Bento box art

Author
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Joined: 2001/06/04 14:01:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
2005/04/27 09:32:34 (permalink)

Bento box art

Hi All -

From the PBS series on the Meaning of Food, an interactive presentation on the Japanese bento box lunch.

Go here http://www.pbs.org/opb/meaningoffood/food_and_family/obento/ and then click on "Read More" to start the presentation.

I found it rather touching.

-Yumbo
#1

9 Replies Related Threads

    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/27 10:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

    Hi All -

    From the PBS series on the Meaning of Food, an interactive presentation on the Japanese bento box lunch.

    Go here http://www.pbs.org/opb/meaningoffood/food_and_family/obento/ and then click on "Read More" to start the presentation.

    I found it rather touching.

    -Yumbo


    That is really neat. I worked with a guy, who was far from a kid, and his Japanese mom would prepare lunches that were a daily work of art. They didn't have happy faces and such on them, but were arranged and organized so remarkably in beautiful boxes that I insisted I get a look before he started eating. Sadly, he would often hide these works of art fearing people would poke fun at him....which they did. I told him he should be proud, as this was a unique glimpse into a cultural tradition most of us don't get in this country.
    #2
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/27 15:59:59 (permalink)
    I have a book called "Ekiben, The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch." It's a wonderful book published by Chronicle, one of my favorite companies. The photos are all in color and very detailed.
    I also have a cookbook called "Bento Boxes, Japanese Meals on the Go." It's by Naomi Kijima. Great photographs and fun recipes. My daughter and I both collect bento boxes and like to fill them with traditional foods. Thanks for posting the website Yumbo. It's very cool.
    Tony Bad, people really poked fun at your co - workers food? That is pretty sad, isn't it?
    #3
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/27 16:20:27 (permalink)
    quote:

    Tony Bad, people really poked fun at your co - workers food? That is pretty sad, isn't it?


    It is sad, but true. We worked as lab techs (science geeks...complete with pocket protectors) but the area we worked was primarily a manufacturing area and those guys loved to rip at us anyway...so a guy bringing a picture perfect lunch his Mom made for him was just another reason for them to share the breadth of their ignorance.

    It is sad how people will be so mean, and may cause someone to back away from something they may treasure. My kids do well in school, but the thing I am most proud of is how their teachers say they are nice to their classmates and treat others with respect.
    #4
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/27 16:26:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

    quote:

    Tony Bad, people really poked fun at your co - workers food? That is pretty sad, isn't it?


    It is sad, but true. We worked as lab techs (science geeks...complete with pocket protectors) but the area we worked was primarily a manufacturing area and those guys loved to rip at us anyway...so a guy bringing a picture perfect lunch his Mom made for him was just another reason for them to share the breadth of their ignorance.

    It is sad how people will be so mean, and may cause someone to back away from something they may treasure. My kids do well in school, but the thing I am most proud of is how their teachers say they are nice to their classmates and treat others with respect.


    I'm sure it's true. I work with someone who actually made fun of someone of a different ethnic backround's name. And she thinks that Japanese food, except for teriyaki, "gross." She sure doesn't understand my interest in other cultures and ethnic food. And she COOKS for a living. It makes my head hurt.
    If your kids are nice to their classmates they must be learning it at home. That's very commendable!
    #5
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    • Joined: 2001/06/04 14:01:00
    • Location: Milwaukee, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/27 17:44:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

    I have a book called "Ekiben, The Art of the Japanese Box Lunch." It's a wonderful book published by Chronicle, one of my favorite companies. The photos are all in color and very detailed.
    I also have a cookbook called "Bento Boxes, Japanese Meals on the Go." It's by Naomi Kijima. Great photographs and fun recipes. My daughter and I both collect bento boxes and like to fill them with traditional foods. Thanks for posting the website Yumbo. It's very cool.
    Tony Bad, people really poked fun at your co - workers food? That is pretty sad, isn't it?

    Thanks Zataar. I have two new additions to my Amazon.com wishlist!

    -Yumbo
    #6
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/28 13:13:01 (permalink)
    http://mito.typepad.com/photos/bento/
    you guys will enjoy this lady's boxes via phonecam. Too cool.
    #7
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/28 15:21:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

    http://mito.typepad.com/photos/bento/
    you guys will enjoy this lady's boxes via phonecam. Too cool.

    Very cool, cooler than burnt food, even. Her comments are so nice. There is one box that has her sighing that the lunch she made that day had too much brown in it. I should encourage my daughter to photograph her lunches. She makes similar food and takes it to work in one of her many bento boxes. Her co-workers always want to see what she's brought. And they don't make fun of her!
    I'm definitely sending her this link. Thanks Bill.
    #8
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    • Joined: 2004/12/06 14:11:00
    • Location: Versailles, KY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/29 05:51:44 (permalink)
    They poke fun at your co-worker's bento box that someone took the time to prepare and beautify out of love? I bet the fun-pokers were all eating cold baloney and cheese or peanut butter sandwiches on wonder bread out of a brown paper bag.

    Andrea
    #9
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Bento box art 2005/04/29 10:36:04 (permalink)
    While my efforts were not nearly as elaborate or elegant as the beautiful bento boxes shown, I remember the kindergarten/first grade years of my children.

    The important point is that the creation of the lunch the child takes to school, especially at that age, is that it a link to mom or dad in the middle of the school day. It is stressful to children at that age to be good and learn and become acustomed to being a seperate individual from their family, and the little things in the lunch box can provide some comfort.

    I used to take the time to cut the sandwiches into shapes, tuck in a Hershey's kiss, cut curly veggies etc....put in a drawing or little note.

    I suppose even fixing my husbands lunch the night before as I do sometimes can be seen as an act of love.
    #10
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1