Belgian Waffles

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Belgian Waffles 2008/09/24 06:40:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Russ - for those who cannot get a separate electrical line (is it a 208 line?) in their home just to accomodate that waffle iron, I still think the new Presto s/s flip over unit is pretty good. It is definitely not a toy like some of the other cheap household units. There are some other heavy duty household units now on the market. All have enough power to now yield a crispy waffle.

I think once these manufacturers saw the success the Hampton Inns had with that flip over waffle maker for their morning guests, they worked on updating their's.

Boy, that recipe looks great. I'm just too damn lazy. But, I do make my own batter; no packaged stuff. I would like to add some malt flour. I will look for it in the store.

No its regular plug in. And I am sure the Presto is fine. But those old heavy ones sure make a crispy outer crust....Russ
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Belgian Waffles 2008/09/24 12:00:55 (permalink)
Ok, it's a regular plug in, but you said you need a separate circuit so I thought it might be commercial grade. Hey, I'm sure it is better than the Presto with all that weight and power. I never knew they existed. I would have brought one. The Presto I got was about $49.00

I love waffles, but they have to be really crisp.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Belgian Waffles 2008/09/24 12:05:51 (permalink)
quote:

Definately. To me, that is the #1 defining characteristic of a good waffle. It's got to be crisp. Otherwise it's just a funny looking pancake.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Belgian Waffles 2008/09/24 17:27:12 (permalink)
quote:

Ok, it's a regular plug in, but you said you need a separate circuit so I thought it might be commercial grade. Hey, I'm sure it is better than the Presto with all that weight and power. I never knew they existed. I would have brought one. The Presto I got was about $49.00

What I meant was to run it on an outlet on its own so as not to blow a circuit...Russ
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: Belgian Waffles 2008/09/24 17:29:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy

I prefer regular, smaller tread, home style-type waffles. If I can’t have those, Waffle House suits me just fine. Just ask for them cooked dark, so they are crispier. I hate soft, pale, doughy waffles.

Oh, and leave off the powdered sugar, pie filling, and whipped cream. It’s breakfast, not dessert, for crying out loud. Serve them with good maple syrup or honey.

And don’t even come near them with chocolate chips or bananas. Disgusting.

Right! But, add bacon to my order, please.
Samsummers
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Belgian Waffles 2011/12/28 17:38:00 (permalink)
Belgian is best!
Riss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:Belgian Waffles 2012/05/25 09:55:36 (permalink)
There are two types of Belgian Waffles. One from Brussels which is light and used as a carrier for its toppings baked on large deeper cast iron plates You find these type in many restaurants around the United States.

The other is the Liege Waffle from Belgium. It is often served as street food across Europe and Asia. The Liege waffle is made from a modified Brioche DOUGH and not a batter. The Liege Waffle rises from yeast instead of baking powder. It is heartier and once you try one, it will be hard to go back to regular waffles. The Liege waffle uses Belgium pearl sugar (a beet sugar that is as large as a pea.) The sugar is throughout the waffle, but when it is baked on a cast iron waffle iron, the outside sugar carmelizes making the waffle crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. There are several places in the US that serve these waffles, most of them in large cities.

There is a food truck in central Illinois (Champaign & Urbana) that makes these waffles from scratch each day in their certified commercial mobile kitchen. It is called the Crave Truck and has quite a local following.
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:Belgian Waffles 2012/06/25 17:33:18 (permalink)
I wonder what the effect would be if you sprinkled some pearl sugar into the Brussels batter just after you poured it on the iron? Anyone tried that?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1