience has been that once you taste things such as American IPAs, German Doppelbocks, Russian Imperial Stouts, Belgian Strong Dark Ales and Scottish Wee Heavies, the Budweisers of the world have nothing to offer. The flavor profile of American Adjunct Lagers is simply so bland that it becomes totally uninteresting. In fact, Miller holds United States Patent
                                                  4,180,589 for the preparation of bland beer. If you think I am kidding about this, Google it.

I agree w/ your facts. However, I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but since I was weaned on Anheuser Busch products, I just don't like the taste of many other brands.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4714
                                                    RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    There are great microbrews out here in Portland which I cherish. However I ave fond memories of my time in the midwest with Point Beer, Hudepohl, and (sic) Lienenkuegel. Are these midwestern beers still around?
                                                    The idea of beer with caffeine is truly awful.

cheesehead

• Location: Janesville, WI
                                                      RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      Oh yeah, Point, Leinies, Capitol, Berghoff, Heilemans in La Cross is now brewing some of Pabts and Miller is brewing the rest of Pabts, Grays, New Glarus, and lots of others.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                        RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by rmcielwain
                                                        And unfortunately, the "alkapops" are being marketed more and more towards teens...

Dearfolk,
                                                        ... and pre-teens.
                                                        Unburpingly, Ort. Carlton in Livelier-Than-Carbonated-Coffee Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

• Location: Athens, GA
                                                          RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

quote:

Here's my current WI favorite: http://www.lakelouie.comBrad

Brad,
                                                          If they ever opt for a bottling line, let me know. It would be impossible for me to bring growlers of cold beer back to Georgia from Wisconsin (unless I did something outrageous like plastic-line my car trunk and fill it with ice!). I agree that draught beer tastes better than packaged anyday, but I'll not make it to Wisconsin anytime soon.
                                                          Thirstily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Has An Excellent Brewpub.

Ort. Carlton.

• Location: Athens, GA
                                                            RE: Beer: the Quicker pick-me-upper Thu, 01/27/05 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            Dearfolk,
                                                            I'll try it just once out of sheer curiosity... and to keep the can. It's weird enough that it can't possibly remain in production too long: the novelty will wear off.
                                                            Its description sort of reminds me of Hop 'N' Gator from Pittsburgh Brewing and Lime Lager from Lone Star Brewing... both brands have, alas, gone bye-bye... as has my favorite, Cool Colt Malt Liquor. I've probably got ten cases of traders of that 16-ounce can scattered about....
                                                            Collectingly, Ort. Carlton, B. C. C. A. # 24309, in Athens, Georgia.
                                                            P. S. Thanks for reminding me, folks... I've gotta renew my membership!
                                                            P. P. S. For those of you who do not know, B. C. C. A. stands for Beer Can Collectors of America. I joined in 1979 or 1980 and am still a one-eye-open active collector.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com