Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
2009/08/10 23:41:41 (permalink)

Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster

… and it starts with a Bucket of Balls.

(apologies for formatting, I am pasting from Word and this is my first time doing so in the "new" forum format... it seems to have changed some of the hard returns!)

It all started with a BEEE-UUUU-Tee-Full day in Manchester NH.  I drove up from Massachusetts to catch my flight to Chicago Midway, and in the deal I had arranged to park for free at a friend’s office next to the airport. Instead of going out to lunch before he dropped me off for the flight, we decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and go to the driving range nearby and hit a couple of buckets of balls.   An hour or so later, I was at MHT ready to hop on Southwest 474 to Midway where I was meeting up with Buffetbuster, for a eatingful drinkingful weekend in Kentucky!!!

We talked a long time ago about our mutual desire to eat at the Bon Ton Mini Mart. And BB finally made a plan, contacting the Bon Ton’s most loyal (and famous) patron, Louis, who is also a regular RFer and a Henderson KY resident. BB arranged to meet up with Louis on the last Saturday in April, and happily he invited me along.  BB also asked me to write the trip report, so those of you who might be disappointed that this is not his own hand should know that (a) I was coerced [J], and (b) he will have something to say here (I hope!!).

My uneventful flight landed at Midway and the very first thing I noticed – since it was my first time at this airport – was the plethora of food offerings! And really decent options - even good to great options. 

As I told BB, I reckon Midway has more eating choice per airplane gate than any other airport, anywhere!  We grabbed two dogs at his favorite place to share at the gate: a Superdawg and a Woder(?)dawg.  At the gate we plopped down next to some young men who turned out to have been on my flight from MHT.  (We took photos of us & the kids, but they must be on BB’s camera because they didn’t come home with me! I never delete anything so am at a loss!)

Here are our dawgs (gotta spell that right!)… (again, missing pics! Not sure why… all the photos I downloaded are actually sequential!)

A delayed departure meant a late arrival in Louisville, and disappointingly we missed the view from the plane of the event scheduled for this start to Derby Week, the “Balloon Glow”. But we saw the traffic snarl-aftermath!  Apparently a hot air balloon had broken off its tether and come a bit close to an airplane, so they shut down a little early. Oh well.  We grabbed the rental car and went to our hotel. (Hey! Don’t even think you’re going to go there, people! We had separate rooms!) Not 8 hours of sleep later we were up, out and on the road to Henderson, to meet Louis and hit the Bon Ton.
I think we arrived at about 8:30-8:45am, gaining an hour as we drove into Central Daylight Time (CDT).  We found him no problem and, as he was generously chauffeuring us around all day, we jumped in his car and went off to the Bon Ton.  When we arrived a few minutes later, it was obvious we were in for a treat – the parking lot was packed – mostly with pick-ups! (IMHO a very good sign.) Then again, as Louis is one of Jane & Michael’s best taste-suggesters, and Bon Ton is a favorite of theirs, we pretty much expected goodness, if not greatness.  I believe it lived up to its reputation. That first bite for me was as described by Michael in his review: 
http://www.roadfood.com/R.../343/bon-ton-mini-mart

My biscuits were also fantastic. And Louis is such a regular (apparently averaging 6 days/week there), they let him bring in some fantastic baked beans from a BBQ place down the road called Thomason’s. These beans were so good, in my book they rivaled my all-time faves from the Ridgewood in TN. (That is HIGH praise!)  Terrific stuff. Louis even has his own coffee made there. I added biscuits and gravy to my meal, as I came hungry and love B&G.  The biscuits were delicious, just moist enough and flaky enough. The gravy was good but nothing special, though I was more than happy with the whole meal!
All gone:

Owner of the fried chicken’s secret recipe:

Atmosphere etc… and Louis has to remind me of the waitress’ name (she was great)…

We finished off with pie (dear readers, you are not surprised!)… happily Louis had asked in advance that they make their Kool-Aid pie, which was delicious (we had orange), and we shared a slice of fantastic chess pie as well. That chess pie was as good as any I, or BB, had ever had.
Chess:

Kool-Aid:

Good company came in as we were on the way out:

As full as we were, we had a lonnnnng roadfooding day ahead, so we finished off and headed out of Henderson, southbound to both Sebree, KY and to a tiny place near the Tennessee border where we were meeting venerable RFer Poverty Pete, who rode his bike up from Nashville to share a meal with us. 
As we left town we passed where the beans came from, also reviewed here:
http://www.roadfood.com/R...779/thomasons-barbecue

On the way to meet Poverty Pete, we had a stop in the tiny town of Sebree, to visit a neat old place that’s a pharmacy and old time soda fountain (reviewed here as well), Bell’s Pharmacy. 
 http://www.roadfood.com/R.../3477/bells-drug-store

Louis was worried they wouldn’t have their famous Orange-ade available (not usually a weekend thing), but we were in luck!!!!!  We watched the young lady squeezing the oranges and stirring up our drinks, had a look around the store and tiny town, and hit the road again.  Delicious and refreshing, it was a great way to wash down the amazing fried chicken on the way to some terrific BBQ. What a neat old American town. A freight train even went through (a block away) while we were having our look around.
Inside:

Appropriate sign for RFers:

Making the good stuff & close-ups:

We drove south through Hopkinsville (natives: “Hoptown”) and then headed down a two-lane highway rolling through southern Kentucky toward Tennessee.

Destination: Knockum Hill BBQ. We were a little late and BB had asked Pete to grab us an order of the pork ribs, in case they ran out! (When he arrived he heard a group of 40 was expected behind him!)  Thankfully he took care of us, and though still a bit full from “breakfast”, we managed to share a huge pork rib, some slaw and some local “Bergoo”.  This place is a biker heaven, as you could tell immediately on arrival!  Beautiful roads, great food, loads of outdoor seating… on an 80+ degree day, what’s not to love?! Besides, it was the most absolutely dripping moist pork I had ever seen. YUM!  It’s essentially in the owner’s backyard, only open Fridays and Saturdays, and really almost in the middle of nowhere, as you can see.
Knockum Hill outside:

And the good stuff:

The smoker(s):

Signs seen at KHbbq:

The RF gang:

We outlasted the biker crowd – I think the big group was a Harley-riding bunch from one state or the other (KY/TN) – and we sat enjoying the company, the weather and the food. (In all honesty I was still pretty full from the Bon-Ton, but I partook of enough of the good stuff to get the point of why we were there.) I had a swing in one of the many swings before we parted ways with Poverty Pete again and headed back up to Hoptown.
Crowd’s gone:

In Hoptown  (Hopkinsville), we were headed to the oldest of the local Ferrell’s (hamburger joints).

I know the boys weren’t too hungry at this stage, but I’d got some inside scoop on Ferrell’s before our visit… “If you get the chili, it’s on the thin side, so take *both* packets of crackers they give you and crumble them into it”. And so I did. I am also a grilled cheese connoisseur, so I ordered one of each (to share with BB, of course). The chili was yummy with the crackers, and the grilled cheese was basic but very good – and price-wise the best bargain I have seen in an American grilled cheese over the past coupla years.  Only a buck seventy-five!  Also got a photo of the owner with the nifty old clock.
Signs etc:

The chili and the cheese…

But, no rest for the wicked… we are off from Hoptown and Ferrell’s, leaving the skate-boarding posse of local preteens behind, and we are headed to the Land Between the Lakes. (Although he will never read this, I have to give a nod to an old flame who grew up out there – he calls it the “Land Between the Rivers”, since really they are dammed up fake lakes. Fair ‘nuff.)  We drove up into the middle of the LBL and north to Grand Rivers, KY – home of what is apparently Kentucky’s favorite restaurant destination: Patti’s.  WHAT an experience!!!!
Patti’s is unabashedly a bit on the commercial side (if I may say so), but popular for several reasons: sprawling old-time restaurant with wait staff in period clothing, gift shops and gardened ground all around, a nifty mill wheel in the midst, a wedding chapel, a mini-golf course (and I think perhaps a petting zoo – I should look that up…), and DRUMROLL for RFers… the 2 inch pork chop. That baby is BIG.  But for me it was not the highlight of the stop. In fact, I didn’t even eat one. (I had a hot brown, my first, not deemed to be of superior status by BB, but tasty for my first try.) The highlight was that it was Prom Night. In fact, the old flame’s high school no less: Marshall County High. And if you have not seen prom in Kentucky, you have NOT seen prom.  I thought we did it up well in California… we can’t hold a candle to KY!  I have never seen dresses like that, hair like that, shoes/make-up/spray-tans like that… dates who ALL wore ties and cumberbunds and vests to match – exactly – their dates’ dresses. And the women carried BOUQUETS. No corsages for these folks… full-on bouquets. Wow. Okay, I will get back to the food now, but suffice to say this was an experience. Make that a capital “E”.
Prom-goers:

Great view porch seats:

Fun method of serving bread:

Food: (oh is that why you are here?!) We had a long wait for an outdoor table (loved it, great weather, great views of fountain/gardens, and of prom-goers). Service was excellent. Sweet tea was great, and bottomless. Bread was just okay but scores an “A” for me on presentation: it came in flower pots.  I didn’t have the pork, but I was told it was very good. I think BB said it was really hard to compare though, since we had just had such an amazing pork experience at Knockum Hill. I was so full, I could not eat dessert. But BB and Louis made a valiant effort.
The HUGE Pork chop:

My Hot Brown: (yes they put homemade chips on it, odd perhaps?!)

Dessert:

Dessert we missed:

And we still were not done. (You know this is a BuffetBusting trip, and besides Louis is no slouch about food choices and wanted us to have the full experience in his neck of the woods!)

More to come in 30 secs or so...

post edited by cecif - 2009/08/10 23:45:56

52 Replies Related Threads

cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/10 23:44:43 (permalink)
    Next up: a drive in the setting sun > dusk > dark back up to near Henderson, for a stop at a great BBQ joint that had burnt down, but been resurrected of late: Peak Bros. Pit BBQ. 

Admittedly I was thinking I might explode if I had a full meal, and I was wearing out (long day of driving and eating, this is BB territory here, I am a small-timer by comparison!)  Guided by Louis, BB & I had two sandwiches to share, both excellent, though I seriously think by this point maybe my taste-buds were starting to overload. Still, worth the stop for interesting items like the mystery meat specialty that Louis will have to remind me the name of…  Here are our two halves of country ham and bbq mutton sandwiches, plus the special [chopped ham thing what WAS it called?!?!?!]

The inside:

The specialty…

The interior (quiet evening…)

Weary and full as we could possibly be, we made our way back to Louis’ and said our good-byes and thank-yous. He was an excellent host, a connoisseur of local food specialties, and knowledgeable beyond belief. And he is happy to entertain visitors, so if you get a hankering for some western KY chow, do give him a holler! 

SUNDAY: Southern Indiana and a Mayoral Visit
    Early as we could manage on Sunday morning, BB and I headed out of Henderson on up/out back toward Louisville. We had a pre-arranged rendezvous with venerable RFer Al-the-Mayor and his lovely bride, Janet. We knew we wouldn’t need any breakfast on the way – I think we were still a bit full from Saturday, or at least I was!  We arrived at the Bowens around 11am-ish (losing that hour crossing back to EDT), were greeted by the gorgeous Scotties and some home-baked biscuits and homemade jams. YUM! What a nice little treat, and they have a definite talent for jam-making – plus we had a first-hand look at the producers of the ingredients, the Bowen orchard!  Very nice. (Also loved seeing and smelling both my first wisteria and first lilacs of the season!)

Bowen orchard:

After our little tour ‘round, we headed out with Al to a favorite of his (and his many visitors, espec. TTM, or so I hear…), Joe Huber’s Family Restaurant. 

What a spread! We were ushered to a nice window-side table in the huge family-friendly dining room, and given menus with the kind of down-home basic great Midwestern (but almost Southern) fare you’d expect.  I ordered the big dinner combo, and I hope I can remember everything it included: country ham, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, chicken & dumplings, coleslaw, corn, and broccoli.  All of it delicious, I give it two thumbs up! 

Even following on the miracle of the Bon Ton, I thought the fried chicken was terrific. Al’s not a huge fan of the dumplings, and I agree I like the rounded lumpy kind (i.e. the Loveless), but they were great for what they are – a noodle-like version that’s local to this part of the world.  The broccoli was fantastic, IMHO.  And the one item that makes me want to return, and keeps Al’s tummy happy - the fried biscuits – were awesome! I can only describe them as similar to beignets or fried dough (for New Englanders), but a bit less greasy and very fluffy and light. Really great and they kept the basket loaded. Huber’s serves it with their own apple butter too, which is very tasty.

Broccoli close-up (great stuff!)

Now admittedly, at this point I’m feeling a bit “done”, but I am with BB and Al, and my day is SO not over! We had two important stops left! Dessert at both!! First up was ice cream from Grater's. We did the drive-through there since we were starting to be pressed a wee bit for time. I had cookie dough and BB had a blackberry. Both in waffle cones, both creamy and excellent.  (Can the dear readers tell I am running out of superlatives? Not to mention room in my tummy…?!)

Final stop, the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen, for you-know-what… pie!   Al invites us in:

Cases of goodies…

Knowing I couldn’t handle a whole slice of pie, I decided to go for the Derby-themed sugar cookie in the shape of a horse with roses. Cute AND yummy.  Al had a praline ice cream and BB had (you-know-it) a slice of pie. This was not his first visit to the venerable Louisville-area institution, and his choice was a chocolate cherry pie that screamed “rich” to me, was admittedly unphotogenic, but apparently delicious as ever.

Al’s choice:

Buffetbuster’s:

Mine:

Parting shot:

Phew. Are you feeling full yet?! Or just hungry because you are drooling over all this great food?

Our next stop was the Louisville airport (highly recommended btw – easy rental car access outside the terminal, friendly folks, short lines, or none… a great little airport).  I couldn’t do this kind of thing on a weekly basis, but I can say without a moment’s hesitation that it was the most memorable RF experience I have yet had, the best fried chicken I have ever tasted, the most moist pork I have ever seen, the widest variety of stops on one trip I have ever made… and all-in-all a WONDERFUL weekend.

And no, we didn’t actually have any bourbon! I just put that in the title cuz it’s Kentucky… and that’s one of their thangs.  (The “drinkingful” weekend actually refers to a lot of excellent sweet tea.) Hope you enjoyed the ride, y’all!

In a bit I will add a few photos of my ending, with the last of my KY munchies…

In the meantime, hope you enjoyed and glad I got it posted at LAST!!!!!!!

post edited by cecif - 2009/08/10 23:51:31
    cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/10 23:58:15 (permalink)
    I should add here my apologies: mainly to Cliff to Louis and to Al. This trip was completed (and report written) a lonnng time ago. But life interfered:

When we planned it I had NO idea I would be moving back to England a few weeks after the trip, nor did I know I'd have visa issues, or have to make more than one flight over.  I started my PhD in History on June 1st and between that and learning this new forum format, having to use a new photo site (I ran out of room on Flickr!) and getting timed-out uploading photos so that it took days to get thru all the uploads... I was slow. Capital S... SLOW.

Thank you guys for your patience and understanding. I hope the font size is right (no one told me the number).  And any errors are my own fault and I will be happily corrected!!!

Cheers! ccf

cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 00:03:09 (permalink)
    Just a few pictures from Kentucky that don't "fit" in the report...

A cool Roadfoodie sign:

The classic old KY barn, those who are from the area will REALLY get it:

Some great chips Louis gave us, I saved mine to the airport:

Deliciously hot and spicy but not too much:

A local treat I bought myself at the airport's local shop:

Hard to describe, but delicious candy!

YUM!

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4629
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 00:10:12 (permalink)
    It was worth the wait.
    The chicken & dumplings were made with flat noodles?
    cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 00:12:01 (permalink)
    bill voss

It was worth the wait.
    The chicken & dumplings were made with flat noodles?

Yeah, I think that's what Al doesn't like about them... to me those are not "dumplings", but apparently they are called that in certain parts of the world (or the States!).

Thanks, Bill.

BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 00:28:31 (permalink)
    In Arkansas flat dumplings were the norm. Even Squirrel And Dumplings had flat dumplings. We called the round balls of dough "Drop Dumplings". I don't recall my Grandmother ever using them. Great Roadtrip Review....."Like I Like!"
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 01:42:28 (permalink)
    What I found really interesting were those photographs of the independent restaurants or possibly small regional chains restaurants inside Midway Airport. You seldom see photos of food places inside airports anymore, and even less of non-chain or FF places. LaGuardia Airport Main Terminal is one of the only places I know of that has independently-owned, good places to eat.
    aleximoon
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 02:06:46 (permalink)
    Oh, I love Huber's.  Whenever we would visit my grandparents in New Albany we would go to Huber's.  One trip I even managed to talk the family into going twice.  After a roadtrip to Colorado my husband and I decided to drive back to Florida via Indiana just so we could have dinner at Huber's.  My devotion knows no limit.

And all the rest of your food just looks amazing.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 08:27:33 (permalink)
    Nice trip report.  You deserve a special Roadfood medal for keeping up with those guys!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 08:28:35 (permalink)
    Cecif-
    Thanks for doing such an amazing job on this report and you have absolutely nothing to apologize for.  You have been extremely busy and real life always comes first.

I will have plenty to add, including a few photos later on.  But here is cecif enjoying Bon Ton's fried chicken.

I think the smile says it all!
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/08/11 08:37:56
    cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 08:39:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Cliff! That's kind.... and some fantastic fried chicken!!!!! 
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 08:53:42 (permalink)
    I put on 10lbs,just looking at the pictures.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 08:59:08 (permalink)
    Great report so far!  Cecif, I see you're not afraid of a challenge...

All the main courses look great but if I had to choose a favorite based on appearance alone I might have to pick Huber's broccoli.  How was it prepared?

Brad
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 09:25:49 (permalink)
    That was a great report, Ceci!

The only things I could add are these:

1. The name of the waitress at the Bon Ton was Lori, who is the owner's daughter.

2.  The correct spelling is "Burgoo."

3. The "mystery meat" sample item I had you try at Peak Bros. Bar-B-Q was "chipped" barbecued ham.  When I saw you were eating sliced ham, I knew I had to steer you right, so I got the waitress to give you a sample of their "chipped" country ham, which is intoxicatingly rich; I can't handle more than just a sandwich.

Indeed, a month ago I made a colossal mistake of ordering "chopped" ham and "chopped" mutton at Peak Bros.  Bad mistake.  The flavor doesn't penetrate into the meat very well.  And sliced anything is even worse there.  For anyone who ever goes to Peak Bros., be sure to order everything "chipped."  They have a chipping machine that cuts the meat in such a way that the dip they put on the meat penetrates every pore.

Anyway, Ceci, it was worth the wait.  And you did a GREAT job with your trip report.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 11:44:18 (permalink)
    Ceci,

You must have had a volume of notes for each stop on your weekend! My memory would never have stored all that data, especially during such a busy time in your life. I hope your research is going well and that you have been able to sample the "regional" specialties in RedCoatLand!

RE- The "Dumplings" in Huber's Chicken and Dumplings menu item.  I guess "thick noodle" would be a reasonable descriptor. Readers should not interpret that to mean it is an 'egg noodle' in any more than basic shape.  It is THICK, rectangular shaped dough, usually an inch wide and 2 inches long by an eighth-of-an-inch thickness. It is 'soft dough' as opposed to noodle-firmness.  Years ago my Mom would make this sort of rolled out dough to cut and wrap around cherries or apricots when she made her Czech Fruit Dumplings.

Here they are as served as a side-dish (to TTM !)

I think the main reason I pass on those 'dumplings' is that they are a side dish on the Fried Chicken and Ham "Farm Dinner" and I like the Fried Chicken so much the side dish takes a second place ribbon as part of the menu.

It was our pleasure to host this part of your visit. We hope to see you again soon, (and bring "WhatsHisName" with you!)
    post edited by mayor al - 2009/08/11 12:04:08
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 482
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 13:29:41 (permalink)
    Wow - amazing photos of what sounds like a fun-FILLING trip! I got stuck on that pork rib picture from Knockum Hill - that looks like a Flintstone's size serving!
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1054
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 13:41:58 (permalink)
    Terrific report.

I choose to fly in to/out of Midway when going to Chicago (as opposed to connecting through Chicago), and the food choices in the airport are definitely one of the main reasons!  I always get a Chicago style dog there.  There's also a Harry Caray's, where you can get Chicken Vesuvio.

The chicken at Bon Ton looks great, but those biscuits look really fantastic.  Now the Kaelin's seems to have closed forever, this looks like a must-stop on my next trip through Louisville.

I've only been to Huber's once, but enjoyed it that time.  As good as the fried chicken is, I think the fried chicken livers are even better.  I'm partial to the fried biscuits, too -- very similar to the fried bread loaf that used to be served at a now-defunct place called Steckley's Olde House in Carmel (just north of Indianapolis), as well as in various places in Brown County, Indiana.  Addictive.

i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 14:14:54 (permalink)

What is the single, quickest way to get The Travelin Man to Kentucky:

(a) Court order

(b) Subpoena

(c) Interstate extradition

(d) This

(Great report, cecif! )
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 14:51:10 (permalink)
    I-95,

That may be his "Wish List"...but here is his "Reality Check" !! He blushes every time he recalls those eyes begging for his attention !

This should be your  Multiple-Choice  " E "   

post edited by mayor al - 2009/08/11 14:55:23
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6283
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 15:00:27 (permalink)
    Oh my...what a trip!!!! I stand in amazement at the variety and quality of the food you guys had....what an experience...thanks for taking me along!!!!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 16:30:07 (permalink)
    cecif, this is a truly great trip report. Good food and even better company in one of my favorite parts of the country. I've got to get back to western KY one of these days and visit some of these places myself. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 17:04:00 (permalink)
    Ceci did such an outstanding job on this report, I don't have too much to add.  Here are a few supplemental photos.....

The fried chicken at Bon Ton Mini Mart is everything the reviews say it is.  Incredibly juicy meat inside, but the spectacular golden crust

is what I will remember most.  When it comes to fried chicken, there is Stroud's, then Bon Ton and everyone else is far behind!  The Kool-Aid pie was smooth, cool and refreshing and was worth trying.  But it pales to the chess pie, which was simply the best I have ever had.  Here is our waitress Lori,

delivering us some serious pie.  We really received great service.  And that was undoubtedly because we were here with Roadfooder Louis

If it looks like Louis is comfortable here, he should be.  He told us he comes here six days a week!  Bon Ton Mini Mart was the perfect way to start a memorable eating day.

I was disappointed when Louis told us that Bell's Drug Store usually doesn't serve the orangeades on weekends.  So, I consider us very fortunate that we were able to snag some on our visit.  Here is Ceci taking some pics out front,

while Louis comes out the door to deliver the good news to us.

Knockum Hill was another worthwhile stop and this place deserves to be reviewed here on Roadfood.  Basically, the guy just put a bbq parlor is his backyard.  And those huge pork chops

are unlike anything I have seen anywhere else.  Here is their menu board.

Since we were in Kentucky, I was happy to get some burgoo.

It was also great to see ole buddy Poverty Pete, who was kind enough to drive up from Nashville to meet us.  Here he is next to his motorcycle,

just before we went our seperate ways.  And of course, every report has to include at least one shot of another Roadfooder taking photos and here is Ceci in action!

Like Ceci mentioned, Patti's was very, very commercial.  But, I'm still glad we stopped in here to see the impressive two inch pork chops

Louis and I ate.  And the fashion show put on by the local high school kids

was impressive and entertaining.

By the time we reached Peak Brothers BBQ, I was full and exhausted.  The food was very good, but I still couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.  No doubt, a return trip is necessary.  My favorite thing about this place is the partially burned copy of Gourmet magazine,

in which the Sterns wrote about the place, they have hanging on the wall.  This is obviously a survivor of their recent fire, which destroyed the old building.

Thanks again to Louis, who went above beyond as host and tour guide through a long day, full of great food.

At Huber's, I had the waitress take a photo of Mayor Al, Ceci and myself. 

And here is my ChiTownDiner inspired piece of chocolate cherry pie from Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen

As much as I enjoyed the three stops we made in Louisville, the best eating I did on this day was sampling the jams from Bowen orchard.  Everything we had was first rate!  And it was great to see Al and Janet again.  A special thanks to Ceci for this report and  for being such a wonderful traveling partner! 
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/08/11 17:17:47
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2409
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 22:03:23 (permalink)
    Cecif, Buffetbuster and The Mayor,  what an utterly amazing, beautiful and truly drool-worthy report!  As always Cecif, your pictures and narrative are top-drawer and make me hungry, even after I just ate! BB, you know how to make a guy crave some pie!  The Mayor, love your pics and I hope to break bread with you and BB one day at any one of these delicious looking places!  Louis, after reading this report, you remind me of Morgan Freeman in "Shawshank Redemption", your a man who knows how to get things!  And what is up with that Knockum Hill Pork Chop?   I think Fred Flintstone is gonna hunt someone down to get it back!  Thanks so much.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/11 22:49:21 (permalink)
    Billyboy,

Here's another shot of the Knock'em Hill BBQ Pork Chop. This was taken by Pov.Pete at a previous visit! It is a real Fred Flintstone entree !

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/12 00:18:21 (permalink)
    Well, if some of you guys want to take the same eating tour that Ceci and Buffetbuster did, let me know.

If it were to do over again, I think I might cut out Patti's, only because it is so far away.  We cheated ourselves by not returning to Henderson and then setting out for some other great eating spots nearby, such as Mr. D's for some spicy fried chicken and maybe the Bar-B-Q Barn in Evansville (to eat hamburgers and smoked chicken, not barbecue) in nearby Evansville, Indiana.

post edited by Louis - 2009/08/12 00:53:30
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/12 09:22:36 (permalink)
    Enjoyed the report. What a great roadfooding experience for all of you. Good luck on your ph.d Ceci.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/12 10:26:32 (permalink)
    I've been to the Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen in Louisville about a dozen times now.  This had to be the only time I ever had only one dessert, which shows you just how full I was from all this food.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/12 12:15:45 (permalink)
    Even if the report is belated, it is still an outstanding one.  It looks as though all of you had a great time.  Thanks for sharing all the details with us.
    cecif
    Re:Belatedly… Bon Ton, Bourbon and Buffetbuster 2009/08/13 16:14:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the kind comments everyone!

Thanks Buffetbuster for posting the extra pictures, and Louis for correcting the items I knew needed a fix/answer!

I've not had Stroud's, but I just can't imagine it would surpass Bon Ton in my personal best chicken contest!!!

p.s. i95, very funny as ever...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1