Ben's Shrimp

Author
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
2003/10/14 15:08:36 (permalink)

Ben's Shrimp

OK, anyone remember Ben's Shrimp in Chicago? Is it still there? It was on North Avenue at Cherry St. last time I was there, that had to be 15-20 years ago.
You could get deep fried breaded shrimp by the pound and they served them in recycled coffee bags. We'd get a pound or two and head East a little farther and eat em' at North Avenua beach.
I haven't found anywhere to get shrimp or fish like that to go anywhere lately. Is Ben's still there? If not, where can you buy shrimp and/or fish by the pound all cooked up and ready to "snack" on?

2 Replies Related Threads

twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Ben's Shrimp 2004/04/04 14:29:11 (permalink)
    I don't know about Ben's but Chicago has long had neighborhood seafood shops where you can get fried shrimp or fish by the pound along with smoked or fresh fish. It seems that many of these had Scandinavian owners and I know that Frank Hansen's on Harlem has recently closed.

In Des Plaines there is a very busy shop called Don's Dock. It has it's roots from a Scandinavian fishing family in Door County Wisconsin. I often stop in and get a pound of fried shrimp and a bottle of Hoffman House seafood sauce. You can sit down and eat there or carry out. It's not a restaurant but they have tables and lots of folks have lunch there. They have fried fish and shrimp , fresh fish/shrimp, smoked and various daily specials. Nice family place. Give it a try. It's on Northwest Highway, west of Mannheim/Lee Street.

Do other cities have these kinds of places or is it a Chicago phenom that can be traced to Scandinavian immigrants???
    longoria
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Ben's Shrimp 2006/10/19 22:18:54 (permalink)
    I do remember Ben's. I haven't been there since the early 90's. Last time I tried to go there a Jiffy Lube had been built there. I heard that they moved to the intersection of California and I think Chicago. I tried looking them up online but they must have changed their name too. I never went down there to look. I'd like to know what happened to them too. They had the best shrimp I've ever had.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1