The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status??

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Thu, 03/3/11 5:41 PM (permalink)
We're planning on going down for the last Shuttle launch in late June and I've been told that the legendary Bernard's Surf restaurant has closed. Can that be true?  Can anyone confirm the current status of this long-time restaurant??

Thanks.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
    Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Thu, 03/3/11 7:58 PM (permalink)
    They are closed.  Go to  Dixie Crossroads in Titusville and have some great rock shrimp!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Fri, 03/4/11 12:53 AM (permalink)
      As the era of manned space flight comes to an end (or, at the very least, a really long pause), Bernard's Surf will not be the only restaurant casualty in the area.

My understanding from speaking from someone who seems to know is that the guy who bought it paid almost top dollar and there was no way that he could have ever made money once the economy started tanking.  A friend ate there not long before they closed and they said that it seemed as though the place had fallen on really hard times - they did say that the food was still good, in a menu-that-has-changed-since-the-60's kind of way.

Obviously. Dixie Crossroads is an excellent alternative.  If you are intent on eating in Cocoa Beach, Roberto's Little Havana is right around the corner (on the northbound side of A1A) from the former Surf.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
        Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Fri, 03/4/11 12:04 PM (permalink)
        The Travelin Man

As the era of manned space flight comes to an end (or, at the very least, a really long pause), Bernard's Surf will not be the only restaurant casualty in the area.
        My understanding from speaking from someone who seems to know is that the guy who bought it paid almost top dollar and there was no way that he could have ever made money once the economy started tanking.  A friend ate there not long before they closed and they said that it seemed as though the place had fallen on really hard times - they did say that the food was still good, in a menu-that-has-changed-since-the-60's kind of way.
        Obviously. Dixie Crossroads is an excellent alternative.  If you are intent on eating in Cocoa Beach, Roberto's Little Havana is right around the corner (on the northbound side of A1A) from the former Surf.

Sadly, I don't think it will be a long hiatus---it will be the end of the US manned spaceflight program. Just as we abandoned the Saturn V/Apollo technology--once you abandon something like that, you can never get it back.

Sad.

Anway, we'll be staying in Cape Canaveral area, so Dixie Crossroads might be too far a drive.

Any good recommendations in Cape Canaveral or Cocoa area?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Fri, 03/4/11 12:21 PM (permalink)
          I don't know that I agree that it is the end of manned space flight forever.  It's a debate for another day, but I think that a lot of things factored in to the shuttering of the shuttle program and the subsequent boondoggle that was Ares/Constellation.  There are folks who I trust that know a lot more about this than me, but these projects were so far behind schedule and so far over budget that the only thing that could have been done was to scrub and start over.  I do think that there will be significant growth in private industry for space flight, though.  So, really it is just the matter of the players changing, but not really the game.

Unfortunately, I don't get up that way too often any more - unless I have someone in town who is just dying to see the Cape or Ron Jon's.  I think most of the food at the Port is ordinary, at best, and not worth the drive.  From where I live, the drive to the Port versus the drive to Dixie Crossroads is nominally different - but, the payoff for DCs is much better than anything at the Port.  Don't get me wrong - I don't think that the places in Cocoa/Port Canaveral are bad, they just aren't marginally enough better for me to justify driving up that way when I have (what I believe to be) better seafood options (among other things) here where I live.

All that said, I do still think that Roberto's Little Havana is worth a stop - especially if you haven't been there before.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
            Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Fri, 03/4/11 6:07 PM (permalink)
            For seafood in Cape Canaveral, I'd go with Fishlips. It's not an unequivocal endorsement, but I prefer it to those around it (Grills, Rusty's & Milikens Reef). Try to get to the nearby Auddino's Italian Bakery (523 Glen Cheek Drive)  for their pastries, cookies & in-house churned gellatos. They also make pizza & sandwiches, but I haven't tried  them.
            http://www.fishlipswaterfront.com/ 

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
              Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Tue, 08/2/11 10:50 PM (permalink)
              Hello all ,
              Used to spend a lot of time down there when my parents had a condo on Merritt Island .
                loved Frankies Wings and Things and tho other places at the Port .
              Hope to get back down there soon
              Benzee

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                Re:Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach, FL--Its current status?? Wed, 08/3/11 12:11 AM (permalink)
                Don't get any further north then Melbourne these days. Couple of I think are worthy of checking there include Rolli's Pork Loin, Mustard's last stand and Memaws BBQ. There is also probably of the few remaining Piccadilly cafeterias there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com