Bermuda bound

Author
harbor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/02/24 14:31:14 (permalink)

Bermuda bound

Any suggestions for "must try" restaurants on the island?

7 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/24 15:59:39 (permalink)
    I wish I could help you.  I have been there a couple of times on a weekend with the Air National Guard and I rent a scooter to tour the island and made some stops at various taverns which sold warm beer.  I stayed in Hamilton and I recall no place that stood out.  Sorry.

Rent a scooter and tour the island and stop at several taverns and perhaps sample their menu.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/24 17:33:11 (permalink)
    There was a place called the Lobster Pot that I remember had great Bermuda chowder. Looks like it is still around.

http://www.lobsterpot.bm

Worth a try----it's been 20 years but I still remember having a memorable meal there.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/24 18:34:44 (permalink)
    You don't have to worry about chain restaurants...they're outlawed!

Wherever you go, bring a wad of money, expensive island.
    post edited by joerogo - 2013/02/24 18:36:26
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/24 22:23:59 (permalink)
    Haven't been there since the Mid 70's. Had most of our meals in the Inn where we stayed and they were very good.
    Did the "Sundancer Thing" with Scooters and local roadside joints along the roadways on the outer sections of the Island. That was fun. Great seafood.
    Had an "Anniversary Dinner" in a very nice Restaurant in Hamilton but don't remember the name
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/25 07:25:05 (permalink)
    joerogo

Is the outlawing of chains something new in past few years?  I was there in 2008 and they still had the KFC that was there back in 1997.  Bermuda is indeed on the expensive side.

The Swizzle Inn has good food and of course the signature drink of the Island, the rum swizzle.  Another good drink is the Dark and Stormy with Gosling's Black Seal rum and Barritt's Ginger Beer.  There was an excellent ice cream place across from the Swizzle Inn.  

http://www.swizzleinn.com/

A good lunch place in Hamilton is The Spot, just up from Front Street.  Very good fish chowder.  The Spot, 6 Burnaby Street, Hamilton, Bermuda

Ask a cabbie or bus driver if Fat Man's Cafe is still open.  It's in the middle of nowhere , but they had fantastic fish cakes.  Fat Man's Cafe , 1 Trackside Lane DV 01,  (441) 292-0361

The Lobster Pot mentioned above was very good, but that was back in 1996.  Hopefully it's still going strong.

http://www.lobsterpot.bm/

Flanagan's was a a very good sports bar right on Front Street, and the Frog and Onion Pub at the Royal Naval Dockyard was also enjoyable.

I heard about a place called The Green Lantern but was never able to get there.  It was highly recommended by all the locals.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/25 07:28:54 (permalink)
    eruby

joerogo

Is the outlawing of chains something new in past few years?  I was there in 2008 and they still had the KFC that was there back in 1997.  Bermuda is indeed on the expensive side.

KFC lead to the banning of chain/fast food restaurants.  It was a litter issue.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Bermuda bound 2013/02/25 07:50:08 (permalink)
    joerogo

eruby

joerogo

KFC lead to the banning of chain/fast food restaurants.  It was a litter issue.
    Based on some posts (from 2011) on TripAdvisor, it seems like KFC is the only fast food allowed in Bermuda since 1997. Here is one post:

NOPE...KFC is it...and all of it. By Bermuda law (The Prohibited Restaurant Act 1997), there are no other '..fast food..' restaurants allowed in Bermuda.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1