Berardi's potato skin fries

Author
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
2007/07/03 21:38:55 (permalink)

Berardi's potato skin fries

Hi,
I have a regular who comes to my hot dog cart. He often talks about when he was a kid. He lived in Sandusky Ohio. He states that at a place called Cedar Point there used to be a place that sold a paper cone full of french fries. He states they were the best fries in the world, and were served with...believe it or not, white vinegar. I thought this rather odd.
I was curious if anyone has a recipe for these types of fries. It sounded like they were heaven sent. Anyone have in input ? I guess the Berardi family cut ties with Cedar Point, but opened Berardi's family resturant instead. THey do appear on Hollyeats.
Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

Midwestgirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/16 17:21:00 (permalink)
    I have had a cup of fries at our state fair sprinkled with malt vinegar salt.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/17 10:41:09 (permalink)
    There was a show on the food channel that showed a place in NYC called Pomme Frietes (sp) they served double fried fries in paper cones with all kinds of sauces. They said its a french thing.

At a small dirt race track outside Pocono Pa, I was first introduced to malt vinager on fries, I occasionally indulge at home
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/17 12:19:16 (permalink)
    Vinegar on fries is a favorite of mine but only on hand cut fries. Fries from Mickey D's, etc., don't taste good w/vinegar. There is a place at the mall food court that makes steak sub type sandwhiches and they have the hand cut fries and offer several different types of vinegar to douse on them.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/18 01:40:30 (permalink)
    thats carnival/boardwalk fries to me nothing fancy just good eats.
    when i do them at home nice thick cut fries malt vinegar and seasalt or cider vinegar works fine too.leaving the skin on is another type i love like this.
    ron
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/21 22:55:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I just returned from a Gettysburg/Hershey Park vacation. And while I was there I was on my last leg from riding all the rides at Hershey Park. My wife and kids went in search of the standard cheeseburger. I was not game for that. Then all of the sudden I see a sign that says "Boardwalk Fries", I could not get there fast enough. I absolutley am a Boardwalk fries fan. I put on a seasoning called Bayman's, a little salt, and yep, a couple of containers of Malt vinegar. The first taste was heaven. So I immmediatley hit the girl up behind the counter on how it is done. The only thing she knows is that they are fried twice. So now I am on a mission to figure out the whole twice fried fries enigma. I know they are hand cut. Someone said that you have to soak them in real cold water . But I am not sure of any of this. I tell you what though, I would love to try and sell these in Indiana. Any recipes will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Myway
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/21 23:13:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

.....So I immmediatley hit the girl up behind the counter on how it is done. The only thing she knows is that they are fried twice. So now I am on a mission to figure out the whole twice fried fries enigma. I know they are hand cut. Someone said that you have to soak them in real cold water . But I am not sure of any of this. I tell you what though, I would love to try and sell these in Indiana. Any recipes will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Myway

If you do a search on Roadfood for the phrase "fresh cut fries", you will come up with a number of hits, including this one which talks about soaking in cold water: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14119&SearchTerms=fresh+cut+fries
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/26 13:16:48 (permalink)
    soaking in cold water is supposed to remove some of the starch, I like to use cold salted water with a little lemon juice after a short soak (10 minutes or so) pat the fries dry and slip into the hot oil, when just golden remove and drain, salt if wanted and allow to cool. Just before serving return to the hot oil and crisp them up, remove and serve
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/29 10:26:15 (permalink)
    When my late mother made home made french fries,she always soaked them in cold water for a while for the reason you mentioned dreamzpainter,to get rid of excess starch.
    We never used malt vinegar on them at home.But i have put it on fries at Long John Silver's and they were pretty tasty.Love home made french fries,don't bother to make any for myself anymore.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/29 22:57:51 (permalink)
    Cedar Point fries are great. They're a thick fresh cut fry. It's worth the price of admission just to get some fries. There corn dogs are killer as well.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/30 14:25:37 (permalink)
    myway, check Joy of Cooking for twice fried method. I really works great.

You fry the potatoes in oil until limp, not done. Remove and cool. Then fry in much hotter oil until golden brown. This makes a crispy outside and soft inside.

An extra benefit is that after the first frying, they only need a very short second fry. Don't keep folks waiting that way.
    RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Berardi's potato skin fries 2007/08/30 14:32:36 (permalink)
    THRASHER'S FRIES on the boardwalk in Ocean City Md.Best fries around and all they offer is salt and cider vineger.

Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1